The world is ending this year, I'm convinced

He didn't completely go off the deep end but he was heaping praise on the Bills for their offseason and draft. He said with the exception of Detroit, the Bills might have the best tackle combo in the league.

He also had a very interesting point about Mario Williams. He did everything he could to adapt to playing LB in a 3-4 but he'll be even better in a 4-3.

He said Buffalo will be a "surprise" team this year.

If everyone is saying that Buffalo could be a "surprise", then how are they a surprise?

It's pretty much settled at this point that the media expects Buffalo to be competitive this year. Hopefully we can live up to expectations for once.

The cynic in me can't help but wonder if there was a little pandering going on there.

Nah. More like plagerism. Mort said the same thing a few weeks ago.

If there's one thing these media guys are, it's lazy. Rather than working hard and developing their own opinions, they all parrot the same group think. Then again, it may just be a realization that none of this talk matters...

If there's one thing these media guys are, it's lazy. Rather than working hard and developing their own opinions, they all parrot the same group think. Then again, it may just be a realization that none of this talk matters...

unfortunately, its because when they stray and get it wrong, they get flamed to no end and never forgiven. if they parrot the same opinions together, they dont have to deal with accountability.

The Bills won't catch anyone by surprise this year. They did enough during the 5-2 start last year to open everyone's eyes, and I honestly can't remember a team so efficiently and effectively filling nearly every hole as the Bills have done this offseason. I believe if most of us had put together a "wish list" for the Bills at the conclusion of last season, it would have looked something like this (caveat -- this presumes you are comfortable with a healthy Fitz as the starting QB):

Replace George Edwards -- Check (Wanny)

Re-sign key free agents -- Check (Stevie, Urbik, Rinehart, Lindell, Chandler, Morrison)

Fix a non-existent pass rush -- Check (Williams, Anderson)

Plan for the decline of McGee/Florence -- Check (Gilmore, Brooks)

Add depth/competition at LB -- Check (Bradham, Tank)

Upgrade LT through draft or FA -- In process (Glenn, Sanders)

Add depth across the OL -- Check (players brought in are versatile)

Find a legitimate #2 WR -- In process (Easley, Jones, Graham are candidates)

Upgrade the backup QB position -- Question mark (did Thigpen suffer b/c of lockout?)

That's some damn fine work by the Bills front office.

The Mayans were behind this off season ... I knew it! ;)

Somebody told me the Mayans did not account for leap year in their calendar calculations. I don't know if that's true or not but if so the world should have come to an end about 3 years ago.

But something strange is happening for certain. I figure the Bills to be the second best team 'on paper' in the ACFE at the moment. My wife is always blasting me for being so negative but I seriously think they challenge for a wild card spot if things go well this season.

Clayton's comments would carry more weight if every time I saw his face I didn't see one third of The Lollipop Guild.

I see the great gazoo from the flinstones. Or Mr. Garrison from south park.

They have an easier schedule this year. They should go 8 and 8 at least.

The jinx is in! I blame the entire season and its inevitable dismays on this post alone.

Seriously though, I like it better last year - when we were supposed to kind of suck, like usual, and then sat at the top of the NFL in week three and made national headlines as a true surprise - not an expected turnaround. Although, I'd like it to end a bit better...

Either that or they had no real reason to believe that the Bills were going to be good before and they weren't good before. And now the Bills seemed to showed a glimpse of what is possible in the first third of last season before injuries decimated them, and have since turned the corner by the signing of Mario and Anderson and a very good draft. So now, for the first time in forever, it's pretty obvious looking at their roster that they are a much improved team and could contend.

The Bills will be 12-0 en route to a perfect season when the millenarian lunatics prove right and the world abruptly ends, thus squashing our hopes for finally winning a Super Bowl.

Less drastic but equally disappointing is that Goodell's secretary, mishearing her boss cancels the lease for the superbowl stadium which is subsequently booked for a monster truck rally and the season is deemed a tie, and...the Pro Bowl goes on as scheduled.

The Bills will be 12-0 en route to a perfect season when the millenarian lunatics prove right and the world abruptly ends, thus squashing our hopes for finally winning a Super Bowl.

Frighteningly, I've had the exact same thought.

It's the question all humans ask in life - do the Bills finally win a Super Bowl? Well, too bad, you'll never know...

The real question is, if we're up by 14 in the fourth, when the world ends - do we at least get some measure of respect in the afterlife?

They have an easier schedule this year. They should go 8 and 8 at least.

See - this thinking makes no sense to me - they went 6-10 against a brutal schedule and ridiculous injuries last year.

Do you not think they improved as a team with Mario and Anderson and what looks like a better than average draft?

Do you not think they were hit unusually hard by injuries last year??

Meanwhile both the Jets and Dolphins lost multiple key players.

I don't _know_ what will happen, but anything less than 10-6 would be a major disappointment, and a real indictment of Fitz and/or Gailey (or they get nailed with crazy amounts of injuries yet again).

Edited by BobChalmers

He didn't completely go off the deep end but he was heaping praise on the Bills for their offseason and draft. He said with the exception of Detroit, the Bills might have the best tackle combo in the league.

He also had a very interesting point about Mario Williams. He did everything he could to adapt to playing LB in a 3-4 but he'll be even better in a 4-3.

He said Buffalo will be a "surprise" team this year.

I just know he violated the terms of his contract by saying this.

The Bills won't catch anyone by surprise this year. They did enough during the 5-2 start last year to open everyone's eyes, and I honestly can't remember a team so efficiently and effectively filling nearly every hole as the Bills have done this offseason. I believe if most of us had put together a "wish list" for the Bills at the conclusion of last season, it would have looked something like this (caveat -- this presumes you are comfortable with a healthy Fitz as the starting QB):

Re-sign key free agents -- Check (Stevie, Urbik, Rinehart, Lindell, Chandler, Morrison)

Upgrade the backup QB position -- Question mark (did Thigpen suffer b/c of lockout?)

Good post. Right now everything looks aligned and settled except for the #2 WR position. It is wide open. The good thing is that if Johnson is double teamed, Fitz can still go to Chandler. Chan should still figure a way out to get Spiller at wide out. He repeatedly beat the defender on those fly out patterns....Unfortunately, Fitz threw some horrible balls on those plays. This team is filled with weapons. Now it is up to the coaching staff to get it right.

May be they could make a play for Braylon Edwards who is still out in FA.

Edited by ganesh

If everyone is saying that Buffalo could be a "surprise", then how are they a surprise?

It's pretty much settled at this point that the media expects Buffalo to be competitive this year. Hopefully we can live up to expectations for once.

I loved in '88 when even loftier expectations were thrust upon the Bills, who hadn't made the playoffs in 7 years, and had at one point won 8 games in three years........Fred Smerlas was asked if all these magazines would be right by picking the Bills to win the division, etc. He said Well, they sure were right when they picked us to suck!

'88 turned out to be one of the great years in Bills history.

Well if that is the case, if there are no other 12-0 teams I think we win by default with an asterisk.

Sure, I'll give you those points. But other than that - what have they done to improve the team? :lol:

I am pretty sure that their is football in heaven, you better start scalping.

!@#$ing Mayans are cheap and hate the Bills.

Frighteningly, I've had the exact same thought.

It's the question all humans ask in life - do the Bills finally win a Super Bowl? Well, too bad, you'll never know...

The real question is, if we're up by 14 in the fourth, when the world ends - do we at least get some measure of respect in the afterlife?

There is no afterlife, sorry for your loss. :unsure:

!@#$ing Mayans are cheap and hate the Bills.

Ralph is a Mayan, now it all makes sense. :blink:

I agree with most of your post... except the part about our no.2 WR, which we still don't have, easley is still considerd a rookie, wit bad injury history, is un proven an has had no playing time to adapt to NFL level, tj is also a WR who is raw, neither will be our starting no.2 WR which is stilla big need we should of addressed in the draft. And back up QB is still hidious, thigpen is not a back up, MAYBE a 3rd string QB thats about it. Corp is injury prone and doesnt have good numbers even at richmond playing subpar competition. Basically we filled all of our needs except those 2. I really think we should of drafted a QB in the 7th or udfa like moore or keenum just to groom. And someone like streeter whos incredible tall and fast, idk how we let pass up, but maybe we can make some more moves and aquire some goodies still