Diggs traded to Texans for picks

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I agree, of course, that Von Miller is not a good comparison.

The only stats Diggs was top 7 in were targets and receptions.  Top 13?  Receptions/G 9th.  10th in 1D.  12th in TD.  13th in total yards.

But "Every receiving category"?  Bzzzt.  

Y/G? 17th.  

Y/R? 67th

Y/T?  69th

Catch %?  111th.

Success %?  48th.
YBC?  15th

YAC? 31st

Passer rating when targeted?  111th.

Of 29 receivers with >1000 yds, he was 23 in drop % and 25th in broken tackles.

I'm not trying to say Diggs was horrid, but he was getting paid like a top-5 WR, and his performance, viewed from that lens, wasn't good ROI.

On the other hand, for the Texans as maybe the 18th paid WR, he slots in as reasonable ROI if he has a similar season.

I think the best logic that's been used on this deal is the chap who pointed out what other, comparable age and performance WR received in trade - which was....wait for it...comparable.

And when you throw in his yearly disappearing act in the playoffs................

So it's a one year deal with Houston paying him more this year and tearing up the final 3 years of his deal?

What am I missing?

Houston traded a potentially Top 40 pick next  year for a couple Day 3 picks and a rental?.. And Diggs wants to test FA at his age 32 season?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

So it's a one year deal with Houston paying him more this year and tearing up the final 3 years of his deal?

What am I missing?

Houston traded a potentially Top 40 pick next  year for a couple Day 3 picks and a rental?.. And Diggs wants to test FA at his age 32 season?

I just heard that!

He's going to Dallas in 2025.

• Agree 3

10 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You could have just looked up the stats of his contemporaries. He was never elite even in his day. What got him to Canton was 4 SBs and an extremely long career (16 seasons) with high aggregate stats.

During his career his was never higher than 5th in receiving and hit that mark only twice (89 & 94). He was over 1300 yards both of those seasons , but his next two highest are just over 1100 and just over 1k. He was never top 5 in TDs in a season.

Andre Rison was a far better play who isnt in the HoF. So is Sterling Sharpe. Henry Ellard was arguably even better.

And you can't just look at stats to prove a point.

Diggs has been our main "target hog", since arriving.  Yes, Beasley for a couple seasons to take target share.  But we've never had a consistent run game, until this season.  Diggs had WAY more targets, of course his stats will look better.

Reed had a much stronger supporting cast, an MVP/HOF RB in Thurman who also ate alot of targets/attempts (rightfully so).  

Not to mention that Reed was one of the best YAC receivers of his era.  

Diggs is obviously great, in his own era/time with us too.

54 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, that game left us with much to think about.  KC's EZ fumble, Wide Right, etc.  That's an interesting game to look at.  It's somewhat of a conundrum.  

We ran 78 plays to their 47.  We averaged 4.7 YPP which is low, as in bottom-dwellingly low.  They averaged 7.7.  Time of Possession 37 to 23 us.  

It's befuddling to be sure.  But what was the case is that there was no shortage of short-yardage plays in that game, McD's "complimentary football" on display.  Our longest completed pass on that day was 15 yards to Diggs.  Murray also caught one for 15 but that was a short pass that he ran the rest for.  

That's Brady football as directed by McD's "complimentary football" approach.  They obviously deliberately did that.  It was similar the week prior vs. Pittsburgh.  In both games our above-average offense managed only to match the average YPP allowed on the season by both defenses.  One would think that a top-ranked offense would do better than what the opponent had allowed on average.  Miami averaged the same, the Ravens 6.3 YPP.  

Either way, get used to that approach, because whether fans realize it or not, that's what McD wants.  That's what he means when he says "complimentary football."  We know that he's not wise in the ways of offense, so the issue that many of us have with that is that, again, it's not even remotely using Allen to maximize his contributions other than his rushing.  Allen posted 189 and 186 yards passing in those two games.  I'm not sure what anyone expects in terms of WR production when there's an average of 34 attempts in both games, and an average of 23 total completions.  That's not a lot of balls for receivers to gain the kind of yardage from that everyone's critical of us not getting.  

Under Brady, in 6 of 9 games Allen hasn't exceeded 240 yards passing.  He's averaged 33 attempts/game, for a bottom-dwelling 60.7% under Brady, his worst for any significant stretch of games since 2019.  That was with receivers he's known and played with for several seasons.  

He's going to get worn out playing like that.  Averaging 9 carries/game under Brady he'd average about 150 carries on the season.  If he doesn't do that, who's going to run the ball on 3rd-downs?  He took more 3rd-down carries than the rest of the team combined with 43.  Those are typically the toughest yards to get.  Cook had 4, all season.  Murray had the second most with 20, but averaged a mere 2.0 on those.  Is he still with us?  

Anyway, that's how we played under Brady.  IMO it's not sustainable over an entire season to have your QB run that much, and now, particularly since our receivers won't exactly be inducing fear in the minds of the DCs and defenses that we face.  It's easy to say that we'll adjust by doing [such and such] but it's more difficult in practice.  McD isn't for being a great Adjustments coach, and will he even try to adjust from something that he's forcing to begin with is the question.  

We'll see if the Draft changes anything, but as of now the only significant picks that we have that even realistically sniff at a hint of making a rookie impact are 28th and 60th.  The rest are day-2 fodder picks.  On top of that, Beane's track record with rookie production isn't great.  Kincaid did better but still didn't match the hype.  Torrence was good too, but we need WRs now.  

To be fair Allen launched three deep balls which on most weekends in the NFL would have been caught. Both the WR's that couldn't make those catches are gone.  If they catch 2 of those 3 shots we win that game.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You could have just looked up the stats of his contemporaries. He was never elite even in his day. What got him to Canton was 4 SBs and an extremely long career (16 seasons) with high aggregate stats.

During his career his was never higher than 5th in receiving and hit that mark only twice (89 & 94). He was over 1300 yards both of those seasons , but his next two highest are just over 1100 and just over 1k. He was never top 5 in TDs in a season.

Andre Rison was a far better play who isnt in the HoF. So is Sterling Sharpe. Henry Ellard was arguably even better.

Dude.  Does the phrase "over the middle" have meaning for you? 

Do you actually understand what routes Reed ran and what his role was, on the team?

Hint: James Lofton was the boundary.

You sure are super selective about how you look at stats.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

What am I missing?

Beane playing 3D chess and bringing Diggs back on vet minimum in 2025 😆

• Haha (+1) 1

Adam shefter just said on NFL live that Huston has agreed to void the final years of Diggs contract, making him a free agent next year.

Can’t believe the Texans gave up a 2nd for a 1 year rental!! Diggs is 100% going to Dallas next year, I guess they will get a comp pick back but won’t be more than a 5th probably based on Diggs being 32 next year and only really negotiating with one team for his next contract. 

Edited by 0017
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I would love to be a fly on the wall and know whether that was the plan all along, dating from the post-season player performance review, or if something else has happened.  

One example of this kind of long term thinking would be when the Bills moved on from Marcell Dareus.  There the Bills were, 6 games into the 2017 season. 

It was obvious that McDermott and Beane were not long-term fans, but he was playing.  He'd missed a game when injured, came back, was back up to 57% of the snaps and seemed (to me) to make a difference in gap integrity on run defense.  They'd inherited him on a 6 year, $60 million contract extension signed in 2015, so they were on Year 3 of it.

All of a sudden, he was off to Jax for a conditional 6th that turned into a 5th round pick while the Bills ate a chunk of dead cap.  He played all season for Jax AND arguably helped them beat us in the playoffs (yeah, he had 4 tackles, but that wasn't his job).  Beane and McDermott even alluded after the season that McDermott had not necessarily agreed with the decision to trade Dareus when we did - it didn't make our defense better - but "understood the reasoning" after they talked.

I do believe, and this is just my speculation, that there was something said to Diggs in the exit interview about potentially moving on. I remember after the season he was on an interview and said something to the effect of being "prepared for whatever happened" when asked about his future in Buffalo. 

Of course, this could also be where Diggs asked to move on and was told "we'll see". Again, speculation but I think it fits. 

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Dude.  Does the phrase "over the middle" have meaning for you? 

Do you actually understand what routes Reed ran and what his role was, on the team?

Hint: James Lofton was the boundary.

You sure are super selective about how you look at stats.

Of course it does, but he was a role player, and a very good one, just not some all-time elite player that folks make him out to be. He wasn't a top player when he played and he wasn't anywhere near Diggs level. I'm not the one that started this argument but all the folks who insist on turning it into a good thing that our #1 WR is now Curtis Samuel insist on digging the hole deeper.

We'll survive without Diggs, but the narrative and agenda being created here is WILD. The whole thing is a joke honestly.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, 0017 said:

Can’t believe the Texans gave up a 2nd for a 1 year rental!! Diggs is 100% going to Dallas next year, I guess they will get a comp pick back but won’t be more than a 5th probably based on Diggs being 32 next year and only really negotiating with one team for his next contract. 

Diggs is signed through next year as well. If he goes to Dallas it would be by way of trade or that he's cut. If he's released, he would not be eligible for the comp pick formula 

4 minutes ago, 0017 said:

I can cause Houston is going all in to win this year.  

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

Diggs is signed through next year as well. If he goes to Dallas it would be by way of trade or that he's cut. If he's released, he would not be eligible for the comp pick formula 

Texans just announced they voided the final years of his contact 😱

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Diggs has 4 years left on his contract.... this really isn't a rental situation. 

HOU can cut/trade him at any time with no dead cap 

Edited by DabillsDaBillsDaBills
I was wrong, HOU voided the final 3 years of his contract
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And when you throw in his yearly disappearing act in the playoffs................

To me, that's the clincher.

In 2020, he was AMAZEBALLS in the playoffs.  Deadly.  Lights out.

In 2021, he was OK against NE but 3 of 6 for 7 yards in the "13 seconds" game.  

In 2022, when he slumped in the 2nd half of the season, 4 of 10 for 35 yds in the Bengals debacle.  

In 2023, similar 2nd half slump, 3 of 8 for 21 yards in the KC loss.  

Once is an occurance, twice could be a coincidence, three times is a pattern.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Diggs has 4 years left on his contract.... this really isn't a rental situation. 

Not quite correct.  He is due $19M in roster, workout, and salary.  His $18.5M salary is fully guaranteed.  So if Houston cuts him this season, they owe him $18.5M or whatever fraction of $18.5M he has not yet been paid in per-game salary checks.

1 minute ago, syhuang said:

All right, scratch that.  If Houston cuts him this season, they owe him $22.5M or whatever fraction of $22.5M he has not yet been paid in per-game salary checks.

Okay, Then.

Edited by Beck Water

If I'm a Houston fan.. I'm not exactly loving this deal now.  

Even at 18M or whatever per year, they had control of Diggs for multiple years on what essentially becomes team options given the lack of guaranteed money. 

Now it's a rental.. for the Vikings '25 RD2 pick with some Day 3 picks in return.

Steep price.

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Even at 18M or whatever per year, they had control of Diggs for multiple years on what essentially becomes team options given the lack of guaranteed money. 

Now it's a rental.. for the Vikings '25 RD2 pick with some Day 3 picks in return.

Steep price.

Not if they win a Super Bowl. 

9 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Of course it does, but he was a role player, and a very good one, just not some all-time elite player that folks make him out to be. He wasn't a top player when he played and he wasn't anywhere near Diggs level. I'm not the one that started this argument but all the folks who insist on turning it into a good thing that our #1 WR is now Curtis Samuel insist on digging the hole deeper.

We'll survive without Diggs, but the narrative and agenda being created here is WILD. The whole thing is a joke honestly.

He was a 7 time Pro Bowler in a era where Pro Bowl meant something.  He was a 2 time Second Team All Pro.  4 Time All AFC Team.  Yes, he was a top player.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

To me, that's the clincher.

In 2020, he was AMAZEBALLS in the playoffs.  Deadly.  Lights out.

In 2021, he was OK against NE but 3 of 6 for 7 yards in the "13 seconds" game.  

In 2022, when he slumped in the 2nd half of the season, 4 of 10 for 35 yds in the Bengals debacle.  

In 2023, similar 2nd half slump, 3 of 8 for 21 yards in the KC loss.  

Once is an occurance, twice could be a coincidence, three times is a pattern.

It looked to me that somewhere along the way, he lost his drive, his passion or even his willingness to even be a part of this team. He always looked fairly dominant throughout the season, but when the post-season came along, complete vanishing act.....and then he has the balls to stand on the sidelines and yell at JA or stand in the endzone with his arms in the air that he wasn't targeted. 

I, for one, am happy he's gone.......i didn't really like him in Minny and hated even more when he came over to us......and i just thought, "really?!?.....is this really the best we can do?"

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Steep price.

You should love it as a Texans fan. Diggs is going to be a nice addition to Nico Collins, and Tank Dell.  He won't be the focal point of that offense so he should do better. If he has an attitude or sucks this season he can be a Cowboy next season. Not locked into a problem child. 

Seems like when Diggs doesn't want to be with a team he doesn't stay...and he was getting ready to be a problem again in Buffalo.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

No but he does make the receiving group much better than it was before. Honestly I hope he excels. 

I don't because of the way he carried himself these last two years, the cryptic nonsense. The Texans better stay on his good side.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

You should love it as a Texans fan. Diggs is going to be a nice addition to Nico Collins, and Tank Dell.  He won't be the focal point of that offense so he should do better. If he has an attitude or sucks this season he can be a Cowboy next season. Not locked into a problem child. 

Seems like when Diggs doesn't want to be with a team he doesn't stay...and he was getting ready to be a problem again in Buffalo.

Were they ever locked into it though?  There wasn't much guaranteed money left on his deal after this year.  It essentially became year to year options at 18M.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems to be how it was presented before they tore it up. 

14 minutes ago, syhuang said:

From the article:

“With the contract adjustment, the Texans now anticipate getting the best version of Stefon Diggs, who will be in position to negotiate another long-term contract next offseason.“

Apparently they understand him already.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Augie said:

From the article:

“With the contract adjustment, the Texans now anticipate getting the best version of Stefon Diggs, who will be in position to negotiate another long-term contract next offseason.“

Well, if Minny and the Bills are any barometer, it's not hard to forecast the future with this man.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't because of the way he carried himself these last two years, the cryptic nonsense. The Texans better stay on his good side.

I'm sure he will be on his best behavior the first season. If they get to a Super Bowl or win it this season with him a loss of a 2nd round pick would be worth it. 

It's a good long term move and a bad short term one. And in a league where decisions are judged frequently by how things are impacting the right here right now the Texans are going to get all the praise here and the Bills are getting the short end of the stick most of the time. 

But looking at this from a long term perspective I think the Bills made the right move. They not only acquire a premium draft pick (a pick likely to be in the top 10 of the second round) but also free up a lot of cap space. Pundits are saying "the Bills are eating 31 million in dead cap" yeah but that money would have already been tied up with Diggs this year anyway. They were already paying Diggs 27ish million this year so that's kind of already a sunk cost. So it amounts to the Bills taking on a small additional dead cap hit this season (about 3-4 million from what I am reading) to both acquire a premium draft selection (a likely high second swapped for a 5th and 6th) and put themselves in a much better situation with salary cap space going forward. 

The Texans due to having Stroud on a rookie deal for 3 more years plus a 5th year option are in a position to take on risk. If Diggs has 2 more elite years left they will be happy even if it means overpaying him in 2026 and taking a small dead cap charge in 2027 along with giving up a good pick. If Diggs has 1 more elite year left and then declines the Texans probably won't be happy having to overpay him in 2025 and take a big cap hit in 2026 but they can stomach that risk and still be a competitive team. Then the upside of Diggs having 3 or less likely 4 elite seasons left would certainly be worth it for the Texans. Even if Diggs is a complete disaster there and declines in 2024 the Texans can absorb the risk and still make other moves. 

Whereas the Bills are looking at really sandbagging their team for years if Diggs can't give them at least 2 more elite seasons. The Bills made the move of probably getting rid of a player a year too early which is what prudent front offices do. Toss in the off-field stuff and the Bills getting a premium pick and a ton of future cap space and it makes sense for the Bills to just draft a couple of WR's one early and one in the mid-rounds in a WR rich draft and go forward from there. 

7 minutes ago, sonyab1974 said:

Yeah wow! It's shocking to me! I did not see that one coming. Josh Allen better not be leaving!!!

If Josh wanted Diggs to stay he would be here. I think Diggs wore thin on Josh and he gave the green light for them to trade him. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Nope Rental. Hou redid his contract. Gave him a raise and made the contract 1 year. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

From the article:

Which means he may be even more desperate for targets and flip out when the other guys get them

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Steep price.

I actually love it more if I am a Houston fan. Their risk is fairly low. If Diggs balls out and has an elite season he's going to be a 32 year old free agent he's not going to command a huge 3+ year deal. WR's usually don't have many prime seasons left after age 33. The Texans can still get a 5th round comp pick for him which would amount to the Texans trading a 2nd round pick from Minny for a 6th round pick, two 5th round picks and an elite year of WR play. 

What I would have feared if I were the Texans was Diggs declining rapidly in 2024 or 2025 and the Texans having to take a big hit on the cap to dump him or have him be an overpaid role player for a season. Now that fear is largely eliminated.

• Like (+1) 1