Bills to let David Nelson walk?

Coach Tuesday

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New coach, new players.

It was a subtle undertone of the discussion with whether to keep chan. When a guys spent 3 years building his team do you start over with a new vision, or let him try to get the final piece at qb

Injuries didn't help Chan's success rate (Fred, Nelson, Wood, Mario, Anderson, etc) and we are not patient fans- so I'll give you that...but some of Chan's playcalls and team management are what caused his ouster. He was in over his head as a game manager and offensive playcaller.

I was hoping Marrone would keep Nelson as a tall receiver (which we desperately need). Right now our WR crew (absent Nelson) probably averages 5'11"

If you're putting 53 apples in a basket, how do you choose which apples to value? Do you look at it as a business decision like what was likely done with Barnett and Wilson? Do you look at it like it is a football decision like was done with Jones? Do you look at it as though there are other apples out there, which could be what is being done for Nelson? Do you keep your favorite and stick with Kelsay?

It seems hard to justify not tendering him an offer and not valuing his contribution. He is like Brad Smith. He offers something that you do not have in many other players. Letting him go is not a good idea, but keeping him may not be the best idea. Somewhere in the middle there needs to be justification in what they are doing - and since they hold the key they know the pieces they want. Lets hope that they are the pieces that form success.

This board is going to melt down when they draft a safety or RB at #8

If he's healthy, letting Nelson walk would make no sense.

It's easy to just be like "hey new coach, new philosophy, new players" but who has more experience with nonsense decisions on personnel by new coaching staffs that than Bills fans?

Nothing we can do about it, but it would be nice to see things done differently for a change.

Donahoe and GW totally scalped the roster and extracted the teams identity when they got rid of the "fat guy" Ted Washington.

Jauron and Levy totally screwed themselves with their foolish insistence on using their early round picks to swap out guys like Milloy, Fletcher and Clements. Milloy being cut brought us the joy of Whitner. Milloy was old but he was starting for a better football team than Buffalo for 3 more years after that.

Buddy and Chan had to have their man Spiller so bad that they gave away Marshawn Lynch, the third most productive back in the NFL this year...... for a day 3 draft pick.

I am not saying Nelson is a star player, but there are only so many chips at their disposal to improve their team and if letting Nelson walk means having to use one of those 6 draft picks to replace him then it is just more of the same. By my count, they have just 1 capable NFL receiver under contract: Stevie Johnson. Nelson would be the second best. The idea of expecting any of the other WR on the roster to be anything more than a 4th or 5th receiver is a bit optimistic. I know they picked TJ Graham in round 3 but he has MAJOR issues with his hands, both catching the football and not fumbling it after the catch.

See my post above.

Look, if this was 2002 and Bill Parcells was taking over with his shiny SB rings in hand.......your take makes sense.

But MARRRRRRRONE.........we have seen this before. Unproven coach comes in and starts trimming away useful players from a roster that is not really all that good to begin with. Those players then need to be replaced. Important draft picks are subsequently used to repair self inflicted damage and progress is not made. Very old story in Buffalo.

Let us just hope they are just trying to low ball him, so they can sign a decent player (also they they aren't losing a J. Greer). Also they want Stevie in the slot, Donald Jones then becomes receiver #4

Here's the problem, since Nelson was undrafted he has to be tendered as a second rounder. It's the same situation as Donald Jones. Basically the Bills are being punished for taking two undrafted guys and turning them into something. Hopefully the Bills and Nelson will work something out and he'll be back, but I doubt they'd pay him what a second round tender would cost. I think it sucks to keep poking holes in the roster as well, but I understand why these decisions are being made. I just hope there is a plan in place for replacing the holes being made.

Nice points can't say I totally agree but we have seen it before, it is true. I sort of like Donald Nelson too and don't want to see him a Pat*

I'd be very disappointed if this indeed true.

I understood not keeping Jones, but Nelson is a good WR.

Why not give him at least a 1 year tender? See what he does through training camp and preseason, and if you aren't impressed, cut him then.

Cutting a good player who has been consistent and an actual threat on offense makes little sense.

The Bills are really going to have to address this position, probably in both free agency and the draft.

FIne. Bring in two more WR's.

In the meantime, why not keep Nelson?

I don't think people on this board are saying that Nelson should be a starter.

At the very least, why not keep him for depth? He would be a good #4 or #5 WR. Is that unreasonable?

For 2 million? Not so sure, kind of high priced. I am now officially on the fence about it.

Edited by bowery4

What concerns me the most is that it would appear to be yet another example of a coaching staff that chooses a system, instead of designing a system around players' strengths. Nelson gets open, has the length to create mismatches, rarely drops the ball, and a high percentage of his catches result in first downs or TDs. If Marrone can't find a way to use him, it does not bode well...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Injuries didn't help Chan's success rate (Fred, Nelson, Wood, Mario, Anderson, etc) and we are not patient fans- so I'll give you that...but some of Chan's playcalls and team management are what caused his ouster. He was in over his head as a game manager and offensive playcaller.

I was hoping Marrone would keep Nelson as a tall receiver (which we desperately need). Right now our WR crew (absent Nelson) probably averages 5'11"

? :unsure:

The shortest WR on the team is 5'11".

Let us just hope they are just trying to low ball him, so they can sign a decent player (also they they aren't losing a J. Greer). Also they want Stevie in the slot, Donald Jones then becomes receiver #4

Donald Jones is already gone.

I know - just pointing out that this was part of the undercurrent of the downside of firing him. I know he earned that firing, especially down the stretch.

One possible cheap free agent I could see filling the 2nd/3rd wr role for a couple years would be devery Henderson from the saints. Won't get you that excited but knows marrone, likely a similar system, plays on the outside if Stevie goes to the slot more, and might be that vet on field coach for the offense like people keep seeking in jets defenders

Nelson's mismatch is against LB's near the endzone, he can't get open certainly on the 1-2 corner he showed that in 2011 and has a lot of trouble against the 3-4 as well. His biggest skill is that he is 6 foot 5

James Hardy had that skill too.

Those of you saying "who cares, he sucks anyway" just amaze me. Do you realize that you - and the Bills - have been wrong about these things ALMOST EVERY SINGLE TIME? You could literally build an All Pro roster out of guys the Bills have let walk over the past decade, yet the guys they keep and draft to replace the ones who left can't muster a winning record.

Mark my words: Nelson will succeed elsewhere. Just like almost every other player you folks couldn't wait to get rid of. Many of you are just terrible talent evaluators. Those of us banging the table to keep Pat Williams, Winfield, Lynch, Peters, Leonard, Whitner, etc., were right more often than you (and the Bills) were.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

https://mobile.twitt...116771403329536

"Bills not expected to tender RFA WR David Nelson, who missed all but one game last season because of injury. Nelson expected to be healthy."

If this is accurate, can someone explain the thinking?

This really make zero sense to me...The only possible explanation would be if the knee was no responding at all...Otherwise how do you not tender this Kid? He's a great Kid...He's been productive for his position as the #3 WR...He's REAL tall for a WR...And coming off the ACL, it's only going to take the minimum tender to retain him...This is a REAL head-scratcher to me... B-)

eh. I was done with him after seeing that retarded, self-serving TD celebration he did with his (hot) cheerleader girlfriend when his team was getting blown out on the road in Dallas. give me a guy with a little less skill and a burning competitive fire and I'll take him any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Edited by Dawgg

Nelson's mismatch is against LB's near the endzone, he can't get open certainly on the 1-2 corner he showed that in 2011 and has a lot of trouble against the 3-4 as well. His biggest skill is that he is 6 foot 5 and he can catch passes that Fitz or Tebow threw (fixed).

The one thing I admired about him the most was he didn't care if he would get hit he would go for it anyway (which yes, lead to injury).

Hate to say it, but hand-wringing over whether or not the Bills re-sign Nelson is typical Bills fan rubbish -- that I'm often guilty of myself. We overestimate the value of serviceable players on a crappy team, simply because they were "our" guys. Nelson is a terrific human being, but is he a difference maker? He has no speed and is coming off a major injury. He wasn't even drafted. I don't think this is a big deal at all, one way or the other.

I have to say that despite all the hosannahs from most of the people in this forum, I have grave misgivings about this new coaching staff. This seems like an idiot move to me. One where they think they are being so smart but they are not.