Bills contact Fitz to Restructure

justnzane

A. Who is Ryan Talbot? How would he know?

B. This and the draft would be Buddy's last moves on the way to the top (of next year's draft).

C. Everyone outside of Buffalo knows that Fitz is terrible. If he's a QB on this roster....good luck.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want him. Has no chance at being a credible starter. We don't have a starter and need as much legit competition for starting qb as possible. This caretaker/backup QB stuff is nonsense. He doesn't even know the new system and has nothing to offer a young QB.

So he can't be on the roster because he doesn't know the new system? I guess we'll have no QBs this year then....

http://queencitysports.net/bills/ryan-fitzpatrick-contract/

I don't know how reliable this source is, but it looks like we will have Fritzy for a couple more years.

The title is mis-leading. The article says that the Bills have contacted his agent for a restructure. There is no comment on what he is thinking. I woildnt mind having him as a backup.

I am torn. I do think a big part of RF's problems had to do with coaching and bad D but I am not sure he can do better anymore (even a back up should be okay if he is in there). I like him and think he is a competitor but he has very well known faults to work around. Having him here for competition is one thing, having him win the starting job, well, I hope the new staff is better than Chan's.

So he can't be on the roster because he doesn't know the new system? I guess we'll have no QBs this year then....

That wasn't the only reason I offered. I brought that up as a counter to the argument he has value as a mentor/caretaker. He doesn't. In a legit starter sense we have no QBs now. So I don't see your other point. We should do what Seattle did: clean house and bring in fresh blood from the draft and guys with potential from other teams to compete for the job

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

This can't be a bad thing. Of course almost everyone here wants a new QB. Even the Fitz backers can see he has limitations. This move might not make him the immediate backup but it sure is a step in the right direction. At the very least, it shows the team is trying to save money in spots where it can be saved. Maybe, just maybe, this spells good news for the Byrd and Levitre deals as well. Save a couple million on Fitz, and put it right back into the OL and S positions. Either way, I'm all for this move. I hope he's not the starter next season but that will be unknown until FA and draft time is complete.

I am happy with this...I'll go to my grave thinking Fitz can be a very effective QB with a quality support staff on all sides of the ball

I can't disagree with this. I've just reached the point where I want a QB who doesn't need everything to go perfectly on all sides of the ball. I like Fitz and think he's done great things that can't be denied. But I also have no faith that he's the guy anyone wants under center, down 2 on our own 10 with 1:00 left in the game. I want to feel confident in that situation. With Fitz, the only thing I'm confident in (in that situation) is that the game will end with an interception and a loss.

That wasn't the only reason I offered. I brought that up as a counter to the argument he has value as a mentor/caretaker. He doesn't. In a legit starter sense we have no QBs now. So I don't see your other point. We should do what Seattle did: clean house and bring in fresh blood from the draft and guys with potential from other teams to compete for the job

Matt Flynn isn't available and there is no Russell Wilson in the draft. Perhaps they can bring in Orton or Seneca Wallace? T Jackson is available....Or perhaps you were thinking of pairing Matt Moore with Nassib?

I can't disagree with this. I've just reached the point where I want a QB who doesn't need everything to go perfectly on all sides of the ball. I like Fitz and think he's done great things that can't be denied. But I also have no faith that he's the guy anyone wants under center, down 2 on our own 10 with 1:00 left in the game. I want to feel confident in that situation. With Fitz, the only thing I'm confident in (in that situation) is that the game will end with an interception and a loss.

Yup. You can't win in the modern NFL if the rest of your team needs to pick up the slack for the QB. The QB needs to be the one who picks up the slack for others.

Fitz seems to be a very nice person, but he's not a QB who's going to take the Bills anywhere but an annual top 15 draft pick.

I think the thing that really sucks is that this signals that the team wouldn't be making a run at Alex Smith or any other veteran upgrade on Fitz. Fitz is an OK backup but I had really hoped they would just turn the page and let him find that ideal backup job elsewhere. Hopefully they find the rookie they want and don't blow it.

The real nightmare I'm having is that Marrone took the job with the thought that he might be able to fix Fitz.

I disagree. The Bills have the leverage if theyve said 'restructure or get cut'. Fitz's counter is what? He's a 6-10 QB, not Joe Flacco. And even restructured Fitz will earn far more than any other team would pay him to be a backup. He wouldn't even be competing for a starting job on at least 28 of the 32 teams.

The Bills have been a loser franchise for 20 years because they don't know how to draft and because they've never found a QB. But they've mastered the art of resigning mediocre players for too much money.

Think about this a minute. Say the Bills cut Fitz.

#1, Fitz is gonna have a job real quick... and even if he drops to $3m/yr. he could put himself in a warm weather climate or dome and doing exactly what he'll be doing in Buffalo... immently backing up a youngen.

#2, If the Bills let him go, what qb worth one tenth of a s#it would sign on with the Bills knowing full well there is no committment to them whatsoever and the Bills qb of now and the future will be set in stone on day one of the draft.

#3 All this talk about Alex Smith is bull****. Why would they dump Fitz to get another loser and in the process have to give up a valuable draft pick?

Lastly, if they want someone to restructure, how about Mario. Or, do the Bills have a double standard. Had the Bills defense been just average this past season, they could have easily won 9 games. Everyone that has no knowledge of the game doesn't even acknowledge the fact that 4 starting olinemen went down with injuries for significant time during the season... and the tackles were extremely vulnerable. Not to mention two of the top three receivers missed virtually the entire season and the third played practically on one leg. Let's get real here. Fitz is not an overly gifted qb. But you put any qb in that situation, especially with no defense and no qb is gonna do well.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

Ur hatred is foolish. Have you bothered to look at backup QB's around the league? I think fitz has a lot to offer

You obviously have not been watching the past two plus years. Fitzpatrick is putrid. I'll take almost any of the FA QB's out there over him. It's not foolish to not want someone on your team that can't hit the broad side of a barn. If this guy is our starting QB next year, it makes absolutely no difference who the coaching staff is. They will once again lose games that they should win because the QB is inadequate.

#3 All this talk about Alex Smith is bull****. Why would they dump Fitz to get another loser and in the process have to give up a valuable draft pick?

Yeah, he played like a real loser the past two seasons. You've pretty much discredited any argument you have here. His team went 13-3 last season and 8-2-1 this past year before he lost his job to injury. His team beat Super Bowl Champion QB Drew Brees and the Saints in last year's playoffs, in no small part due to a great game from Smith.

But you're right, 21-5-1 sounds exactly the same as 12-20 over the past two seasons.

Think about this a minute. Say the Bills cut Fitz.

#1, Fitz is gonna have a job real quick... and even if he drops to $3m/yr. he could put himself in a warm weather climate or dome and doing exactly what he'll be doing in Buffalo... immently backing up a youngen.

#2, If the Bills let him go, what qb worth one tenth of a s#it would sign on with the Bills knowing full well there is no committment to them whatsoever and the Bills qb of now and the future will set in stone on day one of the draft.

Lastly, if they want someone to restructure, how about Mario. Or, do the Bills have a double standard. Had the Bills defense been just average this past season, they could have easily won 9 games. Everyone that has no knowledge of the game doesn't even acknowledge the fact that 4 starting olinemen went down with injuries for significant time during the season... and the tackles were vulnerable

#1 - So you think Fitz is going to refuse to restructure a deal in Buffalo so he can take a $3MM backup role?? Fitz is going to take a chance to compete for the starting role in the cold over a definite backup job in the sunshine every day of the week. And the Bills will certainly offer him more than $3MM in the restructure.

#2 - Any QB who wants a chance to be a starter. Take your pick from the FA pool, they are all at a similar level to Fitz and at 1/3 the price. What's the downside, the Bills don't reach 6 wins next year?

#3 - I don't know why you are asking me this question, I wouldn't take Alex Smith's contract even if it didn't cost any draft picks. The Niners will either cut him or restructure his contract for a fraction of his current deal. If they cut him, he's worth talking to, otherwise he's not.

And yes, the Bills have a double standard. They only ask white guys to restructure. :rolleyes:

There is no way in hell the Bills are going to pay Fitz $10MM to be a crappy QB again in 2013.