UPDATE: LB Karlos Dansby good match for new Bills defense scheme?

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this is accurate but I've been wanting Ogletree (and Jordan even though he's not an ILB) for a while now at 8 if we didn't trade down for our QB...I'm wondering if because the Jets got an extra 1st rounder and there's a greater chance they take a QB this shifts Nix and companies mindset to just say screw it and take the QB they want at 8 instead of risking losing 1 or all 3 of the QBs they have targeted with a trade down...

I was wondering about the timing of the Dansby visit myself.

I wonder if it has anything to do with Rolando McClain's arrest? McClain signed with the Ravens for 1 year and $700,000. The veteran minimum one-year deal for Dansby would by about $1 million.

None of McClain's contract is guaranteed so Baltimore, if they cut him, could sign Dansby by spending maybe $300K-500K more.

Anyone have any clue what Harrsion got with the Bengals?

I know it was a 2 year deal, but can not find figures for it....

Dansby should fall somewhere a little bit lower then what Harrison got, correct?

The only reports I've seen so far for James Harrison's contract is that it was for 2 years.

Interesting timing. I expected him to wait until after the draft and target teams that may not have gotten the LB help they wanted.

He may well still wait until the weekend to sign, but its nice to see the Bills being proactive (an hopefully not acting as a stalking horse again).

Funny that you say this because I was looking at it the opposite way. Maybe he is trying to sign prior to the draft before teams plug their LB needs?

Funny that you say this because I was looking at it the opposite way. Maybe he is trying to sign prior to the draft before teams plug their LB needs?

its a strong draft early at ILB, and potentially a lot of prospects to fill very few holes around the league. i think hed be wise to try and push us to sign before, not after.

If he became London Fletcherisk for us that would be awesome

Because Shep is not that player....I thought he could be but I was wrong. He had all that DL talent playing in front of him and couldnt make plays.....

Dansby would be DOMINANT with this DL in front of him

Lets say they sign Dansby. What does our front 7 look like:

3-4

K Williams Branch Dareus

Lawson Dansby Bradham Mario

4-3

Anderson K WIlliams Dareus Mario

Lawson Dansby ???

Just wondering

That is probably pretty accurate

3-4

K Williams Branch Dareus

4-3

Lawson Dansby ???

Just wondering

i would guess bradham in the 43 ????? spot.... but i really dont think we see a ton of 43. the only way i think we go 4 man front is in nickel/dime subpackages if i had to guess, leaving fewer lbs on the field.

He's definitely better than what we have now. But since he's 31, I'm not doing any back flips if we sign him.

Does anyone remember when the Bills let London Fletcher walk because he was over 30? It would be great if we could sign Carlos, and get even half the mileage that the Skins have gotten out of Fletcher.

Go Bills! Ink him.

I was wondering about the timing of the Dansby visit myself.

I wonder if it has anything to do with Rolando McClain's arrest? McClain signed with the Ravens for 1 year and $700,000. The veteran minimum one-year deal for Dansby would by about $1 million.

None of McClain's contract is guaranteed so Baltimore, if they cut him, could sign Dansby by spending maybe $300K-500K more.

The only reports I've seen so far for James Harrison's contract is that it was for 2 years.

I could see Dansby signing a 2 year deal for $3 mil gauranteed, maybe another mil in incentives?

Or he could go the one year deal route which seems to becoming very popular around the league currently?

31 is not old for a LB. They can usually play at a high level for another 3 years.

It seems odd to sign at this point with the draft just a couple days away.

on his part why not wait? Maybe some team will be more anxious to pick him up after they see what they got from the draft??

Dansby showed he's still got something left in the tank. This would be a major upgrade on the defensive side of the ball for us at inside linebacker. It would also keep us from having to draft one early therefore giving us a chance to address other needs. It's a win win if you ask me.

3-4

K Williams Branch Dareus

4-3

Lawson Dansby ???

Just wondering

don't forget Anderson..he'll fill in somewhere on there

3-4

K Williams Branch Dareus

4-3

Lawson Dansby ???

Just wondering

FWIW during last week's mini camp:

On defense when the Bills went in to 3-4 looks, Marcell Dareus played nose tackle a majority of the time. Alan Branch and Alex Carrington played the ends beside him, while Mario Williams was an outside linebacker.

http://www.wgr550.co...ctices/16084776

Also, keep in mind Kyle Williams wasn't practicing.

Edited by uncle flap

I am late but my enthusiasm is full on.

If this gets done,i dont care about cost it aint my money, this could be one of the best moves Nix and co have made.

Dansby is a guy who is a perfect fit for us right now and we waited him out just long enough.

Jeebus, are the Bills starting to look competent ?

Kool aid all around and put it on my tab bartender!!

Very good fun gents very good indeed.

ahem get er done

and of course

Go Bills !!

I think it would be a great pickup if they can get it done. It certainly would lend credence to their wait and see approach. He had a great season last year, seems like he'd be a good fit for what Pettine wants to do. And he has knowledge of the other division opponents to boot.....

Moore's sort of fallen off of the face of the earth. I agree, he'd be a good short-term fix to a line that could use some veteran savy.

maybe we have made him some quiet offer.

like we did Dansby.

"hey man if you cant find anything that suits you give us a call we'd be glad to have you heres my cell# " as Whaley slides a scribbled napkin across the table

Edited by 3rdand12

like we did Dansby.

"hey man if you cant find anything that suits you give us a call we'd be glad to have you heres my cell# " as Whaley slides a scribbled napkin across the table

He probably offered him:

like we did Dansby.

I think that is exactly what happened. Moore was doing the same thing that Dansby was doing. He wanted starter money for a contender. Who could blame them? But this has been a weak FA almost across the board excluding a handful of players. Moore and Dansby weren't interested in visiting teams that didn't meet their wants. Now that the money and teams have died up some, they are lowering their demands and opening more options. Moore will sign with someone, like Dansby will. Just not his first choice or for the money he thought he deserved/wanted.

It seems at this point like Dansby would be more of a two-down linebacker which is fine.

The guy is a warrior and nails against the run.

Nope... he's a 3 downer. Not outstanding in coverage, but definitely no slouch. He is quite outspoken and had several disagreements with the Miami DC last season.

He probably offered him:

ha! oh i should have known Doc !

good stuff. and Kelly

I would very much like to be right and grab Moore also.

But first things first. I sincerely hope Dansby says yes. Takes a big load off the draft and improves the team rather nicely

The bills are gonna look very smart if they can pull this off

ssshhh..

Nope... he's a 3 downer. Not outstanding in coverage, but definitely no slouch. He is quite outspoken and had several disagreements with the Miami DC last season.

okay who is going to keep us up to the minute on this tomorrow ??

Maybe not a Tempo lunch date but i'm a little stoked here