Maybin Update

The Dean

Yeah, I do. There are some really really strong statements from the undisclosed agent they talk to. It's pretty neat to hear what a fellow agent thinks of this whole mess.

Care to give a synopsis for those of us to cheap to register?

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if Maybin asked for 50 million and they offered him half that, you would agree with the logic of this Maybin response: "damn, you want me to give Ralph Wilson 25 million dollars?"?

Again, Maybin has nothing, so he can concede nothing.

This would be more ridiculous than him taking 4 million dollars less just to make you happy. But it doesn't mean that him taking 4 million dollars less is reasonable.

pick 13: Brian Orakpo, Washington, 5 years and $20 million, with $12 million guaranteed.

pick 12: Knowshon Moreno, Denver, 5 years for $23 million, with $13 million guaranteed.

would make:

pick 11: Aaron Maybin, Bills, 5 years for $26 million, with $14 million guaranteed.

I really fail to see why Crabtree going bananas justifies Maybin his holdout given the slotting.

So true. Another thought experiment is: Say you are in the market to buy an LCD TV costing $900 in your local store. You already are in the store, and just before you pay your friend calls and says that a store 30 miles away has the exact same TV for $200 less. Do you make the drive ? I certainly would to get the lower price.

Now subsitute a $25,000 car instead of the $900 TV in the above scenario. Do you make the drive ? Most people won't 'cos considering the price of the car, $200 is insignificant.

But the financial situation is exactly the same - a saving of $200 so you should do the drive in either situation (all other things being the same).

Hence, I agree with you Simon that $4 million means a lot no matter what the overall value of the deal.

I agree that $4 million is a lot of money. But you cant compare it overall to what we think. I can imagine that someone like TO has more than $4 million invested in his wardrobe alone, Bill Gates puts more than that into his backup helecopter for gas every year, and Adam Jones has prolly made that much rain while putting single mothers through college. Its different for everyone. I doubt Albert Haynesworth would have cancelled the deal with the Redskins if they were a few million short. So you cant compare. $4 million means alot more to someone making $10 as opposed to someone that makes $100.

Maybin doesnt have anything now and you shouldnt get greedy over an additional $4 million when your about to get handed $20. And we may not know thats the case either. Chances are he wants much more than that or they wouldnt be so far apart. If thats the case then its obvious he and his agent are not having respect for the slotting that is in place. As messed up as the system is for rookie contracts in the NFL is, it is somewhat structured. You "usually" make more than the guy behind you, but not as much as the guy in front of you was drafted. Its not a hard concept. Im pretty sure the Bills are aware of this concept as they have been doing it for years and seem to have no issues following the "rules" and getting their picks into camp on time.

Is it crazy to understand that the 3 guys left unsigned all had issues. One with an injury who clearly thinks hes better than where he was drafted, one that had judgement and drive issues (sounds like someone the Bills know well), and another that played only 1 season in college in a pretty good system and is still an unknown. Im sure its possible for the Bills to lowball him but doesnt seem likely. It sounds more to me that AM is thinking he is worth more money than he should be slotted. If that is the case I dont see the Bills FO going out of their way to change a system that (as messed up as it is) somewhat works.

I have already stated that I wanted Maybin from the beginning, but Im not about to give in to someone being greedy about a few million dollars when they are expected to bring in a $20 million+ payday with most likely $15 million guaranteed for a game they have wanted to play their entire life at the NFL level.

We obviously value money very differently. If it's my $ 4 million, the answer is a resounding :lol: yes!

LOL well money doesn't impress me as much now as it did say when I was younger...

So If you had nothing as a rookie and you had a choice between 20 mill and 24 mill me myself I'm taking 22 million so I can get on the damn Feild so I can have a chance Sacking Tom Brady on National TV.

Sacking Brady on National TV and causing a fumble that leads to a winning TD or field goal in the first game..... priceless

Waiting on a WR (Crabtree) to get an overpaid contract so you can get more money...... greedy IMO

But do you have $20 million already sitting in your bank account?

Faulty logic. If I'm already guaranteed a certain sum of money, and I have the opportunity to get 20% more, that's pretty significant. Doesn't matter if I have $100 or $100M.

No, but given previous draft picks, there's no logical reason to believe the Bills are low balling maybin.

Agreed, again. The Bills have signed all of their draft picks this year and in previous years, right in line with the salary slotting. Why would they suddenly devalue Maybin and low ball him? It makes no sense. The holdout almost certainly has to be initiated by Maybin's agent to see if he can get a few million more due to Crabtree.

What Maybin should be thinking is.. is it worth it? On the surface yeah, a few million bucks is a few million bucks. But, what if the Bills don't go higher? What if they say take the standard offer? Both of those are bad for him. And both are highly likely considering the Bills recent contract talks with players demanding more money.

Sure if the Bills are offering him less than the #12 guy, he's got a beef. But, as I stated, I'd find that extremely hard to believe.

But do you have $20 million already sitting in your bank account?

Let's go back to your logic from the previous post (which you and I both seem to think is absurd, but whatever....)

I have 20,000$ in my bank account. I can earn another $4,000 by missing work for a few weeks, and getting some negative publicity. Am I going to do it? Yes.

I have 200,000 in my bank account. I can earn another $40,000 by missing work for a few weeks, and getting some negative publicity. Am I going to do it? Yes.

I have 2,000,000 in my bank account. I can earn another $400,000 by missing work for a few weeks, and getting some negative publicity. Am I going to do it? Yes.

Why should it all of a sudden change at $20,000,000? $4 million is a buttload of money, especially for someone like Maybin who grew up in a working class family. For anyone to suggest that he should sign for less just to please the fans is an insult.

Waiting on a WR (Crabtree) to get an overpaid contract so you can get more money...... greedy IMO

I agree that it sucks if he is waiting for more than he should get due to the Crabtree situation. But by all reasonable accounts, the # should be around $24 - 25 million. Remember, the #12 pick got $23 million. So asking him to take $20 million would be asking him to take less than his draft position warrants.

Oh yea because the health care dilemma and peace in Palestine is really on par with Maybin's hold out in terms of how complicated it is.

I've said in my past 2-3 posts that the blame should be shared by both parties. My point is, it is about time people on this board stop sitting here and blaming agents when there is no other excuse aside from knocking on the team. Peters wants more money? Whoops what an !@#$. Maybin isn't signed? Clearly the agent and players are at fault. PERHAPS that is the case. But, if you are going to go around and make fact-less accusations, you might as well take both sides into account.

Do we know the specifics? No. So in reality, a lot of these arguments over potential contract negotiations are moot, in large part to the point that generally opinions are formed on bias assumptions. If you are skeptical of the Bills FO, you will probably say they did a sh------- job of getting their 2009 squad on the field. If you are a loyalist who hates the "greedy athlete (which seems to be any athlete who asks for more money", it is always going to be the agent and the player at fault.

I don't deny that Maybin screwed up. I also don't deny that the NFL's rookie pay system is !@#$ed up. All I'm saying is that IT IS THE WAY IT IS, and no one complains about it when the players are scoring TD's or sacking the QB. If Edwards gets the Bills to the playoffs this year and asks for a large contract extension in the offseason, will you same people say he is greedy? But, hypocrisy is not the point. Reality is. SO, all I am saying is that the reality of the NFL is that rookies bargain for the top contract they can get. That contract is generally far larger than it should be for an unproven player, but thats the nature of the beast so accept it and get over it.

To deny that the Bills screwed up or to say that they are somehow "helping themselves" by showing they won't be pushed around, is all good rhetoric. But, it doesn't get Maybin on the field and it doesn't help our struggling pass rush. I don't need them making a point on the status of rookie contracts, but I would like them to try and field a playoff caliber team for the first time since 1999. As I have said before, I will eat my words if it turns out Maybin is as big of a greedy jerk as all of you are saying and in fact has no interest in playing for the Bills in 2009. I just don't see that as the case. But, as I said, if facts come out that this is purely an agent led holdout and Maybin had no intention of being anything less than the top paid number 11 pick of all time, that changes everything.

So basically you have nothing to say except to blame the Bills for 'not getting it done" when you can't even begin to describe how to get it done yourself. Typical.

PTR

Let's go back to your logic from the previous post (which you and I both seem to think is absurd, but whatever....)

I have 20,000$ in my bank account. I can earn another $4,000 by missing work for a few weeks, and getting some negative publicity. Am I going to do it? Yes.

I have 200,000 in my bank account. I can earn another $40,000 by missing work for a few weeks, and getting some negative publicity. Am I going to do it? Yes.

I have 2,000,000 in my bank account. I can earn another $400,000 by missing work for a few weeks, and getting some negative publicity. Am I going to do it? Yes.

Why should it all of a sudden change at $20,000,000? $4 million is a buttload of money, especially for someone like Maybin who grew up in a working class family. For anyone to suggest that he should sign for less just to please the fans is an insult.

+1

I once heard an interview with Ted Turner, during which the host asked one of my all-time favorite questions (regarding Turner's recent $10M charitable donation): "Yeah Ted, but what's $10 million to you?"

Turner's answer: "It's $10 million, what kind of a question is that? Just because I have it doesn't make it worth any less to me than it is to anyone else."

I agree that it sucks if he is waiting for more than he should get due to the Crabtree situation. But by all reasonable accounts, the # should be around $24 - 25 million. Remember, the #12 pick got $23 million. So asking him to take $20 million would be asking him to take less than his draft position warrants.

ok Agreed

but dont you think the Bills offered him at least 24 million??