Bills to let David Nelson walk?

Coach Tuesday

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously? No offense but...The guy got open as well as anybody on this team including Stevie...He's a huge target for a WR...He PRODUCES...How many current Bills players, not just WR's, can you say that about?

It's clear that losing Nelson after 1 game didn't help our passing game in 2012, but is that a function of how good Nelson was, or how bad the rest of our WR corps was allowed to be?

Let's take a look at the facts. In 2011, when Fitz came out with a hot hand and was up at the top of the league for the first half of the season, Nelson had 61 catches for 658 yds. That's not awful, but let's put it in perspective: it puts him as #41 for receptions and #61 in receiving yards, in the league. SJ, our #1, was 76 receptions for 1004 yds.

Top offensive teams such as NE, NO, ATL, NYG had 3 WR (or pass catching TE) in the top 20.

One of us, I forget who sorry, raised a flag actually during last preseason comparing the stats of our WR corp with other teams and saying "um, maybe we're not very good, not competitive with top offense at this position?" Keep in mind too the 2011 stats were on a team where the QB opened the season with a hot hand.

Nelson seems like a fine young man, but perhaps, just perhaps, our new coaches have been watching lots of tape and see something they tag as "really not good enough for what we want"?

Yeah, but they don't need to put a second round tender. They could tender him with a right of first refusal for $1.32M and then match an offer. Even at $2M he's a better WR than Brad Smiff who really could use a change of scenery, IMO.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130122/SPORTS/130129714/1082

If I'm misreading this article I apologize, but I don't think that's an option.

http://www.buffalone.../130129714/1082

If I'm misreading this article I apologize, but I don't think that's an option.

He is a restricted free agent. The tenders like the second round level are to guarantee compensation if someone else signs him. But the $1.32M tender still gives them the right of first refusal, just without compensation if they decline to match.

The Bills have tried to sign RFA's that were tendered without compensation in the past. Israel Idonoje and Reggie Wells are two. The Bears and Cardinals matched those offers.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

I think it's like $1.4M for just a one year committment on a guy who should give you 50 catches. :doh:

Um, no. A right of 1st refusal tender gets you nothing with UDFA if you don't match the offer. It's basically hanging out a sign saying 'here's a player we value enough to tender, help yourself!" A 2nd round tender (since he was UDFA) is $2 million.

Average salary for an NFL WR is something like $1.05 million.

It says if they want compensation it'll have to be a 2nd tender, not that the lower are off the table

"That’s because both players were undrafted free agents, meaning the lowest tender, which corresponds to the original round a player was drafted and is worth $1.323 million in 2013, does not apply to Jones or Nelson."

This really could be written more clearly. I'm not really sure what's the case. I guess regardless the Bills aren't doing it. Now we have Stevie, a track star, and Brad Smith. I hope help is on the way.

....Keep in mind too the 2011 stats were on a team where the QB opened the season with a hot hand......

I have no idea how relevant his "hot hand" was to Nelson.....but just for interest sake....

Fitz had a hot hand for the first 7 games in 2011.

Nelson's averages are:

1st 7 games 2011

4.4 catches/game

52 yards/game

Games 8-16 2011

3.3 catches/game

32 yards/game

Um, no. A right of 1st refusal tender gets you nothing with UDFA if you don't match the offer. It's basically hanging out a sign saying 'here's a player we value enough to tender, help yourself!"

How is that worse than just letting him become an unrestricted free agent? That's tossing the baby out with the bathwater logic.

Not sure if you are very familiar with RFA, but not that many RFA's get signed away because of the right of first refusal. As I pointed out in another post, the Bills have tried to sign untendered RFA's from other teams in the past and have not had much success. As a result, very few rfa's get pursued.

"That’s because both players were undrafted free agents, meaning the lowest tender, which corresponds to the original round a player was drafted and is worth $1.323 million in 2013, does not apply to Jones or Nelson."

This really could be written more clearly. I'm not really sure what's the case. I guess regardless the Bills aren't doing it. Now we have Stevie, a track star, and Brad Smith. I hope help is on the way.

It's very clear, restricted free agents are called restricted because the old team at the very least has the right to match if they make the minimum tender, which in this case is $1.323 M.

The higher tenders just guarantee compensation if the old team chooses not to match a contract offer from another team. A second round tender means that the Bills would get that teams second round pick if they tendered Nelson at that $2M figure and someone signed him to a more lucrative deal.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

How is that worse than just letting him become an unrestricted free agent? That's tossing the baby out with the bathwater logic.

Not sure if you are very familiar with RFA, but not that many RFA's get signed away because of the right of first refusal. As I pointed out in another post, the Bills have tried to sign untendered RFA's from other teams in the past and have not had much success. As a result, very few rfa's get pursued.

It's very clear, restricted free agents are called restricted because the old team at the very least has the right to match if they make the minimum tender, which in this case is $1323 M.

Add to that Nelson is coming off an ACL...I think most teams would shy away just due to that...It's a stupid move not to tender him the minimum (assuming the knee is sound)...Just dumb... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Hopefully this report is inaccurate.

I agree.The guy never drops a pass. We have a great #2 and a great #3 receiver now. And the same guys are decent #1s and #2s. Lets not continue to be 'The Woeful Buffalo Bills' by continuing to create holes that suck or drafts dry.

The only NFL level receiver on the roster is Stevie, the rest of the WR corps is a joke, and that includes Nelson. I can't believe some people here are describing him as a "good young player." Cutting so many WRs is a good sign that they will bring in not just one but at least two new ones.

I'd be very disappointed if this indeed true.

I understood not keeping Jones, but Nelson is a good WR.

Why not give him at least a 1 year tender? See what he does through training camp and preseason, and if you aren't impressed, cut him then.

Cutting a good player who has been consistent and an actual threat on offense makes little sense.

The Bills are really going to have to address this position, probably in both free agency and the draft.

The only NFL level receiver on the roster is Stevie, the rest of the WR corps is a joke, and that includes Nelson. I can't believe some people here are describing him as a "good young player." Cutting so many WRs is a good sign that they will bring in not just one but at least two new ones.

FIne. Bring in two more WR's.

In the meantime, why not keep Nelson?

I don't think people on this board are saying that Nelson should be a starter.

At the very least, why not keep him for depth? He would be a good #4 or #5 WR. Is that unreasonable?

Wow! Did not see this one coming...Have to say I'm disappointed...He won't be a Free Agent long... B-)

I'd LOVE to hear the explanation of why Kelsay and Fitz are still on this Roster, but Nelson is not... <_<

Because they were signed 20 months prior to Nelson?

This really pisses me off. My favorite player. Solid receiver. A go to guy, tall, and able to get open. Better not replace him with a 5'10" track star who is fast but only two years of football experience.

Boooooooooooooo!!!!

Your favorite player? Lol

It surprises me how players like Nelson and Kelsay, with comparable ability at their respective positions, can elicit completely different reactions from this board. They are both average players. One is a pariah whose head is constantly being called for and the other is one that everyone is lamenting.

Or how about.... One is severely over paid, while one hasn't been paid s#it.

https://mobile.twitt...116771403329536

"Bills not expected to tender RFA WR David Nelson, who missed all but one game last season because of injury. Nelson expected to be healthy."

If this is accurate, can someone explain the thinking?

No biggie, we could lose ever WR on this team and it wouldn't be a problem. Our WRs need a complete overhaul and by the looks of it we will (minus Stevie and Graham) :thumbsup:

How about we hold onto good young players for a change? Nah, let's just keep repeating the things that have got us to this point.

you mean all the UDFAs and 7th rounders? No thanks. It's one thing to find some gems in the late rounds but not all of them.

They may be trying to get the number one pick next year, I am starting to think.

What's wrong with that? What's one more losing season to get a franchise QB, whereas this draft has a lot of maybes.

I'd be very disappointed if this indeed true.

I understood not keeping Jones, but Nelson is a good WR.

I

FIne. Bring in two more WR's.

In the meantime, why not keep Nelson?

I don't think people on this board are saying that Nelson should be a starter.

At the very least, why not keep him for depth? He would be a good #4 or #5 WR. Is that unreasonable?

I agree. Also consider that there are too many needs rifht now. Letting Nelson walk will make an already gaping hole wider. I hear that the O philosophy is different but he has good hands and I venture to think he can do adequately under a diffrebt playbook also. I wonder if this has something to do with his injury. Jones, I said good riddance bit Nelson I would like to keep for at least one season to see how he performs in the new O and presumably a different Aplayer throwing to him.

Note- editing on a mobile phone sucks

Edited by Fan in Chicago