Maybe Stevie is better than we thought

Cornerback Darrelle Revis was the queen on the chessboard, per the usual. Surprisingly, opposing quarterbacks threw at him 89 times, but were only successful 36 times.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8264fad6/article/exit-interview-can-disappointing-jets-go-forward-with-sanchez

Stevie had 11 catches for 159 yards an a TD including the longest catch against Revis all year (52 yards) Thats 30.5% of the completions this entire season against Revis was Fitz to Stevie. Thats not a bad percentage

I can't believe stevie was excited about beating him, seems like its not really that hard for him

Cornerback Darrelle Revis was the queen on the chessboard, per the usual. Surprisingly, opposing quarterbacks threw at him 89 times, but were only successful 36 times.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8264fad6/article/exit-interview-can-disappointing-jets-go-forward-with-sanchez

Stevie had 11 catches for 159 yards an a TD including the longest catch against Revis all year (52 yards) Thats 30.5% of the completions this entire season against Revis was Fitz to Stevie. Thats not a bad percentage

I can't believe stevie was excited about beating him, seems like its not really that hard for him

Maybe Revis had the runs that day.

I love this post Hindsight!

+1

As someone already stated, he's not Calvin Johnson, Amdre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald but nobody else is either. Those guys are probably HOFers to be honest. Stevie is proving to be very good. Back to back 1,000 yard seasons is good. Anybody that has a raro about howany WR reached 1,000 yards last year cam go back 2 years and tell us howany had back to back years.

How many times did Andre Reed do that? Oh ya, none and he's a potential HOFer.

How many WRs did equivelent to what Stevie did against the argued best CB in the game and many argue to be the best since PrimeTime. Also a HOFer.

How many WRs played on a team as bad as us?

And lastly, how many drops did all these fictional WRs have compared to Stevie? Probably more.

For those in this thread that are focusing on Stevie's drop against the Jets...Go Away. This was not a thread created to bash Stevie and drive him out of town. There are other threads or twitter for that nonsense. The point of this thread was to say that Stevie is a guy Buffalo needs to keep and here is proof that he is an upper-echelon WR in the NFL. Hell, even Wes Welker drops big time potential game-winning passes. I don't think anyone in NE is trying to fire Welker. Can you all be happy with something for once?? I know, I know, "I won't be happy till the Bills get back to the playoffs, and having a guy like Stevie Johnson who drops passes is not going to help us get there!" :wallbash: I want Stevie in Buffalo, and in my eyes he has proven 2 things...1. He is a top flight WR in the NFL...2 He needs to be just a little more consistent in order to be talked about in the same sentence as Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.

I do because it was one drop. He owns Revis when nobody else does. Sign Stevie now.

Stevie's great and he owned Revis and I want the Bills to re-sign him.

Stevie also needs to work on his drops. It's not just one. Even in the one game he had a brutal drop followed by a tough but catchable ball that he didn't get. Either catch wins that game.

I don't think you've forgotten the Steelers game OT. He's done it a few times. It's a pattern.

He's still an excellent WR, but if he's going to be a top-10 guy, especially with his just-OK speed, he needs to stop the drops.

Stevie gave revis 2 of his worst games of the season

If those were Revis's worst games then start making his bust for Canton right now.

I still think some of Stevies "sucess" against Revis is that Fitz had no other options.

Stevie = Good.

Revis = Great.

Edited by Bob in STL

If Stevie can get his antics under control, he can easily surpass Buffalo's greatest receiver in history in Andre Reed from a stats perspective. If he gets his drops under control, he may even finish his career as an elite level player. He is not the big game receiver Andre was, but he is not the same style player either, but I want him here long term, and if the team would play with a lead once in a while, a few drops aren't even an issue.

Sign the guy, enough of the tight pocketed BS already.

His work against Revis was masterful in that game in New Jersey; he put on a route-running clinic.

For me, the bottom line on Stevie is that this team doesn't have a glut of playmakers on offense, and he's a guy that makes good things happen out there, so you re-sign him; that's what good teams do.

Just my 1 cent.

That one handed catch he made on the sideline, that was nearly in bounds, was masterful. It made the NFL films highlight for the year even though he didn't get in bounds.

That game showed a lot about Stevie's abilities.

Stevie had the opportunity to OWN Revis, but dropped the dagger. NY Jets got the win and once again the Bills find a way to lose. A great game is when you win.

If fitz could throw the ball accurately this would not be a problem.....Stevie lost at least 3 td's this year over Fitz's inaccuracy

1329360173[/url]' post='2383949']

Stevie had the opportunity to OWN Revis, but dropped the dagger. NY Jets got the win and once again the Bills find a way to lose. A great game is when you win.

And he had another opportunity, but the qb threw the ball about 6 feet from him while he was wide open in the end zone

If fitz could throw the ball accurately this would not be a problem.....Stevie lost at least 3 td's this year over Fitz's inaccuracy

I'm not going to argue with that. But, if said inaccurate QB put the ball in the receivers bread basket with the game on the line, is it too much to ask said receiver to catch it? David Nelson did against the Raidahs. Stevie is better than David, right? Or, is he? As Gizelle would say, Fitz can't throw the ball and catch it too.

Also, given said QBs inaccuracy, it becomes even more important to catch the ball when it hits you in the bread basket with the game on the line because you may not get another one.

And he had another opportunity, but the qb threw the ball about 6 feet from him while he was wide open in the end zone

As I recall that ball did hit his hand. Fitz also threw a catchable, although tough catch, to Brad Smith on the last play.

Blaming that drop, or the one against Pitt the year before on anyone else except Stevie is just silly.

I'm only saying that if we say a guy is great, we have to consider the good with the bad and not excuse the bad out of hand and shift the blame elsewhere.

I won't hate it if re sign Stevie and I won't hate it if we don't.

Edited by reddogblitz

Unfortunately for all of us, fitz says the feeling is mutual....

His work against Revis was masterful in that game in New Jersey; he put on a route-running clinic.

For me, the bottom line on Stevie is that this team doesn't have a glut of playmakers on offense, and he's a guy that makes good things happen out there, so you re-sign him; that's what good teams do.

Just my 1 cent.

One thing I do like is that you build to beat your division, and it seems Stevie fits that mold. I'll give credit there. If he keeps maturing as a player and a person he will be a great fit moving forward. Not to say no one else could fill that role.

Stevie is a number 1 caliber WR. He's no Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, but he's better than most team's number 1 receiver hands down. If you think otherwise, you better get your head checked.

Ya ! I better get my head examined, cuz I thought Stevie was average, I guess if you drop game winning balls, catch a bunch of slants all year long, are slow and get penalized for unecessary td celebrations time and again, you are better than all but the top three guys in the league. Hear that everyone? Stevie is the fourth best reciever in the league now!

How bout stevie is every other teams number 2. Who exactly can name at least 15 other teams number ones, who arent better than steivie?

Well thats all for now, got to go get my head examined and tell mommy about the time stevie beat revis agian....mommy said Revis brought his B game because he didnt give a S&^% about those games, he knew the jets would win anyway.

Ya ! I better get my head examined, cuz I thought Stevie was average, I guess if you drop game winning balls, catch a bunch of slants all year long, are slow and get penalized for unecessary td celebrations time and again, you are better than all but the top three guys in the league. Hear that everyone? Stevie is the fourth best reciever in the league now!

How bout stevie is every other teams number 2. Who exactly can name at least 15 other teams number ones, who arent better than steivie?

Well thats all for now, got to go get my head examined and tell mommy about the time stevie beat revis agian....mommy said Revis brought his B game because he didnt give a S&^% about those games, he knew the jets would win anyway.

Oh how strange. Another bills team and fan basher on TBD. Actually Stevie is a pretty damn good number 1 wr and how about you name me 15 better number 1 wideouts in the league. Good luck. You must be one of those fans that wants to chase the talent we do get out of town huh? Would you like David Nelson to be our number 1 wr next season or perhaps we could sign Dwayne bowe who led the league in dropped passes. Would you like Vincent Jackson for twice as much money as Stevie when he is one dwi or any kind of trouble away from a suspension and has an attitude problem. Maybe you should learn to appreciate the talent that's on the roster of your "favorite team". BTW you took what he said out of context(about those three receivers) and then try to make fun of him for it? Thats nice.

Oh how strange. Another bills team and fan basher on TBD. Actually Stevie is a pretty damn good number 1 wr and how about you name me 15 better number 1 wideouts in the league. Good luck. You must be one of those fans that wants to chase the talent we do get out of town huh? Would you like David Nelson to be our number 1 wr next season or perhaps we could sign Dwayne bowe who led the league in dropped passes. Would you like Vincent Jackson for twice as much money as Stevie when he is one dwi or any kind of trouble away from a suspension and has an attitude problem. Maybe you should learn to appreciate the talent that's on the roster of your "favorite team". BTW you took what he said out of context(about those three receivers) and then try to make fun of him for it? Thats nice.

Just for fun I went and looked at the other 31 teams to see who I would take over Stevie. I included players who are UFA and RFA.

In no particular order they are:

AJ Green CIN

C. Johnson DET

A. Johnson HOU

L. Fitzgerald ARZ

W. Welker NE

B. Marshall MIA

S. Holmes NYJ

H. Nicks NYG

M. Wallace PITT

V. Jackson SD

G. Jennings GB

R. White ATL

Players who are similar IMO.

Colston NO

D. Bowe KC

D. Bryant DAL

D. Jackson PH

I think there are 12 better and then 4 that are pretty close, I did this without looking at any depth charts so if I missed anyone let me know. For the record I want the Bills to keep Stevie and think that 4 years $34 million with $15 guaranteed is fair.

Announcers were saying in one game that Johnson was repeatedly beating Revis. I have no doubt that Johnson is good. But he doesn't seem like the clutch guy, the guy who nails the game winning catch in the back of the end zone.

Make no mistake, I want him back. He has great moves and can usually find ways to get open. But if the game is on the line I'm looking at Chandler (who we ALSO should keep) or Fred Jackson. (who we BETTER keep)

Announcers were saying in one game that Johnson was repeatedly beating Revis. I have no doubt that Johnson is good. But he doesn't seem like the clutch guy, the guy who nails the game winning catch in the back of the end zone.

Stevie is still young and hasn't even entered his prime.

Make no mistake, I want him back. He has great moves and can usually find ways to get open. But if the game is on the line I'm looking at Chandler (who we ALSO should keep) or Fred Jackson. (who we BETTER keep)

Jackson is going nowhere. Chandler is a goner.

Stevie is a number 1 caliber WR. He's no Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, but he's better than most team's number 1 receiver hands down. If you think otherwise, you better get your head checked.

I'm not trying to knock him when I say this but statistically he doesn't rank very highly in categories like yards, TDs and first downs. I would not go as far as saying he is better than most teams #1 because 1004 yds and 7 TDs isn't setting the world on fire but he is BY FAR the best we have.

Pay the man his money and then focus on the draft and FA. Put in some bonus clauses to cut down on the unsportsmanlike penalties and find another mid to low tier #1 to put opposite him. He'll be in his 5th year in 2012 but I think he still has some upside left especially if we get another quality target. He could easily improve on those numbers with a full off season for the entire team and another year in Gailey's system.

Give Fitz more than 2.36 seconds to throw reliably and I bet his accuracy improves. It has been an issue at times after the rib injury. Honestly though I think it is really more an issue of consistency not accuracy if that makes sense. Most of his passes are very accurate and look good but on occasion he throws up an obviously bad ball thats a head scratcher.

To be fair, SJ dropped a would be TD and a likely TD this year all on his own when the ball hit him in the hands. I'm curious. What plays were you watching where SJ lost 3+ TDs due to Fitz's accuracy?

Edited by PDaDdy

I blame it on the liar QB who says "it's just some cracked ribs, I'm fine." And then proceeds to lose all but two of the rest of the games due to his injury. But he gets a pass because we can't blame the horse we plan to ride for the next 5 years

Way to put a negative spin on a tough guy who played through injury. Even while hurt he was by far the best option on the team. By the way, when did QBs start playing every position on the field? Football is a team sport last I checked and TEAMS win and lose games. I suppose Fitz gave up all those yards on the ground and in the air on defense and was also responsible for not sacking the opposing QB. LOL

Stevie's success against Revis is the #1 positive selling point for him to justify his worth. i'm really torn, but i would sign stevie to big money only if it was structured in a way that i could get out of it if he continues his antics or doesn't reach his full potential with on field performance. i don't like investing big money in WR's....i prefer it go to lineman.....but buffalo has such few options to attract top talent, that you should probably keep and overpay stevie a little.

I blame it on the liar QB who says "it's just some cracked ribs, I'm fine." And then proceeds to lose all but two of the rest of the games due to his injury. But he gets a pass because we can't blame the horse we plan to ride for the next 5 years

Boy, I'd hate to be you with all the negativity and finger pointing. Liar quarterback?

I guess you know better than the coaching staff… that Thigpen would have been a better alternative… because you're such an infallible expert.

If you made even an attempt at a well-considered remark, I'd let it pass… but your oversimplified black/white, right/wrong world apparently doesn't accommodate intelligent counterpoints such as the possible fact that Fitz even in injury gave the team the best chance to win, or the enormous amount of respect that Fitz earned from his teammates and coaches for playing through an injury he refused to acknowledge… or any other number of other valid points.

"I blame it on the liar quarterback."

That speaks volumes.

Would you like David Nelson to be our number 1 wr next season

I don't really follow this #1 vs #2 business. But when it comes to clutch I'd take David over Stevie all day. The one opportunity he had to catch the game winner this season he did. Against the Raiders where it hit him right in the hands in the EZ in crunch time and he caught it!

Fred didn't seem to have a problem holding onto the football on that long catch and run down to the Patsies 1 yard line sealing that win. We need more guys like that. Bills have been finding ways to lose close games for years. Enough. We need winners.

If we do sign him and the games on the line I hope Fitz has enough sense to go elsewhere with the football.

Was this the game where Fitzpatrick went for 26 of 39 for 264 yards and three touchdowns? Was this the game where SJ dropped a ball while wide open that should have gone for an extremely long game if not a TD? Thought so.

If SJ could catch a ball that hit him in stride and in the hands while wide open Fitz could have gone for 300+ yds and 4 TDs. Maybe SJ was focusing on his TD celebration not focusing on catching the ball. Perhaps he was thinking of how he could top his fake leg shooting to lose us another 15 yards.

Fitz sucks. Lets run him out of town! Is Trent Edwards still available? :wallbash:

Edited by PDaDdy