Bills contact Fitz to Restructure

justnzane

I wish no ill will towards Fitz, but he may be the definition of serviceable. Like the majority, I want and expect more for the future of the Bills. He is worth keeping as his football IQ is obviously his strength, but competition is what is needed and hopefully competition that he can mentor. Restructuring his contract is the right financial move. Let's all hope that it leads to a restructure of the QB heirarchy for the Bills.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing to do with some innate hatred for rf. Stop framing it that way. I'm only saying what I believe is best for the team. We can have a discussion on that and share opposing views, but lose the hater garbage

I am kind of with Joe on this - time for a fresh start and letting Fitz linger around would just be fodder for QB controversy that a new QB would not need. The only way I see this panning out is if they plan on starting Fitz and do not plan on starting a rookie right away. If the new QB prospect has the tools, I say you put him in there and use max protect formations where you focus heavy on the run game and outlet passes to your TE's and keep the reads and options simple as you bring him along.

I just don't know if it helps if you bring in a young QB and as soon as he struggles - which most all new QBs do, there is that veteran sitting on the bench with players loyal to him pushing for their guy to start.

I cannot imaging how the defense could possibly be worse than what it was under Wanny (I admit I was in the camp of those expecting improvement with Wanny handling the reins and the off season addition of bonified edge rushers). If the defense improves under Pettine, it would really take a lot of the pressure off the new QB's shoulders.

The question is, how much is a good second string QB worth? Also, how much is Buffalo on the hook for either way - whether they keep or cut Fitz. If they can get him closer to the amount they'd have to pay without him, then it's about a win/win for Buffalo. Whatever they do with Fitz, they must get a QB within the first few rounds that is capable of STARTING.

Nothing wrong with having Fitz on the roster -- as long as he is not the designated/unquestioned starter. Great team guy.

Agree but hind sight being 20/20 he wasn't worth the money that they jumped so quickly to give the guy !!

Eww do not want... we have to move on.. The Fitz experiment failed miserably. You know what you have in Fitz, a bottom tier QB that will lose you games with his lack of consistency/arm strength.

What good is a backup QB on this team, really? To have a good locker room guy?? There is no point on this team. He would better serve a team that had a legit shot at the playoffs.

I'd draft 2 rookies and have them battle in camp. The FA QBs are all scrubs too.

And yes, the Bills have a double standard. They only ask white guys to restructure. :rolleyes:

Wow I read through all the posts and I can't believe someone didn't comment on this.

I can't argue the fact because I can't remember the last black player to restructure. Pay cut wise. :cry:

NO WAY! These types of situations never work out. We have seen enough-He is NEVER GOING TO GET BETTER...He isnt good enough-period... and you must make a break with the past. The last thing this team needs is any QB controversy. You can just see it: Fitz comes in to play for a struggling rookie and then goes on a 3 game win streak-only to lose 6 in a row afterwards, all while stunting the new QBs progress. If he wants to become a coach, maybe a QB coach..I would look at him-but not as a player...

#1 - So you think Fitz is going to refuse to restructure a deal in Buffalo so he can take a $3MM backup role?? Fitz is going to take a chance to compete for the starting role in the cold over a definite backup job in the sunshine every day of the week. And the Bills will certainly offer him more than $3MM in the restructure.

#2 - Any QB who wants a chance to be a starter. Take your pick from the FA pool, they are all at a similar level to Fitz and at 1/3 the price. What's the downside, the Bills don't reach 6 wins next year?

#3 - I don't know why you are asking me this question, I wouldn't take Alex Smith's contract even if it didn't cost any draft picks. The Niners will either cut him or restructure his contract for a fraction of his current deal. If they cut him, he's worth talking to, otherwise he's not.

And yes, the Bills have a double standard. They only ask white guys to restructure. :rolleyes:

There is no way in hell the Bills are going to pay Fitz $10MM to be a crappy QB again in 2013.

The still misisng part of the discussion is that no one has pinpointed to how much Bills still owe Fitz on his deal. BuffNews reported that Bills rae fully paid on the guarantees, but their numbers didn't add up. By my estimates, Bills are still on the hook for $3-$6mil. So if you cut him outright, you will still spend that much on his veteran replacement. I don't see how you figure that you can get same performance as Fitz at 1/3 the price. Best available FA QB is Matt Moore, who will command at least $3mil - $4mil. For reference, Thigpen earned $2mil last year, and he's light years worse than Fitz.

Like it or not, based on available QBs this year and the contract, Bills & Fitz are tied in 2013. I do not see a better alternative that's available for 2013.

Fitz is nothing more than a quality BACKUP QB. Thus, he should be paid like one. He knows he not an elite QB (not even in the top 20 in the NFL) and yet the Bills have a contract with him to pay him over $10M/season. Most of the QBs in the league who are better than Fitz are not being paid more than $10M/season. Buddy Nix is a jacka$$ for paying Fitz that kind of money and should be fired for it.

We've seen Fitz's ceiling. He's not going to get any better than he's shown folks. Nix knows it and finally realizes that he needs to draft a young QB who has a much higher ceiling.

Heck, draft TWO QBs this year!!

I would seriously consider it because:

1. You're not going to find a quality FA QB and not have to pay him M. Williams type money.

2. The Bills are never going to turn things around without a drafted young QB to develop.

If it happens, wonderful for both sides.

For RF, it's a paycheck and job security.

For the Bills, it gives them important flexibility at the position.

I'll be happy if the restructing helps the cause of signing Byrd and Levitre.

I don't want him. Has no chance at being a credible starter. We don't have a starter and need as much legit competition for starting qb as possible. This caretaker/backup QB stuff is nonsense. He doesn't even know the new system and has nothing to offer a young QB.

Can't help but agree. -Fitz isn't a serviceable backup, and is even questionable as third stringer. -I'd just as soon be rid of all relics of past failures on this team.

I say cut him, and be done with it.