Maybin Update

The Dean

I appreciate your condescending and dismissive responses, they truly are making your point that much stronger.....

Anyways, what would I have done if I were the Bills front office? Why don't you tell me the situation? What is going on right now behind the scenes and I will tell you what I would have done okay? You are clearly insinuating that the Bills have not only MADE an offer, but also have MADE a good offer. So please tell me the situation and I will respond with what I am going to do. Your point "well what would you do?" is not the best question to ask in your apparent deposition of me. Give me the scenario you think is happening. My point is that it is just as disingenuous to blame the Bills FO as it is to blame Maybin, since no one knows what is going on. I mean if I were to ask you "If you were Maybin, what would you do"? Could you give me an honest answer knowing absolutely nothing about the negotiations? I doubt it.

And a blinking contest.... since clearly you are so very confident in your analyses that you need to take every phrase for its literal meaning, would mean that the Bills and Maybin's camp are waiting to see who makes the first concession. In other words, will Maybin say, okay I'll take your offer, or will the Bills say, okay I'll give you more money.

As you say, nobody knows where the differences are between both parties. But, history is on our side regarding the Bills signing first round picks. Unfortunately for us fans, this FO has been there before with picks related to where Maybin was drafted and up to this day no holdouts ocurred because the money paid to said rookies was the correct figure according to the rookie slotting.

The numbers are there for everyone to see, so the offer the Bills made doesn't have to be a "good" offer but a fair one according for what Orakpo, Moreno and Raji got out of their deals.

I have no reason to believe the Bills are lowballing him when rookies from previous years were signed for fair market value. Even McKelvin got more contract money than the pick before him but with less guaranteed money.

Team Maybin is giving us reasons that because Crabtree isn't signed they can't sign right now. But knowing that Crabtree is asking crazy money they want some piece of the action, all of this playing the victim card.

What if the 49ers tell Crabtree to !@#$-off, when and how is this going to end?

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that his rookie likely is not going to meet anyone's expectations of the 11th pick in the draft, the Bills should insist that any contract be for 6 years rather than the 5 years that the rookies typically want. I remember this issue being a hiccup with Whitner. The Bills finally caved.

In this case, if there ever is a deal, it should be for 6 years.

I agree with this 100%, but predict a zero percent chance that it will happen.

This "holdout" goes to the very heart of who Maybin is, and I don't like it one bit. How many years, season after season, do we hear of draftees holding out like this, only to have it retard their growth and/or the ability to be a difference maker? He HAS the ability to tell his agent, "Look, I need to be there, get this deal done", and yet he hasn't done anything!

He's lucky this is August 19th, because if he isn't signed by September 7th at the latest, he's going to be vilified horribly in the WNY press and by Bills fans everywhere, and rightfully so. GET THE DEAL DONE!!!!!!!! WTF?!?!

But.......it will be really fun to BOO him if he continues to hold out and eventually signs. Shades of booing Jason Peters. Those were the days! <_<

This would be more ridiculous than him taking 4 million dollars less just to make you happy. But it doesn't mean that him taking 4 million dollars less is reasonable.

Again, it's a negotiation. Maybin is not giving up 4 million---it doesn't exist. He's conceding 4 mill to get the 20 million (or whatever the Bills may offer).

Look, if you want $500,000 for your house and the best offer, after all negotiation has hit the wall, is $450,000---do you say "heck, I'm giving the buyer $50,000"? Of course not. You are simply getting what you can so you can sell your house. If you don't take the best offer---you have no sale money.

Maybin is selling his services as a football player. There is one bidder. If he refuses their best offer, he gets no money.

Does he think holding out puts pressure on the Bills (can this kid read?)? What are his options? Sit out and go back into the draft (like his moronic buddy Crabtree is bluffing)? Who's going to be dumb enough to draft him as high as #11 next year?

So, 20 million or no contract.

Even a Penn State dropout should be able to figure this one out.

Again, it's a negotiation. Maybin is not giving up 4 million---it doesn't exist. He's conceding 4 mill to get the 20 million (or whatever the Bills may offer).

Look, if you want $500,000 for your house and the best offer, after all negotiation has hit the wall, is $450,000---do you say "heck, I'm giving the buyer $50,000"? Of course not. You are simply getting what you can so you can sell your house. If you don't take the best offer---you have no sale money.

Maybin is selling his services as a football player. There is one bidder. If he refuses their best offer, he gets no money.

Does he think holding out puts pressure on the Bills (can this kid read?)? What are his options? Sit out and go back into the draft (like his moronic buddy Crabtree is bluffing)? Who's going to be dumb enough to draft him as high as #11 next year?

So, 20 million or no contract.

Even a Penn State dropout should be able to figure this one out.

Say you have a really, really nice house. The house next to yours is also really nice, but yours is nicer. The house next to yours sells for 23$ million. Should you take 20$ million from the first potential buyer? No, because you know yours is worth more than that.

Moreno (#12 pick) signed for 23 million. Asking Maybin to sign for 20 would be an insult.

I think Maybin bears most of the blame in this situation. Ever since number 12 signed, he knew his slot number. He has all the power to tell his agent to just get him the contract so he can sign it. We all know the Bills will give him the slot value.

I think the blame the Bills take in this is drafting a guy who values money over Honor. If it was me, I would say this, " give me the percentage increase over last years pick at the same spot that everyone else is getting, and i will sign it today!"

Say you have a really, really nice house. The house next to yours is also really nice, but yours is nicer. The house next to yours sells for 23$ million. Should you take 20$ million from the first potential buyer? No, because you know yours is worth more than that.

Moreno (#12 pick) signed for 23 million. Asking Maybin to sign for 20 would be an insult.

Someone please insult me like that. <_<

This is about guaranteed money, not overall money. Based on the contracts around him, Maybin should get somewhere between 17.9 mil and 13.5 million. I'm guessing he is asking for something more than that. The Bills could offer a contract for $50 million, but unless Maybin accepts the guaranteed money range, everything else is moot. IMO, the Bills front office is not in the wrong here unless their guaranteed money is not in the right range.

This is about guaranteed money, not overall money. Based on the contracts around him, Maybin should get somewhere between 17.9 mil and 13.5 million. I'm guessing he is asking for something more than that. The Bills could offer a contract for $50 million, but unless Maybin accepts the guaranteed money range, everything else is moot. IMO, the Bills front office is not in the wrong here unless their guaranteed money is not in the right range.

If they are offering him $20 million total, regardless of guaranteed $, they are in the wrong. Most first round picks end up collecting all of their first contract.

I wonder if any team has ever just given an unproven, first-round draft choice a 1 year contract? Assuming he really doesn't do much this coming year, would a team really throw 20-30 million on an unproven free-agent?

But he wouldn't sign it.

you folks still going on about this?

by the way, i was the one who complained to SDS ... kidding.

jw

Do us a favor would you John? Find out something, anything, concrete on this story (I am kidding, I know you are doing the best you can and not for us <_<) . Still, it would be nice if we knew something (yes I read your update article) as we are almost completely in the dark here. I am seriously starting to dislike Maybin due to to this.

Oh and for the people saying the Bills are cheap...

Bills rankings for salary spent per year:

2008:16th

2007:4th

2006:30th

Pretty much middle of the road.