Maybin Update

The Dean

It is not lack of faith but an overabundance of creepiness which concerns me. From where exactly, I am afraid to ask, do these tingles originate?

I am thinking of buying some UPS stock, do a bro a solid and take a look at that and let me know if you get a tingle.

...I'd rather not talk about my tingling in public. But you can read all about it in my latest book "BGIOP's Tingles: A Tale Of The New Generation, Volume 1". Check for it on Amazon and Borders. Macaulay Culkin writes the foreword.

And as for the UPS stock...I'm only getting half a tingle, so either don't fully commit or invest in FedEx to cover all of your bases.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I wouldn't completely put it past the Bills to low-ball the offer (that is, take the extreme low end of the possible slotted range) in this instance.

Remember, it was Maybin's camp that said they wouldn't wait for Crabtree. But if the Bills are stuck on $24/$14 guaranteed (which is the extreme low end on the slotted salary structure for that spot) the Maybin camp figures it has to wait for Crabtree.

Now, I'm not suggesting that is true, either. I'm simply saying we don't really know the facts here, and I wouldn't put it past the Bills to try to get out of this as cheaply as possible.

From my point of view, if I'm Maybin (or any highly prized athlete) and my agent can't get this done in this time frame (but manages to get a deal done for Michaek Vick in the meantime), I switch agents. I go to a well known, first class alternative agent, and tell him, "get this done by the end of the week". But that's easy for me to say.

The problem with that scenario, Dean, is that it guarantees him another week without reporting, as a player (according to NFLPA rules) cannot sign with another agent for 5 calendar days after firing an existing agent. So if Maybin fired Segal today, tomorrow would be day 1 of agent-less-ness. That puts him with a new agent no earlier than Aug. 24th. Realistically, the new agent could get a deal done by the 25th, and Maybin would be with the team on the 26th, which makes it another full week. Not likely he'd play in pre-season game #4 at that point, so now he's got one garbage game under his belt before the season opener at NE on MNF...not a good scenario at all IMO.

The problem with that scenario, Dean, is that it guarantees him another week without reporting, as a player (according to NFLPA rules) cannot sign with another agent for 5 calendar days after firing an existing agent. So if Maybin fired Segal today, tomorrow would be day 1 of agent-less-ness. That puts him with a new agent no earlier than Aug. 24th. Realistically, the new agent could get a deal done by the 25th, and Maybin would be with the team on the 26th, which makes it another full week. Not likely he'd play in pre-season game #4 at that point, so now he's got one garbage game under his belt before the season opener at NE on MNF...not a good scenario at all IMO.

Good info. That happened with CIN and #6 pick Smith. Moot now, of course.

I think it is partially Eugene Parker f'ing with us again. He is Mrs. Crabtree's agent and I have to believe he is getting a kick out of the fact that he has some power over the front office that said F'off to him and his fat ass client Jason last year.

Yeah right. He's probably mad the Buffalo traded him to Philly and JP got a 60 million dollar contract. Which he probably cleared 10-15 percent. He's probably fuming.

I doubt any team really cares about Maybin not being signed at this point. I'm sure they have their own issues. You make it sound like this is the 1st holdout in league history.

I wasn't implying that the rest of the league is sitting around watching this thing unfold, but admit it: in your line of work, don't you laugh at the competition when they can't do something that 90% of the enterprises in your business have little-to-no problems doing?

I also didn't mean to imply that it was the first holdout in league history. Usually, holdouts that last this long are with guys like Philip Rivers (whom the Giants selected at No. 4 but San Diego had to pay like the No. 1 overall pick). It is very uncommon, to say the least, for a guy that practically nobody believed would be selected in the top 15 picks (not to criticize the pick itself on a player-value basis, nobody knows enough to do that right now) to hold out on the simple premise that "the dude in front of me didn't sign yet".

I wasn't implying that the rest of the league is sitting around watching this thing unfold, but admit it: in your line of work, don't you laugh at the competition when they can't do something that 90% of the enterprises in your business have little-to-no problems doing?

I also didn't mean to imply that it was the first holdout in league history. Usually, holdouts that last this long are with guys like Philip Rivers (whom the Giants selected at No. 4 but San Diego had to pay like the No. 1 overall pick). It is very uncommon, to say the least, for a guy that practically nobody believed would be selected in the top 15 picks (not to criticize the pick itself on a player-value basis, nobody knows enough to do that right now) to hold out on the simple premise that "the dude in front of me didn't sign yet".

Trust me, the other teams in the league are very interested in what happens with these negotiations -- and even more so with the Crabtree negotiaions. If either team caves and pays the player more than their slotted value, it could have a rippling effect. If the 49ers cave -- but the Bills remain steadfast and insist that Crabtree's situation bears no relevance to Maybin's situation (which is probably what they are telling Maybin's camp NOW), then Ralph will be lauded as a hero around the league. Al Davis is the one who really messed all this up by reaching for -- and then overpaying Heyward-Bey. Still, Crabtree needs to understand that he was drafted 10th for a reason -- and part of it may have to do with the reputation of his agent. If they can just split the difference between the 9th pick and the 12th pick, Maybin still comes out ahead as his value will be closer to the higher drafted position than the lower drafted position (from a slotting standpoint).

I have to agree with those who say let him wait all he wants. I don't see a Superbowl team this year and if we overpay then we are stuck with dead money for a borderline player. Not a good pick to begin with. Someone please clean this house...

Situations like this make up the foundation of what will eventually be me saying FU to the NFL. On its own no, but certainly makes you resent the players, agents and the process. It all just leaves a negative taste.

Hypothetically, what do you guys think we could trade the rights for Maybin for? If its a second rounder to a bad team Id say take it. Call me crazy, but I never liked the pick, I dont like it now, I predict he will bust, and Ralph can save some coin. I would have no problem with Maybin never playing a down in a Bills uni.

What continually frustrates me is the most important thing that any pay should be based on is performance. Shouldn't be based on what others have got because there is no history to base it on Especially when you are talking these kinda bucks. What other business can afford to pay these kind of wages blindly? A league that charged $200 a year to watch on tv that what kind. Fuggin guys should get league minimum for a year until they prove what they can do. Ridiculous. Their lucky they have the privilege of having the opportunity to play in a elite professional league.

I am frustrated by the process too...

The NBA has it right .....they have a rookie scale

The NFLPA understands that your average NFL career is short, and there is so much money to be made it ridiculous. So its understandable that the agents are trying to get the players all the money they can get.

But at the same time if you are being just plain greedy it makes the player look real bad . And if Maybin really whats to play and help the team out whats the difference between say 20 mill and 24 mill. Your still mega rich for Gods sake.

Its time they change the way they pay these guys as rookies

Yeah, because negotiating publicly always works. Why get a deal done behind closed doors when you can drag the fans and the press into it all so that everyone will either hate the front office or hate Maybin? Why not blast Maybin publicly thereby making damn sure he leaves the team for a friendlier, classier operation when that first contract expires? There is a reason teams do not do this, ever. Either the people who actually do this for a living know better or some reactionary, anonymous moron who calls himself a crayon eater knows better. Hmmm...which side to choose?

I have commented that I "love" the idea, which might be a bit of an exageration. Maybe I just like it. Regardless, I feel that we are at a very tough spot in this contract dispute and see no end in sight. It seems that both sides are at a stand still and are not talking. That doesnt look good. Maybe Im just thinking I want to publicly announce the deal so that it shows that Maybin is the one who is being greedy(im completely assuming and base my assumption on past experiences that have shown that the Bills have had no issues getting their 1st rounders in on time or close to it) and would hear confirmation from around the league that he is expecting too much. Or maybe it would show that the Bills are being cheap. I was one of the people that thought Maybin was a good pick and I still do. But this is getting a little rediculous. Even if Crabtree signs for Hayward-Bey money that technically shouldnt affect Maybin at all. Oh sure Maybin might think it should, but then the Bills can just say that they will slot him based on the Raji and Moreno contracts and toss Crabtrees right out the window because it does not fit with the slotting system. At that point were right back where we are now. Maybin waiting for more money to be offered and the Bills not offering it.

About 4 million dollars.

But I'm sure you'd gladly give up 4 million dollars to make some strangers happy.

$4 million is a ton of money. But for what this guy is going to make in his life it doesnt amount to that much. Assuming he is in the league past this contract. But you still have $20million that you never had before. I look at in 2 different ways. If someone was telling you they were gonna give you $20million would you tell them no way you want another 4 or dont bother? Or, to be more scale with my pay. If I had $20.00 in my pocket am I really that pissed about spending $4.00 on a burger at McDonalds? Im just an idiot that compares apples to oranges here but it makes sense to me.

Situations like this make up the foundation of what will eventually be me saying FU to the NFL. On its own no, but certainly makes you resent the players, agents and the process. It all just leaves a negative taste.

Wait until the league has a player strike/lockout after the 2011 season when De Smith and the owners can't agree on a new CBA. Ultimately it's the fan who's left out in the cold who pays the PSL's, higher ticket prices. The league just assumes it'll never end, but situations like Crabtree make it hard for the blue collar fan to identify.

It's a free country at the end of the day (well, as of this writing) and Maybin is allowed to get all he can. But he's playing a dangerous game and not endearing himself to the fans. That leaves a lot of work to do when he eventually signs.

Other than Maybin, the only two remaining players are Andre Smith and Crabtree. At this point, Maybin should have all the data points necessary to sign considering Raji was at 9 (5y/28.5mm) and Orakpo at 13 (5y/20mm) are comparable positions. His contract should come in at 5y/24.5mm. The fact that he is waiting for Crabtree is rediculous. Crabtree has all-star agent Eugene Parker who ruins players reputations as he lacks capable negotiating skills.

Correct. The numbers don't lie. This hold out is stupid on many levels. First and foremost, is the fact that the player himself is not vital to the Bills' success this season. Secondly, Ralph Wilson and the Circle Jerks are not swayed by greedy moronic agents. Thirdly, even if Crabtree gets "number 5-pick money", what universe does Joel Segal live in thinking that Ralph and the Jerks would offer "number-6 pick money" to their number 11 pick Aaron Maybin?? And as far as that Crabtree insanity, if I were the 49ers, I would let him sit out the entire season and let him go back into the draft next year before I paid him a penny more then where he is slotted as the number 10 choice.

If Segal and Maybin plan on earning any money this season from the Buffalo Bills, they will have to finally realize that it will be the perfectly slotted 5 years for 25 Million, with about 15 Million guaranteed. They can sign for it today, or they can wait around another 4 weeks if they like, but that will be the contract amount, no matter what they are thinking.

In a negotiation, each side "gives up" something. In this case Maybin would be "giving up" 4 million to GET 20 million.

You must realize that he's not giving up anything because he has nothing.

Everyone will be cheering Maybin lustily as soon as he lays hands on an opposing QB.

$4 million is a ton of money. But for what this guy is going to make in his life it doesnt amount to that much. Assuming he is in the league past this contract. But you still have $20million that you never had before. I look at in 2 different ways. If someone was telling you they were gonna give you $20million would you tell them no way you want another 4 or dont bother? Or, to be more scale with my pay. If I had $20.00 in my pocket am I really that pissed about spending $4.00 on a burger at McDonalds? Im just an idiot that compares apples to oranges here but it makes sense to me.

The fact that you're comparing $4 to $4 million is ridiculous. Ri-dic-u-lous.

I am frustrated by the process too...

The NBA has it right .....they have a rookie scale

The NFLPA understands that your average NFL career is short, and there is so much money to be made it ridiculous. So its understandable that the agents are trying to get the players all the money they can get.

But at the same time if you are being just plain greedy it makes the player look real bad . And if Maybin really whats to play and help the team out whats the difference between say 20 mill and 24 mill. Your still mega rich for Gods sake.

Its time they change the way they pay these guys as rookies

I'm not familiar with the NBA system but if they have limits that has to be a good thing. Another major issue is the ripple effect that these contracts have to cause. If I'm a quality 3rd or 4th year guy(with a contract about to expire) and I see what money unproven noobs are worth, what am I worth?? Tosses the entire scale out of whack. I have no history to back this up but it has to happen that way no?

The other thing is what is a guy like Crabtree doing to his career? Listening to the NFL guys on Sirius this morning and they were saying both Singletary and the OC at SF are not exactly fond of or have patience for rookies. Holding out for big bucks, being a rookie and making way more than the coaching staff could ever dream of making can't be a great recipe for a cordial , learning relationship.

I look at it as 4 million dollars is 4 million dollars, regardless of how much money you're making.

Maybe it's a couple vacation homes you'll enjoy for the rest of your life.

Maybe it's seed money for a charitable foundation you want to start.

Maybe it's a get out of jail free card,

Whatever it is, it's still 4 million dollars and no exterior factors can change that.

I'm also somewhat annoyed by this unnecessary delay and I agree that both sides look like incompetent asshats because of it. But a deal will get done eventually so there's little point in getting so worked up about it (not referring to you).

I just think the idea of p-shawing 4 million dollars is crazy talk.

I agree w/ Bandit 110%.

It is downright embarrassing. And the league is laughing! I don't think you got the point, he wasn't implying that the NFL is overly concerned with the Bills, he was implying that no one takes the Bills seriously. NO ONE! And it is this kind of stuff that makes us look so dysfunctional.

Yeah, Ralph was voted into the HOF this year because no one takes the Bills seriously. And all the owners rejected the CBA this year (which Ralph was against when it was put into place) is also a terrible indication of how little respect the rest of the league has for the Bills.

Why don't you move to Detroit / Oakland / San Francisco and root for a real loser.

I look at it as 4 million dollars is 4 million dollars, regardless of how much money you're making.

Whatever it is, it's still 4 million dollars and no exterior factors can change that.

I'm also somewhat annoyed by this unnecessary delay and I agree that both sides look like incompetent asshats because of it. But a deal will get done eventually so there's little point in getting so worked up about it (not referring to you).

So if Maybin asked for 50 million and they offered him half that, you would agree with the logic of this Maybin response: "damn, you want me to give Ralph Wilson 25 million dollars?"?

Again, Maybin has nothing, so he can concede nothing.

was Maybin even considered a top 15 pick by scouts (other than Bills scouts) or any draft-niks?...I can't remember if everyone thought Buffalo was reaching for this guy or not....ok so if , lets say, Maybin wasn't slotted as a top 15 pick and Crabtree gets his slotted top 5 money...since Maybin is holding out and waiting on Crabtree, couldn't Buffalo say "ok..we picked you at #11 but you were slotted for #20...so since you want a deal like Crabtree, then we will pay you #20 money,cuz that was your slotted mock draft #)..?...I could be wrong, but it seems, if they are waiting on Crabtree and how he gets paid, then Buffalo should be able to deploy the same tactics against Maybin...this and other reasons say to me that if I'm Maybin, I better sign soon.

So if Maybin asked for 50 million and they offered him half that, you would agree with the logic of this Maybin response: "damn, you want me to give Ralph Wilson 25 million dollars?"?

Again, Maybin has nothing, so he can concede nothing.

Thats kinda how I look at it WEO. Its a bit of a reach I guess but so is expecting over $30 million just cause Crabtree might get it when everyone else around is only getting $20-$25 million.

I also think it's ironic that the three drafted highest holdouts have issues associateed with each:

1. Andre Smith--weight and possible discipline/attitude issues; suspended for bowl game for undisclosed issues; stock dropped drastically for walking out of the combine

2. Michael Crabtree--didn't run the 40 due to injured foot; questions about being a system player; and more injuries

3. Aaron Maybin--concerns whether 1 year wonder; tweener, not sure if can maintain a DE's weight when he's at that threshold now

Makes you wonder if they wanna cash out early just in case they don't they don't end up performing and warranting a follow on top tier contract.

That's what I'm thinking too. Get it all now while you can

This "holdout" goes to the very heart of who Maybin is, and I don't like it one bit. How many years, season after season, do we hear of draftees holding out like this, only to have it retard their growth and/or the ability to be a difference maker? He HAS the ability to tell his agent, "Look, I need to be there, get this deal done", and yet he hasn't done anything!

He's lucky this is August 19th, because if he isn't signed by September 7th at the latest, he's going to be vilified horribly in the WNY press and by Bills fans everywhere, and rightfully so. GET THE DEAL DONE!!!!!!!! WTF?!?!

I agree w/ Bandit 110%.

It is downright embarrassing. And the league is laughing! I don't think you got the point, he wasn't implying that the NFL is overly concerned with the Bills, he was implying that no one takes the Bills seriously. NO ONE! And it is this kind of stuff that makes us look so dysfunctional.

I ranted about this last night. I think Maybin is to blame as a product of a rookie culture of entitlement that everyone who watches, promotes or participates in the NFL or College Football has created. Yes, indirectly that means you and me. Lets stop thinking Maybin is the exception to the rule. I'm not sure what the numbers are, but unless Maybin is asking for Tyson Jackson money, I don't think the man is crazy, I just think he is the product of a system that promotes this kind of behavior.

As for the Bills, it is unacceptable that a team that so desperately depends on "rookie impact" is failing in getting their number 1 pick to camp. If he is the selfish jerk that all of these posters claim him to be, well they should have known it before that drafted him because believe it or not NFL TEAMS TALK TO AGENTS BEFORE DRAFT DAY! It is not like Maybin's agent pulled a fast one on the Bills and was like, oh by the way, you drafted us at 11, but we want top 5 money. Because GUESS WHAT!?!? Agents want their players in camp by the first week too. A hold out is not to the benefit of anyone. And for all of these posters who are claiming that this is some conspiracy by Maybin because he is injured, or drugged up, or lacks confidence in his abilities...well you are CRAZY. And for all of those posters who believe that the Bills all of a sudden realized Maybin isn't that good. You are CRAZY TOO! And even if that was the case, it just further proves out dysfunctional the Bills are by demonstrating out terrible their scouting is.

All in all, I don't think the sky is falling. My frustration is out of the fact that this is the same old Bills. Yes, I know that the Bills have never had trouble signing their 1st rounders in previous seasons, that is not what I'm implying. I'm implying that the people who run the Bills never seem like they are fully in control of their organization. As I said before, the bull is riding them, they are not riding the bull. I would like to see some signs of this organization heading in the right direction, but even the signing of TO cannot mask the re-hiring of Jauron, the overall lack of presence in the FA market over the past few years (aside from Owens), the dismantling of the O-Line without a real back up option that didn't involve putting 5 people in completely new starting positions, etc.. I feel like we plug up one hole and another one opens up.

Sorry for the rant.

A rookie draft pick is not signed and the league is laughing at us? Really?

So true. Another thought experiment is: Say you are in the market to buy an LCD TV costing $900 in your local store. You already are in the store, and just before you pay your friend calls and says that a store 30 miles away has the exact same TV for $200 less. Do you make the drive ? I certainly would to get the lower price.

Now subsitute a $25,000 car instead of the $900 TV in the above scenario. Do you make the drive ? Most people won't 'cos considering the price of the car, $200 is insignificant.

But the financial situation is exactly the same - a saving of $200 so you should do the drive in either situation (all other things being the same).

Hence, I agree with you Simon that $4 million means a lot no matter what the overall value of the deal.

Lets assume for a second that the 49ers decide to cave and pay Crabtree more than his slotted amount, something along the lines of Heyward-Bey's deal. Does anyone think, for even a second, the Ralph is going to pay Maybin more because of crabtree? Hell no. Ralph is going to tell Maybin to take the #11 money and like it. Maybin will get what the #11 pick is slotted for, something like 5-25-15, and not a penny more. The sooner he accepts this, the sooner we cal all move on.

Note: This is NOT a Ralph is cheap spiel. This is pointing out the fact that Ralph decides who gets paid how much, and when they get paid. You get paid what Ralph wants to pay you when ralph wants to pay you. He's not going to break the slotting system for some whiny sniveling B word of a rookie. It didnt work for Peters, and its not going to work for Maybin.

I'd agree completely. There's no way Ralph and the Bills pay Maybin more just because Crabtree got more. OF course, that doesn't stop his agent from trying. We all know it won't work - just ask Peters. But, I suppose they gotta try. It just sucks, because the guy has now missed all of training camp and half the preseason games. I'd guess it's a very short list of rookies that have missed this much off season time and had any sort of productive rookie year.

But, if this continues and Maybin is a useless acquisition, that will make the Bills look really bad. And yes, people will giggle.

Oh really? Why? Because some a-hole agent overplayed his hand? Because the Bills front office can't predict which rookies will pull this crap? I think you have it backwards. The NFL would laugh more if the Bills let punks like Maybin and his agent push them around.

But I'm curious...what, pray tell, would Union 2008 have done differently? I'd love to know how you would have avoided this holdout. And when you are done explaining that, you can start on health care reform and mid-east peace.

PTR

About 4 million dollars.

But I'm sure you'd gladly give up 4 million dollars to make some strangers happy.

I knew somebody would say this lol

But come on is 4 million worth a chance to start this season, another week and he barley plays against the Patroits, the team we drafted him for, to knock Brady on his ass.

This is one time I don't blame the Bills front office- Maybin you were picked 11th you get 11th money wtf is so hard about that, fire you agent and get in camp- leave it to Oakland to throw a wrench into things by taking a WR 7th overall who was rated a 2nd round pick- well played sir well played.

It appears that Maybin, his agent, and his advisors are among biggest friggin' idiots in the Western world.

Dude, you're making it sound like a hyperbole.

All I am saying is that the Bills look like they are clueless and not entirely able to execute their plan of action for the season.

If you want to argue that this in fact demonstrates that the Bills ARE in control and this was all part of the plan, that is fine. I just think you are wrong.

Some people are arguing that this shows the Bills will not be pushed around or that they know something we don't know. I think that is all horse sh--. The Bills need Maybin in camp and they haven't got him there. I will freely eat my words if word breaks that the Bills have tried hard for Maybin and even offered 15-20% over his slotted value. And if he signs tomorrow, all is forgiven.

But, if this continues and Maybin is a useless acquisition, that will make the Bills look really bad. And yes, people will giggle.

No, I am not defending either side or taking sides. Also not taking the argument the Bills are in control and being pricks about this. It's just that this happens often and to say the league is laughing at us is wrong. Do you think other GM's are making fun of the Bills because of this?

Yeah right. He's probably mad the Buffalo traded him to Philly and JP got a 60 million dollar contract. Which he probably cleared 10-15 percent. He's probably fuming.

I don't think he is mad. I think he gets a kick out of screwing with the Bills FO because they refused to hook him up last year. Kind of like someone who wins but still likes to rub your face in it anyway! That is just who I think Eugene Parker is though.

About 4 million dollars.

Obviously the salary range is 5 years, $13 to $18 million guaranteed (the balance is invisible ink anyway).

There is a "no lose" median here!

I have not read the entire thread but anywhere between $14.5 to $16M guaranteed seems very fair.

Sending Cousineau to the CFL ended up working very well for the Bills, BTW. :lol:

Also, if this guy is THAT good (11th pick), let him play in the last pre-season game as a free ranger like Biscuit was to see what he has. B-)