Bills to let David Nelson walk?

Coach Tuesday

My argument is that when the Bills let young, productive players leave, they tend to have unfilled holes on their roster.

This is true. I just think you are overestimating how productive Nelson has been. He hasn't been any more productive than Donald Jones and no one was crying when he was shown the door.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this over a #3 receiver on a team that has finished under .500 for the last 7-8 years?

Nelson is a great guy. I would hate to see him go, but maybe we should let Marrone coach an actual NFL game before we start in on him. Nelson will be just fine without the Bills.

I don't mean this as a criticism, or a judgement...but I have absolutely no clue as to how the Bills are going to look next season...I can get no sense, so far, what kind of offense they are going to have...if the defense is going to be better, or worse...I guess we will no more, after the draft...I guess this is a good thing?

https://mobile.twitt...116771403329536

"Bills not expected to tender RFA WR David Nelson, who missed all but one game last season because of injury. Nelson expected to be healthy."

If this is accurate, can someone explain the thinking?

I do not like this we have no Quality TE to start the season. WR corps is depleated. Why any big time free agent WR would come to a program without a proven QB is beyond me. I would be shocked to seen a good free agent WR choose the Bills with the current QB situation no matter who they draft.

Most here have said what I feel, we can def upgrade over Nelson. I'd like to hold onto him for a year or two rather than mkae more holes on the team to fill

I agree with that...I can't imagine Nelson will demand a huge contract...what is the rush to push him out the door, before you know if you are going to have a better replacement? There are going to be 52 men on the roster....losing Nelson and Jones may not be a big deal...but we don't know who is replacing them.

I agree with that...I can't imagine Nelson will demand a huge contract...what is the rush to push him out the door, before you know if you are going to have a better replacement? There are going to be 52 men on the roster....losing Nelson and Jones may not be a big deal...but we don't know who is replacing them.

Marrone's putting his stamp on the team and one really wonders who's making personnel decisions at the top. Is it Whaley, Nix, who?

The roster is extremely thin from 1 to 53, notably at WR. To expect to get 2 productive WR's this off-season in addition to finding a better QB, better LB's, perhaps another guard, TE help, DE's, and another safety is far-fetched. 40% of the current 60 guys signed are fringe NFL players IMO.

Marrone's putting his stamp on the team and one really wonders who's making personnel decisions at the top. Is it Whaley, Nix, who?

The roster is extremely thin from 1 to 53, notably at WR. To expect to get 2 productive WR's this off-season in addition to finding a better QB, better LB's, perhaps another guard, TE help, DE's, and another safety is far-fetched. 40% of the current 60 guys signed are fringe NFL players IMO.

I get that Marrone wants his kind of player in there (whoever they are) but even if, say (I don't see this happening) they draft a WR in the first round, they still need 5 or 6...so what do they do? They go sign a couple of other average to mediocre WR's (ones not named Donald Jones or David Nelson), to replace the same? I don't think either Jones or Nelson are going to make huge money, wherever they play... do the Bills really think they are that replaceable, or bad, that they aren't worth a little more than the average run of the mill free-agent, high draft pick? I always want to presume that they know better than us, and maybe they do...but, as a fan, I feel like I have burned with that kind of thinking more often than not over the last 15 years or so...giving them the benefit of a doubt, when, frankly, they haven't earned it.

I do not like this we have no Quality TE to start the season. WR corps is depleated. Why any big time free agent WR would come to a program without a proven QB is beyond me. I would be shocked to seen a good free agent WR choose the Bills with the current QB situation no matter who they draft.

Great point. It's one thing to say you want to upgrade your WR corps in free agency but it's another thing to get them to sign on the dotted line when you have an ugly QB situation.

It really is crazy how much damage the Bills have inflicted on themselves by severing ties with valuable personnel, especially during the Jauron and Gailey years.

This is true. I just think you are overestimating how productive Nelson has been. He hasn't been any more productive than Donald Jones and no one was crying when he was shown the door.

Really? That's interesting...Do you even bother researching? Or do you just generally get stuff wrong and roll with it?... :thumbsup:

In 3 years with the Bills Jones played in 35 games, and had 82 receptions for 882 yds...6 TD's total

In the same three years David Nelson played in 32 Games, missed an entire Season, and had 94 receptions for 1042 yds, and 8 TD's...In his 2 healthy years (plus one game) Nelson accounted for 53 1st down catches to Jones 42...

So...Anyway... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

giving them the benefit of a doubt, when, frankly, they haven't earned it.

If we have learned anything from the last 4 coaching staffs it is that we don't owe them the benefit of the doubt. I am optimistic about Marrone, but until proven otherwise he is no better than his predecessors. We have seen mistakes repeated and we have seen the results. There may not be a fanbase that is more in touch with what causes losing than Bills fans.

This is a moronic move. Who are they going to bring in in free agency that is going to be better? Let alone multiple players that are better? Nelson reminds me a lot of Joe Jurevicius a really big and dependable slot WR who can gobble up 1st downs. Such a idiotic move. Even as depth Nelson for under two million would have made much more sense then?

Wow! Did not see this one coming...Have to say I'm disappointed...He won't be a Free Agent long... B-)

I'd LOVE to hear the explanation of why Kelsay and Fitz are still on this Roster, but Nelson is not... <_<

This is a bonheaded move. What if Stevie or someone else gets injured. Not to mention Nelson is good as a starter! Cut Kelsay and Fitz.

has someone been pumping retard gas into this forum again?

for his career kelsay is a bonafide nfl starting defensive end. hes getting long in the tooth now and like most bonafide starters at this stage he gets fewer reps than he used to but is still in the primary rotation, at least he was as of last season. he isnt/wasnt great but he is good and would have started on half the teams in the nfl during his prime, still might for a needy team

nelson will never have half the career kelsay had. granted, kelsay makes more money, and got one contract that was too big (tho not outrageously so) for his value, but still to portray him like some kind of scrub nobody is absurd. nelson would be lucky to have kelsays level of contribution in this league and to not see that is exactly the kind of irrational hate thats been cast on him for a while now. deal wid it

The roster is extremely thin from 1 to 53, notably at WR. To expect to get 2 productive WR's this off-season in addition to finding a better QB, better LB's, perhaps another guard, TE help, DE's, and another safety is far-fetched.

without any confirmation from the bills or nelson himself its looking more and more like that report was erroneous

Has anyone seen anything official? I for one am not going to freak out until I see something official. Even then I may not freak out, I like Nelson. I also think he could contribute even more than he has(If he comes back healthy). But I definatly think that if we do not sign him......there must be a reason. Maybe he didn't heal. Maybe they have targets in FA they think are better. Maybe they have targets in the draft. Who knows? I do feel that this group of coaches is a lot different than in the past. They seem to actually have a plan. I think they know exactly what they want to do with this team.

https://mobile.twitt...116771403329536

"Bills not expected to tender RFA WR David Nelson, who missed all but one game last season because of injury. Nelson expected to be healthy."

If this is accurate, can someone explain the thinking?

This makes 157 responses to a tweet that hasn't been corroborated by any "news" source, and has only popped up in re-report blogs like Buffalo Rumblings.

I'm not saying it's bogus, but there's not a whole lot to back it up.

Which leads me to:

And fresh off the twitterverse:

David Nelson @DavidNelson86

Wow. If this is true- then I def do get al my info from twitter.. RT:@JasonColeYahoo: Bills not expected to tender RFA WR David Nelson

lol - strange world we live in...

That tweet no longer appears in David Nelson's timeline (and for future reference, please link to the actual tweet and not the tweeter).

This, however, does appear in his timeline:https://twitter.com/DavidNelson86/status/304673567524659201

Theyre not RT @BrianMC630: Hey @DavidNelson86 how's the contract talks going?

This from a day BEFORE Jason Cole spread this rumor.

But Nelson consistently caught passes.

yep

I've read the whole thing and most everything that could be said has been.

My main concern is the coaching staff is letting a significant quantity of players go.

At significant positions. That were already thin at before the exodus begain, and i fear it's not over.

These guys are actually starting to freak me out a little because i dont recall this kind of behaviour from previous regimes.

In concept yes , but so fast and hard hitting.

Marrone has a firm plan we can see. I just hope is able to execute it.

Two more comments.

1 This might be a season of suffering for us.

2 But this whole Marroon Ball sure keeps me on the edge of my seat ! and thats pretty cool.

ps I got the Hello Mary Lou reference too :flirt:

I guess it should be pointed out first that we still don't have any confirmation on this report...Starting to look like it could be bull...When they announced the Donald Jones decision they had already spoke with DJ...So there is that...

Secondly, I just don't see how any Bills fan who is against letting Nelson walk is overvaluing the kid...He's a role player and everyone knows that...He's not a #1, or a #2 WR, on most any NFL team...What he is when healthy...And this part is ULTRA important...Nelson actually knows his role and PRODUCES in that role...On a team that is so full of underachievers I sometime wonder if we'll ever see winning football again, Nelson is clearly a beacon of hope...In that, simply, the guy goes out and does his job better than most everyone thought he could...Is he spectacular? No...Do you need guys like him to win in the NFL?...Absolutely you do...I don't see how you can overvalue a player like that...Even at the 2nd round tender you know EXACTLY what you are going to get with Nelson (again assuming the knee is good)...He's been rock solid since the first day he stepped into the role...32 1st Down receptions in 2011 as the Bills slot WR...His size makes him a mismatch for smaller DB's...And I'm kind of laughing at some of this "he's slow" talk I'm seeing in this thread because of all the Bills WR's Nelson manages to get WIDE open an awful lot...Sure he's not a track guy...But he's a very good route runner who has a feel for the passing game...

I simply don't see how any team gets better by letting a guy like Nelson walk...Especially under the current RFA restrictions on Nelson...If he's a UFA and some team wants to pay him $5 million annually...OK...I can see letting him go...If the knee is not healing properly...OK...I get it...But cutting a healthy David Nelson loose to save $1-2 million cap dollars when all you have at WR is Stevie Johnson and TJ Graham??...Good grief...If it happens I'm thinking Buddy is definitely still in charge...Because it's a dumb, dumb move...Which is exactly what Nix is best at... B-)

Excellent post.

Like I said before, I don't think Nelson is a star, and I see no one in this thread claiming he should be a starter.

He's been a very reliable player. Yes he's not the fastest WR on the team, but he manages to get open, gets first downs & touchdowns.

Giving him an RFA tender would not exactly put the Bills in cap hell.

What exactly would be so bad about keeping him on the team?

You seriously think losing Nelson is that big of a difference?

Besides Stevie, who currently on the Bills roster is a better WR than Nelson?