Diggs traded to Texans for picks

10 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

The point is that Stroud already has more talent at WR around him than Allen's ever had.  

Tank Dell had as good a rookie season as Samuel's ever had, slightly better.  Nico Collins is likely to be among the league's best next season.  Throw in Diggs, and when at 31 Robert Woods is your 4/5, you're lookin' pretty good.  

Stroud was incredibly impressive this past season.  It's early, and it's Ryan's second season as a HC, but it shouldn't be unrealistic to consider that Houston dominates that division for the foreseeable future.  And if all that Ryan does with that troop is see early exits from the playoffs for four or five seasons, I don't expect that he'll be kept on.  

Absolutely. Don’t disagree with you there bro. My only point was that they’re not specifically building a team around Stroud. They’re simply building a team. They had decent building blocks on offense and defensive and absolutely hit a home run on Stroud and Anderson. Key pieces for either side of the ball. 

It was said in the run up to the end of the regular season and playoffs that teams are going to start following that model.

This year they’ve seemed to invest heavily on the defensive side, not that different or what we did here when Allen started taking off. A key piece here or there in the draft and they’re good. Maybe it works out for Houston? The higher draft picks didn’t work out for us as much as one would have hoped since Josh’s second year. 

Houston will dominate that unless Lawrence and the Jags do a 180° and Richardson and the Colts stay healthy.

No disrespect to Tennessee but you can count them out for the foreseeable future. 

Credit to Nick Caserio more than DeMeco Ryans IMO. Dude inherited an absolute mess thanks to Bill O’Brien and Jack Easterby. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Our playoff wins haven't depended upon Diggs.   They've depended upon playing QBs like Skylar Thompson, Mason Rudolph, Mac Jones, a 39-year old Rivers in his last game ever, and in the case of the Ravens, a defense that had to defend a team who's top WR was Marquise Brown and whose leading rusher was their QB, otherwise JK Dobbins.  Otherwise we can't win any playoff games.  

3 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Absolutely. Don’t disagree with you there bro. My only point was that they’re not specifically building a team around Stroud. They’re simply building a team. They had decent building blocks on offense and defensive and absolutely hit a home run on Stroud and Anderson. Key pieces for either side of the ball. 

It was said in the run up to the end of the regular season and playoffs that teams are going to start following that model.

This year they’ve seemed to invest heavily on the defensive side, not that different or what we did here when Allen started taking off. A key piece here or there in the draft and they’re good. Maybe it works out for Houston? The higher draft picks didn’t work out for us as much as one would have hoped since Josh’s second year. 

Houston will dominate that unless Lawrence and the Jags do a 180° and Richardson and the Colts stay healthy.

No disrespect to Tennessee but you can count them out for the foreseeable future. 

Credit to Nick Caserio more than DeMeco Ryans IMO. Dude inherited an absolute mess thanks to Bill O’Brien and Jack Easterby. 

Pretty much agree with you there.  Let's also contrast Caserio with Beane.  

• Vomit 2

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Our playoff wins haven't depended upon Diggs.   They've depended upon playing QBs like Skylar Thompson, Mason Rudolph, Mac Jones, a 39-year old Rivers in his last game ever, and in the case of the Ravens, a defense that had to defend a team who's top WR was Marquise Brown and whose leading rusher was their QB, otherwise JK Dobbins.  Otherwise we can't win any playoff games.  

Holy run on sentence to make something fit your narrative, Batman. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Yeah, we really suck and you should find another team! 🤪

• Eyeroll 1

20 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

I'll play devil's advocate on the bolded. Why is that necessarily a great thing? Are you saying Josh's decision-making is infallible? We know that's not exactly true.

Who are the new leaders that Josh will look to for feedback on team-wide culture stuff? 

Don't discount the importance of a strong leadership team

I agree that it's an important step for Josh to make, as McDermott recently put it, become the face of the franchise. This move solidifies this as Josh's team. Now Josh needs to take the bull by the horns and demand excellence from his offense. With Diggs there, Josh would never of been able to do that.

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Football wise...I am EXCITED about the roles of Shakir and Kincaid expanding.  Management wise, I am puzzled why we didn't do this after June 1st and lessen the cap burden given we didn't get back any draft capital in this draft.  

I am actually not that concerned about the offense, I think we will still be an elite offense, I mean we were last year and went 6-1 with our WR1 and WR2 producing very little in that time last year.  

I just don't understand the timing if we didn't get a pick in this draft.

Because maybe Houston wanted it settled before the draft. 

3 hours ago, Freak-O said:

Yeah, we really suck and you should find another team! 🤪

Yeah, sorry for being disappointed that we've underachieved during the McBeane era with one of the seemingly greatest QBs to play the game. 

I'll try to tone down my expectations to merely being ecstatic to have a team in Buffalo and "making the playoffs."  My bad.  

I guess I'll have to hold out hope that our next QB is better than Allen so that we can do a little better come playoff time.  

This notion that the Chiefs are unbeatable is built for homers.  The Pats beat them, the Bucs who hadn't done a thing with what, a 44-year old QB, and so did the Bengals.  But hey, who's looking at the details.  What a defeatest attitude by those blathering on about how we'll never beat KC as long as Mahomes is their QB and Reid their coach.  

Either way, call me crazy for expecting more.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

Holy ignoring of reality for our team.  

;) 

Said Every Chiefs fan prior to the start of last year, at the 1/4th point of the season, at the 1/2 way point, at the 3/4ths point, and the start of the playoffs. 

Just now, Mikie2times said:

Said Every Chiefs fan prior to the start of last year, at the 1/4th point of the season, at the 1/2 way point, at the 3/4ths point, and the start of the playoffs. 

And yet ... 

Yeah, sorry for being disappointed that we've underachieved during the McBeane era with one of the seemingly greatest QBs to play the game. 

I'll try to tone down my expectations to merely being ecstatic to have a team in Buffalo and "making the playoffs."  My bad.  

I guess I'll have to hold out hope that our next QB is better than Allen so that we can do a little better come playoff time.  

This notion that the Chiefs are unbeatable is built for homers.  The Eagles beat them, the Bucs who hadn't done a thing with what, a 44-year old QB, and so did the Bengals.  But hey, who's looking at the details.  What a defeatest attitude by those blathering on about how we'll never beat KC as long as Mahomes is their QB and Reid their coach.  

Either way, call me crazy for expecting more.  

So lets run it back, that should work

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Oh come on. The defense is the cause of the loss to Chiefs x 2 and the Texans.  It was not Diggs. 

Diggs was the worst player on the offense vs the Chiefs this year. He dropped more than he caught and most especially the dropping of the bomb pass was the worst drop for Buffalo since Ronnie Harmon. Diggs is at best the third best receiver I have seen far behind Reed and Moulds but acted like he owned the playoff records while it is Moulds and Davis who really did.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

He wants to be the number 1 in targets and is an attention seeker. He won plenty in Buffalo but that didn't stop his antics. 

Texans are a good and upcoming team and imo, he provides experience but won't be a needle mover for them 

A tiger doesn't change his stripes. We will see but I wouldn't bet on Diggs suddenly becoming a team player. 

oh this year will be totally “best qb I ever played for, what a spectacular coaching staff”

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Seems like it’s going to be similar scenarios across the board. Defensive coach which makes the team gravitate defensive the majority of the way whilst they have a grand slam HR @ QB on a rookie deal. 

Even though they’re in the AFC, hopefully they don’t do what they did here and leave it a little too late to address additions to the offense. 

Only difference is they have a decent OLine in place and under contract for the next 3 years…

Yeah. The P/O wins aren’t that great for the exact reasons you’ve suggested. And you hit the nail on the head, out-with the Miami game we haven’t depended on Diggs. Had a feeling they were moving on from him within the next few years, thought it would be when there’s at least a “#2” WR in place. 

Maybe this forces their hand more to actually give the offense as many components as it can/has given the defense over the last few years… 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Are you basically saying the Ravens offense wasn’t good that year?  Yes or no the Ravens were 7th in the league scoring that year? 

9 hours ago, bills6969 said:

We better trade this pick to move up and draft one of the top WRs

This draft is deep for the WR position.  The Bills should let them have the draft come to them.  I am sure they can get a George Pickens type player in Rd 2.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

If I'm not mistaken, the Bils could get to $50-$75 million-ish under the cap for next offseason.  Maybe more depending on von Miller and knox's status

100% spot on.

Beane has been saying the word "reset", in terms of cap space many times this offseason.  Take our medicine in 2024.

If we can hit on a WR, or even 2, this draft...then we can have a very successful 2024 and setup 2025 as a chance to be really aggressive.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I think the value on that is a little off.

Assuming this years picks (1700 for p5 and 660 for p28).  And also assuming the futures are the last pick value of the round (590 and 270), that value is 1520 to 1700.

to be fair you are using 30 year old values 

that said, I’d give quite a bit for a $25-30m wr on a rookie deal for 4 years, whichever guy that may be. 

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

to anyone who said that meant nothing….

You sure?

wild how many people acted like his comments were totally benign and totally misrepresented 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Your schtick is boring 

Be a McDermott fan boy if you want. Others on here agree with me

As for my other points, is the failure to adequately address the OL an unfair criticism? 

The only redeeming factor for Epenesa is he is only 25. He had 2.5 sacks in the final ten weeks of the year. Again started the season strong and was a non-factor the rest of the way. He had 1 tackle and no sacks in 2023 playoffs. Terrible decision to bring him back.

I've generally given Beane high marks for his off-season moves. 

As he said today, the Bills are worse today after this move. If he thinks Shakir, Kincaid, and Samuel can replace Diggs as he was implying he is insane. But he is lying. He will trade up and draft a WR. That is his MO. He burns picks to move up and get a guy he wants. The only thing left to be seen is how much he gives up and how high he goes up. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

IDK about that

I think Stroud will likely be more successful than Allen long term.

I was hugely impressed with Stroud.  I think he will be a top 10 QB in this league.  I do want to see how he looks with a whole year of tape on him.  No one saw the Texans coming last year.  This season they get a first place schedule.  They still play in the worst division in the league but they aren't flying under anyone's radar in 2024.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I'll reiterate that I really don't like this move, but I'll just hope for the best because I don't have any control over any of this. The drought proved that there is nothing that will cause me to root for another team, so I'll just go along for the ride and hope that Beane had a plan and wasn't forced into this. I also hope that whoever we draft is Justin Jefferson and not Jalen Reagor, Kadarius Toney, or Jerry Jeudy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It took drops from Diggs & Sherfield, a miss from Bass and massive injuries all over the defense to keep Allen from beating the Super Bowl Champions.  

We’ve got to take some of the runs off his plate throughout the season and give him more easy buttons.. but make no mistake.. if we make it to the Playoffs I’m taking Allen with a new crew around him. 

Hit on WR in the Draft and I’m doubling down on that heavy. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Be a McDermott fan boy if you want. Others on here agree with me

As for my other points, is the failure to adequately address the OL an unfair criticism? 

The only redeeming factor for Epenesa is he is only 25. He had 2.5 sacks in the final ten weeks of the year. Again started the season strong and was a non-factor the rest of the way. He had 1 tackle and no sacks in 2023 playoffs. Terrible decision to bring him back.

I've generally given Beane high marks for his off-season moves. 

As he said today, the Bills are worse today after this move. If he thinks Shakir, Kincaid, and Samuel can replace Diggs as he was implying he is insane. But he is lying. He will trade up and draft a WR. That is his MO. He burns picks to move up and get a guy he wants. The only thing left to be seen is how much he gives up and how high he goes up. 

It now feels Beanes hand was semi forced   In his presser he said they probably were not as good now.

Feels like Diggs just wanted out

I dont think we can lay much blame on Beane this time.
The contract extension ? Sure.   He was hopeful

last season Diggs looked like he had an upper body injury

perhaps he just want trying as hard under Dorsey and then still with Brady

I have not seen any Bills players former or current comment on the trade.  The Bills do a decent job keeping things in house but not even a "good luck in Houston, we will miss you" type thing from his teammates??  Not even a "thats wild".  The silence is rather telling.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Jauronimo said:

I have not seen any Bills players former or current comment on the trade.  The Bills do a decent job keeping things in house but not even a "good luck in Houston, we will miss you" type thing from his teammates??  Not even a "thats wild".  The silence is rather telling.

WR with previous history of being team cancer proves to be… a team cancer. 

It’s almost like these WR’s that act up in the media and force their way out of multiple different teams are actually the problem. 

Antonio Brown light.