Maybin Update

The Dean

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude. He may pronounce it the way you spelled it, but his name is Wawrow.

<_<:thumbsup:

Bad night, here. Completely sober, too.

Hmm. I think I see the problem...

Such a shame. And a perfect speller no less!

He needs Lori's editor. If they can keep her from publishing Smiffport, Louis Run, Oleann, and Brafford he/she's gotta be able to help the Dean.

He needs Lori's editor. If they can keep her from publishing Smiffport, Louis Run, Oleann, and Brafford he/she's gotta be able to help the Dean.

Oooooh. Why, I oughta ... <_<

Funny thing about names: Port had a senior last year named Damen. Decent wrestler, good enough in football to play in the Big 30 Game. And I swear, we were the only paper that had it right every time -- most called him Damon, a few Damien, some others messed up his last name. So when I pounded out the Big 30 gamer a couple of weeks ago, probably the last time I'll write about this guy after covering him for an entire school year ... Yup, first reference was correct, but the second one wasn't. Fortunately, I'd already told them I was going to give it one more proofread, so I managed to fix it with time to spare before the press rolled ...

Like I said, it happens. And like John said, if they make it into print, those tend to sting for a while.

I think the $$ figure people are focusing on is wrong. What matters most is how many $$ are GUARANTEED!

Let me put it another way.

R.Rich has two Garbage Plates and a coupon for a free one on his next visit.

You tell them you want one free plate now and two coupons for free plates.

They get pissed and make you leave.

R.Rich's car breaks down, but at least he got his two plates, so the anticipation of another free plate in the future meant nothing.

Is this analogy stupider than most of the ones in this thread?

If not I apologize. :devil:

From this morning's Buf News, for all those who are acting as if the sky were falling:

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/769088.html

It's not uncommon for the last two or three first-round picks to take this long to sign.

The final pick to sign last summer was Jacksonville defensive end Derrick Harvey, who held out for 33 days, until Aug. 27.....

Last year Harvey had decent production for a rookie despite his holdout. He started nine games with Jacksonville and had 3.5 sacks.

And recent rookie sack leaders:

• DE Gaines Adams, Tampa Bay, 6 sacks

Obtained: First-round pick (fourth overall) out of Clemson

• DT Amobi Okoye, Houston,

5.5 sacks

Obtained: First-round pick (10th overall) out of Louisville

• ILB David Harris, Jets, 5 sacks

Obtained: Second-round pick (47th overall) out of Michigan

2008:

1 Cliff Avril DET 5.0

1 Jason Jones TEN 5.0

1 Trevor Scott OAK 5.0

4 Sedrick Ellis NO 4.0

4 Chris Long STL DE 4.0

6 Derrick Harvey JAC 3.5

I think the $$ figure people are focusing on is wrong. What matters most is how many $$ are GUARANTEED!

Let me put it another way.

R.Rich has two Garbage Plates and a coupon for a free one on his next visit.

You tell them you want one free plate now and two coupons for free plates.

They get pissed and make you leave.

R.Rich's car breaks down, but at least he got his two plates, so the anticipation of another free plate in the future meant nothing.

Is this analogy stupider than most of the ones in this thread?

If not I apologize. :flirt:

What's this about plates and coupons? :devil:

You may be right, but he has never lacked heart on the field. I think you understand that has nothing to do with contract negotiations, but you let your feeling for him as a draft pick effect your post on his heart. This last post makes that very clear.

I just expect more honesty and integrity here.

That's right--honesty and integrity. Because as all of us here well know, as we have each witnessed every game in which he played in his one year at his position---this young man has more heart than any other first round draft pick who has yet to sign. I mean, way more.

He is now battling forces that are far out of his control and are keeping him in a constant teary state as he cannot join his beloved [team-that-drafted-him]. Say what you want about this "holdout" stuff, but do not question his heart.

Say you have a really, really nice house. The house next to yours is also really nice, but yours is nicer. The house next to yours sells for 23$ million. Should you take 20$ million from the first potential buyer? No, because you know yours is worth more than that.

Moreno (#12 pick) signed for 23 million. Asking Maybin to sign for 20 would be an insult.

I clearly stated "or whatever the Bills may offer". The 20 mil was just an example and a figure the someone else started with (i.e., 20 vs 24 mil).

Look, you may think your house is nicer than your neighbor's (what seller doesn't), but I'm sure you must know that that means nothing. Your house's value is determined by the market (buyer), not you. You can't "know it's worth more" if the market says it's not.

Unless you are in a seller's market (unheard of now), you will take the best offer or you will never sell your house. Geez, haven't you ever sold a house before???

As for Maybin, I'm not suggesting that he take the "first offer".

I clearly stated "or whatever the Bills may offer". The 20 mil was just an example and a figure the someone else started with (i.e., 20 vs 24 mil).

Look, you may think your house is nicer than your neighbor's (what seller doesn't), but I'm sure you must know that that means nothing. Your house's value is determined by the market (buyer), not you. You can't "know it's worth more" if the market says it's not.

Unless you are in a seller's market (unheard of now), you will take the best offer or you will never sell your house. Geez, haven't you ever sold a house before???

As for Maybin, I'm not suggesting that he take the "first offer".

At least we haven't bought that house yet. Things could be much worse - imagine if you had paid $60M for a house, then it immediately fell apart...

"Andrews is one of four projected starting offensive linemen who won't be playing on Thursday night against the Colts, along with his brother Stacy Andrews, Todd Herremans, and Jason Peters."

"Jason Peters is rehabbing a nagging quad injury, and won't play against the Colts."

Best damned $60 million Ralph & Russ never spent! :devil:

"Jason Peters is rehabbing a nagging quad injury, and won't play against the Colts."

Best damned $60 million Ralph & Russ never spent! :flirt:

Lol, sucks to be them! Could you imagine if the Bills had a big off season acquisition that was sitting out multiple pre-season games due to injury... :devil:

I find this whole thing to be really bizarre. Maybin was a borderline reach at 11 and should be EXCITED that he has the opportunity to get paid whatever the Bills are offering. I know, I know. It is business. But maybe while he and his greedy buddy Lavar continue this holdout, the light may suddenly comes on for Chris Ellis that makes Maybin expendable after all...

Of course, I am overreacting. Th reality is that he will sign on the dotted line soon. I mean he has to, right? What possible advantage does he have to sitting out this year? If he re-enters the draft in 2010, he's probably not even a Day 1 pick. The Bills hold all the cards, and they know that. Hence, they can afford to be rigid, especially if Maybin is as raw as some reports suggest, meaning that he is unlikely to make a big impact this year anyway.

you just do not get it. yu comments about being thankful about being taken #11 are childish!

Tell him he has a 24-hour deadline to sign the offer or else he'll have to sit-out the year and re-enter the draft next year. Enough is enough.

It does seem like the scales have tipped to the agents. I remember Bill Parcells was really good at using the media, and actual disciplinary action to make players push their agents into getting signed. But he was an exception.

I’d like to see the rhetoric cranked up a little bit, tell him as Parcells used to craft-fully indicate that with any more time missed, he would only be able to learn enough to be a special teamer for the season, no D snaps, as the first team is jelling. Start bringing in free agents for visits to fill the depth chart at OLB and DE.

Agents can downplay exchanges behind closed doors, but the media can help give rise to doubts, which in turn will drive Maybin into pressuring his agent to close a deal.

Q: Weren't some of the same criticisms about size and experience being levelled against Maybin today also levelled against Dwight Freeney? Undersized, never played against anybody?

I'd like to see Maybin in camp. Get the deal done. Worst thing that can happen is that he ends up like Erik Flowers. Best thing is he ends up like Dwight Freeney and we get an instant boost to the pass rush. Git 'er done, Russ.