S Mark Barron discussion

Haplo848

Now, I'm not saying I like this pick. In fact, I think it's a horrible one, since we already have Byrd and Wilson who played really well last year. But for the past few days, I've been hearing that the Bills really like Barron, that he could be a surprise pick of the Bills. Even Chris Brown on BB.com's Fan Friday this week talked about how much the Bills liked him. I keep thinking "That's a horrible pick, we're set there, there's no way we go that way," but then I remember thinking the same exact things in the last week before the draft two years ago when people would say how the Bills were going to pick Spiller. And we all know how that turned out. I for one am going to prepare myself to accept the fact the Bills are drafting a safety...

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way we draft Barron, in fact, I believe we won't be drafting one this year. CBs, sure, but not safety. Searcy is Wilson's back-up with Bryan Scott being the emergency guy. Wilson would move to FS if Bryd can't go, emergency FS should be McGee or Aaron Williams.

I wonder if Barron didn't have that sports hernia that hurt him around the combine and pro days if he would be the "elite 6" discussion making it #7? Not saying I want him because I think Wilson and Byrd are great back there but if Nix is all about BPA it is possible that he's our nickel LB and back up SS. I'll go on record saying I would like to either trade down and take a player like Glenn or stay put and take Gilmore/Kuechly/Blackmon/Floyd...

Peter King at si.com thinks that the Bills will take Floyd, but he also thinks the Bills should take Barron instead. He admits he is not good at mock drafts.

BPA is the logical way to go, but picking somebody at what could be considered your deepest position seems a little weird.

It will not be Floyd. I don't see buddy and Chan taking a wr that high from nd. Plenty of wr talent deep wr draft plus the money Floyd will want is not to our liking. It will be a defensive lineman or the kid from bc

I'll tell you what... :doh:

I'm uncertain exactly how pissed off I would be if the Bills took Barron...But my guess is...VERY... :D

I know this much...IF they took Barron, and I still don't think they will, they better hope he's the next coming of Ed Reed then some...This is a Team with a fairly RECENT history of a failed Top 10 Strong Safety Draft Pick...I know that was not Nix regime, and I'm sure Buddy would tell you he pays no attention to all that...But he should...The Bills are FINE at Safety...FINE...George Wilson played real well at times last year...He had a couple real nice Games before he got hurt...Byrd is a solid, if not spectacular FS...They Drafted Searcy last Season and he seems to have promise...This is a Safety unit playing behind a Front 4 that got almost NO pressure...They are fine...

I'm not saying Barron is not a good player...He is...He's clearly the top rated Safety in this Draft...No question...He's big, physical, instinctive, and fast enough (He's NOT a speed burner though)...A leader on that Crimson Tide D...He's a great Prospect...But not for The Bills, and especially not right now...It's a bad Football move when you are trying to build a TEAM that can win now...Barron is a Strong Safety in the NFL...I'm not in favor of Drafting almost any Safety (OK I'll give you Reed, Polamalu, and Ronnie freaking Lott) in the Top 10...Let alone a SS...But on a Team with Needs at LT, OLB, CB, and WR...Drafting a SS at #10 is a potential blunder that can have a long lasting effect...It really make no sense to me at all...

And much of this could be that The Bills know there are SEVERAL Teams that want Barron...He's by far the top rated Safety, which is inflating his value just a bit IMHO...But if you're a Team like the Cowboys with a HUGE need at Safety, you don't really care about using a Top 15 pick on Barron...If some Team, like the Boys, Trades ahead of The Bills for Barron, that means somebody else slides through...And that's a good thing...At least in theory it is...

I know this much...The first Round just got a lot more nerve-wracking for me with Barron's name now surfacing for The Bills...I really think I'll cry if they Pick that Kid...It would be a massive mistake IMHO...Not on the scale of Whitner...But almost... :huh:

If he's a special player, you take him. You don't pass up on a potential superstar/difference maker in the top 10 to get a decent starter at another position. BPA means just that. Drafting for need in the 1st round is how you get busts....whitner, mcmuffin, etc.....take the best guy, he will make the team better right away, you can never have enough elite players, even if guys played well at times at the position....

When I clicked on this thread, my FEAR was that the poster's name would be NEVERGIVEUP.

Dodged that bullet.

They are not taking Barron. It'll be Kooky or Fleener (if its a surprise pick). They look ready to get the best player in the draft at some position, but that position wont be Safety (or, if there is a god, running back). I'm all for BPA but that would be stupid.

Edited by maddenboy

I wonder if Barron didn't have that sports hernia that hurt him around the combine and pro days if he would be the "elite 6" discussion making it #7? Not saying I want him because I think Wilson and Byrd are great back there but if Nix is all about BPA it is possible that he's our nickel LB and back up SS. I'll go on record saying I would like to either trade down and take a player like Glenn or stay put and take Gilmore/Kuechly/Blackmon/Floyd...

Was it a sports hernia? I thought it was his shoulder.

If he's a special player, you take him. You don't pass up on a potential superstar/difference maker in the top 10 to get a decent starter at another position. BPA means just that. Drafting for need in the 1st round is how you get busts....whitner, mcmuffin, etc.....take the best guy, he will make the team better right away, you can never have enough elite players, even if guys played well at times at the position....

The Bills picked McKelvin as he was their BPA on their draft board and look where it got them..Drafting is a crap shoot.

The Bills picked McKelvin as he was their BPA on their draft board and look where it got them..Drafting is a crap shoot.

It is, but less so if you do your homework and have good coaching.

BPA is not the right thing to do every time across the board...Easy example? There are Scouts that have Trent Richardson as the #1 Player overall in this Draft...Ahead of Luck, ahead of RG3...So should the Colts take Richardson? Of coarse not...

But I'll play along anyway...IMHO there is no possible way Barron will be the BPA at #10...No way...And I REALLY mean that...Plus he's a SS...And like Luck vs. Richardson, you cannot disregard position, especially when it's not a definite area of need...If he is the top guy on The Bills Board at #10...which again I doubt...then The Bills need to Trade out of #10...It's that simple... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

BPA is not the right thing to do every time across the board...Easy example? There are Scouts that have Trent Richardson as the #1 Player overall in this Draft...Ahead of Luck, ahead of RG3...So should the Colts take Richardson? Of coarse not...

But I'll play along anyway...IMHO there is no possible way Barron will be the BPA at #10...No way...And I REALLY mean that...Plus he's a SS...And like Luck vs. Richardson, you cannot disregard position, especially when it's not a definite area of need...If he is the top guy on The Bills Board at #10...which again I doubt...then The Bills need to Trade out of #10...It's that simple... B-)

Isn't a question of how each team rates the players? Just because a scouting service or a draftnik has his/her board set in a certain order doesn't mean that the teams will have done so the same way.

I'll tell you what... :doh:

I'm uncertain exactly how pissed off I would be if the Bills took Barron...But my guess is...VERY... :D

I know this much...IF they took Barron, and I still don't think they will, they better hope he's the next coming of Ed Reed then some...This is a Team with a fairly RECENT history of a failed Top 10 Strong Safety Draft Pick...I know that was not Nix regime, and I'm sure Buddy would tell you he pays no attention to all that...But he should...The Bills are FINE at Safety...FINE...George Wilson played real well at times last year...He had a couple real nice Games before he got hurt...Byrd is a solid, if not spectacular FS...They Drafted Searcy last Season and he seems to have promise...This is a Safety unit playing behind a Front 4 that got almost NO pressure...They are fine...

I'm not saying Barron is not a good player...He is...He's clearly the top rated Safety in this Draft...No question...He's big, physical, instinctive, and fast enough (He's NOT a speed burner though)...A leader on that Crimson Tide D...He's a great Prospect...But not for The Bills, and especially not right now...It's a bad Football move when you are trying to build a TEAM that can win now...Barron is a Strong Safety in the NFL...I'm not in favor of Drafting almost any Safety (OK I'll give you Reed, Polamalu, and Ronnie freaking Lott) in the Top 10...Let alone a SS...But on a Team with Needs at LT, OLB, CB, and WR...Drafting a SS at #10 is a potential blunder that can have a long lasting effect...It really make no sense to me at all...

And much of this could be that The Bills know there are SEVERAL Teams that want Barron...He's by far the top rated Safety, which is inflating his value just a bit IMHO...But if you're a Team like the Cowboys with a HUGE need at Safety, you don't really care about using a Top 15 pick on Barron...If some Team, like the Boys, Trades ahead of The Bills for Barron, that means somebody else slides through...And that's a good thing...At least in theory it is...

I know this much...The first Round just got a lot more nerve-wracking for me with Barron's name now surfacing for The Bills...I really think I'll cry if they Pick that Kid...It would be a massive mistake IMHO...Not on the scale of Whitner...But almost... :huh:

Best post in this thread :thumbsup:

I completely agree and they are my sentiments as well.

Peter King at si.com thinks that the Bills will take Floyd, but he also thinks the Bills should take Barron instead. He admits he is not good at mock drafts.

BPA is the logical way to go, but picking somebody at what could be considered your deepest position seems a little weird.

Spiller

It is, but less so if you do your homework and have good coaching.

And if the player has a brain in his head. You can have the best coaching in the world, but if the kid can't tell the difference between a square and circle...

Claiborne scares me for that very reason and I hope he doesn't slide down to us...

they better hope he's the next coming of Ed Reed and then some...

And then some? Really? I'm not keen to draft a safety either, but if he were as good as Ed Reed I'd be happy if they used the number one pick in the draft on him. Ed Reed is not only the best safety of this generation, he's one of the best players of this generation period. Instant hall of famer. If the Bills draft a hall of famer at 10, I don't care what position it is (as long as it's not a punter/kicker).

(Again, not saying I think Barron is anywhere near that level.)

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

I was afraid the Bills were going to draft AJ Green last year, even seconds before the Dareus pick. We gotta have faith in Buddy. He seems to know what he's doing.

I don't think you have to worry about the Barron pick. Barron will not be the top talent on the board when #10 comes up... while CJ Spiller obviously was.

Isn't Byrd a free agent next year?

If so, maybe they are planning ahead. Maybe they trade Byrd knowing he is up next year. I bet a number of teams would love him. Dick Jauron in Cleveland sure knows what Byrd can do in his style defense.

drafting is a crap shoot only if you are making your picks by throwing darts at your list of players

it is much less of a crap shoot if you have good talent evaluators and a plan in place on what kind of players succeed in the NFL

bad teams draft bad players -

good teams not so much

Teams would be wise to avoid the "consensus" on where players are ranked and just pick a player (no matter if considered a "reach") that fits their parameters of what makes a "good" player

And then some? Really? I'm not keen to draft a safety either, but if he were as good as Ed Reed I'd be happy if they used the number one pick in the draft on him. Ed Reed is not only the best safety of this generation, he's one of the best players of this generation period. Instant hall of famer. If the Bills draft a hall of famer at 10, I don't care what position it is (as long as it's not a punter/kicker).

(Again, not saying I think Barron is anywhere near that level.)

Well...The reason I said "then some" is because IT'S NOT A NEED ON THIS TEAM!!! So I hope the Kid can help out a bit elsewhere... :blink:

Seriously though...Of course if he turns out to be like Reed it would be OK...But I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Barron's career will be NOTHING like Reed's...And Barron is a SS only...I think IF Barron caps out he'll be more like Adrian Wilson...Barron IS limited a bit...Like I said before...Barron is a good prospect...But he's not an elite prospect...He's fast enough, but not REAL fast...He's a downhill player but like many SS's he has problems when he has to move and react side to side, or turning in coverage...He's a good, solid, SS prospect...The best one in this Draft and no doubt a Top 15 Prospect...But for this Team, at this time...Well...I'm obviously not on board...I'd rather have Kuechly, Gilmore, Glenn...heck even Kirkpatrick, over Barron for The Bills...But that's just me...Or is it? B-)

Isn't Byrd a free agent next year?

If so, maybe they are planning ahead. Maybe they trade Byrd knowing he is up next year. I bet a number of teams would love him. Dick Jauron in Cleveland sure knows what Byrd can do in his style defense.

Barron is not an NFL Free Safety...

Next... B-)

If the LOVE Barron and think it may be too expensive to resign Byrd, I could see the rational. It would make me sick, as I feel Byrd NEEDS to be locked up. The kids a great player, but ya never know what he'll get on the open market. Is he worth 7 mill a year? I think he could get 7+ if he has a great year.

Best case scenario, resign Byrd, don't draft Barron.

I think a Cornerback is a likely pick...I don't have a favorite to mention. But, the Bills have a long history of drafting a CB #1 whenever one of the CB's is a departure candidate . In this case, McKelvin's contract is up after this year, and he is the only corner on the roster with jets to run with the receivers in this league. Despite his bad press on this board, Bleacher rated McKelvin about #40 in the league, and I think thats right. I think the Bills will get a corner because, unless McKelvin has a breakout year, he will garner much more money than the Bills are willing to pay for him based on his current performance level. So, drafting McKelvin's replacement seems logical to me. McKelvin is a disappointment...he is close, just not there yet. But, he is young, and may yet be a pro bowl corner...just not likely for the Bills.

If the LOVE Barron and think it may be too expensive to resign Byrd, I could see the rational. It would make me sick, as I feel Byrd NEEDS to be locked up. The kids a great player, but ya never know what he'll get on the open market. Is he worth 7 mill a year? I think he could get 7+ if he has a great year.

Best case scenario, resign Byrd, don't draft Barron.

I hear what you're saying...But I think this is a relatively common misconception about Barron going around...That misconception being that he is a lock to excel at Free or Strong Safety in the NFL...And I just don't see it that way...I don't think he's an NFL FS...Though I readily admit he's a very good SS prospect...

Below are a couple Scouting Reports that I feel back up what I see in Barron when I watch him...Everyone agrees he's a good prospect...But I think if you put him back there at FS, especially early in his career, he's going to struggle...And even though I think it's stupid for The Bills to even think Safety at #10, I could maybe understand a little if it was a guy like Eric Berry who was REAL versatile...I don't think Barron is that type of player...But I guess we'll see in time...

Walter Football

National Football Post