Maybin Update

The Dean

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think it's ironic that the three drafted highest holdouts have issues associateed with each:

1. Andre Smith--weight and possible discipline/attitude issues; suspended for bowl game for undisclosed issues; stock dropped drastically for walking out of the combine

2. Michael Crabtree--didn't run the 40 due to injured foot; questions about being a system player; and more injuries

3. Aaron Maybin--concerns whether 1 year wonder; tweener, not sure if can maintain a DE's weight when he's at that threshold now

Makes you wonder if they wanna cash out early just in case they don't they don't end up performing and warranting a follow on top tier contract.

That is exactly what should be done and the process should have either already begun or it should begin VERY soon.

The only thing I would add is that the Bills should break with tradition and announce their offer and the decreasing terms publicly. They should explain their position and allow their fans to understand. They should invite Maybin to state his position as well. This would squelch any complaints because any position Maybin might have would be clearly seen as ridiculous as he tried to tie himself to an injured but top flight talent.

This strategy would put more pressure on Maybin as other teams would see him for what he is, and be less likely to draft him next year. He could get the number 11 money he deserves this year or sit for a year and get the number 42 money he would deserve by then.

If the Bills are currently offering him #15 money, they would be rightly seen as the villian. Of course, they are not so this won't happen. Going public forces Maybin's hand.

I agree.

All i know is that the Redskins popped champagne corks when the Bills passed on Orakpo (which i could not believe!). Meanwhile, he has been such a stud in preseason that they are ready to erect a statue in Orakpo's likeness! And we got this clown Maybin and his ridiculous agent to deal with? whata joke.

I agree.

The only problem I can see is that other players and future draft picks my see the tactic as unfair. The Bills would have to point out that Maybin is the exception and that they have had few problems digning others in recent years.

Of course the Bills would be correct but the perception could still be otherwise. The Bills could not do much to control that. Either way, Maybin's hand is still forced.

All i know is that the Redskins popped champagne corks when the Bills passed on Orakpo (which i could not believe!). Meanwhile, he has been such a stud in preseason that they are ready to erect a statue in Orakpo's likeness! And we got this clown Maybin and his ridiculous agent to deal with? whata joke.

Where do you get this crap?

PTR

I want to hit something.

:wallbash:

Hit A.M. then. I don't like the pay system for rookies at all. These kids have done nothing for the league or their future employers and want BIG money. As I have said on numerous occasions, Maybin and Penn State got run over by Sanchez and company in the Rose, so I was against this pick to begin with. I agree with a lot of posts in here that we should make a realistic offer if one hasn't been made. Place a time limit on it, meaning a reduction in amounts as father time marches on and get on with the team we have at our facility. If Mr. Maybin and Mr. Crabtree don't care for the millions, then they are welcome to watch the games on television like the rest of us and enjoy a six pack instead of Crystal. Let the games begin. No huddle here we come, I got my popcorn ready.

and what makes you say we're not

Actually I've never said they weren't ....... I haven't tried to blame OBD of being cheap ..... nor have I blamed A.M. of being a blood sucking malcontent.

My post was mearly trying to figure out what an organization should do with an unsigned rookie at this point in time going forward through the season.

To be perfectly honest I really don't know what a low ball offer would be in A.M.s case ........ You can say draft slots all you want ...... but that scale isn't official by any means, it is not supported by the players union, nor is it demanded to by the owners. I'll agree it has become traditional over the years, but not "official" by any means.

So here we have a player who the Bills wanted ..... they drafted ..... and offered him what they thought he was worth. Either he agrees and signs or he doesn't agree refuses to sign and gets to test the market next year ........ I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that if he waits till the draft next year he will not get near what is on the table right now.

Where do you get this crap?

PTR

Do you live in DC? Well i do and get to read and see every story on the Redskins. Yes, even in a 23-0 loss the other night, they still can't stop talking about the guy's play and how he will be the cornerstone of the defense for the next 10 yrs.

Word.

This is the Achilles heel of the NFL.

But no matter what Maybin says, the responsibility to get this done is his. As if the Bills don't want him in camp. As if the Bills aren't offering a fair and appropriate deal. Yeah right.

Maybin can say "business side of things" all he wants. He is showing his true colors by not firing his agent and getting a deal done. This is ridiculous, and a real embarrassment and distraction for the team.

Right, and what does #1 have to do with him holding out? Don't be a dumbass. Idiot fans who think they are draft experts irk the hell out of me, so pardon me if I think you are a moron.

Don't make me go back and look these things up but

1. On draft day I said that Maybin was picked at least 9 spots ahead of where he should have gone and DEAN LAUGHED.

2. Dean has been saying that Maybin will be signed "any day now" FOR THREE WEEKS.

Perhaps someone isn't as smart as he thinks he is.

Next year there is no CBA and anything goes, if Maybin doesn't get in soon, and he drifts to next year he may get nothing. The Bills hold all of the cards and Maybin is an idiot for not signing. I applaud the Bills for not caving to a punk. Screw him and dump his ass next year.

Do we get a compensory pick if we cant sign Maybin?

I just can't believe they are "far apart". Really? This shouldn't be hard. What is his agent doing? Also, if he wanted to be here by now, he would just accept less than his agent wants. I'm changing my tune on the whole situation. I'm starting to hate the guy

This is one time I don't blame the Bills front office- Maybin you were picked 11th you get 11th money wtf is so hard about that, fire you agent and get in camp- leave it to Oakland to throw a wrench into things by taking a WR 7th overall who was rated a 2nd round pick- well played sir well played.

Right, and what does #1 have to do with him holding out? Don't be a dumbass. Idiot fans who think they are draft experts irk the hell out of me, so pardon me if I think you are a moron.

Your retarded comments barely justify a response. I suppose the Bills FO is beyond reproach. Whitner over Ngata, Losman, McCan'tgo, Hardy and now Aaron Moneygrubber are just a few of their recent gems. Please don't be an imbecile your whole life.

Anyone care to fill in the blanks? Crabtree is reportedly asking for Darrius Heyward-Bey money and the Cincinnati Bengals are reportedly lowballing Andre Smith and offering him less than Heyward-Bey.

1. Matthew Stafford QB Detroit Signed 6 years, $72 million ($41.7M guaranteed)

2. Jason Smith OT St. Louis Signed 5 years, $61.775 million ($33M guaranteed)

3. Tyson Jackson DE Kansas City Signed 5 years, $57 million ($31M guaranteed)

4. Aaron Curry LB Seattle Signed 6 years, $60 million ($34M guaranteed)

5. Mark Sanchez QB N.Y. Jets Signed 5 years, $60 million ($28M guaranteed)

6. Andre Smith OT Cincinnati Unsigned

7. Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Oakland Signed 5 years, $38.25 million ($23.5M guaranteed)

8. Eugene Monroe OT Jacksonville Signed 5 years, $35.4 million ($19.2M guaranteed)

9. B.J. Raji DT Green Bay Signed 5 years, $28.5 million ($18M guaranteed)

10. Michael Crabtree WR San Francisco Unsigned

11. Aaron Maybin DE Buffalo Unsigned

12. Knowshon Moreno RB Denver Signed 5 years, $23 million ($13M guaranteed)

13. Brian Orakpo DE Washington Signed 5 years, $20 million ($12.1M guaranteed)

14. Malcolm Jenkins CB New Orleans Signed 5 years, up to $19 million ($11M guaranteed)

15. Brian Cushing LB Houston Signed 5 years, $18 million ($10.435M guaranteed)

16. Larry English DE San Diego Signed 5 years, $17.8 million ($9.9M guaranteed)

17. Josh Freeman QB Tampa Bay Signed 5 years, $36 million (10.25M guaranteed)

18. Robert Ayers LB Denver Signed 5 years

19. Jeremy Maclin WR Philadelphia Signed 5 years, $15.5 million ($9.5M guaranteed)

20. Brandon Pettigrew TE Detroit Signed 5 years, $14.6 million ($9.4M guaranteed)

21. Alex Mack C Cleveland Signed 5 years, $15 million ($8.3M guaranteed)

22. Percy Harvin WR Minnesota Signed 5 years, $14.25 million ($8.4M guaranteed)

23. Michael Oher OT Baltimore Signed 5 years, $13 million ($7.82M guaranteed)

24. Peria Jerry DT Atlanta Signed 5 years, $13.25 million ($7.55M guaranteed)

25. Vontae Davis CB Miami Signed 5 years, $13.3 million ($7.35M guaranteed)

26. Clay Matthews LB Green Bay Signed 5 years, $13.2 million ($7.1M guaranteed)

27. Donald Brown RB Indianapolis Signed 5 years, $12.835 million ($6.845M guaranteed)

28. Eric Wood C Buffalo Signed 5 years, $13 million ($6.5M guaranteed)

29. Hakeem Nicks WR N.Y. Giants Signed 5 years, $12.54 million ($6M guaranteed)

30. Kenny Britt WR Tennessee Signed 5 years, $12.25 million ($6.5M guaranteed)

31. Chris "Beanie" Wells RB Arizona Signed 5 years, $11.8 million ($6.345M guaranteed)

32. Evander "Ziggy" Hood DT Pittsburgh Signed 5 years, $11.3 million ($6.1M guaranteed)

Maybin you were picked 11th you get 11th money wtf is so hard about that

I agree, for the most part with the above. But are you CERTAIN the Bills are offering 11th money?

I have to believe it takes both sides to screw up something this (seemingly) simple.

More food for thought. The rookie contracts for last year's Number One picks:

1. Jake Long OT Miami Signed 5 years, $57.5 million ($30M guaranteed)

2. Chris Long DE St. Louis Signed 6 years, $56.5 million ($29M guaranteed)

3. Matt Ryan QB Atlanta Signed 6 years, $72 million ($34M guaranteed)

4. Darren McFadden RB Oakland Signed 6 years, $60 million ($26M guaranteed)

5. Glenn Dorsey DT Kansas City Signed 5 years, $51 million ($23M guaranteed)

6. Vernon Gholston DE N.Y. Jets Signed 5 years, $50 million ($21M guaranteed)

7. Sedrick Ellis DT New Orleans Signed 5 years, $49 million ($19.5M guaranteed)

8. Derrick Harvey DE Jacksonville Signed 5 years, $33.4 million ($17.177M guaranteed)

9. Keith Rivers LB Cincinnati Signed 6 years, $23 million ($15.6M guaranteed)

10. Jerod Mayo LB New England Signed 5 years, $18.9 million ($13.8M guaranteed)

11. Leodis McKelvin CB Buffalo Signed 5 years, $19.4 million ($12.6M guaranteed)

12. Ryan Clady OT Denver Signed 5 years, $17.5 million ($11.5M guaranteed)

13. Jonathan Stewart RB Carolina Signed 5 years, $20 million ($10.795M guaranteed)

14. Chris Williams OT Chicago Signed 5 years, $16 million ($10M guaranteed)

15. Branden Albert OG Kansas City Signed 5 years, $15.8 million ($9.2M guaranteed)

16. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB Arizona Signed 5 years, $15.1 million ($9M guaranteed)

17. Gosder Cherilus OT Detroit Signed 5 years, $15 million ($8.9M guaranteed)

18. Joe Flacco QB Baltimore Signed 5 years, $30 million ($8.75M guaranteed)

19. Jeff Otah OT Carolina Signed 5 years, $14.4 million ($8.965M guaranteed)

20. Aqib Talib CB Tampa Bay Signed 5 years, $14 million ($8.2M guaranteed)

21. Sam Baker OT Atlanta Signed 5 years, $13.5 million ($7.8M guaranteed)

22. Felix Jones RB Dallas Signed 5 years, $10.5 million ($8M guaranteed)

23. Rashard Mendenhall RB Pittsburgh Signed 5 years, $12.555 million ($7.125M guaranteed)

24. Chris Johnson RB Tennessee Signed 5 years, $12 million ($7M guaranteed)

25. Mike Jenkins CB Dallas Signed 5 yaers, $9.7 million ($7M guaranteed)

26. Duane Brown OT Houston Signed 5 years, $11.4 million ($6.5M guaranteed)

27. Antoine Cason CB San Diego Signed 5 years, $12.03 million

28. Lawrence Jackson DE Seattle Signed 5 years, $11.25 million ($6.1M guaranteed)

29. Kentwan Balmer DE San Francisco Signed 5 years, $11.5 million ($6M guaranteed)

30. Dustin Keller TE N.Y. Jets Signed 5 years, $12 million ($6M guaranteed)

31. Kenny Phillips FS N.Y. Giants Signed 5 years, $11.15 million

So regarding Maybin's fair compensation, perhaps 5 years, $25 million with $15 million guaranteed?

Leodis McKelvin in the same spot last year received 5 years, $19.4 million with $12.6 guaranteed.

It's a substantial bump up from last year. Perhaps they could include incentives also to make up the difference between the two sides.

And I also like taking money off the table as the weeks go by.

From JW's article I think we can all agree that Maybin will not be signed before the Packer's game on Sat. nite. If our DE's such as Ellis and Bryan continue their strong play, than Maybin's position starts to look very tenuous. If he is not in before the Pittsburg game, and talks are still where they are now, we could have a very interesting mess on our hands. I don't see Russ Brandon as a guy who is going to overpay for someone of Maybin's worth. The Bills did not give in to Jason Peters, and they certainly will not give in to Aaron Maybin. We may not be great at picking talent, but our front office does not get pushed around.

I think it is not beyond the realm of possibility that all three holdouts may not sign with the teams they were drafted by. If we have a good team without Maybin, does anyone really care if we ever sign him? What about trading his rights for Andre Smith's rights? That would be quite a scenario. Could it happen?

From JW's article I think we can all agree that Maybin will not be signed before the Packer's game on Sat. nite. If our DE's such as Ellis and Bryan continue their strong play, than Maybin's position starts to look very tenuous. If he is not in before the Pittsburg game, and talks are still where they are now, we could have a very interesting mess on our hands. I don't see Russ Brandon as a guy who is going to overpay for someone of Maybin's worth. The Bills did not give in to Jason Peters, and they certainly will not give in to Aaron Maybin. We may not be great at picking talent, but our front office does not get pushed around.

I think it is not beyond the realm of possibility that all three holdouts may not sign with the teams they were drafted by. If we have a good team without Maybin, does anyone really care if we ever sign him? What about trading his rights for Andre Smith's rights? That would be quite a scenario. Could it happen?

I agree that Brandon will not cave. I also think it's ridiculous to think the Bills are lowballing (which only one or two here have suggested). The Bills have not had trouble signing their picks in years and have given fair contracts.

The trade scenario you suggested? Well, does Cinci even like Maybin and do the Bills even like Smith? A further difficulty would be that all sides would have to agree to contracts before such a trade was made.

Anyone care to fill in the blanks? Crabtree is reportedly asking for Darrius Heyward-Bey money and the Cincinnati Bengals are reportedly lowballing Andre Smith and offering him less than Heyward-Bey.

1. Matthew Stafford QB Detroit Signed 6 years, $72 million ($41.7M guaranteed)

2. Jason Smith OT St. Louis Signed 5 years, $61.775 million ($33M guaranteed)

3. Tyson Jackson DE Kansas City Signed 5 years, $57 million ($31M guaranteed)

4. Aaron Curry LB Seattle Signed 6 years, $60 million ($34M guaranteed)

5. Mark Sanchez QB N.Y. Jets Signed 5 years, $60 million ($28M guaranteed)

6. Andre Smith OT Cincinnati Unsigned

7. Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Oakland Signed 5 years, $38.25 million ($23.5M guaranteed)

8. Eugene Monroe OT Jacksonville Signed 5 years, $35.4 million ($19.2M guaranteed)

9. B.J. Raji DT Green Bay Signed 5 years, $28.5 million ($18M guaranteed)

10. Michael Crabtree WR San Francisco Unsigned

11. Aaron Maybin DE Buffalo Unsigned

12. Knowshon Moreno RB Denver Signed 5 years, $23 million ($13M guaranteed)

13. Brian Orakpo DE Washington Signed 5 years, $20 million ($12.1M guaranteed)

14. Malcolm Jenkins CB New Orleans Signed 5 years, up to $19 million ($11M guaranteed)

15. Brian Cushing LB Houston Signed 5 years, $18 million ($10.435M guaranteed)

16. Larry English DE San Diego Signed 5 years, $17.8 million ($9.9M guaranteed)

17. Josh Freeman QB Tampa Bay Signed 5 years, $36 million (10.25M guaranteed)

18. Robert Ayers LB Denver Signed 5 years

19. Jeremy Maclin WR Philadelphia Signed 5 years, $15.5 million ($9.5M guaranteed)

20. Brandon Pettigrew TE Detroit Signed 5 years, $14.6 million ($9.4M guaranteed)

21. Alex Mack C Cleveland Signed 5 years, $15 million ($8.3M guaranteed)

22. Percy Harvin WR Minnesota Signed 5 years, $14.25 million ($8.4M guaranteed)

23. Michael Oher OT Baltimore Signed 5 years, $13 million ($7.82M guaranteed)

24. Peria Jerry DT Atlanta Signed 5 years, $13.25 million ($7.55M guaranteed)

25. Vontae Davis CB Miami Signed 5 years, $13.3 million ($7.35M guaranteed)

26. Clay Matthews LB Green Bay Signed 5 years, $13.2 million ($7.1M guaranteed)

27. Donald Brown RB Indianapolis Signed 5 years, $12.835 million ($6.845M guaranteed)

28. Eric Wood C Buffalo Signed 5 years, $13 million ($6.5M guaranteed)

29. Hakeem Nicks WR N.Y. Giants Signed 5 years, $12.54 million ($6M guaranteed)

30. Kenny Britt WR Tennessee Signed 5 years, $12.25 million ($6.5M guaranteed)

31. Chris "Beanie" Wells RB Arizona Signed 5 years, $11.8 million ($6.345M guaranteed)

32. Evander "Ziggy" Hood DT Pittsburgh Signed 5 years, $11.3 million ($6.1M guaranteed)

Based on these figures, I would say $26 Million with $16 Million gauranteed

Maybin is Jason Peters all over again. Uggggghhh. Hated the pick on draft day and hate it even more today. To me Eric Wood is the only legit 2009 Bills first round selection. Trade his ass to a willing partner and be done with him.

Maybin is Jason Peters all over again. Uggggghhh. Hated the pick on draft day and hate it even more today. To me Eric Wood is the only legit 2009 Bills first round selection. Trade his ass to a willing partner and be done with him.

What is this guy gonna ask for if he actually does something?

what strong play are you talking about, they suck

I hated the pick to begin with. Sometimes I hate being right.

How does this make you right? If the guy turns into a sack artist, for whatever team, are you totally full of shiit?

You could really call the bluff of the Maybin camp. Sign D.Brooks and pull your contract offer to Maybin. You'll save a bit of money and the impact at this point could be better for the team than having some snivelling rookie who doesn't know what he is doing all season....

wouldn't mind this at all but you'd have to give more than Maybin - add Schouman hahaha

The only problem I can see is that other players and future draft picks my see the tactic as unfair. The Bills would have to point out that Maybin is the exception and that they have had few problems digning others in recent years.

Of course the Bills would be correct but the perception could still be otherwise. The Bills could not do much to control that. Either way, Maybin's hand is still forced.

Saying it was a situation only pertaining to draft picks is something they could do. But I could see this backfiring WRT FA's and the Bills' own players they want to re-sign. I now think giving Maybin a deadline/ultimatum is the best way to go and then if he balks (which would be monumentally stupid on his part), reveal the offer.

being a penn state fan...this is killing me. i am getting to damn frusterated with maybin and his prick of an agent.

"Maybin’s value should fall somewhere between the respective five-year contracts signed by Raji ($28.5 million, with just under $18 million guaranteed) and Orakpo ($20 million, with $12.1 million guaranteed)."

give the sumbitch 5 years - $24 million, $15 mill guarenteed. was that hard to figure out?

i hope crabtree gets his legs snapped off by tko in practice, once the pu$$y signs and reports, and he never sees the playing field.