How long does Pettine stay with us?

I thought this might be an interesting topic with not much else going on.

So how long do you think we have Pettine as our DC?

Who do you see as a possible replacement?

I believe if he can bring the Bills defense out of the mire and have them in the top 3rd of the league he could leave for a head coaching job as early as next year.

I think these two gentleman would get the first shot:

Jim O'neil (Bills LB coach) - Spent 4 years with the Jets under Pettine. Defensive quality control coach to being promoted to assistant DB coach.

Chuck Driesbach (Bills LB coach) - Long college career in coaching. To my knowledge he's never coached directly under any of our current coaches.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot obviously depends upon how much the Bills defense improves this season, but I'm going to say it's a minimum of two years. He is perceived as being under Rex's shadow in New York so he'll need more than one year to take that next step to true HC candidate.

I believe if he can bring the Bills defense out of the mire and have them in the top 3rd of the league he could leave for a head coaching job as early as next year.

Jim O'neil (Bills LB coach) - Spent 4 years with the Jets under Pettine. Defensive quality control coach to being promoted to assistant DB coach.

Chuck Driesbach (Bills LB coach) - Long college career in coaching. To my knowledge he's never coached directly under any of our current coaches.

I think the tooting of Pettine's horn is very premature. The defense hasn't even play a down under Pettine, so let's wait and see how the Defense performs over the course of the season before recommending he should be a HC in the league (Dave Wannstedt ring a bell?)

Agreed on Jim O'neil. However I think Donnie Henderson would get consideration as he has NFL coordinator experience, granted it was not with this current system. But let's hope Pettine is successful and still sticks around a bit.

This reminds me of the thread this time last year where people were worried about wannsteadt bolting.

You mean to say that some people might have been wrong about Wanny? I don't think I've heard that mentioned.

The Pettine question is a legitimate one. I say he's gone in two years, in glory, or shame.

This is interesting topic. I am thinking along the lines of what Triple Threat was saying. This defense will be aggressive, rack up sacks and create some turnovers. It will appear to those on the outside that he is a genius. I believe there is some truth in that but Wanny was not only bad but a negative. He got less out of the talent on the team than I thought was possible. Pettine will get them to play to their talent level (at least) which will be a huge improvement that he will get a lot of credit for (a lot of which will be deserved). I guess what I am saying I think that he will do a good job and become overrated because of it. It will appear that he is more responsible for the turnaround than I believe will be the case. With that being said I think that he gets some HC looks next season and is ultimately gone the year after.

Depends on if it was the scheme or the scheme and the players, last year that failed us. We made a number of small moves over the off season, but I'm not so sure they are improvements on paper. If our defense improves with the new scheme, he'll land a bigger/better job in no time flat.

If he's good, he gets his first HC interview 2 years from now and departs within 4 or 5 years.

If he's bad, he gets fired within 2 years. If he's merely mediocre, he lasts 3 or 4 years.

Some of this depends on Marrone's tenure. If we get a new HC, Pettine probably gets replaced at the same time.

Too many variables.

Whoa...whoa..whoa....

Really! WTF, folks?!? I know this is the leanest news cycle in the NFL year, but post some dumb stories or hot chicks. This topic is bottom of the barrel stuff.

Pettine will leave for a HC job after back to back Super Bowl wins. Not a day before!

Really! WTF, folks?!? I know this is the leanest news cycle in the NFL year, but post some dumb stories or hot chicks. This topic is bottom of the barrel stuff.

Pettine will leave for a HC job after back to back Super Bowl wins. Not a day before!

Amen

I think the tooting of Pettine's horn is very premature. The defense hasn't even play a down under Pettine, so let's wait and see how the Defense performs over the course of the season before recommending he should be a HC in the league (Dave Wannstedt ring a bell?)

What a lazy answer. Of course we haven't played a game and it's premature. That's the genesis of the discussion.

Optimistically.

Pessimistically, he does not leave for a HC position, but inherits the interim job for the Bills when Marrone is fired midway through his third or fourth season... in which case, round and round we go. (I would insert smirking devil, but no emoticons via iPad)

Optimistically.

Pessimistically, he does not leave for a HC position, but inherits the interim job for the Bills when Marrone is fired midway through his third or fourth season... in which case, round and round we go. (I would insert smirking devil, but no emoticons via iPad)

Well, THAT ruined my day..

SDS, what, if anything, can be done to access emoticons from iPads? I too feel left out.. : (

It all depends how good the Bills D is and how in demand he is as a head coaching prospect. If the Bills D stinks he is gone soon. If the Bills D is good then its all going to depend on how much attention he is drawing as a head coach. Make no mistake he came here to become a head coach as he will get the full credit for the defense bad or good.

You mean to say that some people might have been wrong about Wanny? I don't think I've heard that mentioned.

The Pettine question is a legitimate one. I say he's gone in two years, in glory, or shame.

I learned from the wanny situation. Way too early to predict anything re the coordinators. it's comical to think that people were worried before the season that wanny would get a HC job. Pettine could be equally bad--who knows?

What a lazy answer. Of course we haven't played a game and it's premature. That's the genesis of the discussion.

That's your opinion.

This conversation was talked about last year with Dave Wannstedt and looked how things turned out. After 13 years of missing the playoffs, I'm not predicting or assuming anything with this team. Some people (like yourself) are assuming Pettine will lead the Bills defense out of the abyss they have been in for years. We need to see Pettine prove it in Buffalo. Will Pettine come up with a good game plan every week? Will he put the right players in the right places? How well will Pettine make adjustments throughout the game. Once a team figures out the Bills weaknesses on defense, will Pettine be able to counter effectively? Those are the questions that should be answered first before we say he'll bolt for a HC position.

Optimistically.

Well, THAT ruined my day..

SDS, what, if anything, can be done to access emoticons from iPads? I too feel left out.. : (

Common man! Learn how to roll your own. I do it all the time on an iPhone even.

Here's a linky that 'splains it in real simple English with pictures 'n everything.

so's ya wants a devil - ya type a colon then the word devil and another colon. no spaces!

ya wants a beer - ya type a colon then the word beer and another colon. no spaces.

Like this - (but with no spaces). Ya take out the spaces and the smiley shows.

: devil :

: beer :

Of course it's premature, but the question is more intended to ask, how long will Pettine remain here IF the Bills D is very good. I say look no further than Seattle for a blueprint for that answer. How long was their D that good before the coordinator got a shot? 2 or 3 years. If we're very good, I say 2 years. Of course, it also depends on how badly Pettine would want to be a H.C. He might prefer to stick to the coordinator position for a while, as he's pretty young still.

Never happen. Only because the Bills are the only team in the league dumb enough to make that sort of coaching move.

Common man! Learn how to roll your own. I do it all the time on an iPhone even.

Here's a linky that 'splains it in real simple English with pictures 'n everything.

so's ya wants a devil - ya type a colon then the word devil and another colon. no spaces!

ya wants a beer - ya type a colon then the word beer and another colon. no spaces.

Like this - (but with no spaces). Ya take out the spaces and the smiley shows.

: devil :

: beer :

Thank you. 'preciatecha'!

I saw a thread on here somewhere wondering who we'll pick first in the 2014 draft.

Training camp hasn't even started yet !! Laugher.gif

Hot chicks, you say? How about some partially naked hot chicks? :)

I am as big of a Bills fan as the rest of you. This has to be one of the most uninteresting threads ever. How long does a DC stay with us who hasn't even coached one game for us??????? WOW.

Must be a very slow day indeed...Can we wait til they at least start hitting other teams much less let a season play out? I know you're all giddy about the new D but his former boss was very critical of the DC's lack of aggression in key situations last year. Now this could be deflection but this year Rex assures the fan base that they're going to return to the aggressive nature of the past. So I'll defer on our new DC until we actually play the game for real & monitor his strategies and adjustment under fire. But hell if he becomes a hot commodity we're all the better because that means that we are winning some games...yay!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This reminds me of the thread this time last year where people were worried about wannsteadt bolting.

Wanny bolted (Rather kicked) to the Buc's as their Special Teams Coach !! :w00t: :w00t:

2 years to prove he is legit 3 years he is a viable HC option.

The other thing we must remember there is great Cords on a bunch of other teams. The Falcons and SF O cords come to mind.

And don't forget the new Browns DC (former DC of the Cardinals). He was the top of the list of HC searches this year, including the Bills. (Ray Horton?)

That's your opinion.

This conversation was talked about last year with Dave Wannstedt and looked how things turned out. After 13 years of missing the playoffs, I'm not predicting or assuming anything with this team. Some people (like yourself) are assuming Pettine will lead the Bills defense out of the abyss they have been in for years. We need to see Pettine prove it in Buffalo. Will Pettine come up with a good game plan every week? Will he put the right players in the right places? How well will Pettine make adjustments throughout the game. Once a team figures out the Bills weaknesses on defense, will Pettine be able to counter effectively? Those are the questions that should be answered first before we say he'll bolt for a HC position.

Another lazy response. I never once assumed Pettine was going to "lead the Bills defense out of the abyss", in fact I said "I believe if he can bring the Bills defense out of the mire and have them in the top 3rd of the league he could leave for a head coaching job as early as next year."

If he CAN then he COULD leave.

It's a hypothetical question, hence you don't have to wait to SEE anything. Kind of like; how many yards do you think Spiller will have from scrimmage?

My response: I think he'll gain 1,400 yards on the ground and another 400 receiving.

Your response: I want to see Hackett's offense first and see how he's getting utilized before I guess.

Do you get it yet?

Wannstedt couldn't do $#!t with our defense last year. Now you want him to ring a bell too?