UPDATE: LB Karlos Dansby good match for new Bills defense scheme?

On an article on CBS's website it lists him as one of 5 key FAs available to fill holes.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pat-kirwan/21892537/2013-nfl-free-agency-how-5-key-guys-should-fit-clubs-plans

A week into free agency, dust is clearing. Here are five key free agents -- Karlos Dansby, Victor Cruz, Ed Reed, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Elvis Dumervil -- and teams which should pursue them.

Has anyone observed Karlos Dansby enough to know whether he is a player to pursue or would not complement Manny Lawson?

If you still have high blood pressure do not read beyond comments on Karlos Dansby.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well he was going to make 8 million this year, so he'd probably be a tad expensive and then Shep sits. He is a MLBer so there is that. I am not at all sure he is in Buddy's price range but I like him.

Seems like they'll need another ILB if they're planning on running the 34, even if it is only part time.

Dansby would be a very good fit, not a perfect fit. But he's surely someone we should be pursuing IMO. Sheppard cannot be counted on. Dansy is still pretty darn good and maybe still very good. He won't be signing for anything close to his 8m contract that MIA decided not to pay. I really hope we will go after him. There are still a couple of interesting LBs left. Brad Jones, Victor Butler, etc. We need one or two of them.

On an article on CBS's website it lists him as one of 5 key FAs available to fill holes.

http://www.cbssports...fit-clubs-plans

Has anyone observed Karlos Dansby enough to know whether he is a player to pursue or would not complement Manny Lawson?

If you still have high blood pressure do not read beyond comments on Karlos Dansby.

Haven't paid a lot of attention to the awesome signing of Bengals backup LB Lawson. have the Bills already handed him a starting job? Just wondering because although a nice signing. Were not getting a prime player here. A rotational player but doubtful he's a 3 down player.

Haven't paid a lot of attention to the awesome signing of Bengals backup LB Lawson. have the Bills already handed him a starting job? Just wondering because although a nice signing. Were not getting a prime player here. A rotational player but doubtful he's a 3 down player.

It depends on your definition of three down player. Right now, Lawson is probably starting, and may well be a three down player.

In one definition, Lawson can be a three down player, meaning you can put him in regardless of what down it is. He can play the run on first down, he can cover and he can rush the passer. He may not be great at them but he can do them all. The reason Pettine likes him a lot is he can be on the field and you don't know which of those three he is going to be doing, so you cannot combat the personnel package the Bills will use with a guy like that.

In the other, more common definition, he will hopefully not be a three down player where he never comes off the field, playing all three downs on every series. He's not good enough right now for that.

But we don't have good LBs, at least not yet. It remains to be seen who will be on the roster on opening day. We remember, we signed Nick Barnett right before the season started two years ago and he was very good (last year, not so much).

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I look at comments like the one by Reggie Bush and think Dansby would be perfect if he would sign an incentive laden contract. The guy makes 100 solo tackles a year and we need an inside backer.

The Dolphins have made clear that they want to remake their roster this offseason, and Bush indicated that he was even more surprised that they cut linebacker Karlos Dansby. “Couldn’t believe that one, because he was the leader of that defense,” Bush said. “He’s one of the few linebackers that I’ve actually played against and played with that I think can do it all.”http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/17/reggie-bush-says-the-dolphins-didnt-want-to-keep-him/related/

I think he's definitely a 3 down player. He's decent at all 3 aspects of the game. Usually the reason a LB is labelled as a 2 down player is because they can't cover. He can cover. I can't envision him not being one of our nickel LBs as well as a starter. He's not a star, but he's versatility is valuable and (with the current roster) should see the most snaps among LBs.

Nah. I'll take Dumervil. We need more passrushers.

Signing Dumervil will likely make is really tough to resign Byrd long term. I see him becoming the highest paid safety if not right behind goldsons contract.

We all would love Elvis...but chances are at about level with a snowball rolling through Mexico in August. he's headed back to Denver

I doubt very much that he even thinks about coming to the Bills, but there is a very real chance he doesn't return to the Broncos. The Denver Post doesn't think he is going to, the Broncos don't have the cap room to do it, and they don't get along well with his new agent. I'd estimate it 50-50 at best that he returns to Denver although it's surely possible. It's not, however, a lock at all.

It is hard to tell, because we really don't know too much about our defensive scheme. We assume it is going to be mutliple front that leans 3-4.... but I am guessing it is going to be more complex than that.

With that said, Dansby would be a huge upgrade for us, no matter the scheme.

It is hard to tell, because we really don't know too much about our defensive scheme. We assume it is going to be mutliple front that leans 3-4.... but I am guessing it is going to be more complex than that.

With that said, Dansby would be a huge upgrade for us, no matter the scheme.

agreed. Pettine would make it work. and he would be a significant player with experience and leadership

Dumervil is worth pushing the cap IMO. very diverse pass rusher.

Ravens are looking into him atm.

Victor Butler maybe.

Just for fun who can list the linebackers we have on staff at the moment without peeking ?

By the way Manny is a very solid pick up. The team must have had their eye on him for awile and got just exactly what they wanted in him.

Well done indeed. Now get one more who can play smart and cover on the inside

Edited by 3rdand12

I doubt very much that he even thinks about coming to the Bills, but there is a very real chance he doesn't return to the Broncos. The Denver Post doesn't think he is going to, the Broncos don't have the cap room to do it, and they don't get along well with his new agent. I'd estimate it 50-50 at best that he returns to Denver although it's surely possible. It's not, however, a lock at all.

I thought his new agent also represents Manning and one comment I read was he chose that agent partly as a 'peace offering' to the Broncos?

Manny Lawson is a good pick up but he is an OLB in a 3-4, not and ILB. Dansby had 136 tackles last year, and made the Dolphins look pretty good. He hasn't missed in two years, so yes he would be a fine pick up in an incentive laden contract or a one year deal. The issue is will someone else come up with more money. He's nowhere near worth 8 million. But for those who keep posting Dumerville, please stop. WE DON'T HAVE or WANT TO SPEND THAT KIND OF MONEY!

Now Dansby for 4 mil, or 5 mil with incentives would be great for us on a maybe a two year deal. With the exception of the Bengals, everyone else on Pat Kirwans list were close to their cap like the Giants, and Ravens. If the Broncos lost Dumerville, then they might consider it.