Buffalo News reporting Byrd wants traded by Oct. 29 deadline

YoloinOhio

I agree with the concept that this is the Peters playbook. The Bills did it before with Parker, why wouldn't he do it again? Byrd wants to be paid in the top few safeties in the game and Parker is probably not going to back down, so he is playing his last chit. Byrd, however, pretty much has to play very good though for it to work. Whaley may not want to start his tenure with agents bullying him. The Bills don't have to trade him at all, and Marrone and Pettine are going to know pretty early whether or not he is trying hard and playing well. So far, Marrone has been effusive in his praise for Byrd's effort. That may or may not be true.

If I'm the Bills, there is no way I trade him for less than a #1 pick. It sets a terrible example and precedent. They got a pretty good deal for Peters. I don't at all think that Byrd is necessarily a cancer, that we should punish him, or that he is not going to play well. I expect him to play and play well in hopes of a trade to a team willing to pay him what he wants. There are probably a few teams in the league that are, like the Peters situation. They should have to pony up a very high draft choice, too, or don't let the agent walk all over you, set a precedent.

Then it's perplexing why the Bills elected to tag Byrd, and not look to resign Levitre, if they only had room to sign one of the big FAs?

They know Parker's negotiating style, and probably knew what the contract demands were going to be. If we are to believe that part of Bills hesitation on Byrd was questions of his fit in Pettine's defense, why even bother trying to keep him? They could have spent the cash on the more willing Levitre, let Byrd walk and pick up another veteran safety in the spring.

I don't think this sets a precedent in any different fashion than the Peters fiasco. It's become personal for Bills with Parker and his clients, because the asking price wasn't outrageous based on the going rate for safety contracts.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. I don't really expect Byrd to be traded. Any team trading for him is going to think he is one of the top 3 safeties in the game, because they obviously believe they are going to sign him long term. So perhaps they will be willing to give away a #1, too. I would find that unlikely but the Eagles did it with Jason Peters, and "all it takes is one."

My feeling is if that were true, like in the Peters case, then that team would have been found long ago in the process by either the Bills, Parker, or both.

GO BILLS!!!

Just heard the news about this.

If Byrd wants out, fine, let him go.

But the Bills should get some damn good compensation in return.

I say they should get a 1st round pick for him and if not that, then ask for two 2nd rounders or a 2nd & 3rd rounder, and that's as low as you go.

The Bills should play hardball on this matter. If another team wants Byrd, then be prepared to pay handsomely for him.

If other teams and Byrd don't like it, TOUGH!

Then it's perplexing why the Bills elected to tag Byrd, and not look to resign Levitre, if they only had room to sign one of the big FAs?

They know Parker's negotiating style, and probably knew what the contract demands were going to be. If we are to believe that part of Bills hesitation on Byrd was questions of his fit in Pettine's defense, why even bother trying to keep him? They could have spent the cash on the more willing Levitre, let Byrd walk and pick up another veteran safety in the spring.

I don't think this sets a precedent in any different fashion than the Peters fiasco. It's become personal for Bills with Parker and his clients, because the asking price wasn't outrageous based on the going rate for safety contracts.

I wonder how much the Bills skittishness about his PF injury last season is driving all of this. From a player's perspective, an injury like that should lead him to demand the long term contract ASAFP and not wait around for another year. The team, on the other hand, might have thought that granting a long term deal at a Goldsen level would be too risky given the foot issue.

The ironic thing is that the foot problem is driving fans to claim that he's dogging it, when it might be the reason the Bills never gave him a good long term offer in the first place.

Well, his team mates are the one who are going to bear the brunt of piss poor attitude. Making game day, and scheming decisions difficult. If he is on the side lines collecting 6.9 mil.....well I'm sure players will start to feel different about Bryd's "it's just the business part" stance.

Nobody will ever accuse him of being a leader.

Wood should tell him to "give back the money he isn't earning." The difference between a guy like Wood and this malcontent Byrd is huge.

GG if you let the other side dictate your actions you are doomed. Running away from Eugene Parker is stupid because there will always be players that have him as a rep. Are we supposed to build a roster based on what agent a player has? Do you think that other agents would pick up on that and realize the Bills are easy to push around?

As much as this Byrd situation sucks, the absolutely W-O-R-S-T thing the Bills can do is panic and trade Byrd for crap. This negotiation will set the precedent for the future. If we cave then Parker and every other agent will know the Bills are still an easy mark.

The harder the Bills bargain, the more other agents will know that the new Bills regime is not to be taken lightly.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I don't see the Peters situation as a fiasco. The Bills didn't want to pay him 10m a year. That was the going rate for top LTs. I thought he was worth it and they shouldn't trade him. They found a trading partner and got a #1 for him and didn't pay him 10m (they likely would have paid him 9m). I thought they should pay him because he was worth it but I understood the stance they didn't think he was worth 10m, and they were a little cheaper back then than they are now.

This is the same thing. I think they should pay Byrd top dollar and keep the talent we develop. I didn't think we should pay Levitre what he was going to get on the open market. He was good but I wouldn't pay him top 3 OG money long term. I would pay Byrd that. If another team is going to do what they Eagles did, then entertain that idea. Just don't trade him for a #2 or #3. That is what sets the bad precedent.

Just heard the news about this.

If Byrd wants out, fine, let him go.

But the Bills should get some damn good compensation in return.

I say they should get a 1st round pick for him and if not that, then ask for two 2nd rounders or a 2nd & 3rd rounder, and that's as low as you go.

The Bills should play hardball on this matter. If another team wants Byrd, then be prepared to pay handsomely for him.

If other teams and Byrd don't like it, TOUGH!

100% agree. Clearly, Parker has not found anyone who will give the Bills a decent trade, so him and Byrd are back to whining. I'd tag his a@@ next year and sit him again. Costly, yes, but a message must be sent.

From NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/n...ls-to-trade-him

Really? The Bills have not been trying to get one all off season with Byrd?.

Quite a one sided article. I expect NoSaint to be quoting it a lot.

Agreed...I don't believe that garbage for a minute...I do think the Bills want a home-town deal with Byrd...But I'm certain they wanted to get a long-term deal done, and I'm also certain they offered Byrd a fair deal...The problem is a fair deal is still close to $1.5 mil less annually than the top Safety contract in the NFL...And no way Parker is going to accept that... B-)

GG if you let the other side dictate your actions you are doomed. Running away from Eugene Parker is stupid because there will always be players that have him as a rep. Are we supposed to build a roster based on what agent a player has? Do you think that other agents would pick up on that and realize the Bills are easy to push around?

As much as this Byrd situation sucks, the absolutely W-O-R-S-T thing the Bills can do is panic and trade Byrd for crap. This negotiation will set the precedent for the future. If we cave then Parker and every other agent will know the Bills are still an easy mark.

The harder the Bills bargain, the more other agents will know that the new Bills regime is not to be taken lightly.

PTR

And this. I want a 1st rounder or nothing. If he really is a top 5 safety, some team will trade for that.

My feeling is if that were true, like in the Peters case, then that team would have been found long ago in the process by either the Bills, Parker, or both.

GO BILLS!!!

I think you're right. But if a team thinks they are very close to being great and get an injury or poor play from a safety, they may revisit the concept.

Agreed...I don't believe that garbage for a minute...I do think the Bills want a home-town deal with Byrd...But I'm certain they wanted to get a long-term deal done, and I'm also certain they offered Byrd a fair deal...The problem is a fair deal is still close to $1.5 mil less annually than the top Safety contract in the NFL...And no way Parker is going to accept that... B-)

No agent should accept $1.5mil less than what (s)he feels is fair market value for their client. If Parker felt he could get that much and a long term deal elsewhere then he not only had the right to play it the way he did, but he had the obligation to Byrd as well.

It's just business. Parker and Byrd are looking out for their interests just like the Bills are looking out for theirs. This one seemingly has escalated to a decidedly adversarial situation unfortunately with Bills players and fans caught in the middle.

I think you're right. But if a team thinks they are very close to being great and get an injury or poor play from a safety, they may revisit the concept.

I can see a team being made desperate by injury, but that's an unknown.

I just find it hard to believe that a great team, poised on the brink, ever thinks it's a free safety away from it all. Safeties just aren't in position to put you over the top given their impact on a play by play basis. If a team is that close already, they may be the last team to pay top dollar for a good safety.

Not to revisit a tired theme, but Byrd is not one of those transcendent players that redefines his position.

GO BILLS!!!

Parker shopped Byrd's services all during the off-season. He probably has had a deal-in-principle with a club for some time. The sticking point is that Byrd is not a free man. Parker has a deal that will make Byrd the highest paid Safety - if it's a clean deal. The issue is Byrd commands less of a contract if the other team has to also give The Bills picks.

I think Whaley's going to let Byrd rot and fester this year. Face it. The Bills have squandered more money than this on worthless players - and in the very recent past. The Bills are holding all the cards here. This could go down as an epic FU the likes of which The League hasn't seen since Al Davis benched Markus Allen for "personal reasons".

Ultimately, I agree with Badol... it doesn't matter what Byrd or his agent thinks, wants or says, it matters only how Byrd prepares and plays, and how much other teams are willing to pay for him, which better be very high. Right now, the only thing we know from the Bills is that Doug Marrone thinks Byrd is working his ass off to get better and get out on the field. The Bills should just play him and make him earn his franchise tag pay, and entertain offers for him. Unless they get a great offer, he stays and plays.

I would be shocked if he dogs it in practice or in games, although it is possible, and I would be very surprised if he becomes a locker room cancer. He doesn't seem like that kind of guy. He and Parker are just doing what they are allowed to do under the rules.

I can see a team being made desperate by injury, but that's an unknown.

I just find it hard to believe that a great team, poised on the brink, ever thinks it's a free safety away from it all. Safeties just aren't in position to put you over the top given their impact on a play by play basis. If a team is that close already, they may be the last team to pay top dollar for a good safety.

Not to revisit a tired theme, but Byrd is not one of those transcendent players that redefines his position.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed. I don't think there will be a team to offer a #1 and make him a top 3 salaried safety long term. I would hate to think the new regime is willing to just give him away, especially with our other defensive backfield players at this time.

I don't understand his thinking. He's essentially holding out as long as he can to try to orchestrate a trade. It doesn't sound like he understands the business particularly well, or he's getting bad advice. The team is going to want a ridiculous amount in return, and I can't imagine any team would be willing to give up what the Bills will be asking.

Especially with Parker as his agent.

Edited by gobillsinytown

Been saying all along...get rid of him...he is a good player, but if he doesn't want to be in Buffalo, and feels 7million dollars is "disrespetful" (or is it 6 mill, either way) and can't bare to be that direspected, !@#$ him. I am almost always on the players' side on these issues, but everything about this situation, from day one with the Byrd camp, has rubbed me the wrong way. It is clear, to me, Byrd has wanted out all along, and wasn't going to settle for anything less...so the Bills were forced to us their only option, the franchise tag.

Let Byrd get his big payout from some team in 2014, and then find, in 2015, that he has to agree to a paycut from his new team, or be cut... it is the cycle. After reviewing last season (I forget things more now than I used to, Bills wise) Byrd was a big difference maker in the prime-time game against Miami, and had a great game aganist New England (the close one, that we lost, as opposed to the blow-out), so I don't discount

The Giants are in need of a starting safety...get a number 1 for him, and possibly another CB for depth. Hell, see if they will throw in Ryan Nassib...we could use another rookie QB who knows the system! :lol: