Donte Speaks to the press about future

Don't forget McCargo and Poz.

Don't put McCargo and Poz in the same breath of being shipped off. Not even close to the same caliber of player. Poz needs some help in front of him and will look better this season. No he's not Patrick Willis but did anyone expect him to be?

that would be The Associated Press. :flirt:

jw

Man, the AP has really gone down hill lately..let just about any internet hack write reports for them now :nana::beer:

Nice work here, great quotes from Donte..thank you for the piece

Thinking back to every game he's ever played, I struggle to remember when Donte made a game changing play. I remember him returning an INT for a TD against Tampa Bay, but the Bills already had a comfortable lead. I can't remember ONE Polamalu, or Ed Reed type of play, in which Whitner has made. He wants to be paid like a game changing top 5 safety, yet he's never made a single one of those plays. 5 interceptions, 5 forced fumbles, and 1.5 sacks in 5 seasons. That's 1 interception, 1 forced fumble, and .3 sacks PER SEASON! Those numbers tell you all you need to know about his production, or lack thereof.

Edited by JayBaller10

Thinking back to every game he's ever played, I struggle to remember when Donte made a game changing play. I remember him returning an INT for a TD against Tampa Bay, but the Bills already had a comfortable lead. I can't remember ONE Polamalu, or Ed Reed type of play, in which Whitner has made. He wants to be paid like a game changing top 5 safety, yet he's never made a single one of those plays.

Slightly in his defense, the Bills were leading by all of 7-0 when Donte made that pick-6, and the Bucs were driving. That could certainly count as a game-changing play.

That's about it, though.

Thinking back to every game he's ever played, I struggle to remember when Donte made a game changing play. I remember him returning an INT for a TD against Tampa Bay, but the Bills already had a comfortable lead. I can't remember ONE Polamalu, or Ed Reed type of play, in which Whitner has made. He wants to be paid like a game changing top 5 safety, yet he's never made a single one of those plays.

He's not that player but few are which is why those guys are so special. Everyone acts like if you pick a player high he will be that player but Polamula is so rare, it just isn't likely.

Whitner is solid, not spectacular and a very versatile player.If he comes back I'll be happy to have him but if he walks I think George is fine player but not the talent Dante is and could be.

That was actually a nice article and Donte actually sounded sincere. His replies were reasonable and he is sounding a bit more mature than in the past. I hope he does come back and have the battle of his life to retain his starting job.

He's not that player but few are which is why those guys are so special. Everyone acts like if you pick a player high he will be that player but Polamula is so rare, it just isn't likely.

Whitner is solid, not spectacular and a very versatile player.If he comes back I'll be happy to have him but if he walks I think George is fine player but not the talent Dante is and could be.

Another play is his hit on Ocho Cinco to send him packing. The Bengals were driving and if he makes the prior play, the bengals get a TD.

Solid is not sufficient out of a #8 pick. He is a good player, but not a PLAYMAKER. We need Playmakers from the #8 spot especially when you chose to skip the likes of Ngata.

Another play is his hit on Ocho Cinco to send him packing. The Bengals were driving and if he makes the prior play, the bengals get a TD.

Solid is not sufficient out of a #8 pick. He is a good player, but not a PLAYMAKER. We need Playmakers from the #8 spot especially when you chose to skip the likes of Ngata.

It's too late to worry about what pick he was. Thats gone. Now you have to think is our team better with him or without him.

I for one think that we would be better with him than without him. With that being said I took the liberty of pulling up some of his twitter messages. Let me say this, I would never want to be in the public spotlight after reading how people talk to and about you. It's shameful.

What I see is a guy who gave his heart to being a Buffalo Bill and tried to be a leader. Regardless if he isn't capable or mishandled it he at least tried. For the last several years, or even longer, there hasn't been too many players who wanted to be a Buffalo Bill. This guy did. For that I appreciate Whitner and wish him nothing but the best of luck in whatever his future holds for him.

Edited by Tipster19

All the jive about not being a cancer, being a leader, and the explanation for qiuckly cleaning out his locker all appear to be a calculated attempt at image damage control. Whether it's intended for Bills fans, Mr. Nix, or the team he hopes will hand him a bigger wad of money when (if) he becomes a free agent.....only Donte knows. It may be the best play he's made since becoming a Bill.

Thinking back to every game he's ever played, I struggle to remember when Donte made a game changing play. I remember him returning an INT for a TD against Tampa Bay, but the Bills already had a comfortable lead. I can't remember ONE Polamalu, or Ed Reed type of play, in which Whitner has made. He wants to be paid like a game changing top 5 safety, yet he's never made a single one of those plays. 5 interceptions, 5 forced fumbles, and 1.5 sacks in 5 seasons. That's 1 interception, 1 forced fumble, and .3 sacks PER SEASON! Those numbers tell you all you need to know about his production, or lack thereof.

Not true. In 2007, with the Bills leading 19-14 and the Ravens at midfield with about 2 minutes to go, Whitner made a great defensive play that forced a Boller overthrow on 4th and 1. It ended the game.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=271021002&period=4

I for one think that we would be better with him than without him. With that being said I took the liberty of pulling up some of his twitter messages. Let me say this, I would never want to be in the public spotlight after reading how people talk to and about you. It's shameful.

What I see is a guy who gave his heart to being a Buffalo Bill and tried to be a leader. Regardless if he isn't capable or mishandled it he at least tried. For the last several years, or even longer, there hasn't been too many players who wanted to be a Buffalo Bill. This guy did. For that I appreciate Whitner and wish him nothing but the best of luck in whatever his future holds for him.

Tipster, people are a-holes. They really are.

Thinking back to every game he's ever played, I struggle to remember when Donte made a game changing play. I remember him returning an INT for a TD against Tampa Bay, but the Bills already had a comfortable lead.

It's funny how we all know the play you're talking about--since it was his only big play.

If I recall, wasn't it just a bad throw or overthrow? It's not like he even made a great read and play on the ball...

Don't put McCargo and Poz in the same breath of being shipped off. Not even close to the same caliber of player. Poz needs some help in front of him and will look better this season. No he's not Patrick Willis but did anyone expect him to be?

Uh, Marv Levy did. After Poz was drafted, Levy said Poz was rankedhigher on the Bills board than Willis. :oops:

Not true. In 2007, with the Bills leading 19-14 and the Ravens at midfield with about 2 minutes to go, Whitner made a great defensive play that forced a Boller overthrow on 4th and 1. It ended the game.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=271021002&period=4

Looks to me that Aaron Schobel caused the rushed overthrow because he got pressure on Boller. You're giving full credit to Whitner on that 4th and 1, when it was Schobel who prevented Boller from going through his reads. In any rate, nice find from 2007. I'm sure Donte hasn't played football in the 3 years since. How else can one go 47 games (Tampa Bay) without making a game changing play?

Edited by JayBaller10

Uh, Marv Levy did. After Poz was drafted, Levy said Poz was rankedhigher on the Bills board than Willis. :oops:

Did he really say that? I thought The Bills were primed to take Willis if San Fran passed? I never heard that quote, but if it's true it make me want to...well... :sick:

I can understand getting on the guy for his BS tweets. He's an idiot when he arrives at his keyboard in the morning and deserves all of it. However, he's not a terrible safety, he's just NOT Troy Polamalu. We will be worse off if he leaves as it would create another hole in the defense that will amount to a draft pick we can't afford to waste (depending on your interpretation of "waste" as it may have already applied in this year's draft).

That being said, his contract offer was fair (to generous) for his production and it would be a good business move for Nix to stand his ground. Nix needs to show that big production equals big contracts, and the soft ways of the Jauron years are no more. I think Nix will hold him accountable with the contract he offered and set the tone for the players he brought on. I sincerely hope Donte takes it and is with the team when they report.

Edited by TheBows

If Dante did his talking on the field he wouldn't have to do it in the offseason. If he does not want to sign what was offered, then by default he does not want to be here. In the world of politics you can be very successful by saying one thing while doing the opposite, but Dante does not seem to understand that sports fans actually have standards. You cannot talk your way around a lack of results forever.

That was actually a nice article and Donte actually sounded sincere. His replies were reasonable and he is sounding a bit more mature than in the past. I hope he does come back and have the battle of his life to retain his starting job.

Didn't we just draft his replacement?

If we re-sign Whitner and he loses "the battle of his life to retain his starting job", was it a good idea to pay him?

Nice article, John. Any insider info into the Modrak firing that you've been able to uncover?

i really don't see anything nefarious about it. Nix has had more influence on scouting and the draft, and relying on his own people. and then there's Gailey providing his own input as well, leaving Tom essentially the odd-man out.

i like Tom. good guy. i maintain a lot of the first-round picks should be placed on other people. that said, his record does stand as being inconsistent. but that record shouldn't overlook some of the later-round picks that did pan out: Jason Peters comes to mind.

and as colleague Mark Gaughan noted in his piece, if everyone wants to credit Buddy Nix for turning this thing around, then credit also must go to Modrak, who likely had plenty of influence in getting him hired as GM.

jw

I wonder what his numbers would look like if the actually generated some pressure on the QB or the front 7 was able to stop the run....

His tackles would go down as he wouldn't be making hits 10 yards down the field. His plays burnt by tight ends would go down as well.

i really don't see anything nefarious about it. Nix has had more influence on scouting and the draft, and relying on his own people. and then there's Gailey providing his own input as well, leaving Tom essentially the odd-man out.

i like Tom. good guy. i maintain a lot of the first-round picks should be placed on other people. that said, his record does stand as being inconsistent. but that record shouldn't overlook some of the later-round picks that did pan out: Jason Peters comes to mind.

and as colleague Mark Gaughan noted in his piece, if everyone wants to credit Buddy Nix for turning this thing around, then credit also must go to Modrak, who likely had plenty of influence in getting him hired as GM.

jw

Wasn't Peters signed as a free agent?

jw

If Modrak even had one hand in on who the Bills have drafted over the last ten years, he should have been fired a loong time ago. He SHOULD be hitting on some of the late rounders once in a while. What he should not be doing is WHIFFING on decisions in round 1. I could have and did make better picks from my couch.....he was pathetic.

Wasn't Peters signed as a free agent?

yes. as an undrafted free agent. the scouting department handles that.

jw

If Modrak even had one hand in on who the Bills have drafted over the last ten years, he should have been fired a loong time ago. He SHOULD be hitting on some of the late rounders once in a while. What he should not be doing is WHIFFING on decisions in round 1. I could have and did make better picks from my couch.....he was pathetic.

so as not to repeat myself, i refer you to my points made in another thread:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/130072-rank-the-modrak-first-round-picks/page__view__findpost__p__2160432

jw

If Dante did his talking on the field he wouldn't have to do it in the offseason. If he does not want to sign what was offered, then by default he does not want to be here. In the world of politics you can be very successful by saying one thing while doing the opposite, but Dante does not seem to understand that sports fans actually have standards. You cannot talk your way around a lack of results forever.

That's not true. You might want to stay at your job because you love your colleagues and respect your bosses. But if a company down the street pays you significantly more you would probably be inclined to take that offer. Even if, in your heart, you would have rather stayed where you were.

"I believe when I get back to Buffalo and help turn this thing around, everything will be forgotten."

Earth to Twhitner, Earth to Twhitner... you are one of the main reasons we need turning around!!! It's not that you a big reason why future HOFer H. Ngata isnt on the team (thats not really your fault, its Levy/Jauron's, so I wont hold that against you) but its because you have been the hot spot for opposing QBs touchdown passes. You can't prevent touchdowns, generate turnovers, or make impact plays. You are worse than two (maybe even 3 now withe Searcy)of your backups. You are the Kelsay of the back 7. Please leave, our team gets better in your absence.