Bills to let David Nelson walk?

Coach Tuesday

has someone been pumping retard gas into this forum again?

for his career kelsay is a bonafide nfl starting defensive end. hes getting long in the tooth now and like most bonafide starters at this stage he gets fewer reps than he used to but is still in the primary rotation, at least he was as of last season. he isnt/wasnt great but he is good and would have started on half the teams in the nfl during his prime, still might for a needy team

nelson will never have half the career kelsay had. granted, kelsay makes more money, and got one contract that was too big (tho not outrageously so) for his value, but still to portray him like some kind of scrub nobody is absurd. nelson would be lucky to have kelsays level of contribution in this league and to not see that is exactly the kind of irrational hate thats been cast on him for a while now. deal wid it

without any confirmation from the bills or nelson himself its looking more and more like that report was erroneous

He HAS been a scrub nobody for a couple years running at starter money.

For his career, he's been a well below average starter at LDE.

He has been a liability against the run since the moment he entered the NFL. His inability to set the edge from the left side has been a problem from the get go.

His strength has always been that high effort pass rush.

That said, he has only averaged 3.5 sacks per 16 games for his career because he lacks the get-off to get instant pressure and also the ability to close the deal consistently.

He was durable and well conditioned........he could get sealed off and be responsible for a lot of 8 yard runs.......but he would still hustle to chase the play down.

He has been a high effort guy, but he has also been a big part of the problem defensively for a LONG time.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surpised but he is slow and coming off ACL. Too slow and light ot play TE, not fast neough for WR. I would have tendered a low round offer so if he signed elsewhere they could get compensation but he won't be missed.

This isn't how it works. We could give him the minimum tender, but then (because he's UDFA) we would NOT get compensation

We would have to give him a 2nd round tender to get compensation.

Again, just because they did not tender him, it does not necessarily mean that they won't try to sign him. He is coming off a season in which he didn't play at all. I don't think any team is going to break the bank for him.

This. Keep in mind that the average salary for a WR is a bit over $1 million, and the minimum tender is $1.32 million

https://mobile.twitt...116771403329536

"Bills not expected to tender RFA WR David Nelson, who missed all but one game last season because of injury. Nelson expected to be healthy."

If this is accurate, can someone explain the thinking?

I think a lot of our receivers could not stay healthy. It's no surprised given how small they all are. Maybe the thinking is that we are looking to get bigger. Nelson often was called a TE because of the types of things he did.....how he lined up. I think we are going after a real TE. And maybe a big receiver like Bowe.

Really? That's interesting...Do you even bother researching? Or do you just generally get stuff wrong and roll with it?... :thumbsup:

In 3 years with the Bills Jones played in 35 games, and had 82 receptions for 882 yds...6 TD's total

In the same three years David Nelson played in 32 Games, missed an entire Season, and had 94 receptions for 1042 yds, and 8 TD's...In his 2 healthy years (plus one game) Nelson accounted for 53 1st down catches to Jones 42...

So...Anyway... B-)

So both on the team three years. Jones, 82 for 882 and 6 TDs. Nelson 94 for 1042 and 8 TDs. Wow, that's a real upgrade there. I guess you're right. 12 receptions for 160 over three years- 4 receptions and 53 yards per season.

... anyway...

Edited by vincec

Really? That's interesting...Do you even bother researching? Or do you just generally get stuff wrong and roll with it?... :thumbsup:

In 3 years with the Bills Jones played in 35 games, and had 82 receptions for 882 yds...6 TD's total

In the same three years David Nelson played in 32 Games, missed an entire Season, and had 94 receptions for 1042 yds, and 8 TD's...In his 2 healthy years (plus one game) Nelson accounted for 53 1st down catches to Jones 42...

So...Anyway... B-)

I like how you frame 32 vs 35 games as one guy having missed a full season... The other only missing 13 games being unmentioned.

I like how you frame 32 vs 35 games as one guy having missed a full season... The other only missing 13 games being unmentioned.

I know you don't get 10,000 posts without throwing a pointless opinion in there a few thousand times at least.....but this is a weird battle for you to choose.

Jones is hurt A LOT. He also has a non-football related medical issue that caused him to be IR'd this season as well.

Nelson's injury was an isolated incident.

I know you don't get 10,000 posts without throwing a pointless opinion in there a few thousand times at least.....but this is a weird battle for you to choose.

Jones is hurt A LOT. He also has a non-football related medical issue that caused him to be IR'd this season as well.

Nelson's injury was an isolated incident.

I was just pointing out I thought it odd to mention twice that Nelson missed a season, but not reference at all that jones missed significant time. The poster was trying to make Nelson sound a lot more productive (look what Nelson did in two years compared to jones in three). It was a junk way to frame it.

Right because I'm really trying to be ultra-biased here...I'm framing things to make my point look better because I'm exactly that devilishly clever... :doh:

Give me a freaking break dude...The numbers speak for themselves...The point is Nelson was better...Clearly better and more consistent before the injury...

Are you one of those people that just sits around and plays devils advocate for the sake of playing devils advocate? Do you really believe in what your nit-picking?Or do you really, truly, believe that Jones and Nelson were about the same player for the Bills? I'm just curious...

It surprises me how players like Nelson and Kelsay, with comparable ability at their respective positions, can elicit completely different reactions from this board. They are both average players. One is a pariah whose head is constantly being called for and the other is one that everyone is lamenting.

Ya but Nelson has brought a lot more production to the table & he is if nothing else a good depth & team guy that has been & could be a very good red zone WR b/c of his size.

Kelsay i have always liked his presence for the team in the locker room & i always love it when he gets a sack in the end zone good team guy but he may have run his coarse but if they could restructure his contract he would be a great depth player !!

Average talent role players have to be expendable to find real talent. Letting the bubble guys who over achieved to get on the field turn over is the only way to keep growing the team. If you have a mediocre/average player at every poisition guess what you have for a team?

What's the downside? Tender him and if there are better players, cut him with no impact.

The Bills may not tender Nelson because they may intend to sign him to a multi year deal. But thats just logic speaking.

Logically speaking. Logic isn't allowed here. Only panic, an asterisk next to all things Patriots*, and Ralph is cheap. Git r dun

Nope. Only vested veterans (those with 4 accrued seasons in the NFL) get their salaries guaranteed, if they are on the opening day roster.

I thought because these guys are restricted they got that as a reward, like a franchise tag

Reading more, it looks like I may be wrong on that

Edited by NoSaint

Who cares. Nelson was OK but he was never a threat. I think we're going WR at 8 and QB in 2nd.

Too bad for you, TSW's resident Semenole Ramius reports that the Bills aren't tendering Nelson because they are OBVIOUSLY working on a long term extension.

Please proceed with your regularly schedule panicked and illogical behavior.

Donahoe and GW totally scalped the roster and extracted the teams identity when they got rid of the "fat guy" Ted Washington.

Comparing the Nelson situation to Washington is a little surprising. Washington was a proven player. Nelson on the other hand has been our 3rd WR. You got to give the new coaching staff to bring in their kind of players.

Comparing the Nelson situation to Washington is a little surprising. Washington was a proven player. Nelson on the other hand has been our 3rd WR. You got to give the new coaching staff to bring in their kind of players.

I'm not comparing player for player. The Bills have lost tons of quality players to bad decision. That year was just the starting point for something that has been going on for years. New coach comes in, good players go out the door, draft picks get burned to replace them.

I mean, it is crazy all draft picks that have been burned simply to replace players like I have mentioned in many other threads. Milloy for Whitner. Fletcher for Poz. Clements for McKelvin. Pat Williams for McCargo. McGahee for Lynch. Lynch for Spiller. Even Peerless Price leaving lead to the Bills desperate need to draft Lee Evans in hopes of resuscitating Drew Bledsoe....whose production was stifled by losing Price, Riemersma and Larry Centers all to free agency in one offseason. Had they overpaid Price, he probably would have continued to be productive and rather than trading up to get Losman they would have been in position to trade up for the guy Donahoe wanted. Ben Roethlisberger. But I digress......

And no Nelson isn't a great player, but he has been an important player. He lead the team in receptions in 2011 and the chances are good he would have done the same in 2012 if not for his ACL injury. The guy is not a spare part, he is the second best receiver on the Bills roster and by a considerable margin.

The only NFL level receiver on the roster is Stevie, the rest of the WR corps is a joke, and that includes Nelson. I can't believe some people here are describing him as a "good young player." Cutting so many WRs is a good sign that they will bring in not just one but at least two new ones.

but the qb was the problem remember - I've been posting here for three years our wideouts as a group would rank 32nd - lower if they could

I don't get why so many knickers are in a twist on this.

Just because they don't assign him a 2nd round tender (i.e., locking in his salary at $2MM per year) doesn't mean he won't be back. If the Bills want to sign him to a much more reasonable $1 million per year contract, he'll likely be here. If he's as mediocre as many here claim, who's going to throw more money than that at him?

Edited by Lurker

What's the downside? Tender him and if there are better players, cut him with no impact.

Exactly. We're thin at the position already, the guy has proven to be valuable and skilled, and he's relatively cheap for his production. I think they'll tender him for sure, he'll win a job at camp no problem. Unless the knee is completely messed up, that is the only reason he isn't back with us next year.