There's talk that Kalil could slide out of the top 10.

Subterfuge this time of year is tremendous. Kalil isn't dropping outside the top 10, but someone somewhere is trying to create somnething that isn't there in attempt to place doubt into other potential suitors. It's a game and that's all.

As I said above, the key team is STL (assuming the Vikes were serious when they said they weren't taking Kalil, and they have no reason to lie about that). If they pass, and it's possible since Saffold showed promise his rookie season, he'll drop to 10 unless another team trades-up.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's how I see it. The Vikings will take Kalil at the #3 spot BUT if they didn't for some strange reason then I could believe that Kalil makes it all the way to the Panthers at the #9 spot. If that happens then here is where the problem will be. Some other team (KC? Dallas? Whoever??) trades up and beats us to the punch. Here's my question, if that happens, Kalil at #9, should we make a trade with the Panthers?

Here's how I see it. The Vikings will take Kalil at the #3 spot BUT if they didn't for some strange reason then I could believe that Kalil makes it all the way to the Panthers at the #9 spot. If that happens then here is where the problem will be. Some other team (KC? Dallas? Whoever??) trades up and beats us to the punch. Here's my question, if that happens, Kalil at #9, should we make a trade with the Panthers?

During a press conference this week Marty Hurney said they would like to trade down. If Claiborne is at 9 the Panthers would snatch him up. They are desperate for corners.

I don't think we'd take Kalil. Yes, he is the top tackle, but if case you haven't noticed, an earlier thread on this board pointed out that Buddy is drafting and acquiring bigger OL, and Kalil is 6-6, but only 295. Not to mention that Buddy's draft history is not exactly replete with 1st-round OL.

Let me just say this.

If Kalil OR Blackmon slide and end up available at #10, it'll further solidify my theory that the Bills captured a leprechaun earlier this offseason and are forcing him to grant them wishes.

:lol: or a geni, we got one BIG wish in Mario now we need the best QB of all time and eternity of SB contention. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This could absolutely, really happen. Looking at the teams picking before Buffalo, if Minni selects Claiborne, the only team ahead of Buffalo that might need a left tackle is St. Louis. St. Louis has Roger Saffold at LT. He had an impressive rookie year in 2010 but struggled somewhat last year which ended prematurely in November with a torn pectoral muscle. Does St. Louis feel he can regain his rookie form? If so, they will go for a wide receiver, which is considered their #1 priority, and Blackmon and Floyd will be available.

If Minni and St. Louis passes, Buffalo will have him if they want him because none of the others picking in front of Buffalo needs a LT.

Does anyone know if Buffalo had Kalil in for a visit?

Yes

Remember how great Robert Gallery was supposed to be the LT of the decade, now he is a guard for the pats. I've seen reports where Kalil is not a Joe Thomas or Jake long just the best LT in this draft. Same thing for Blackmon who would have been third behind AJ Green and Julio Jones last year. So if he slides and we don't take him I'll be fine with just about anyone we pick except Coples or Poe who is playing for the money and did not play well at small ball Memphis respectively.

I don't think we'd take Kalil. Yes, he is the top tackle, but if case you haven't noticed, an earlier thread on this board pointed out that Buddy is drafting and acquiring bigger OL, and Kalil is 6-6, but only 295. Not to mention that Buddy's draft history is not exactly replete with 1st-round OL.

Yeah but the reports on Kalil is that he plays uber strong and tough. Its easy to see how you can look at a guy who is 295 as being undersized but one he could add some weight as I am sure his 6-6 frame would support it without damaging his mobility and his size hasn't impeded his ability to be a tough dominant player in the college ranks.

If Kalil is there at 10 I think he has to be the pick at that point. Nix would be foolish to pass on him because he is

"undersized".

Let me just say this.

If Kalil OR Blackmon slide and end up available at #10, it'll further solidify my theory that the Bills captured a leprechaun earlier this offseason and are forcing him to grant them wishes.

Thanks for this. I literally LOLed. Made my day.

As I said above, the key team is STL (assuming the Vikes were serious when they said they weren't taking Kalil, and they have no reason to lie about that). If they pass, and it's possible since Saffold showed promise his rookie season, he'll drop to 10 unless another team trades-up.

Only once in the past 10 drafts has the top ranked OT prospect dropped beyond the 10th pick. That was in 2005 when Jammal Brown went to NO at 13th. And in an age where passing is king, it's hard to see 9 teams passing on the top OT, even with 2 premium QB's, 1 RB, a WR, and a CB on the board. Minnesota, perhaps Saint Louis, even Carolina (Gross is 31 and Otah is perennially injured) could be there. Besides, with the rookie wage scale in place, someone could move up.

Making a declarative statement about a player lasting is entirely premature. Anything can happen, but it remains highly unlikely that Kalil lasts to 10.

Only once in the past 10 drafts has the top ranked OT prospect dropped beyond the 10th pick. That was in 2005 when Jammal Brown went to NO at 13th. And in an age where passing is king, it's hard to see 9 teams passing on the top OT, even with 2 premium QB's, 1 RB, a WR, and a CB on the board. Minnesota, perhaps Saint Louis, even Carolina (Gross is 31 and Otah is perennially injured) could be there. Besides, with the rookie wage scale in place, someone could move up.

Making a declarative statement about a player lasting is entirely premature. Anything can happen, but it remains highly unlikely that Kalil lasts to 10.

That's why I said IF STL passes on him and no one trades into the top-10 to take him. Although doing a search, it appears that the Vikes never said they wouldn't take Kalil and that it was just Schefter opining they would't. And with Saffold battling injuries last year but still showing promise, and every other team from 4-9 having high-priced LT's, I'll now amend my statement as say that if Kalil makes it past the Vikes and no one trades into the top-9, he'll make it to the Bills' pick. But I won't even guarantee the Bills take him.

If he falls someone will move up, who and how high is the only real question. And he won't get past 10, the heading should be fixed ;)

The heading is based on the article- though the article is nonsense implying we'd pass for need. Makes it hard to trust anything in it!

Bucs, St Louis, Jags and the Panthers could all use him. No way he drops

The Panthers would love the opportunity to pair him up with his brother and protect Superman's blindside. Won't go past #9. N O W A Y !

The Panthers would love the opportunity to pair him up with his brother and protect Superman's blindside. Won't go past #9. N O W A Y !

Not to mention teams behind us like Arizona or Chicago would try to move up once he started to drop. Bills would probably need to go up to #5 if they want Kalil.

More discussion from today's Minneapolis Star Tribune:

"That's a question Spielman and Vikings coach Leslie Frazier must consider, measuring Kalil's worth alongside fellow blue-chip prospects such as LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne and Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon.

"You've got to really weigh your options," Frazier said. "Because the philosophy [in the NFL] has always been to get the game-changer. And left tackle is not necessarily the game-changer. Usually game-changers are the guys who can score you points. Receivers. Quarterbacks. So what are we measuring that left tackle against? It's a loaded debate."

Bucs, St Louis, Jags and the Panthers could all use him. No way he drops

The Jags and Panthers have high Draft Picks at LT...Jordan Gross is a leader on that Panthers Team...Eugene Monroe was a HIGH 1st Rd. Pick in J-Ville...The Jags could use help at RT I guess, but they need help on Defense more...I don't know about those 2 Teams...

The Bucs have Donald Penn who was a Pro-Bowl alternate...And they will not pass on Trent Richardson if he's there...

The Rams have Saffold and REALLY want a WR...But I could see St Louis taking Kalil if Blackmon is gone, and they don't like Floyd enough...

So anyway...I'm definitely not saying Kalil will fall because I doubt it...But it's not a lock any of those 4 teams takes him either... B-)

The Jags and Panthers have high Draft Picks at LT...Jordan Gross is a leader on that Panthers Team...Eugene Monroe was a HIGH 1st Rd. Pick in J-Ville...The Jags could use help at RT I guess, but they need help on Defense more...I don't know about those 2 Teams...

The Bucs have Donald Penn who was a Pro-Bowl alternate...And they will not pass on Trent Richardson if he's there...

The Rams have Saffold and REALLY want a WR...But I could see St Louis taking Kalil if Blackmon is gone, and they don't like Floyd enough...

So anyway...I'm definitely not saying Kalil will fall because I doubt it...But it's not a lock any of those 4 teams takes him either... B-)

Basically it's just the Vikes or a team that trades into the top-9, otherwise he'll fall. The Rams have a lot of other needs and have Saffold, so they'll probably look elsewhere. The rest as you said have high-priced LT's.

Frazier's comments are interesting. At this time before the draft usually everything a team says is a lie. But this draft is crazy in that it really starts at the #3 spot. Maybe Frazier is being honest and he wants a playmaker to go with Peterson and Ponder, thus they take Blackmon instead of Kalil. If that happens picks 4-10 are all turned on their head. With Claiborne and Kalil now available for teams that want them a bidding war to move up could ensue. If Cleveland somehow takes Tannehil then it will be choas.

These days every original top ten pick is sliding down and potential 2nd rounders are going up the draft boards. At this rate the Bills should easily have a choice between Luck and RG3 at the #10 slot... Maybe we can draft Luck at 10 and Kalil will still be there when we pick in the 2nd round...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

These days every original top ten pick is sliding down and potential 2nd rounders are going up the draft boards. At this rate the Bills should easily have a choice between Luck and RG3 at the #10 slot... Maybe we can draft Luck at 10 and Kalil will still be there when we pick in the 2nd round...

Now thats fantasy football talkin' LOL

Frazier's comments are interesting. At this time before the draft usually everything a team says is a lie. But this draft is crazy in that it really starts at the #3 spot. Maybe Frazier is being honest and he wants a playmaker to go with Peterson and Ponder, thus they take Blackmon instead of Kalil. If that happens picks 4-10 are all turned on their head. With Claiborne and Kalil now available for teams that want them a bidding war to move up could ensue. If Cleveland somehow takes Tannehil then it will be choas.

Peterson is rehabbing a severe knee injury. Even though reports are good on him it is possible he may not recover completely. Taking Richardson wouldn't be out of the question for Vikes.

Yeah but the reports on Kalil is that he plays uber strong and tough. Its easy to see how you can look at a guy who is 295 as being undersized but one he could add some weight as I am sure his 6-6 frame would support it without damaging his mobility and his size hasn't impeded his ability to be a tough dominant player in the college ranks.

If Kalil is there at 10 I think he has to be the pick at that point. Nix would be foolish to pass on him because he is

"undersized".

Key words: in the college ranks. There is a huge step from the PAC-12 to the NFL. I would much rather prefer a guy who doesn't need to put on weight.

Key words: in the college ranks. There is a huge step from the PAC-12 to the NFL. I would much rather prefer a guy who doesn't need to put on weight.

So when it was obvious that the Bills weren't drafting Kalil. I didn't feel the need to enter my two cents.

Now that there is talk that he might be sliding.

I was happier with thought Kalil would be off the board when the Bills pick.

He just doesn't seem nasty to me. His brother Ryan Kalil is nasty.

Matt Kalil in totally unscientific, and just perception through fluff draft video seems like he is just Ryan's little buddy. Not a Big bad NFL LT.

Although I don't really give these thoughts much credence, I can't help thinking them.

If Kalil did fall to the Bills, man I hope I'm way off on this irrational feeling.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d827aff5b/Draft-Journey-The-Kalil-brothers

Size-wise, Kalil is very similar to Pears at the end of the 2010 season. Nix wanted him tp put on 20 pounds, and I'm sure he'd ask the same of Kalil. That said, a top 3 guy should be ready to go today. Can understand why some scouts/experts are luke-warm on Kalil.

Also, Schefter was the 1st to call Von Miller to Denver when everyone had Dareus pegged to Denver. If Shefter is saying Vikings aren't taking Kalil, I believe him.

Just read Peter Kings MMQ column and he said that Kalil is till more than likely the vikings pick but if they do pass there is a very real possibility that he falls to use at #10! Not personally counting on it but if it does happen then I would be all in favor of his selection!!

The Bucs and Panthers have pretty good OLs. They also have tough, agile QBs who don't get sacked too much (obviously there's an interrelationship between the QB's quickness and # of sacks)

The Jags and Rams may have recent high draft picks, but the Jags are poor and the Rams are outright bad in their OL play (leading the league in sacks and 2nd in QB hits.)

Both Jacs and StL have struggling young 1st round pick QBs they badly want to develop for success. Giving them a brilliant WR corps won't help a bit if they're sitting on their a** before they can throw it.

It's possible both teams might pass on Kalil if they feel their current LT just needs more time to develop. I wouldn't rule out that both teams feel improvement on the OL is badly needed, regardless of recent high picks. Cuz it is.

Who do you think starts all these rumors? There's a reason one old term for the market process was "cheapening" eg you "cheapen" the goods you really want to buy.

If Claiborne and Richardson are gone at #3 and 4, the Buccs would most likely take Kalil. Sure they have Penn, but he's only been decent the past couple of seasons, not great. And Trueblood hasn't been good at all on the right side. Word out fo Tampa is that they love all 3 of Claiborne, Richardson, and Kalil.

So when it was obvious that the Bills weren't drafting Kalil. I didn't feel the need to enter my two cents.

Now that there is talk that he might be sliding.

I was happier with thought Kalil would be off the board when the Bills pick.

He just doesn't seem nasty to me. His brother Ryan Kalil is nasty.

Matt Kalil in totally unscientific, and just perception through fluff draft video seems like he is just Ryan's little buddy. Not a Big bad NFL LT.

Although I don't really give these thoughts much credence, I can't help thinking them.

If Kalil did fall to the Bills, man I hope I'm way off on this irrational feeling.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d827aff5b/Draft-Journey-The-Kalil-brothers

I'm with you on this.

Size-wise, Kalil is very similar to Pears at the end of the 2010 season. Nix wanted him tp put on 20 pounds, and I'm sure he'd ask the same of Kalil. That said, a top 3 guy should be ready to go today. Can understand why some scouts/experts are luke-warm on Kalil.

Also, Schefter was the 1st to call Von Miller to Denver when everyone had Dareus pegged to Denver. If Shefter is saying Vikings aren't taking Kalil, I believe him.

But would those same 20 pounds affect Kalil's athleticism?

I love the draft but it does get silly. Guys who haven't played football in months are suddenly rising & falling.

Mel Kiper is an evil genius. I can't wait for Thursday to finally get here.

"Mel Kiper is an evil genius" . . . love him or hate him, you have to admire how he has made himself a pretty good living off of simply putting his opinions out there, wouldn't we all love to do that?