Rumor: Bills trying aggressively to move up for a WR in round one

Logic

I know this is already in the "NFL draft rumors" thread, but given that it involves the team this forum is based on, and involves the position we all know they desperately need, and given that it's based on the reporting of at least one credible source....surely it deserves its own thread, no? I can't be the only one who doesn't regularly check the draft rumors thread. If it gets merged, so be it.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think it's down to what Tyler Dunne said today:

The two scenarios for the Bills are either:

1) Trade up for Rome Odunze

2) Xavier Worthy

It's gonna be one of those two things.

I like the idea of both. A true alpha X receiver would be great. A truly electrifying Z receiver with terrifying speed to open up the middle for Kincaid, Shakir, Samuel, and Cook is great. Either one would improve the Bills offense greatly. Two different flavors, but both would make us more dynamic.

I really believe it's down to those two options as the most likely.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, zevo said:

If it’s not for a big 3….please don’t 

If they want Thomas or Worthy I think they still have to move up from 28

I'd be surprised if they had much interest in Mitchell.

Edited by Bag of Milk
  • Dislike 1

Hopefully not too aggressive. Hard to shake the ghosts of Sammy Watkins from the memory banks, but it feels like that same situation. The draft is loaded with WR potential, and Whaley wanted to get the cream of that crop… then Davante Adams goes in the second round.

Point is, in a deep class I’d rather fire 2, even 3 bullets trying to find the Davante Adams, Aj Brown, DK Metcalf, or even Justin Jefferson in the late 1st, rather than risk the farm and hope Nabers or whoever is more Jamar Chase than Sammy “Can’t Miss, Generational Talent” Watkins.

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Hopefully the Bill's don't give up too much, they usually get fleeced and give away more than the trade value would suggest when they make moves up or generally make a trade. Other teams know they're desperate to trade up for a wide receiver, it's a huge glaring need and of course they'll take advantage of it. The Bill's are not in a good position to negotiate fair value if they want to trade up that bad and other teams know it.

Maybe trade up a little bit and get Worthy and then trade for Metcalf or get another large receiver later on after they get Worthy. Can't let Miami get Worthy or Kansas City.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Hopefully not too aggressive. Hard to shake the ghosts of Sammy Watkins from the memory banks, but it feels like that same situation. The draft is loaded with WR potential, and Whaley wanted to get the cream of that crop… then Davante Adams goes in the second round.

Point is, in a deep class I’d rather fire 2, even 3 bullets trying to find the Davante Adams, Aj Brown, DK Metcalf, or even Justin Jefferson in the late 1st, rather than risk the farm and hope Nabers or whoever is more Jamar Chase than Sammy “Can’t Miss, Generational Talent” Watkins.

To be fair I do think it was injuries largely with Watkins... which is a huge risk in the nfl obviously. 

He also turned out to have some pretty let's just say interesting ideas on things iirc... kinda wonder if he brought any of that into his injury rehab?

5 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

1. Doug should have discovered poor work ethic from Watkins

2. We had no QB 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would think we’d only be trading up for a wr.

Nabers is my unrealistic dream, but we prob would have to trade up too far for him.

Odunze is prob the big trade up possibility and don’t be surprised if the smaller trade up would not be for Thomas jr, but would be for worthy.

14 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

To be fair I do think it was injuries largely with Watkins... which is a huge risk in the nfl obviously. 

He also turned out to have some pretty let's just say interesting ideas on things iirc... kinda wonder if he brought any of that into his injury rehab?

One of these days, you're going to fall off the edge of the earth, and then how funny will it be?

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I would be a bit surprised if they trade up significantly for Worthy. Odunze I can see and I’m all for. Worthy as an outside in the NFL may have some challenges with strength and getting free. Once he does watch out.

Seems like a good kid as he just did a kids camp here in the Fresno area. But I would be mildly surprised if the Bills could not get him at 28. Of course that’s according to all the real and fake experts who are usually wrong 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

With all of the negative stuff that has been leaking out as we get closer to the draft, I would be surprised if the Bills were trying to move up for Thomas or Mitchell.  Granted, this seems to happen before every draft, some of the information being true and some not so much, but given our needs, I can't see Beane using resources to trade up for a pick that does not have high character.  If this is the case, and the target is a WR, it suggests that he wants Odunze.  Not sure that an "aggressive" trade up would be necessary for Worthy, but if Mitchell and Thomas are falling on draft boards, I guess it is possible that Worthy would be considered by some teams to be the 4th best WR option n the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

The question isn’t whether or not the Bills are trying to get up for one of the big 3. That answer is unequivocally yes. That’s obvious. The question is, “can they make a deal that’ll work?” That’s the only question.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

Given their needs and Beane’s propensity for trades we know and the league knows that he’ll explore trading up.

Edited by itaos

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The question isn’t whether or not the Bills are trying to get up for one of the big 3. That answer is unequivocally yes. That’s obvious. The question is, “can they make a deal that’ll work?” That’s the only question.

How high up do they have to get to be certain one of them is available? They could conceivably all be gone by pick 6.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

How high up do they have to get to be certain one of them is available? They could conceivably all be gone by pick 6.

6 is probably the “floor” of where they can go as of now. They could be working contingent deals though with the Titans, Falcons and Bears. I’d imagine that the Bills are calling 4 through 9. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If Beane believes Worthy or BTJ is their guy, I’m fine with giving up 128, another late rounder and a 2025 2nd

I refuse to believe my future #1 WR is a burner that's  5' 11" 165 lbs. 

Give me BTJ.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

6 is probably the “floor” of where they can go as of now. They could be working contingent deals though with the Titans, Falcons and Bears. I’d imagine that the Bills are calling 4 through 9. 

Let's just pretend they get to 4. Who do you think they are taking in that scenario?

• Like (+1) 1