Would you trade FJ for a 1st rounder in 2012?

D521646

Because the Bills could get a 1000 first round picks and would likely blow them all and not get anyone half as good as Jackson.

Why would you root for a team you think has absolutely no chance of drafting well? Especially knowing that the draft is the primary source of us having an opportunity at top end talent? I just couldn't dumb myself down far enough to do that.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that's where we disagree. I think Palmer is a washed up garbage QB that was smart to retire if he was set financially. We agree on one thing....Kobe's BAAAAACCCCK!!!!

If I were Ted Thompson I'd pull the trigger on that trade in a second. Adding Fred to that offense would really create problems for opposing defenses. As of they don't create enough as it is, Fred would all but lock up another title.

Totally disagree. When you have a roster with a lot of hands out to get paid you need to keep adding cheap talented youth, not older guys looking for new deals. Cycling talent well is how you build long term. Trading firsts for 31 year old running backs is done in desperation (and frankly not even then, for a first) to save a job, not to bolster a roster like GB.

. . . NO GM IN ANY SPORT OF ANY LEAGUE ON EARTH would offer a first round draft pick for a player very near the end of his career.

Your time would be better spent going out and buying a lottery ticket because your odds of hitting the lottery are greater than any GM in the NFL giving us a first round pick for FJ, and thats NO exaggeration and the odds of that happening are exactly zero.

Madden has warped the minds of so many on this board...

I realize that you have already backed away from at least part of the above post, but just to add a little perspective (admittedly from a different era, but involving a late career trade of a Bills RB for draft picks):

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/10/19/gameday-the-risk-of-carson-palmer/

OAKLAND (CBS 5) – March 24, 1978. The San Francisco 49ers supposedly mortgaged their future by trading five draft picks to the Buffalo Bills for OJ Simpson. The picks were a first, two seconds, a third, and a fourth round pick. The 49ers didn’t know that Simpson had a knee injury and arthritis before making the trade. He rarely practiced and his infamous reverse-field direction ability could be seen only in NFL films.

I went to OJ’s final game at Candlestick Park in 1979.

OJ played only two years after the trade. Madden existed, but only as a person, not a video game yet. It was closer to (and maybe even a little before) the "Centipede" and "Missile Command" era.

1326560096[/url]' post='2363030']

Totally disagree. When you have a roster with a lot of hands out to get paid you need to keep adding cheap talented youth, not older guys looking for new deals. Cycling talent well is how you build long term. Trading firsts for 31 year old running backs is done in desperation (and frankly not even then, for a first) to save a job, not to bolster a roster like GB.

I somewhat agree. I think the window to win super bowls is only so big. When you can put yourself in better position to win a title or 2 or 3 you pull the trigger. The addition of Fred to the packers would accomplish just that. Adding a very good player at a position of importance, especially with his pass blocking and receiving skill in that offense. The pats have been doing what you strategized for the past several years. What do they have to show for it? A good record. Whoopty doo. Winning as many super bowls as you can when you have the talent to do so....that would be my objective. I would mortgage part of the future to Allow the current team a better chance at winning 3-4 sbs. Just like the cowboys did in the 90s. Throw the kitchen sink into the mix if you have a chance to become a legendary team, like the packers have a chance at. Not winning one SB then remaining a pretty good team for a decade. Just my opinion.

Who needs a solid running back in the league?

Hear me out. FJ is 31 coming off an injury, yes great back no doubt but if we could get a 1st rounder for him, would you trade him? If we could lock up the two stud LB's from Bama, isn't it fair to say that CJ and Choice would manage 1200/14 yeard next season?

Seems if this scenario played out, the Bills would benefit?

Thoughts?

Tim-

In a NY minute if you could find someone dumb enough to offer one. I'd also trade Arthur Moats for a 1st rounder. The odds of either getting a 1st round offer are the same -- None.

I somewhat agree. I think the window to win super bowls is only so big. When you can put yourself in better position to win a title or 2 or 3 you pull the trigger. The addition of Fred to the packers would accomplish just that. Adding a very good player at a position of importance, especially with his pass blocking and receiving skill in that offense. The pats have been doing what you strategized for the past several years. What do they have to show for it? A good record. Whoopty doo. Winning as many super bowls as you can when you have the talent to do so....that would be my objective. I would mortgage part of the future to Allow the current team a better chance at winning 3-4 sbs. Just like the cowboys did in the 90s. Throw the kitchen sink into the mix if you have a chance to become a legendary team, like the packers have a chance at. Not winning one SB then remaining a pretty good team for a decade. Just my opinion.

Fair enough. I think where we diverge is - trading those picks for Freddy promises nothing. You don't know what he will do next year, he will want a new deal (worth more than what you give to a late first) so you'll be letting someone walk, and when I have a team that has a shot for a decade- I'm not trading a premium pick like that unless it's for a young talent to build around. That first can buy a team a darn near equal talent short term but young enough to contribute long term. Also, at that level of competition - filling one hole promises nothingfaith regards to a ring.

If I'm spending a first on a back I'd rather get a back like mark Ingram who came off at roughly that spot and has potential to play for a long time and be a franchise cornerstone, instead if a quick fix that's out the door in a year, or getting a big paycheck in his mid 30s.

Edited by NoSaint

Hear me out. FJ is 31 coming off an injury, yes great back no doubt but if we could get a 1st rounder for him, would you trade him? If we could lock up the two stud LB's from Bama, isn't it fair to say that CJ and Choice would manage 1200/14 yeard next season?

Thoughts?

Tim-

Trade em

Well, yeah, but I look at that stupid Carson Palmer trade and I was thinking, well, why not? What team wouldn't want FJ? Which team is looking at drafting a RB in the first round this year?

Tim-

Quarterback...versus a running back..

A good tough question. and we have as much range in responses as a rep/dem debate.

As a business man you have to take a look hard at the offer for fred. Heck it might be more lucrative for Fred to sign off to another team. I would be mighty surprised for that 1st round offer though. But as coach Eric, i want him (Freddy )here for alot of reasons and most of them are logical but the rest are strongly sentimental. Trading something that is very very good for something that Might be better is called greed. The broken leg was not caused by wear and tear so if he recovers fully and he will, injuries are not an issue yet. the question really should be; can Chan make best use of our one/ two stud RB problem? lucky us!

A good tough question. and we have as much range in responses as a rep/dem debate.

As a business man you have to take a look hard at the offer for fred. Heck it might be more lucrative for Fred to sign off to another team. I would be mighty surprised for that 1st round offer though. But as coach Eric, i want him (Freddy )here for alot of reasons and most of them are logical but the rest are strongly sentimental. Trading something that is very very good for something that Might be better is called greed. The broken leg was not caused by wear and tear so if he recovers fully and he will, injuries are not an issue yet. the question really should be; can Chan make best use of our one/ two stud RB problem? lucky us!

Something that could be good for a year or two and puts us in a tough spot with a contract for something that could be good for a decade and is same dollars or cheaper. We also don't know what Freddy will be. Him being beast like long term is unlikely, and even questionable short term..

Thoughts?

Tim-

Without question it would be a done deal.

• 4 weeks later...

LOL. We would be lucky to get a 4th rounder for him. I love FJAX's attitude and toughness, but he's had one great season - and he couldn't even stay healthy for ten games. He's a 31 year old running back coming off a broken leg. I'd trade him right now if I could get a 2nd rounder for him, maybe even a 3rd.

Taking Fred behind the fieldhouse and putting him out of his misery may be the best alternative.

Not advocating a trade at all. But you get offered a 1st for Freddy you jump at it. Get the extra 1st take your extra 4th and try and fade back into the 2nd or 3rd and grab another back if you feel so Inclined. We could shore up any combination of positions that are sub par with 2 firsts.

Disclaimer? I would nOt shop Fred, but if the phone rang and we get a 1st you jump at it

Also what if u can package those 2 firsts for rg3. Does it then become worth it?

Then is becomes would ou trade fred and our 1st for a franchise qb.

Funny, when I saw the title of this thread, 2 things happened.

1) Instantly I said to myself "OhMyGod Yes as soon as humanly possible omg omg omg yes!"

2) I thought lemme be the first to reply cause I cant contain my excitement.

And here I am on page 6 of the replies. I guess at least a couple of you had a similar reaction. My pulse is still a little higher than normal.

Why are people still replying to this ridiculous thread? FJ would not equal a first rounder. Even a guy like MJD, Forte, or Chris Johnson would barely warrant one. FJ is a high third rounder at best, especially coming off an injury. This is as stupid as the clamoring for Mario Williams (who will re-sign with Houston or go to a winning team with cap room, like Atlanta or Cincy).

c'mon guys be serious, what did Nix get for Lynch? Who had 1200+ yards rushing and 12 TD's last season for the Seahawks

This org is so used to getting flim-flammed outta good talent, i'd be surprised if they got a 5th rounder.

Anyway, I'm thinking the Bills keep him because he comes cheap

Geniuses....you wouldnt trade 31 yo fred for a first but you wanted evans traded for a fourth because he was "old" I never saw evans slowing down, but i did noticed fred was never fast to start with.

just an opinion but i dont think fred is THAT good. he is good but not "all pro" i know he got alot of yards but we were running an offense that looks like a pass the whole way and allows for big plays by the rb. If fred is "all pro" and so awesome, why did it take until he was 30 to see he was even better than a so-so lynch?

And i like how popular it is to reply to a "what if we traded our best ______ " post. Every year some genius takes our best player and post "what ifs" and everyone responds. Dumb. If it happens it happens but...its not gonna happen. i only responded to point out the age part and how evans was the same age and how people posted that crap for 4 years.

Not getting worked up about it, in fact we are sitting here laughing about this thread. The bottom line is that you dont stop drafting first round picks because you think the FO will screw it up. Thats like folding pocket aces pre flop in texas hold em just because the previous few times you had them the aces got cracked and you lost huge pots.

You dont turn down a first round pick for an old player at a position you have a young stud waiting to take over because you are worried the team will screw the draft pick up.

No but if you look at the probabilities and historical hit rate on first round picks, the Majority of our first round picks in the last decade have become average players at best. Some are out of football.

If you were a team that was on the cusp and weak at RB (like New England or Pitt) and don't have over a 50% hit rate for major contributors in your first round picks, I could see making a trade for a stud RB that can give you two solid years of being a top 5 back, running, pass protecting and being a locker room leader. New England has ignored the running back position and plugged in journeymen and underachievers for a long time. Picture them with FJ in the backfield taking some heat off of the passing game and beating up linebackers with 20 touches a game.

OK picturing Fred as a Patsy is making me sick..... im out

No team would give us a #1 draft pick for him but to be honest I wouldn't trade him anyways. Our track record for selecting guys in the first round hasn't been to good. I know Nix and Gailey haven't been around long enough to speculate on their drafts but if you look at the entire league, maybe half the teams hit on a first round pick and the others are busts or average players. Now if I could get a first rounder for Spiller I would do it in a second. Spiller is a utility back, not an every down back. I would take a chance on a first rounder to fill a need and get rid of a back up and a guy who is to small to carry the rock 25 times a game.

Doesn't matter if it's Marshall Faulk, if you can get a first rounder for a RB over 30, you seal the deal, sign the papers and hope the other party doesn't think twice about it.

I love Freddie Jackson. But he is not worth a first rounder right now, and never will be in the future, so if that kind of value is coming back, you have to take it.

Edit: all said with the obvious caveat that you would have to be dealing with a GM markedly dumber than Matt Millen in order to pull this off.

Nobody would give up a 1st round pick for any RB now, the NFL is a passing league the days of Thurman Thomas, Emmitt Smith & Barry Sanders are over

as far Fred Jackson you might be lucky to get a late 4th for him, I'd take that deal, CJ Spiller proved he can be the guy

fred jackson is a stud.

fred jackson is the best offensive player on this team by far.

in fact, he is the only offensive player who plays at a pro bowl level.

i never understand why folks would trade a proven sure thing talent for a roll of the dice crap shoot on an unproven rookie.

so, NO !!! i would not trade fred, even for a #1 .....which nobody would offer in the first place.

No one would ever do this, but hell yeah in a second and I love FJ. For some reason, I always thought he would be the perfect rb for the Pats. That team would be impossible to stop with him in the backfield.

A better question might be would you trade FJ to the PAts for a #2 (they are loaded with draft picks)?

fred jackson is a stud.

fred jackson is the best offensive player on this team by far.

in fact, he is the only offensive player who plays at a pro bowl level.

i never understand why folks would trade a proven sure thing talent for a roll of the dice crap shoot on an unproven rookie.

so, NO !!! i would not trade fred, even for a #1 .....which nobody would offer in the first place.

If Fred was 24, you say no. But, since Fred is 31, the answer is HELL YES!

Most of us here aren't sayign to trade jackson. Most of us here know he wouldn't fetch anything near a 1st rounder. However, given the hypothetical that some team offers a #1 for freddie to try to get them over the top, the answer is yes.

A more interesting hypothetical is, would you trade FJ for one of the pats* 1sts.