Bills to let David Nelson walk?

Coach Tuesday

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It surprises me how players like Nelson and Kelsay, with comparable ability at their respective positions, can elicit completely different reactions from this board. They are both average players. One is a pariah whose head is constantly being called for and the other is one that everyone is lamenting.

This really pisses me off. My favorite player. Solid receiver. A go to guy, tall, and able to get open. Better not replace him with a 5'10" track star who is fast but only two years of football experience.

Boooooooooooooo!!!!

New coach, new players.

It was a subtle undertone of the discussion with whether to keep chan. When a guys spent 3 years building his team do you start over with a new vision, or let him try to get the final piece at qb

It surprises me how players like Nelson and Kelsay, with comparable ability at their respective positions, can elicit completely different reactions from this board. They are both average players. One is a pariah whose head is constantly being called for and the other is one that everyone is lamenting.

Well...One was an undrafted kid who made next to nothing cap-wise, and made plays...The other is a grossly overpaid vet who constantly disappeared on some of the worst Defenses in team history...So... B-)

I'm already pissed they let George Wilson go, but that one I could KIND OF see. I will be extremely pissed if this is true as it makes ZERO sense. He is as dependable a #3 receiver as you're going to find. Do they need an upgrade at WR? Yes, but Nelson is very good at what he does.

And they may be asking their WRs to do something different.

Until we see the final 53 and a bit of the playbook it's hard to comment. He's not irreplaceable though, and the report is still unconfirmed too

Until we see the final 53 and a bit of the playbook it's hard to comment. He's not irreplaceable though, and the report is still unconfirmed too

If you're putting 53 apples in a basket, how do you choose which apples to value? Do you look at it as a business decision like what was likely done with Barnett and Wilson? Do you look at it like it is a football decision like was done with Jones? Do you look at it as though there are other apples out there, which could be what is being done for Nelson? Do you keep your favorite and stick with Kelsay?

It seems hard to justify not tendering him an offer and not valuing his contribution. He is like Brad Smith. He offers something that you do not have in many other players. Letting him go is not a good idea, but keeping him may not be the best idea. Somewhere in the middle there needs to be justification in what they are doing - and since they hold the key they know the pieces they want. Lets hope that they are the pieces that form success.

If you're putting 53 apples in a basket, how do you choose which apples to value? Do you look at it as a business decision like what was likely done with Barnett and Wilson? Do you look at it like it is a football decision like was done with Jones? Do you look at it as though there are other apples out there, which could be what is being done for Nelson? Do you keep your favorite and stick with Kelsay?

It seems hard to justify not tendering him an offer and not valuing his contribution. He is like Brad Smith. He offers something that you do not have in many other players. Letting him go is not a good idea, but keeping him may not be the best idea. Somewhere in the middle there needs to be justification in what they are doing - and since they hold the key they know the pieces they want. Lets hope that they are the pieces that form success.

Yup - currently, they know the vision. The defense we know is changing but the offense will be too and that seems pretty well forgotten outside of qb talk. This might be the reminder this board needs. Some more than others but we all have made a lot of baseless assumptions on what we will see. This might be the gut check we need to remember that we don't know what pieces are being sought yet alone how they will fit together.

We are seeing just the tip of the iceberg currently. Free agency will hopefully give some more clues, the draft some more and so on. Hopefully when the big picture is revealed it's nice to look at.

I don't get all the sadness and disappointment here today. Nelson was the second best receiver on this team right? What was the teams record again?

Let the chips fall where they may. I liked Barnett, Wilson, and Nelson but if they have to go so the Bills can get better then get er done! Tough decisions will have to be made by Marrone and staff. Let them make them.

If he's healthy, letting Nelson walk would make no sense.

It's easy to just be like "hey new coach, new philosophy, new players" but who has more experience with nonsense decisions on personnel by new coaching staffs that than Bills fans?

Nothing we can do about it, but it would be nice to see things done differently for a change.

Donahoe and GW totally scalped the roster and extracted the teams identity when they got rid of the "fat guy" Ted Washington.

Jauron and Levy totally screwed themselves with their foolish insistence on using their early round picks to swap out guys like Milloy, Fletcher and Clements. Milloy being cut brought us the joy of Whitner. Milloy was old but he was starting for a better football team than Buffalo for 3 more years after that.

Buddy and Chan had to have their man Spiller so bad that they gave away Marshawn Lynch, the third most productive back in the NFL this year...... for a day 3 draft pick.

I am not saying Nelson is a star player, but there are only so many chips at their disposal to improve their team and if letting Nelson walk means having to use one of those 6 draft picks to replace him then it is just more of the same. By my count, they have just 1 capable NFL receiver under contract: Stevie Johnson. Nelson would be the second best. The idea of expecting any of the other WR on the roster to be anything more than a 4th or 5th receiver is a bit optimistic. I know they picked TJ Graham in round 3 but he has MAJOR issues with his hands, both catching the football and not fumbling it after the catch.

I don't get all the sadness and disappointment here today. Nelson was the second best receiver on this team right? What was the teams record again?

Let the chips fall where they may. I liked Barnett, Wilson, and Nelson but if they have to go so the Bills can get better then get er done! Tough decisions will have to be made by Marrone and staff. Let them make them.

See my post above.

Look, if this was 2002 and Bill Parcells was taking over with his shiny SB rings in hand.......your take makes sense.

But MARRRRRRRONE.........we have seen this before. Unproven coach comes in and starts trimming away useful players from a roster that is not really all that good to begin with. Those players then need to be replaced. Important draft picks are subsequently used to repair self inflicted damage and progress is not made. Very old story in Buffalo.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Here's the problem, since Nelson was undrafted he has to be tendered as a second rounder. It's the same situation as Donald Jones. Basically the Bills are being punished for taking two undrafted guys and turning them into something. Hopefully the Bills and Nelson will work something out and he'll be back, but I doubt they'd pay him what a second round tender would cost. I think it sucks to keep poking holes in the roster as well, but I understand why these decisions are being made. I just hope there is a plan in place for replacing the holes being made.

Here's the problem, since Nelson was undrafted he has to be tendered as a second rounder. It's the same situation as Donald Jones. Basically the Bills are being punished for taking two undrafted guys and turning them into something. Hopefully the Bills and Nelson will work something out and he'll be back, but I doubt they'd pay him what a second round tender would cost. I think it sucks to keep poking holes in the roster as well, but I understand why these decisions are being made. I just hope there is a plan in place for replacing the holes being made.

So (approx) what would Nelson salary be for 2013 with that 2nd Round tender? Just curious... B-)

We'll see what happens. He's the kind of guy a team like New England likes to pick up - a good, consistent role player (not to mention, he could probably fill in for Hernandez at times...) or a Bronco type hire.

Obviously Pettine has a distinct look he's going for on his Defense, and you can be sure there'd be a few more players gone if he could just replace whomever he wished - and, most of us trust and like wherever he wants to take us on Defense.

Hackett and Marrone come in and there aren't as many changes on the offense - nevertheless, IF Marrone and Hackett decide they want to give this offense their own stamp, and can do so this year, then I'm all on board. I'm just excited to see what we've got to work with come training camp!