Bills contact Fitz to Restructure

justnzane

You obviously have not been watching the past two plus years. Fitzpatrick is putrid. I'll take almost any of the FA QB's out there over him. It's not foolish to not want someone on your team that can't hit the broad side of a barn. If this guy is our starting QB next year, it makes absolutely no difference who the coaching staff is. They will once again lose games that they should win because the QB is inadequate.

I'm referring to Fitz in a backup role/spot-starter. Again, look around the league and tell me how many backup QB's are CLEARLY better than Fitz.

I can go around the league and list at least 7-10 STARTING QB's who Fitz has outperformed the last 3yrs.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What irony? Wilson was who he is while at Wisconsin. A bunch of dimwitted GMs dismissed him because he is "too short".

That bunch of dimwitted GMs includes those of all 32 teams, even the Seahawks, a couple of times over. I am glad to see Wilson defy the odds and challenge conventional thinking but he would have been a top-5 pick if he were 6'4". Every team held these reservations. Take height out of the equation and no team would have passed on him three times.

What irony? Wilson was who he is while at Wisconsin. A bunch of dimwitted GMs dismissed him because he is "too short".

A bunch? How about all of them.....twice.

It's likely there is a good chance that they dismissed him for more reasons than him being too short.

That bunch of dimwitted GMs includes those of all 32 teams, even the Seahawks, a couple of times over. I am glad to see Wilson defy the odds and challenge conventional thinking but he would have been a top-5 pick if he were 6'4". Every team held these reservations. Take height out of the equation and no team would have passed on him three times.

i agree with everything you said.

i always find it amusing how teams get so much praise for drafting a player like Wilson or even Kaep - if the team was that smart, they would've taken them in the 1st round and not risk waiting till the 2nd or 3rd round..you have to be lucky and good as a GM/Franchise. We are neither.

I don't want him. Has no chance at being a credible starter. We don't have a starter and need as much legit competition for starting qb as possible. This caretaker/backup QB stuff is nonsense. He doesn't even know the new system and has nothing to offer a young QB.

THIS!!

I don't want him. Has no chance at being a credible starter. We don't have a starter and need as much legit competition for starting qb as possible. This caretaker/backup QB stuff is nonsense. He doesn't even know the new system and has nothing to offer a young QB.

I know you're trying, but that is really a pretty uninformed opinion. "Nothing" to offer a young QB? He has thrown 71 TDs in the past three years, and is widely acknowledged as one of the smartest guys on the team. Don't let his shortcomings that prevent him from being a top level starter distract you from the reality that he is still a "decent" player in this league.

Just because Fitz doesn't suck all the time doesn't mean he doesn't suck. He is not a consistent QB that you can win with consistently.

So why bother at all?

Buddy said they saw him do it before, so apparently he can do it again. :lol: As if NFL defenses and coaching staffs permit teams to do the same offensive game-plan each week and don't try to force opponents and their players to do things they're not good at. Like throwing beyond 15 yards across the middle of the field and down sidelines.

Rarely do teams keep the former starter around to backup a new guy.

i agree with everything you said.

i always find it amusing how teams get so much praise for drafting a player like Wilson or even Kaep - if the team was that smart, they would've taken them in the 1st round and not risk waiting till the 2nd or 3rd round..you have to be lucky and good as a GM/Franchise. We are neither.

I find it amusing that people use the argument that "every team passed on him". Every team did not need a QB in the first round, so why point that out? These is the same group of experts (GMs) who DID pick guys like Clasen, Tebow, Gabbert in the first round. Maybe they were just "unlucky" picks? Look at Aaron Rodgers--how many teams with crappy QBs "passed" on him before the Packers drafted him--as a backup?

And my guess is that if there was a 5' 11'' QB with Russell's skills in this year's draft, he would go in the first round.

Anyway, I was responding to the poster who said we should do what Seattle did. Having just picked up Flynn, no reason to believe they would have spent a first round pick on a QB--especially if the consensus is that Wilson could be had cheaper because the rest of the GMs were stuck on their totally ridiculous "too short" mindset.

http://queencityspor...trick-contract/

I don't know how reliable this source is, but it looks like we will have Fritzy for a couple more years.

This is great IMO, if confirmed. The Bills are stuck with that cap hit no matter what if they don't restructure. Plus there is no reason to dump Fitz before seeing what he can do in Marrone's scheme, he could be a good backup at worst. I'm also skeptical that anyone the Bills might draft this year would be ready to start right away, including Nassib.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

This is great IMO, if confirmed. The Bills are stuck with that cap hit no matter what if they don't restructure. Plus there is no reason to dump Fitz before seeing what he can do in Marrone's scheme, he could be a good backup at worst. I'm also skeptical that anyone the Bills might draft this year would be ready to start right away, including Nassib.

THIS.

It's also good to renegotiate Fitz so they have more for when they go to re-sign Byrd & Levitre.

Just because Fitz doesn't suck all the time doesn't mean he doesn't suck. He is not a consistent QB that you can win with consistently.

So why bother at all?

I would rather clear out ALL the dead wood/marginal players and start from scratch. IMO

Fitz, Kelsay, Wilson, Mcluvin.

For starters.

I'm referring to Fitz in a backup role/spot-starter. Again, look around the league and tell me how many backup QB's are CLEARLY better than Fitz.

I can go around the league and list at least 7-10 STARTING QB's who Fitz has outperformed the last 3yrs.

I doubt it, but even if you can that still places him in the bottom third of the starting QBs in the league, not gonna win with that.

I think you would be hard pressed to find 7-10 Starting QB's that Fitz has consistently outperformed for 3 years. I believe both he and the Bills need to start fresh. I would bring in Jason Campell and draft the best QB available in RD 1. Fitz may be capable of being a decent backup, but I don't think his future lies in Buffalo.

Think about this a minute. Say the Bills cut Fitz.

#1, Fitz is gonna have a job real quick... and even if he drops to $3m/yr. he could put himself in a warm weather climate or dome and doing exactly what he'll be doing in Buffalo... immently backing up a youngen.

#2, If the Bills let him go, what qb worth one tenth of a s#it would sign on with the Bills knowing full well there is no committment to them whatsoever and the Bills qb of now and the future will be set in stone on day one of the draft.

#3 All this talk about Alex Smith is bull****. Why would they dump Fitz to get another loser and in the process have to give up a valuable draft pick?

Lastly, if they want someone to restructure, how about Mario. Or, do the Bills have a double standard. Had the Bills defense been just average this past season, they could have easily won 9 games. Everyone that has no knowledge of the game doesn't even acknowledge the fact that 4 starting olinemen went down with injuries for significant time during the season... and the tackles were extremely vulnerable. Not to mention two of the top three receivers missed virtually the entire season and the third played practically on one leg. Let's get real here. Fitz is not an overly gifted qb. But you put any qb in that situation, especially with no defense and no qb is gonna do well.

You hit the nail on the head right there. With all the supposed talent on defense, if they could have merely ranked 15th or thereabouts, we'd be talking playoffs and Fitz would be labeled a good game manager instead of a game wrecker. But the defense, amazingly, managed to totally suck and rank last or next to last or wherever the hell they ended up -- unbelievable.

Agreed...If this is true, to me at least, it's a move that is consistent with the theory at OBD that the talent is better than what we have seen on the field thus-far...And I'm not sure if I agree with that theory to be honest...

I think most NFL Franchises, regardless of current Depth Chart, would move on from Fitz ...When you have a starting QB who clearly is not in the future plans of a Franchise, and has proven over and over again he's just not good enough to win consistently I think it's best to simply move on...What this move tells me is either The Bills have much more faith in Fitz than most do, or The Bills don't think they can do any better than the QB who ranked 27th in Total QB Rating...

All this stuff about Fitz smarts and leadership qualities are pretty much exactly why I think the Bills need to move in another direction. There are loyalties in that locker-room...Fitz has his buddies...I think that fact could have a negative effect on the team...Especially if they decide to go with a young guy and he struggles early...I think it's best to remove that possibility from the get-go...

This move would not thrill me to say the least...I'm of the mind that we need to cut ties with Fitz completely...I don't want him back under any circumstances, and this would be the 1st move by the new staff that I'll question strongly...It is however a STRONG vote of confidence for the acceptance of mediocrity at OBD...So we'll have that going for us... :thumbsup: