Bills contact Fitz to Restructure

justnzane

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with having Fitz on the roster -- as long as he is not the designated/unquestioned starter. Great team guy.

Basically how I feel.

He could be a QB of a team with good pieces all around him. He's definitely one of the better backup QBs if he's our backup. And everyone seems to like him. No need to drop him unless we get *two* clearly better QBs than him.

Can't help but agree. -Fitz isn't a serviceable backup, and is even questionable as third stringer. -I'd just as soon be rid of all relics of past failures on this team.

I say cut him, and be done with it.

Lol, you cant be serious with the absolute garbage most teams have as backups---Skelton, Thigpen, etc...

At the end of the day I could live with this......AS LONG as we bring in legit competition for a training camp battle.....a REAL training camp battle. I dont care if its a rookie or a vet.....just no more Fitzpatricke>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>next QB on the roster so that Fitz is in his little comfort zone.

Best case scenario.......next QB comes in and beats him out....and we have a QB with NFL experience holding the clip board that wont be a locker room cancer.

Nothing wrong with having Fitz on the roster -- as long as he is not the designated/unquestioned starter. Great team guy.

This! I don't think he's quite as unquestionably awful as most here seem to, but definitely hope that if this happens, part of his decision was in the knowledge that he would have to win the job (in the most pro-Fitz scenario).

Buddy said they saw him do it before, so apparently he can do it again. :lol: As if NFL defenses and coaching staffs permit teams to do the same offensive game-plan each week and don't try to force opponents and their players to do things they're not good at.

To be fair to Buddy, thats how the past few Bills defenses have operated.

I would rather clear out ALL the dead wood/marginal players and start from scratch. IMO

Fitz, Kelsay, Wilson, Mcluvin.

For starters.

While I get the frustration with Fitz, don't get the absolute disrespect for Wilson (he's a Senator fercrissake)! Granted he had an off-year, but it was in a defensive scheme near-everyone here readily admits was at the very least quite flawed, if not a total trainwreck. He is a leader who was considered by many to be playing at Pro Bowl levels before he was hurt in 2011 (saw him on at least two different legit midseason all-pro lists that year). At least ask him to restructure, which he probably would.

Fitz is in the driver's seat. What are the Bills options if he doesn't renegotiate? They gonna let him go? Well, great. Now who is QB? They got nothing. FA qbs are bad and with no qbs on the Bills roster, they'd have to overpay for losers like Stanton, Grossman, Campbell, Quinn, or Cassel, Smith, or Orton, if they were available. And, there are at least 4 teams that draft ahead of the Bills that need a QB. So... anyone feel warm & fuzzy that the Bills end up with "their guy" @ #8?

Bills just might want to have a QB significantly better than Fitz before they they stare down the gun barrel on this one.

As I've stated previously, it ain't so much the Bills cutting ties with a player. But it seems so often the Bills do not have a good plan going forward nor do they usually fill that void with a player that is a significant upgrade... making the release of that player pointless and totally a financial decision. Exactly why they've been losers spanning two decades.

Let him Go!!!

Dude Terrence McGee did it last season.

Excellent. Thank you sir! I knew there had to have been, but I couldn't think of who. I was more surprised that no one else commented on the orginal post I commented on. I just couldn't argue because I couldn't think of anyone. Now I can.

If this is true it speaks to what a class act this guy is. He knows he's not the future but he's willing to take less money just to stick around, compete a little, and teach a youngster while he's at it. Awesome, will always love fitz. His jersey, for those of you who bought one, will not be a waste.

To truly have a change in culture on OBD, the stink needs to be washed off the deck. Cut him.

With or without the guy the Bills are not going to be the "sleeper" favorite next year. To even reach the playoffs

Serviceable back up? No he is not. Every single game that required him to pull it out in the end minus the Pats* in 2011, he has failed. In extreme fashion. Whens the last time in Gaileys tenure a back up even started one game? Never.

There's guys out there that can hold a clipboard just as easily as a Harvard grad.

Some call him a potential mentor?Is that because he went to Harvard? because as a QB he sucks, always has sucked, and will suck in the future.

He has a career losing record in which he would need to run the table for at least a year to get too .500. But yet because he's a "nice guy" the Bills should keep him? Even the fan base to an extent has accepted below mediocre talent as players to coddle.

Many would be thrilled to just make the playoffs and get creamed 42-zip by the Bengals. IMO I want a winning franchise to develop.

BTW past SJ13 on the current receiving corp, there is no one IMO. This team needs parts badly. Those other receivers would be a 5th option on a good playoff team if that.

Fitzgibbons is not the answer. And he can "mentor" no one. He will be out of the league shortly, unless Nix still has his man crush on him. The tape the league has on fitz is extensive and not pretty, his future in the NFL is short.

Edited by Best Player Available

Think about this a minute. Say the Bills cut Fitz.

#1, Fitz is gonna have a job real quick... and even if he drops to $3m/yr. he could put himself in a warm weather climate or dome and doing exactly what he'll be doing in Buffalo... immently backing up a youngen.

#2, If the Bills let him go, what qb worth one tenth of a s#it would sign on with the Bills knowing full well there is no committment to them whatsoever and the Bills qb of now and the future will be set in stone on day one of the draft.

#3 All this talk about Alex Smith is bull****. Why would they dump Fitz to get another loser and in the process have to give up a valuable draft pick?

Lastly, if they want someone to restructure, how about Mario. Or, do the Bills have a double standard. Had the Bills defense been just average this past season, they could have easily won 9 games. Everyone that has no knowledge of the game doesn't even acknowledge the fact that 4 starting olinemen went down with injuries for significant time during the season... and the tackles were extremely vulnerable. Not to mention two of the top three receivers missed virtually the entire season and the third played practically on one leg. Let's get real here. Fitz is not an overly gifted qb. But you put any qb in that situation, especially with no defense and no qb is gonna do well.

I usually like what you have to say Dr. But you are WAY off base on this one my friend. Fitz is TERRIBLE. Starter, backup, what is the difference? Bills fans should never want him EVER playing another down for us. He is not a winner. He does not make plays. You want to blame his performance on the line? That is a ridiculous reach. Our line was average at its worse in pass protection. And usually it was quite stout. And to put Alex Smith in Fitzy's category is a complete insult to him. Did you watch Smith play against the Saints in last years divisional playoff game in Candlestick? He was awesome. What about Smith's play against us? Not too shabby either. The standards around here for what is considered solid QB play is ridiculously low. Have you been watching this year's playoffs? Or even the rest of the NFL this year? There are several reasons we went 6-19 the past year and a half. But the biggest has to be that our QB has been horrible. Fitz looks like a High School QB compared to the upper echelon guys. Time to cut bait. For all you people that say he would be a good backup. I say, NO WAY!! His record speaks for itself.

Not supprised. I have been saying all along that they will offer a restructure contract to him. He will remain on the team as a backup and we will draft in the 1 or 2 round. then pick someone else up in late round or UDFA. Thigpen and TJax are done here.

He's an intelligent, team-first guy who has a hard time getting it done on the field. The thing about guys like that is that sometimes they make excellent coaches. I say keep him around to compete with and/or bring up the next guy.

Good move if it happens. Considering the average to below average caliber of QB's in this draft class, Fitz at least gives us a lot more depth at the QB position.

If a rookie comes in and struggles at least we know Fitz is capable of coming in and winning a few games for us, which can't be said for many teams in the NFL.

Yup, he can win a few games for us, too bad that's a few games in a 16 start season as he has proven that over his career that's all he's capable of winning.

odd, AP's reporting Fitzpatrick hasn't been contacted regarding the possibility of restructuring deal.

jw

And now proof that any clown with a twitter act. Can

start a rumor based on dare we say a likely scenario anyway at some point.

Edited by Best Player Available

NOOOOO! Wipe the slate clean and boot this guy! He can't throw a 15yard out and is the worst down field thrower in the game we need to start fresh and clear up some cap room for what we really need LINEBACKERS!!!!!

NOOOOOO! Boot this guy, he can't throw a 15 yard out and is the worst long ball thrower in the game. We need to clear up some cap space for what we really need on the team More LINBACKERS tha can play!!!!!

He's an intelligent, team-first guy who has a hard time getting it done on the field. The thing about guys like that is that sometimes they make excellent coaches. I say keep him around to compete with and/or bring up the next guy.

The guy might have potential and remain an asset. If he is mentoring and he is as cheap as Thigpen and is NOT competition to our draftee (s). I am okay with it.

Is Ryan okay with it ? i would be surpised.

He knows he failed. But he might still think in a new environment he could flourish. We ALL know he is limited. RIGHT?

I do love the guy though.

Hope he gets in to coaching.

soon.

Edited by 3rdand12

Somebody said he could come in and win a "few" games. I agree, 3 games, yikes! So as long as he makes less money everyone's fine? Did anyone watch the playoffs? Bills have no change of sniffing the playoffs without a serious QB.

Our expectations are so low that if we went 8-8 there would be a parade.

exactly as one very wise and extremely handsome noggin of beef once predicted

there isnt an nfl team that would want him to start now on his current deal, but with a restructure theres probably four or five that would be very happy to have him compete for the job. theres really no reason whatsoever for it not the be the bills

and im not sure how we are defining 'very effective' here, but as a game manager he would have been fine if somehow wannys brain forgot how to coach a defense. hes probably not ever going to be much better than an '08 chad pennington, with a similar long ball deficiency that limits the offense, but that would be more than good enough on a team without a swiss cheese defense to challenge for the playoffs. holding the spot down until a young qb he is mentoring would be a great gig here in buffalo, so i too am happy to see this come to fruition

Chad Pennington is a much more accurate passer than Fitz.

However, I'm totally okay with keeping Fitz around as a backup, or as a guy who can start for another year while our rookie QB sits on the bench and learns. Just as Trent Edwards would have been a better option at backup than Tyler Thigpen; Fitz is also better than Thigpen.

All I ask is that you give Ryan an outstanding O-Line, then we can judge Ryan on his abilities ! I believe the 49ers and Ravens had outstanding O-Lines ! That's how you judge if your QB is worth keeping .I'm not big on our O-Line !I love Wood and Glenn ! Other than those 2 ,I think we need someone better !Levitre is good not great !Keeping Ryan doesn't bother me at all ,I even payed for my 2013 season tickets yesterday !

All I ask is that you give Ryan an outstanding O-Line, then we can judge Ryan on his abilities ! I believe the 49ers and Ravens had outstanding O-Lines ! That's how you judge if your QB is worth keeping .I'm not big on our O-Line !I love Wood and Glenn ! Other than those 2 ,I think we need someone better !Levitre is good not great !Keeping Ryan doesn't bother me at all ,I even payed for my 2013 season tickets yesterday !

What the hell is happening here?

No. you may not ask. : )

And now proof that any clown with a twitter act. Can

start a rumor based on dare we say a likely scenario anyway at some point.

No, that's been proven many, many times over the last few years. The aggravating thing is that people still keep falling for it.

I think the thing that really sucks is that this signals that the team wouldn't be making a run at Alex Smith or any other veteran upgrade on Fitz. Fitz is an OK backup but I had really hoped they would just turn the page and let him find that ideal backup job elsewhere. Hopefully they find the rookie they want and don't blow it.

The real nightmare I'm having is that Marrone took the job with the thought that he might be able to fix Fitz.

Why. If Fitz balks, then the Bills are going to cut him before March 1st

The reason why he did so badly after signing the contract was he couldn't help but laugh every time he stepped on the field, he couldn't believe that they really did pay him all that money.

He really needs to restructure !!

That's right, I'm going to defend Fitz...

Now, I'm all onboard with trying to find that QB of the future, a franchise guy (even if it means drafting two QBs this year, whatever it takes)...

And I'm fine with those saying Fitz would be a great backup but they don't want him starting (that's reasonable).

But to those who are saying that he is absolutely horrible, shouldn't even be a backup (3rd stringer at best), etc.

Well, I just have to assume you are not the "so-called" realists on the board.

So, what is reality? Yes, I'm going to bring those damn stats into the discussion...

In 2012 Fitz ranked:

18th in yards with 3,400

16th in completions with 306

18th in completion % with 60.6 (QBs with at least 100 Atts, i.e. starting QBs)

13th in TDs with 24

8th in Ints with 16

In 2011 Fitz ranked:

11th in yards with 3,832

6th in completions with 353

10th in comp. % at 62 (QBs with at least 100 Atts, i.e. starting QBs)

10th in TDs with 24

1st in Ints with 23

What do the stats seem to say? Fitz is an average starting QB in this league. Of course, we all want

better than average, but to say he's not even good enough to be a backup is just ridiculous.

The two things that jump out is that his stats regressed in 2012 and that he has thrown too many INTs

over the past two years. But, with the defenses we have had, we were always playing from behind and

Fitz had to force it more, which leads to picks. That doesn't excuse him from throwing that many picks,

but it does factor in.

By the way, Fitz's annual salary in 2012 ranked 18th among starting QBs. About where his stats rank him.

So, if the FO got him to restructure, I would be more than happy to keep Fitz as backup and even let him compete

for the starting job. What if we whiff on drafting a QB. Then what? And what FA could we bring in that would be a significant

upgrade to Fitz? You could make a case for Alex Smith maybe (although I'm dubious of that) but after him, who? Fitz is a team guy,

not a prima donna, so I don't think there would be any disruption in the locker room if he doesn't start. I would trust him coming into

a game if the new starter went down. And not only is he smart, but he's been in the NFL 8 years and has started 74

games. How would that experience not be a help to a young QB learning the ropes?

I wouldn't be Suprised if Fitz is still cut.

Just earlier today right around the time this thread popped up, we also had another pop up about renegotiating with Donald Jones. Since that time, he was told we will be moving in another direction.

I think, either Fitz takes a HUGE paycut that put him into backup QB pay for the league or they will simply say goodbye and thank you for your service as a Buffalo Bill. Good luck with another team.