Diggs traded to Texans for picks

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I can't say that's true for me (the "eager to put my boot on it" part).

I was surprised, taken aback, and I feel that the Bills are a worse team today than they were yesterday.

Brandon Beane agrees that we’re probably a little worse talent wise, and would still prefer to pay an extra $3M to show Diggs the door.

That’s enough for me to say good riddance.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Watching the Buffalo Miami game on nfl network right now. Game is in early Oct 2023.

Diggs is tearing it up.

I'm going to miss him

Sad Anthony Anderson GIF

Speaking of boots, that is probably the game that earned a boot in the butt for Vic Fangio and a shot at DC for Anthony Weaver.  More to it of course, but he stubbornly kept Kader Kohou on Diggs when it was clear he might have achieved better coverage on Diggs with a Dolphins Cheerleader.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

I don't know how much this hurts us as a team this season, but I do know those that are now ripping Diggs performance in the last half of the season and in the playoffs since he's no longer a Bill are probably not thinking about the attention he was getting which allowed guys like Shakir to make plays. That stuff matters, and now those players will have more attention coming their way. Just putting things in perspective a bit 

Another thing I want to comment on is that Beane has really done something very unlike him...which is to paint himself into a corner in the draft. Now the Bills have made it blatantly obvious that we need to draft wideouts, and early at that. What I'd like to see is for him to stand pat and draft a Legette, Mitchell, or Keon Coleman if he feels they are worthy of the spot they would be selected.

If Beane does decide to move up, then he better be absolutely positive he's getting a star because it's going to cost us alot this year and probably next as well

Beane also better hope the Texans don't beat us and advance further in the playoffs. That will make things even more embarrassing for a franchise that doesn't need anymore of that

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I was surprised, taken aback, and I feel that the Bills are a worse team today than they were yesterday.

It may be necessary surgery, I'm not in a position to judge.

This was a long time coming 

and imo the definition of addition by subtraction 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It may be necessary surgery, I'm not in a position to judge.

Fair enough and I was making a collective judgment about this board's sentiment. I am usually not condescending to any player, let alone a Bills ex-player. But clearly Diggs had over-stayed his welcome and it is now evident that many of us (me included) dont feel the tinge of sadness that they did with the other players this offseason. 

4 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Fair enough and I was making a collective judgment about this board's sentiment. I am usually not condescending to any player, let alone a Bills ex-player. But clearly Diggs had over-stayed his welcome and it is now evident that many of us (me included) dont feel the tinge of sadness that they did with the other players this offseason. 

The "tinge of sadness" part is true.  I thought Morse seemed like 100% stand up guy, classy, took responsibility, but also came across as speaking his mind ("we've been yelling at that ***** to slide!").  Tre' White was a treasure.

Diggs did come across as petulant on the sidelines and certainly unwilling to fulfill his league-mandated press responsibilities, so I don't feel that "damn, we let a Good Man walk out of the room!"

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Until BB goes DL DL in the first two rounds.

Oh, you're Evil.  Evil, I tell you, Evil.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

spend the last year actively forcing your way out then play the good guy out the door is very on brand 

and some will eat it up

Of course they will

They see him hyping up teammates when he knows the camera's on and thought he was a leader

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

spend the last year actively forcing your way out then play the good guy out the door is very on brand 

and some will eat it up

Well, it's better than a kick in the teeth, but it reads to me as though it were carefully crafted by his own and/or the Bills PR team.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

I don't know how much this hurts us as a team this season, but I do know those that are now ripping Diggs performance in the last half of the season and in the playoffs since he's no longer a Bill are probably not thinking about the attention he was getting which allowed guys like Shakir to make plays. That stuff matters, and now those players will have more attention coming their way. Just putting things in perspective a bit 

Another thing I want to comment on is that Beane has really done something very unlike him...which is to paint himself into a corner in the draft. Now the Bills have made it blatantly obvious that we need to draft wideouts, and early at that. What I'd like to see is for him to stand pat and draft a Legette, Mitchell, or Keon Coleman if he feels they are worthy of the spot they would be selected.

If Beane does decide to move up, then he better be absolutely positive he's getting a star because it's going to cost us alot this year and probably next as well

Beane also better hope the Texans don't beat us and advance further in the playoffs. That will make things even more embarrassing for a franchise that doesn't need anymore of that

Stop questioning Beane so much. Just enjoy the ride. 

7 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

ALL OF THE ABOVE!

This was a rube move made by a Rookie GM. 

Gap Diggs?

okay?

But don’t give him away for a few used GOAT deflated balls, cost your team a fortune, get nada in return and most importantly- do it BEFORE the Draft, rather than disguising it during!

Thereby getting the entire NFL to laugh at you when you come calling to move down for Odunze! And you better be getting an Odunze type after this situational FUBAR!

• Eyeroll 3
  • Dislike 2

12 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

DC’s weren’t sweating Diggs 40 YPG output near the end there.

Sneed gets put on Diggs and erases him for 4 Q’s. He’s closer to an afterthought than you think. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well, it's better than a kick in the teeth, but it reads to me as though it were carefully crafted by his own and/or the Bills PR team.

go read his Minnesota one- basically the same exact template. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Gap Diggs?

okay?

But don’t give him away for a few used GOAT deflated balls, cost your team a fortune, get nada in return and most importantly- do it BEFORE the Draft, rather than disguising it during!

Thereby getting the entire NFL to laugh at you when you come calling to move down for Odunze! And you better be getting an Odunze type after this situational FUBAR!

This is what ive been saying. If im a possible trade partner with the bills….my price just went up. The bills no longer “want” a wide receiver. They “need” a wide reciever. 

Perhaps Maddy Gladd was right on the hot mic, the declining production last year, being invisible in the playoffs, flipping out during the Cin loss, the tweets, wrong side of 30, an enormous cap hit coupled with McD being very concerned and scraping the toothpaste back into the tube after minicamp = it was time to move on in a heavy WR draft class and get the value while you can

These comments from BBB stand out...

“but Stef’s a very competitive guy and I wouldn’t want to change that for him. I don’t think that was something — when we acquired him, I think we were very aware of his competitive nature. …

“You don’t want to get into every reason you make every move,” Beane said. “It’s not one thing with any player. We’ve traded other players here, we’ve acquired other players, him being one. Everything you do, you think is the best decision. You weigh the pros and the cons of every decision like this. We don’t take it lightly. But you always make it in the best decision of the Bills. And that’s what we’re trying to do here.

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Exactly.  The clown got what he wanted, good riddance. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/3/2024 at 7:31 PM, Seventeen said:

Trading Diggs just solidifies Beane taking WR in the 1st round and possibly moving up to do so - unless he's playing 4-D chess with a trade coming to replace Diggs.

Beane has been a step ahead of the fans, media and so called experts all off-season.  

He signed Samuel which made zero sense to me at the time, if the intent was to keep Shakir in the slot.  However then I did a physical comparison between Diggs and Shakir and then compared their explosive plays and I realized that Beane may try Shakir on the outside.  I still didn't love the Samuel signing because I felt we needed at least one big and fast receiver to replace Davis.  I didn't make sense to me that you'd draft a guy like Mitchell or Worthy to not give them an immediate opportunity to start. However, now Diggs is gone and the master plan is revealed.  Shakir replaces Diggs, Samuel replaces Shakir in the slot, the 28th pick will be used on a Davis replacement and Kincaid will become a huge focal point of the offense.   

With Diggs, Davis, Harty and Sherfield gone, there are about 300 targets up for grabs. It will be interesting to see of Brady and Allen distribute those targets.  Brady had 4 guys with 1000+ yards from scrimmage in his year in Carolina (Samuel, RB Davis and 2 other WRs).  How many will be have in an offense more evenly featuring 5 good to excellent playmakers rather than just Diggs and the RB?

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Gap Diggs?

okay?

I'm not sure how you can be so clueless.  Diggs is on a spiral athletically.  Over 30.  Go.look at the trade value for Keenan Allen and Cooper and compare.  I will be shocked if Diggs returns to pre week 8 stats from last year.  The compensation is where it should be, if not better than I thought the Bills would get.

Edited by Dablitzkrieg

28 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

But why SHOULD Houston do that? What's his leverage? His extension JUST kicked in. Houston did not pay all that much to acquire him if you correctly downgrade future years' draft picks a round.

Essentially, Houston got Stefon Diggs plus two 6th round picks all for one 3rd round pick. Not bad. No reason to sink more than Diggs' already handsome annual salaries into the transaction, considering the WR's age and the consecutive seasons' 2nd half drop-offs. Getting more than a productive 2024 out of him would be wishful thinking tbh. 

2nd round pick

One of my favorites of all time and such a talented player. Contract and production and drama made it the kind of thing that was likely to have to end at some point but it feels a year too soon for me. 

getting pick #33 next year (when we gave up #22 to get him) and another cost controlled talent into the roster with it helps, but we have to draft smart this year to find ready to contribute players at a position that often has a learning curve.

We all want a big splash with a name we know, but remember trading up for Watkins while Odell was there at 12. 

Pro bowl receivers are available 1-10, 11-20, 21-30 and aren’t always the first guys picked. Not sure if there is anything left in free agency or trade to help.

16 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

As to the bolded, I'm pretty sure it's NOT true that Diggs' decline in production was the result of double-teams. Defenses definitely shaded his way with a safety at times, but what I recall neutralizing him the most was the physical, press-man attention he got from #1 corners.

Whereas he used to often win against aggressive, press-man coverage, he has had more difficulty doing so in the past two years (and the past two post-seasons against KC in particular). Then last year we also saw some misses when Diggs DID defeat his coverage. Some of those misfires were on Allen at times, no doubt, but down the stretch and in the playoffs we were watching a diminished Diggs drop balls and lose contested catch situations. Those misfires were season-altering.

• Agree 4

I will say that the Texans on paper have quite an offense. I will also say they’re playing a dangerous game imo. 

They have a clearly ascending player in CJ Stroud going into his second year and looks like a future star. The dangerous game is they added two players who are known as malcontents in Diggs and Mixon surrounding him who can wear and take a toll on a young QB and team of things aren’t going their way. 

• Dislike 1

One read, "If I can't make it with you, I'll make it without." Another: "You know what they say ... what goes around comes around." The low point came in the days after a September 2019 loss to the Bears, when Diggs skipped work without an excuse, drawing a $200,000 fine from the team. 

Looking back now, Diggs offers a halfhearted explanation for the social posts “Some of those were song lyrics" and says, "I don't necessarily regret" blowing off a practice and some team meetings, although "maybe part of me wishes I had that money back." 

In the end, Diggs says he just felt trapped. "That was my only way of saying something at that time," he says. "I just didn't feel like I had that belief from them anymore, you know?"

get ready. He won’t trash Buffalo but it’ll be the honeymoon period in houston and he will be a very well behaved leader with a few odd but not overtly insulting remarks about his challenges here sprinkled in… how he loved it but was just time. Stroud will be his new guy he’s so thankful for. Texans fans will say we are crazy for thinking he’s a handful. 

• Like (+1) 3

I’m a big believer in that a true number one wide receiver should fit one of these two profiles… 

1) A legit deep threat (Hill, Lamb,  Wilson) 
2) A big target that battles for contested balls (Evans, Metcalf, Adams)

If you don’t fit one of those profiles, you can still be a very high level receiver, but you’re not a true number one. Stefon Diggs was not either of those things anymore. At one point in his prime, he was a deep threat. He is not that and has not been that for the last couple of seasons. He became a top-of-the-line possession receiver. Which is great! And those are certainly needed. But possession WR’s are not number one receivers in my opinion.

It was time for him to go for his actions off the field and his lack of on the field. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, NoSaint said:

One read, "If I can't make it with you, I'll make it without." Another: "You know what they say ... what goes around comes around." The low point came in the days after a September 2019 loss to the Bears, when Diggs skipped work without an excuse, drawing a $200,000 fine from the team. 

Looking back now, Diggs offers a halfhearted explanation for the social posts “Some of those were song lyrics" and says, "I don't necessarily regret" blowing off a practice and some team meetings, although "maybe part of me wishes I had that money back." 

In the end, Diggs says he just felt trapped. "That was my only way of saying something at that time," he says. "I just didn't feel like I had that belief from them anymore, you know?"

get ready. He won’t trash Buffalo but it’ll be the honeymoon period in houston and he will be a very well behaved leader with a few odd but not overtly insulting remarks about his challenges here sprinkled in… how he loved it but was just time. Stroud will be his new guy he’s so thankful for. Texans fans will say we are crazy for thinking he’s a handful. 

frankly, I don’t care what he does in Houston. He wanted his time to be done here. Go find a couple guys that mesh with Allen and light up the A-BOMB Offense

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, FireChans said:

the Miller contract was a risk, but it wasn’t one that I hated. Looks bad because it didn’t work.

Beane has a habit of just missing out on making the right move, and doubling down to try to make it again later. 

He tried to trade for Sanders/Diggs and failed. He then traded for Diggs the next offseason and brought in Sanders a year later (when he was washed.)

We were in the market for a big run stuffing Loutotototo who we grossly overpaid. Then chased DJ Reader and got outbid because we had the tub of goo already making too much money. 

We tried to be in on Von Miller when he got traded to the Rams and was huge in their ring run. (My hot take is if Beane had made that trade, 13 seconds never happens and we go to the SB). Of course, missed him and chases him in FA the next offseason.

Day late and dollar short should be Beane’s nickname. He’s got good ideas, but we just can’t quite pull them off perfectly.

100%. This reminds me of so many great threads a dozen years ago with a few still here and a few who have left just bringing up these home run points over and over again.

We doubled down on Poyer and Hyde with no plan to replace them, too. 

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

We taking Brock Bowers with that?

Hopefully things change, but it seems like most have the 3 QB’s and 3 WR’s going 1-6.

Let’s all do our part and hype up JJ McCarthy. 

If we can’t get one of the big 3, I don’t have much of an appetite trading up for Brian Thomas .. just double up at WR early if we want to burn next year RD1. 

A run of 3 QBs and 3 WRs in the first 6 picks would be unprecedented. Not saying it won't happen, but highly unlikely.

29 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Gap Diggs?

okay?

Couple drinks tonight?

Ever watch a QB constantly target a WR and nobody can stop it...kinda like Mahomes to Tyreek Hill or TE Travis Kelec? 

Buffalo needs a WR / TE that can get open and catch the ball no matter who is covering them like the two above. Diggs was good, but he wasn't that guy. Look at his stats in the playoffs the last few seasons and he does nothing in those games. Not worth 24 million a year to disappear in the playoffs.

From Jerry Jabber:

There’s a saying in the NFL, you’re only as good as your last game. Here’s Diggs’ stats in the last four playoff losses.

6 rec, 77 yards, 0 TD

3 rec, 7 yards, 0 TD

4 rec, 35 yards, 0 TD

3 rec, 21 yards, 0 TD

Beane has a plan! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Diggs was only going to be a liability and a cancer to this team this year.  He had his play fall off the entire 2nd half of the season last year and that dropped pass in the playoff game to KC was the last straw for me.   You want to be the man then you have act like the man and ball out, he did not.  He also acted like a spoiled child on and off the field,  and on social media.

Any WR we get this year in the draft will equal or give us some youth at the position that was sorely lacking on this team, and speed.

Beane better have his Sh** together in this draft and not screw this draft up.  WR#1 needs to happen in round #1 no matter what position we pick from.  

Its really funny how I said last year we did not get any better as a team accept for Kincaid we were too old and slow at too many positions, and we way overpaid for certain players, and players that could not start or play up to their contracts cost.  I was expecting a mini purge last year.  

So the player turnover I predicted last year was delayed just 1 year and the CAP situation was fuel for it.   Which honestly this team needed.  Just dumbfounded how McD has survived though all of this.

Edited by Toyo321