Diggs traded to Texans for picks

42 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Let me re-frame this:

Why do you think it was Diggs who chose the Texans?  Do you believe another team offered more and was rejected? 

Which brings up the follow-on question: If that's true, what was the leverage Diggs possessed that allowed him to choose?  Did Diggs have a trade approval clause in his contract?

“I’m going to tell them I’m not showing up if you send me to the panthers” is not pretty but would accomplish what he wants 

1 hour ago, eme123 said:

The only number that matters is the score at the end. There are 53 guys that contribute to that. Since you asked here is the oh so important 2023 receiving stats. 
Diggs  107rec  1183yds  8td

Davis    45rec   746yds  7td

Kincaid  73rec   673yds  2td

Shakir    39rec   611yds   2td

Cook      44rec   445yds  4td

Pick and choose games all you want. The fact is the Bills are weaker on the fire power end of things without Diggs. 

Diggs is great no doubt but just looking at this Samuel should be able to put up Davis numbers pretty easily. I think kincaid could end up being close to Diggs numbers last year (maybe 90 catches for 1000). Shakir should be able to replicate Kincaid numbers from last year so you need a rookie to replace shakir’s 39 catches and 600 yards. Not really all that crazy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

“I’m going to tell them I’m not showing up if you send me to the panthers” is not pretty but would accomplish what he wants 

It's a valid point that once the league year passed the point of guaranteeing Diggs $18.5M, he acquired that leverage.

I don't remember the point at which a player can be penalized for "failure to report", though I remember thinking it was surprisingly lenient.  But then, we all saw DeSean Watson getting paid to sit on the bench and not play for one entire season by the Texans.

2 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

Diggs is great no doubt but just looking at this Samuel should be able to put up Davis numbers pretty easily. I think kincaid could end up being close to Diggs numbers last year (maybe 90 catches for 1000). Shakir should be able to replicate Kincaid numbers from last year so you need a rookie to replace shakir’s 39 catches and 600 yards. Not really all that crazy.

Samuel and Davis are very different players.  Davis was trying to be that Boundary Guy and he really didn't get it done when asked to be that clever route runner over the middle.  Samuel had his best year, with Joe Brady, playing something like 70+% of his snaps from the slot.  I think a more realistic hope is that he'll be the Beasley replacement Crowder and McKenzie were supposed to be.

I really like how Shakir came on last year and how Kincaid looked as a rookie - so smooth!  But I think it's a long stretch to think Kincaid can replace Diggs.

But with all respect, here's the thing: I think this "Jenga Game" with WR where the Bills (not just you) look at WR and argue something like "Davis sure looked All World in the playoffs against the Colts in 2020 and against KC in 2021.  And McKenzie has been stuck behind Beasley on the depth chart, but he seized his opportunity and showed what he could do against NWE and earlier against the Dolphins.   So we don't need to "splash" in FA or in the draft this year.

We project from what guys can do in an occasional game or while the D is focused on someone else.  The Bills seem to do this, too.

It doesn't necessarily work that way, though.

i think diggs will come to regret forcing his way out of buffalo.

4x pro bowler.....all and only with josh. the bills #1 target. beloved by most of the fan base.  he had it made here. elite QB,  a Top 5 team.

he has now been reduced to a 1 yr rental. if the texans had any intention of keeping him long term they wouldn't have made him a 2025 free agent.

he's on the wrong side of 30. unlikely he is #1 in targets for houston. his next stop will probably make less and win less.

dare i say....what an idiot

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The league has really seemed to go in the way of the short routes, dink and dunk, take what the D gives you type of O systems......as compared with previous years where long balls were being fired all over the field, all game long. 

Yes, we absolutely need a WR1 if not to only stretch the field, however, i see a lot of potential with the short routes with Kincaid, Shakir, Cook, etc.....I think this combination can be lethal and it seems a lot of the media are overlooking this recently with the whole Diggs drama.

We'll be fine.....i truly believe that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eme123 said:

Spoiler: He got old and useless in 7 days time. Remarkable. 

Innit though?

And here's the kicker: his VOLUME didn't go down one bit. Josh was STILL forcing the ball to the man, he just wasn't producing

And really, I couldn't give less of a ***** if it was attitude or what.

He was stealing money for 3/4ths of last year, and would have been stealing money this year.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I believe Shakir finished the season (last 8-10 games?) with a few more yards than Diggs. The thing that really jumps out is that Shakir did it on 38 targets, while Diggs had 80 targets. 

Correct

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Anyone making Diggs out to be a bum is just being a hater. Diggs was an elite route separator for Josh. He can still play at a high level.

But I don’t believe he ever made defenses change what they do. I don’t think he was ever that type of WR.

Oh I think he made defenses change what they wanted to do.   No doubt.   But the problem was that his finesse style didn't translate well to the postseason clutching and grabbing.  

There is a reason that Travis Kelce averages 15 yards per game more and has almost twice the TD production per game in the playoffs versus the regular season despite the Chiefs offense scoring less in general.    His game translates to flag-less football.   Diggs game goes the opposite direction,  less yardage and less TD/game.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I can’t lie when I say it’s kinda funny to watch Texans fans go from thinking they own the league to slowly realizing they gave up a potential Top 40 pick for a malcontent aging WR that’s now a rental & not comp pick eligible. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, papazoid said:

i think diggs will come to regret forcing his way out of buffalo.

4x pro bowler.....all and only with josh. the bills #1 target. beloved by most of the fan base.  he had it made here. elite QB,  a Top 5 team.

he has now been reduced to a 1 yr rental. if the texans had any intention of keeping him long term they wouldn't have made him a 2025 free agent.

he's on the wrong side of 30. unlikely he is #1 in targets for houston. his next stop will probably make less and win less.

Nailed it... especially teamed up with Collins AND Dell.

When you think about why Diggs wanted out of Minnesota it was because they were going to a run-first-oriented offense and Diggs knew he wasn't going to see the ball as often. He wanted out and got his way.

Now look at last season with Ken Dorsey calling plays vs Joe Brady. Dorsey made Diggs the passing focal point and the team wasn't winning games. 160 targets with 107 receptions, 1183 yards with a 66.9 catch percentage for the season. Well, let's look at what happened to the targets Diggs got after the OC change. 

In the Chiefs game in week 14, after the OT loss to the Eagles. Diggs, has 11 targets, for 4 receptions for 44 yards. The #1 targeted player, and yet only four catches. 

The next week against the Cowboys, Diggs 5 targets, and 4 receptions for 48 yards again the most targeted Buffalo receiver. 

The next week against the Chargers, Diggs 8 targets, and 5 receptions for 29 yards again the most targeted Buffalo receiver. Meanwhile, Gabe Davis went off with 6 targets for 4 receptions for 130 yards, 1 TD. Wow, those are some nice numbers! 

The next week against NE, Diggs 7 targets, for 4 receptions for 29 yards. Tied with Kincade with 7 targets for 4 receptions for 87 yards. 

The next week against Miami, 8 targets, 7 receptions for 87 yards. Tied with Kincade again with 8 targets for 7 receptions for 84 yards. Meanwhile, Shakir had 6 targets, and 6 receptions for 105 yards. 

The next week in the playoff game against the Steelers. Diggs 9 targets for 7 receptions for 52 yards. Again, the Bills leading targeted player. 

The next week in the playoffs against the Chiefs, Diggs 8 targets, and 3 receptions for 21 yards. P freaking U...Meanwhile, Shakir had 9 targets for 7 receptions for 44 yards, 1 TD. 

This in my view is Stephon Diggs simply not playing like a #1 WR making nearly 24 million per. 

My take is that Diggs wanted out of Buffalo and was going to be a distraction again this offseason. Why he wanted out is sort of perplexing to me because he remained the focal point of the Buffalo passing offense. Perhaps Diggs wanted to play with his brother in Dallas and now after the 2024 season, he will be a FA. 

For whatever reason Diggs was simply not the same player in the playoffs that he was during the regular season. Yes, he put up a lot of yards and made the Pro Bowl and even "all-pro". Still, the guy disappeared in the playoffs for Buffalo. 

Just as an example, HoF WR Andre Reed against Miami in the 1990 playoffs, 7 receptions for 122 yards, 2 TDs. In his four seasons with Buffalo, in four playoff games... how many TDs has Diggs had? 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Firstly, we all have seen how an unhappy Diggs acts toward his team. We saw it in Minnesota and we saw it here. Same guy. Same playbook. So no team was going to trade for him unless their expectation was that he wanted to be there and would be happy there. So Diggs had to sign off on his acceptable teams. The Texans were either that singular team or one on a short list of teams. So he chose the Texans, potentially along with others.

At that point it would’ve been up to the team(s) to negotiate with Beane. I highly doubt that it was a coincidence that the Texans traded with Minnesota and acquired the pick they traded for Diggs just prior. That was the compensation that got the deal done. It’s probable that it’s what the Texans had to do to match or beat another offer. 

It's a fair point, along with the point someone else made that Diggs "leverage", after his salary was fully guaranteed, was simply telling any team he didn't want to be traded to that he wouldn't report until contractually forced.  No one wants that, especially, as you point out, that an unhappy Diggs can be a passive aggressive PITA.

24 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Samuel and Davis are very different players.  Davis was trying to be that Boundary Guy and he really didn't get it done when asked to be that clever route runner over the middle.  Samuel had his best year, with Joe Brady, playing something like 70+% of his snaps from the slot.  I think a more realistic hope is that he'll be the Beasley replacement Crowder and McKenzie were supposed to be.

I really like how Shakir came on last year and how Kincaid looked as a rookie - so smooth!  But I think it's a long stretch to think Kincaid can replace Diggs.

But with all respect, here's the thing: I think this "Jenga Game" with WR where the Bills (not just you) look at WR and argue something like "Davis sure looked All World in the playoffs against the Colts in 2020 and against KC in 2021.  And McKenzie has been stuck behind Beasley on the depth chart, but he seized his opportunity and showed what he could do against NWE and earlier against the Dolphins.   So we don't need to "splash" in FA or in the draft this year.

We project from what guys can do in an occasional game or while the D is focused on someone else.  The Bills seem to do this, too.

It doesn't necessarily work that way, though.

agree.  We need 2 quality boundary WRs, as I see it.  Samuel will be moved around, but he does best in the slot.  Shakir is 1b in the slot.  

I see Beane doing 1 of 3 things:

1. Double dip early at WR: value will be there in Rd1 and R2

2. Draft an early WR, then sign a MVS/Michael Thomas stop-gap post June 1st when we get the Tre cap money

3. Draft an early WR, and make a trade post June 1st (depending on who is shopping who, ie: Aiyuk, maybe)

I like Option 1, but not sure Beane will put that many young WRs in our room.  This makes the draft all that more interesting to me this year.  We have a chance to setup our WR core for the next 4-5 seasons, if Beane chooses to do so.

• Like (+1) 2

there are 6-7 WR's with a first round grade in this draft

stay where you are at #28 (maybe use a 4th to move up a couple) and take a WR.

make a big move up in 2nd round (with a future 2nd or 3rd) and grab another WR.

i would hate to trade up in this years draft to Top 10......the price is just more than i want to pay.

• Agree 2

43 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Came in as a prima donna, leaving as a prima donna. The only guy on this team who has been a distraction. All about him. Good riddance, Stefon. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

agree.  We need 2 quality boundary WRs, as I see it.  Samuel will be moved around, but he does best in the slot.  Shakir is 1b in the slot.  

I see Beane doing 1 of 3 things:

1. Double dip early at WR: value will be there in Rd1 and R2

2. Draft an early WR, then sign a MVS/Michael Thomas stop-gap post June 1st when we get the Tre cap money

3. Draft an early WR, and make a trade post June 1st (depending on who is shopping who, ie: Aiyuk, maybe)

I like Option 1, but not sure Beane will put that many young WRs in our room.  This makes the draft all that more interesting to me this year.  We have a chance to setup our WR core for the next 4-5 seasons, if Beane chooses to do so.

I hope Beane learned something the year he "double dipped" at DE after announcing post 2020 season that "we couldn't affect the QB".  So he took Greg Rousseau, who was a high-ceiling, low floor guy due to limited playing experience in college, and Boogie Basham, who was supposed to be a solid floor but higher ceiling guy - but who played at a lower level of competition at Wake Forest.   In hindsight, I think Beane was reaching, 

In the end, we may get more value (and certainly more ROI) out of 2022 UDFA Kingsley Jonathan, and we missed on some players who could have helped us.  

I don't think Beane has a problem putting more young WR in the room.  Khalil is a 3rd year guy now; he's got vet Curtis Samuel and vet Mack Hollins who both know how to get through a season.

But I hope he's more likely to do what he did with Elam and Benford - draft a guy they like early, and double-dip by taking a shot at potential late in the draft.

59 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

Don't forget that Cook is likely to play a larger role in the passing game.

35 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Fair or unfair, I'll remember Davis as a guy who contributed 2 monster playoff games and, besides that, a lot of nothing.  

Davis and Diggs combined for 1900 yards last year.  That's a lot of production to replace.  Then again, someone is always going to get yards when Josh throws.  Davis's and Diggs's 240 targets will now go to other receivers.  We'll see if the other guys can get as many yards on those targets.  Right now, I worry the answer just might be no.  Davis is not a huge loss but, as a player, Diggs is.  I think we need at least one more quality wideout.

But I think the biggest wildcard is Joe Brady.  What kind of passing game can he scheme up?  

3 hours ago, eme123 said:

The only number that matters is the score at the end. There are 53 guys that contribute to that. Since you asked here is the oh so important 2023 receiving stats. 
Diggs  107rec  1183yds  8td

Davis    45rec   746yds  7td

Kincaid  73rec   673yds  2td

Shakir    39rec   611yds   2td

Cook      44rec   445yds  4td

Pick and choose games all you want. The fact is the Bills are weaker on the fire power end of things without Diggs. 

Pointing out the Bills are weaker without Diggs is one thing.  Saying the only thing that matters is TD's is a way overly simplistic mindset and minimizes all of the things that have to happen in order for guys to have the opportunity for the TD which are critical.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I am not happy this happened.  I think the Bills got objectively worse - I think Beane knows it.

I believe (maybe hope is a better word) that this is a classic case of taking one step back to more easily take two steps forward.  If ever there was a WR draft that made this decision easier this year is it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I hope Beane learned something the year he "double dipped" at DE after announcing post 2020 season that "we couldn't affect the QB".  So he took Greg Rousseau, who was a high-ceiling, low floor guy due to limited playing experience in college, and Boogie Basham, who was supposed to be a solid floor but higher ceiling guy - but who played at a lower level of competition at Wake Forest.   In hindsight, I think Beane was reaching, 

In the end, we may get more value (and certainly more ROI) out of 2022 UDFA Kingsley Jonathan, and we missed on some players who could have helped us.  

I don't think Beane has a problem putting more young WR in the room.  Khalil is a 3rd year guy now; he's got vet Curtis Samuel and vet Mack Hollins who both know how to get through a season.

But I hope he's more likely to do what he did with Elam and Benford - draft a guy they like early, and double-dip by taking a shot at potential late in the draft.

I hear ya, and good points.

I'm just afraid a late round WR, won't feel the need at boundary/downfield guy.  If we draft a WR in the 1st (presumably who can do it all), we still have a hole at the other WR spot.  

I don't trust Samuel or Shakir outside, whatsoever.  Samuel for some snaps but he's better utilized in the slot/shorter quick routes and YAC.  

If our plan is to bring in a MVS or Thomas, post June 1st, then fine go WR late.  But I'd rather go WR in 1 and 2, where I'm almost certain the value will meet our picks.  Go for a S, 3 tech DT, CB, and a RB round 4+.  Then post June 1st, focus on DE and RB2 (if we don't draft someone).

My biggest concerns are WR and DE.  We have nobody is taking the top off defenses right now, and hope Beane is focused on acquiring speed/explosiveness early.  At DE, not sure a RD2 guy is going to move the needle.  I'd rather we go 1yr rental, like we did with Floyd. 

Ultimately, I trust Beane but he HAS to hit on immediate starter/impact guys in Rd 1 and 2 this year.

Was Joe Brady the end of Diggs?

Even before Brady took over as OC, Diggs had issues.  But once Brady became OC, Diggs's production fell off considerably.  Was this the final straw for Diggs?  Did Diggs then ask to be traded?  

I think it's obvious that some people within the Bills organization weren't happy with Diggs.  But maybe their discontent wasn't enough to trade him - at least not yet, not this year.  But then Diggs demanded a trade because he didn't like his role in Brady's offense.  

I remember when old Buddy Ryan said that, "all he does is catch TD's" about Chris Carter.  Now Buddy, an old D guy, hated when the O scored too fast and didn't give his D enough time to recuperate on the sidelines.

Now equate it to what our roster is today......

We are setting up the old "death by a thousand cuts" approach style O. We've got the roster to slice and dice the middle of the field, where we can control the clock, manage the TOP and carve up D's a little at a time, instead of in bunches.

Yes, we will find our WR1 to alleviate and open up the entire field for the playbook, but as it sits now and contrary to what the media thinks, our roster is exactly what we need it to be in order to control the middle of the field.....which is the direction opposing D's are starting to make more of a focal point.

I have spoken.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

So Tim Graham and Friends podcast

Graham tells a story about the aftermath of the Jets game last season.  Says how forlorn Josh Allen was after that game, taking the loss really hard.  Says when the media was allowed in, Josh was sitting there in his uniform still after the game, Kyle Allen trying to console him, and a steady stream of players coming up to him, patting him on the back, dapping him up, "we'll get them next time", Dion Dawkins "Seventeen for life, I Mean That".  Says they were all trying to pick the guy up, he had a towel draped over his head, just sitting there forlorn.  One thing Graham didn't include in his story because he didn't know what Stefon Diggs said to Allen, but Stefon Diggs came up and said something, and Josh Allen snapped at him "It's One *****in' Game!" and motioned like "I'm not talking to you here" and Diggs walked away and Josh sat there.  Says "maybe Stefon Diggs was saying something nice to him" but, he didn't snap at anybody else and there was a stream of players coming over to him.  Whatever Stefon Diggs said to him, Graham said Josh Allen wasn't having it.  

Also says Devin McCourty told him, having studied film for his NBC analyst gig heading into the season finale against the Dolphins, said "looks to me as though the Bills are trying to prove that they don't need him".  Graham says, "By definition, finishing the season 7 and 1, They Didn't."

Now, that was arguably Diggs best game of the 2nd half of the season, 7 receptions for 87 yds.  But, Shakir had 6 receptions for 107 yds, Kincaid had 7 for 84 yds.

I enjoyed Diggs' time here but am glad he's gone.  It's been a while in coming.  Thanks for posting, this story doesn't surprise me.

I think Diggs wants to win and probably realizes his career is getting closer to winding down.  I think he took it on himself to challenge Josh on his bad habits and probably got tired of it against Cinci and perhaps also sick of McD.  Last season everyone, especially Josh,  got sick of Diggs' approach.  I definitely felt Josh was ignoring Diggs on the field when his stats were tanking. 

I love Josh but let's be real, he's very stubborn as a QB.  Doesn't always go through all his reads preferring to force the ball and God help him he throws the wide open check-down.  Obviously he's proven capable in certain games during Dorsey's time when they tried to force him to be more of a pocket QB.  But he chooses not to see the entire field regularly.

What worries me the most from this story and situation is maybe no one's holding Josh accountable anymore, not even Josh himself.  That may be the biggest window closure to the Super Bowl.

• Eyeroll 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The $ was already paid.  The move cost an additional 3.2 mil this year against the cap  and freed up around 60 million in future years cap space.  27 next year.

but you put a big hole at your WR1 position and a using $32 million against the cap this year for a 2nd round pick in next year's draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Don't forget that Cook is likely to play a larger role in the passing game.

Or, in his case, the dropping game. 

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I remember when old Buddy Ryan said that, "all he does is catch TD's" about Chris Carter.  Now Buddy, an old D guy, hated when the O scored too fast and didn't give his D enough time to recuperate on the sidelines.

Now equate it to what our roster is today......

We are setting up the old "death by a thousand cuts" approach style O. We've got the roster to slice and dice the middle of the field, where we can control the clock, manage the TOP and carve up D's a little at a time, instead of in bunches.

Yes, we will find our WR1 to alleviate and open up the entire field for the playbook, but as it sits now and contrary to what the media thinks, our roster is exactly what we need it to be in order to control the middle of the field.....which is the direction opposing D's are starting to make more of a focal point.

I have spoken.

Knowledgeable members of the media see it and get it.  I'm amazed at the "expert" opinions that say absolutely nothing because they aren't paying attention.

20 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I hear ya, and good points.

I'm just afraid a late round WR, won't feel the need at boundary/downfield guy.  If we draft a WR in the 1st (presumably who can do it all), we still have a hole at the other WR spot.  

I don't trust Samuel or Shakir outside, whatsoever.  Samuel for some snaps but he's better utilized in the slot/shorter quick routes and YAC.  

If our plan is to bring in a MVS or Thomas, post June 1st, then fine go WR late.  But I'd rather go WR in 1 and 2, where I'm almost certain the value will meet our picks.  Go for a S, 3 tech DT, CB, and a RB round 4+.  Then post June 1st, focus on DE and RB2 (if we don't draft someone).

My biggest concerns are WR and DE.  We have nobody is taking the top off defenses right now, and hope Beane is focused on acquiring speed/explosiveness early.  At DE, not sure a RD2 guy is going to move the needle.  I'd rather we go 1yr rental, like we did with Floyd. 

Ultimately, I trust Beane but he HAS to hit on immediate starter/impact guys in Rd 1 and 2 this year.

I'm afraid as far as pass rushers are concerned we're probably going to have to roll with what we got this year unless we get lucky with someone post June 1st. But the good news from the Diggs trade is that the money that's freed up from his contract next year we could go after one of the top free agent pass rushers with it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

but you put a big hole at your WR1 position and a using $32 million against the cap this year for a 2nd round pick in next year's draft. 

theres no sugar coating the negative short term 2024 hit that $32 in dead cap hurts.

but there's a big long term cap savings for 2025, 2026 & 2027  ...AND a bonus early 2nd round draft pick that can be used to replace him.

diggs didn't want to be here, the bills didn't want him....it had to be done. beane did well out of a bad situation

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, papazoid said:

no denying diggs was an elite pro bowl level WR for all 4 years in buffalo

it's crazy that in spite of that, he was so unhappy and the bills so tired of his distractions

And each of those seasons exceeded anything Diggs did in Minnesota, a fact that the morons who say Diggs made Josh who he is conveniently forget. It was the opposite.

11 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

I enjoyed Diggs' time here but am glad he's gone.  It's been a while in coming.  Thanks for posting, this story doesn't surprise me.

I think Diggs wants to win and probably realizes his career is getting closer to winding down.  I think he took it on himself to challenge Josh on his bad habits and probably got tired of it against Cinci and perhaps also sick of McD.  Last season everyone, especially Josh,  got sick of Diggs' approach.  I definitely felt Josh was ignoring Diggs on the field when his stats were tanking. 

I love Josh but let's be real, he's very stubborn as a QB.  Doesn't always go through all his reads preferring to force the ball and God help him he throws the wide open check-down.  Obviously he's proven capable in certain games during Dorsey's time when they tried to force him to be more of a pocket QB.  But he chooses not to see the entire field regularly.

What worries me the most from this story and situation is maybe no one's holding Josh accountable anymore, not even Josh himself.  That may be the biggest window closure to the Super Bowl.

This is a ridiculously melodramatic take with almost nothing backing it up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, mannc said:

And each of those seasons exceeded anything Diggs did in Minnesota, a fact that the morons who say Diggs made Josh who he is conveniently forget. It was the opposite.

Josh is the best individual player in the league....i truly believe that.

unfortunately this is a TEAM game and josh doesn't have the best team or the best coaching supporting him.

as long as Josh is healthy, the Bills will be a Top team. we will have another WR1 soon enough

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, papazoid said:

theres no sugar coating the negative short term 2024 hit that $32 in dead cap hurts.

but there's a big long term cap savings for 2025, 2026 & 2027  ...AND a bonus early 2nd round draft pick that can be used to replace him.

diggs didn't want to be here, the bills didn't want him....it had to be done. beane did well out of a bad situation

I know just playing Devil's advocate.

40 minutes ago, papazoid said:

i think Diggs will come to regret forcing his way out of buffalo.

I dunno.  People said stuff about Diggs being an idiot to force his way out of Minnesota where he had a very consistent, 69% 70% completion QB throwing to him, to go to Buffalo where he had that young Wild Thing Josh Allen, who couldn't break 59% completion in 2 seasons and wasn't even passing for 200 ypg.

Of course, Josh worked hard on himself to totally re-work his passing motion that off season, and when the receivers got together during Covid, all of them said "you can tell he's been in the lab" (Singletary) "Josh is making throws he wouldn't try last season" (Beasley) and Diggs just thought it was fine.  So clearly any narrative around "Diggs made Josh what he is", based on Josh's jump in completion %, doesn't have the full picture.

I'm just still puzzled by the difference in opinion between Cosell, who watches tape compulsively and says definitively that Diggs is not a #1 WR at this point and he's not going to the Texans to be a #1 WR (and he's said previously the Bills don't have an elite receiver, they have a single, good receiver - so this isn't something he made up at the Bills urging after the trade) vs. the Texans giving him an extra $3.5M that, IIRC, was not fully guaranteed on his contract, it guaranteed at the start of the next league year, and all the pundits expressing doubt that Nico Collins is a #1 receiver.

19 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It's a valid point that once the league year passed the point of guaranteeing Diggs $18.5M, he acquired that leverage.

I don't remember the point at which a player can be penalized for "failure to report", though I remember thinking it was surprisingly lenient.  But then, we all saw DeSean Watson getting paid to sit on the bench and not play for one entire season by the Texans.

either way, no one’s trying to trade for a guy to force a holdout to show up against his will even if they could. 

28 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Even before Brady took over as OC, Diggs had issues.  But once Brady became OC, Diggs's production fell off considerably.  Was this the final straw for Diggs?  Did Diggs then ask to be traded?  

I think it's obvious that some people within the Bills organization weren't happy with Diggs.  But maybe their discontent wasn't enough to trade him - at least not yet, not this year.  But then Diggs demanded a trade because he didn't like his role in Brady's offense.  

I think this surely had something to do with it.

Whatever happened around the Cinci game, bled over into last year .. and then when Allen is able to keep picking his OC’s and one of them - the one we now have - clearly didn’t view getting Diggs the ball as a priority.. here we are. 

1) Something outside football happened that fractured the chemistry between Allen/Diggs.  I don’t know that for a fact, but there are too many rumors & signs of that occurring. 

2) Usage, combined with playoff stagnation.  His production dropping like a rock and we still get bounced in the Divisional.  He can point the finger at himself for this happening as well, but I’m not sure he has that kind of self reflection.   “It’s everyone else’s fault” vibes are heavy with Diggs. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

He did get a ton of targets, though. Maybe he didn't like the play designs. Or maybe he was in denial that his skills were sharply declining across the board. You have to be wise to accept that and not blame others. Diggs is anything but wise. 

• Like (+1) 1