Bills to let David Nelson walk?

Coach Tuesday

Those of you saying "who cares, he sucks anyway" just amaze me. Do you realize that you - and the Bills - have been wrong about these things ALMOST EVERY SINGLE TIME? You could literally build an All Pro roster out of guys the Bills have let walk over the past decade, yet the guys they keep and draft to replace the ones who left can't muster a winning record.

Mark my words: Nelson will succeed elsewhere. Just like almost every other player you folks couldn't wait to get rid of. Many of you are just terrible talent evaluators. Those of us banging the table to keep Pat Williams, Winfield, Lynch, Peters, Leonard, Whitner, etc., were right more often than you (and the Bills) were.

Josh reed? James hardy? Demetrius Bell? Lee Evans?

Lynch was sad to see go. The fans ran him out. He was on thin ice here as well. One more problem and he was looking at a long suspension.

Whitner is not highly regarded in the league, just plays on a good team.

Jason Peters is over paid, over rated, can't stay healthy, even then they don't like him in Philly.

Hasn't Jim Leonard been everywhere? Where is he now?

I am not neccasariy disagreeing with you, but you can't just make a blanket statement like I am always right your always wrong, or the Bills only let the good ones go.

It seems the players released from the Bills haven't really been getting picked up as of late or lasting very long. There are some heart breakers for sure.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of you saying "who cares, he sucks anyway" just amaze me. Do you realize that you - and the Bills - have been wrong about these things ALMOST EVERY SINGLE TIME? You could literally build an All Pro roster out of guys the Bills have let walk over the past decade, yet the guys they keep and draft to replace the ones who left can't muster a winning record.

Mark my words: Nelson will succeed elsewhere. Just like almost every other player you folks couldn't wait to get rid of. Many of you are just terrible talent evaluators. Those of us banging the table to keep Pat Williams, Winfield, Lynch, Peters, Leonard, Whitner, etc., were right more often than you (and the Bills) were.

No biggie one way or the other. No offense will be built around this guy. Succeed elsewhere? Perhaps. He won't be front and center for anyone. A mere contributor that can and will be replaced.

I haven't seen anyone say he sucks.

Hate to say it, but hand-wringing over whether or not the Bills re-sign Nelson is typical Bills fan rubbish -- that I'm often guilty of myself. We overestimate the value of serviceable players on a crappy team, simply because they were "our" guys. Nelson is a terrific human being, but is he a difference maker? He has no speed and is coming off a major injury. He wasn't even drafted. I don't think this is a big deal at all, one way or the other.

I guess it should be pointed out first that we still don't have any confirmation on this report...Starting to look like it could be bull...When they announced the Donald Jones decision they had already spoke with DJ...So there is that...

Secondly, I just don't see how any Bills fan who is against letting Nelson walk is overvaluing the kid...He's a role player and everyone knows that...He's not a #1, or a #2 WR, on most any NFL team...What he is when healthy...And this part is ULTRA important...Nelson actually knows his role and PRODUCES in that role...On a team that is so full of underachievers I sometime wonder if we'll ever see winning football again, Nelson is clearly a beacon of hope...In that, simply, the guy goes out and does his job better than most everyone thought he could...Is he spectacular? No...Do you need guys like him to win in the NFL?...Absolutely you do...I don't see how you can overvalue a player like that...Even at the 2nd round tender you know EXACTLY what you are going to get with Nelson (again assuming the knee is good)...He's been rock solid since the first day he stepped into the role...32 1st Down receptions in 2011 as the Bills slot WR...His size makes him a mismatch for smaller DB's...And I'm kind of laughing at some of this "he's slow" talk I'm seeing in this thread because of all the Bills WR's Nelson manages to get WIDE open an awful lot...Sure he's not a track guy...But he's a very good route runner who has a feel for the passing game...

I simply don't see how any team gets better by letting a guy like Nelson walk...Especially under the current RFA restrictions on Nelson...If he's a UFA and some team wants to pay him $5 million annually...OK...I can see letting him go...If the knee is not healing properly...OK...I get it...But cutting a healthy David Nelson loose to save $1-2 million cap dollars when all you have at WR is Stevie Johnson and TJ Graham??...Good grief...If it happens I'm thinking Buddy is definitely still in charge...Because it's a dumb, dumb move...Which is exactly what Nix is best at... B-)

Doesn't make sense, worst case tender the guy a 3rd rounder, so when some signs him you at least a 3rd for him.

That doesn't exist.... So.... If you want compensation you need to offer 2m+ and that'd be second round (and no team would give that so you'd essentially be locking in a 2m deal)

eh. I was done with him after seeing that retarded, self-serving TD celebration he did with his (hot) cheerleader girlfriend when his team was getting blown out on the road in Dallas. give me a guy with a little less skill and a burning competitive fire and I'll take him any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Well I'll give you that one...The whole girlfriend thing in Dallas was embarrassing...I could not even watch...I threw up in my mouth a bit... :sick:

Still...I think Nelson has a ton of the competitive fire you speak of...This is a kid that was undrafted and worked his ass off to get where he got to...As far as general make-up goes, I'm not sure you can do much better than Nelson from an attitude standpoint...He's a hard working kid with a ton of intangibles... B-)

This thread is a monument of just how weak our receiving corp is. Yes, I like David Nelson, but this news really isn't that big a deal IMO.

I am guessing they have a plan at the position and David doesn't fit in.

We'll be OK.

jb

Josh reed? James hardy? Demetrius Bell? Lee Evans?

Lynch was sad to see go. The fans ran him out. He was on thin ice here as well. One more problem and he was looking at a long suspension.

Whitner is not highly regarded in the league, just plays on a good team.

Jason Peters is over paid, over rated, can't stay healthy, even then they don't like him in Philly.

Hasn't Jim Leonard been everywhere? Where is he now?

I am not neccasariy disagreeing with you, but you can't just make a blanket statement like I am always right your always wrong, or the Bills only let the good ones go.

It seems the players released from the Bills haven't really been getting picked up as of late or lasting very long. There are some heart breakers for sure.

Jason Peters was indeed injured last year, but in 2011 he was hands down the best left tackle in the NFL. Let's not lose sight of this fact.

It surprises me how players like Nelson and Kelsay, with comparable ability at their respective positions, can elicit completely different reactions from this board. They are both average players. One is a pariah whose head is constantly being called for and the other is one that everyone is lamenting.

THANK YOU

I hope I'm not the only one that got this.

Heard something about a party in the garden, right?

Hard to say now what the team is thinking, but neither Nelson nor D. Jones were ever going to be dependable second receivers. They need better. At the same time, the WR group isn't deep or talented. I guess they feel a 3rd or 4th WR isn't worth a second round tender or know they can improve. Either way, it's a position very weak.

Those of you saying "who cares, he sucks anyway" just amaze me. Do you realize that you - and the Bills - have been wrong about these things ALMOST EVERY SINGLE TIME?

If they're wrong every single time then if they had decided to keep him that would've been wrong too, right? A tough spot to be in when every personnel move you make is wrong.

Jason Peters was indeed injured last year, but in 2011 he was hands down the best left tackle in the NFL. Let's not lose sight of this fact.

But we excel at losing sight of facts. Don't mess with what works.

No biggie one way or the other. No offense will be built around this guy. Succeed elsewhere? Perhaps. He won't be front and center for anyone. A mere contributor that can and will be replaced.

I haven't seen anyone say he sucks.

THANK YOU

You do realize that you just thanked someone for one of the dumbest comparisons ever posted on TSW. KOKBILLS summed it up pretty well, but let me add that if Nelson was 34 and had the third highest cap figure on the roster...as a backup....I don't think we wouid see him being "lamented".

The Kelsay defenders make out the disdain for Kelsay like it is a personal vendetta against him. What are you getting at? I don't really know why people like you and vincec would think that is the case.

This is the reason; As as a fan we discriminate against old, unproductive and grossly overpaid players. Thats the nature of the game.

It's not personal. Nobody is calling him an a-hole, they are saying as a player he does not bring enough to the table.

The disdain is elevated with each passing season where Kelsay is retained at high dollars and lays yet another egg.

Nelson is a young guy, he has been playing for peanuts for his first 3 seasons and he is a useful player. Is he great? No. But he is the second best WR on a team that figures to be in a lot of 3 wr sets. He is also kind of a hybrid TE/WR and a good blocker, a big target that would by any measure seem to be a nice player to have around if breaking in a young QB.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over losing ANY Bills player, but just from a standpoint of logic, letting David Nelson leave seems like an invitation to more of the same, trading out one good player for another potentially good player on draft day. That is not progress.

Speed is overrated in my opinion. Nelson runs good routes and has maybe the best hands on the team. And as a bonus, he's tall enough that an accurate QB can put the pull in his hands and well out of the reach of 5' 10" DBs. Maybe the Bills just don't have any plans to have a QB who can throw accurately.

For all the speed TJ Graham has, what good is it if you don't catch the ball when it's thrown right to you?

You do realize that you just thanked someone for one of the dumbest comparisons ever posted on TSW. KOKBILLS summed it up pretty well, but let me add that if Nelson was 34 and had the third highest cap figure on the roster...as a backup....I don't think we wouid see him being "lamented".

The Kelsay defenders make out the disdain for Kelsay like it is a personal vendetta against him. What are you getting at? I don't really know why people like you and vincec would think that is the case.

This is the reason; As as a fan we discriminate against old, unproductive and grossly overpaid players. Thats the nature of the game.

It's not personal. Nobody is calling him an a-hole, they are saying as a player he does not bring enough to the table.

The disdain is elevated with each passing season where Kelsay is retained at high dollars and lays yet another egg.

Nelson is a young guy, he has been playing for peanuts for his first 3 seasons and he is a useful player. Is he great? No. But he is the second best WR on a team that figures to be in a lot of 3 wr sets. He is also kind of a hybrid TE/WR and a good blocker, a big target that would by any measure seem to be a nice player to have around if breaking in a young QB.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over losing ANY Bills player, but just from a standpoint of logic, letting David Nelson leave seems like an invitation to more of the same, trading out one good player for another potentially good player on draft day. That is not progress.

The fact is that Kelsay has been MORE productive than Nelson over the course of his career. Nelson is not even a starting caliber WR on a team with very weak WRs. He is a role player, just like Kelsay. Honestly, all the crying about Nelson is a joke. I think that people on this board have been watching mediocrity for too long to see it for what it is.

I guess it should be pointed out first that we still don't have any confirmation on this report...Starting to look like it could be bull...When they announced the Donald Jones decision they had already spoke with DJ...So there is that...

Secondly, I just don't see how any Bills fan who is against letting Nelson walk is overvaluing the kid...He's a role player and everyone knows that...He's not a #1, or a #2 WR, on most any NFL team...What he is when healthy...And this part is ULTRA important...Nelson actually knows his role and PRODUCES in that role...On a team that is so full of underachievers I sometime wonder if we'll ever see winning football again, Nelson is clearly a beacon of hope...In that, simply, the guy goes out and does his job better than most everyone thought he could...Is he spectacular? No...Do you need guys like him to win in the NFL?...Absolutely you do...I don't see how you can overvalue a player like that...Even at the 2nd round tender you know EXACTLY what you are going to get with Nelson (again assuming the knee is good)...He's been rock solid since the first day he stepped into the role...32 1st Down receptions in 2011 as the Bills slot WR...His size makes him a mismatch for smaller DB's...And I'm kind of laughing at some of this "he's slow" talk I'm seeing in this thread because of all the Bills WR's Nelson manages to get WIDE open an awful lot...Sure he's not a track guy...But he's a very good route runner who has a feel for the passing game...

I simply don't see how any team gets better by letting a guy like Nelson walk...Especially under the current RFA restrictions on Nelson...If he's a UFA and some team wants to pay him $5 million annually...OK...I can see letting him go...If the knee is not healing properly...OK...I get it...But cutting a healthy David Nelson loose to save $1-2 million cap dollars when all you have at WR is Stevie Johnson and TJ Graham??...Good grief...If it happens I'm thinking Buddy is definitely still in charge...Because it's a dumb, dumb move...Which is exactly what Nix is best at... B-)

Great post. Great stat about the first downs. The guy has been valuable.

And I will also add that yes, Nelson tore an ACL and missed a lot of time last year but Stevie Johnson is ALWAYS hurt.

The guy has been nursing ongoing groin and lower leg injuries 3 years running and people forget that there were times that Nelson was about the only healthy option Fitz had out there. Other teams knew it and Nelson still made tough, tightly contested catches and stretched the seam. His loss REALLY hurt Fitz last year because the only ball that Fitz could accurately throw 20 yards downfield was the one that went the shortest distance....the one down the middle. That is where Nelson thrives.