UPDATE: LB Karlos Dansby good match for new Bills defense scheme?

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in. 134 tackles last season and 9 passes defended. Kinda suits what the team needs at ILB/MLB. Depth at LB is more than just a perceived weakness, it's a weakness.

Couldn't have really said it better than this. Well written and well thought out.

money and age were the reason he's not in miami, its probably why he hasn't been signed. the price might be too high

This is where reality hopefully kicks in for Dansby. If he hasn't received a big $ deal by now, it's simply not there in this market.

Oh, he'll take a pay cut just so he can play against Miami twice a year. I like it. He can rush the passer from ILB too. Dansby racked up 25.5 sacks and 10 interceptions between 2004-2010 when he was with the Arizona Cardinals. He's older now but he still has some gas in the tank.

Edited by Rockinon

This is where reality hopefully kicks in for Dansby. If he hasn't received a big $ deal by now, it's simply not there in this market.

Right. This is why he likely signs, IMO. I heard from a pretty decent source the Bills wanted him awhile ago. He probably wanted to see if he was going to get a serious offer either from a contender, or a bunch of money. When neither materialized, he started looking harder. It became down to him and James Harrison for the Bengals, who chose Harrison. Dansby, in all likelihood, likes the idea of playing for Pettine and with the DL in front of him. He probably wanted more but this is a good fit for him.

Now that their board is close to being finished and have gotten some practices in, this speaks perhaps to finally accepting that LB is a serious need?

I think it's more likely that when the Bengals signed Harrison, Dansby knew he wasn't going to get the kind of offer he wanted.

I think he missed 23 total snaps last year.

From Pro Football Focus...

1. Karlos Dansby

One of the top unrestricted free agents regardless of position, Dansby is likely to command a great deal of attention, considering some of his main competition are likely to be tendered restricted free agents. While Dansby is the type of player who can have bad games (he was poor against the Colts in Week 3 and had a stinker of a game against the Saints in the playoffs), he is generally a consistent player comfortable in run support or coverage. He is a sure tackler (missing seven of 113 makeable tackles) with an ability to shed blockers who will generate plenty of interest from 3-4 teams looking for help inside or a 4-3 team looking for help at outside linebacker. While he was exposed by the Saints passing attack, he has the proper tools and is not often caught out of position. Even if his completion percentage against is relatively high (81), he is the most complete linebacker available. Someone is going to put a lot of money in front of Dansby, and most intriguing may be which defensive alignment he ends up in (at PFF, we see him as a better fit as an OLB in a 4-3).

Hard to complain about Karlos Dansby’s play this season. Yes, he did have a value differential of -$4.3m, but teams will end up overpaying at times if they have any hope in retaining top-end talent. Dansby was stout against the run all season. He was seventh in Run Stop Percentage and had a decent Tackling Efficiency of 14.7. Even though he had the 20th-best grade among inside linebackers, he ended up with the 10th-highest Performance Based Value. This was due in large part to Dansby’s extreme durability, as he missed only 23 snaps all season.

I think he missed 23 total snaps last year.

From Pro Football Focus...

and i believe they graded dansby out higher last year than both the replacements miami signed. obviously the end of the road is near but when you have about 10 spots to upgrade, its nice to be able to put a few off a year or two or allow yourself to more slowly develop a late round guy.

31-year-old, so he has a couple good years left of play while a rookie gets seasoning on the PS and ST. This has huge implications for what the Bills can do to offense in the draft. They can spend 3 of the first 4 picks on offense (I figure one pick's a CB), then draft a more raw LB in RD 5-6.

A couple of ILBs could slip into the 5th-6th for various reasons.

• Bruce Taylor ILB Virginia Tech 6'2" 244 - Lisfranc injury drops him here, so recovery time + schooling in Pettine defense=Dansby.

• Albert Rosette ILB Nevada 6'2" 245 - Mountain West, 128 tackles, Wolf Pack's top run stopper, good player on bad team

•  

Keith Pough OLB Howard 6'2" 241 - Another Lisfranc surgery guy. My favorite LB on the back end of the draft.