Maybin Update

The Dean

Does anyone else find it hard to take Mr. Pollock seriously when he gets Maybin's name wrong?

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/articles/2...6c408859852.txt

No, because I know how many of my own mistakes the desk has caught. (Or hasn't caught; believe me, I've crumpled up a few papers in disgust over the last year or so, with nobody to blame but myself.) You know what he told me when I was bemoaning one particular typo, shortly after I started?

"Welcome to the business."

Their deadline is 9:30 a.m. I guarantee he was cussing about the mistake before 10. But you know what? There's another newspaper due out tomorrow, so you try to get it out of your system and move on.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, because I know how many of my own mistakes the desk has caught. (Or hasn't caught; believe me, I've crumpled up a few papers in disgust over the last year or so, with nobody to blame but myself.) You know what he told me when I was bemoaning one particular typo, shortly after I started?

"Welcome to the business."

Their deadline is 9:30 a.m. I guarantee he was cussing about the mistake before 10. But you know what? There's another newspaper due out tomorrow, so you try to get it out of your system and move on.

one of the worst things you can do in this business is misspell a person's name. and it just eats away at you when you realize it's happened and it wasn't caught by an editor (the last line of defense), while realizing it's all your fault. ... i've been there, and for those throwing stones, well, i'd be happy to meet someone who is perfect.

jw

Maybin is a useless effing puke. Screw him and his agent too. Not only that, screw the front office who expected to improve our pressure off the end with a rookie. That plan is now screwed.

The person who is LEAST to blame is probably his agent. That guy gets money in his pocket as soon as the contract is settled. If Maybin wanted to be in town, he would be.

I just hope that Maybin isn't an undersized version of Mike Williams.

How did you know I had a dog? <todd suspiciously looks out window>

Based on your past posts, you seem like a dog person. And a good Bills fan.

i'd certainly hope not. heck, don't know what i'm doing on here. <_<

jw

Yeah Wawrow, shouldn't you be burning up the phones and getting to the bottom of this Maybin biz? Me, your employer, and everyone else here expects 40 hours pay for 60 hours of work. Get on the ball! :thumbsup:

no worries, Booster. ...

what's oddly disturbing, though, is how some take this personally by calling players names, such as todd. ... unless you lost $10,000 on a bet on when Maybin would sign, because the date you picked has passed, well, that's a little strong.

jw

Fans are like that though as teams evoke strong feelings one way or another (and exaggerated by the internet) . If Maybin signs soon though, while working his ass off and doing well over the next two seasons, everything will be forgotten. Most would be happy with an autograph the week he signed (presuming it is soon).

Fans are like that though as teams evoke strong feelings one way or another (and exaggerated by the internet) . If Maybin signs soon though, while working his ass off and doing well over the next two seasons, everything will be forgotten. Most would be happy with an autograph the week he signed (presuming it is soon).

i hear you. and sorry for straying off topic, as i'm planning to shut it down for the night.

two neat stories about players that you would never hear about:

1. one highly paid bills star player was visibly struck after greeting and spending time with a fan Tuesday, who arrived in an ambulance as part of a Make A Wish Foundation visit.

2. one bills player who has a slim chance of making the team asked me for two sheets of notepad paper this morning so he could sign for two disabled fans seeking his autograph.

i was impressed by both.

jw

one of the worst things you can do in this business is misspell a person's name. and it just eats away at you when you realize it's happened and it wasn't caught by an editor (the last line of defense), while realizing it's all your fault. ... i've been there, and for those throwing stones, well, i'd be happy to meet someone who is perfect.

jw

OK, but you're buying. <_<

That had occurred to me. <_<

In my defense, I was spending those ten minutes reading to blind kids...maybe...

You failed to mention, it was you who caused their blindness!

Minor detail, though.

i hear you. and sorry for straying off topic, as i'm planning to shut it down for the night.

two neat stories about players that you would never hear about:

1. one highly paid bills star player was visibly struck after greeting and spending time with a fan Tuesday, who arrived in an ambulance as part of a Make A Wish Foundation visit.

2. one bills player who has a slim chance of making the team asked me for two sheets of notepad paper this morning so he could sign for two disabled fans seeking his autograph.

i was impressed by both.

jw

Is there a professional reason you would omit these fella's names?

I just hope that Maybin isn't an undersized version of Mike Williams.

I won't make any predictions about what kind of career this kid is going to have but I will say with full confidence that his heart will never be a problem.