The criticism of Josh Allen

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Where is all this negative talk about Josh?   I haven't heard it, but I don't watch or listen to many of the sports shows. 

I've said over and over here that Josh needs to get better.  For all his extraordinary talents, what wins in the NFL is consistent execution of the play that is called, with the right choices and with accurate throws.   Mahomes and Burrows both are better than Josh in that category.  Where Josh excels is on the six to ten plays where things break down and you need someone to make a play.  Josh is outstanding then.  It's the other plays where he needs to be better. 

Agree, I have not seen this Josh “hate” that this thread is about. You put it nicely and to the point about Allen’s play, when Josh gets the consistency down he will then have a real chance to win it all with the Bills, until then he will be a very good quarterback that “may” not win it all during his career, jmo. 

• Like (+1) 1

Allen will go down as a great QB and HOFer if he stays healthy. It’s a shame that Allen plays in the same era as Mahommes, who will always overshadow him, mostly because his coach and teammates are superior to Allen’s.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Those in the 1% of an already elite group of professionals (athletes, celebrities, musicians, uber billionaire business professionals) get too much criticism and too much praise. It's unfortunate, but this is the reality and price of greatness, wealth, and fame.

As others have said, if Allen wants to lessen the voice of outspoken critics and semi-accurate perceptions or narratives about him, then he needs to do a few things a little better and win a title or two along with some additional individual awards that usually follow suit.

Personally, I don't hear much about Josh Allen as a Coloradan that I think is inaccurate. He is a top 3 QB that has not yet won a title, a MVP, or both, and these are prerequisites to be in the all-time or top 10 QB list.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Where is all this negative talk about Josh?   I haven't heard it, but I don't watch or listen to many of the sports shows. 

I've said over and over here that Josh needs to get better.  For all his extraordinary talents, what wins in the NFL is consistent execution of the play that is called, with the right choices and with accurate throws.   Mahomes and Burrows both are better than Josh in that category.  Where Josh excels is on the six to ten plays where things break down and you need someone to make a play.  Josh is outstanding then.  It's the other plays where he needs to be better. 

All over social media. Reddit, FB, Twitter or whatever the F it’s called these days, it’s literally allover every comment section that has anything to do with Josh Allen or the Bills. Way more hate since the playoff loss. Allen kind of went from a hero to hated pretty fast. 

1 hour ago, Buddy Hix said:

Allen will go down as a great QB and HOFer if he stays healthy. It’s a shame that Allen plays in the same era as Mahommes, who will always overshadow him, mostly because his coach and teammates are superior to Allen’s.

They’re both early in their primes. Things can turn around if McD can pull his head out of his *** and build a playoff caliber defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

by the media and non-Bills fans seems to be the trend this offseason. He’s getting the label of a guy that can’t and never will get it done. A “poor man’s Roethlisberger” or Phillip Rivers (who I think he’s already surpassed in 6 years.) Guys like Lamar Jackson get flack, but the flat out hating of Allen has been absolutely ridiculous lately and it’s everywhere, I’m not really bothered by it, I’m just wondering where it’s all coming from? Ignorance and sheep mentality? Whether he sniffs a SB in his life time or not, he’s going to be a HOFer on pure numbers alone. 

I’ve watched every one of his games as most of us have and he’s clearly not the problem. The turnover stat is so overblown and is on par w/ most of the top QBs in the league. 78 picks to Mahomes 63 over 6 years. That’s 2.5 more interceptions per season than Mahomes if you average it out. Not really that much in a 17 game span and most of them don’t usually affect the outcome of the game as the Bills have one of the best regular season records in the NFL since Allen was drafted. 

First: screw the media. They are pissed that he is a success. Second: Josh is a top 3 QB in the NFL no matter what. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

by the media and non-Bills fans seems to be the trend this offseason. He’s getting the label of a guy that can’t and never will get it done. A “poor man’s Roethlisberger” or Phillip Rivers (who I think he’s already surpassed in 6 years.) Guys like Lamar Jackson get flack, but the flat out hating of Allen has been absolutely ridiculous lately and it’s everywhere, I’m not really bothered by it, I’m just wondering where it’s all coming from? Ignorance and sheep mentality? Whether he sniffs a SB in his life time or not, he’s going to be a HOFer on pure numbers alone. 

I’ve watched every one of his games as most of us have and he’s clearly not the problem. The turnover stat is so overblown and is on par w/ most of the top QBs in the league. 78 picks to Mahomes 63 over 6 years. That’s 2.5 more interceptions per season than Mahomes if you average it out. Not really that much in a 17 game span and most of them don’t usually affect the outcome of the game as the Bills have one of the best regular season records in the NFL since Allen was drafted. 

I too write paragraphs about things I’m not bothered by.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, 90sBills said:

One can only put it on the defense for so long. When Mahomes gets the ball with a chance to win at the end of playoffs games he usually finishes. The opponents know this. Fans know this. When Allen gets the ball at the end we’re often bracing for the inevitable wtf happened moment.

Regardless of how the defense played this past playoffs game Allen had the ball with a chance to knock off KC and couldn’t finish. If it was the reverse Mahomes would definitely finish that drive. We’ve seen it from him time and again in the biggest games. KC’s defense gave up 35 in the Superbowl. Mahomes found  way to score 38. That’s the level that Allen needs to operate at and he hasn’t.

He actually has operated at that level, in KC taking the lead not once, TWICE inside the final 2 mins but yet again… 13 seconds was too long for McDermott and his D.

This team needs more elite playmakers and they need their excellent regular season D to show up in the playoffs.

26 minutes ago, julian said:

He actually has operated at that level, in KC taking the lead not once, TWICE inside the final 2 mins but yet again… 13 seconds was too long for McDermott and his D.

This team needs more elite playmakers and they need their excellent regular season D to show up in the playoffs.

I agree with 13 sec. Allen did his job. Coaching staff screwed up. Also credit should be given to Mahomes and KC for taken advantage of that situation.

In elimination games elite QBs like Mahomes will score with the ball last and game on the line regardless of what defense it is. Eagles and SF had top defenses in the last two Superbowls and couldn’t get stops to secure a Lombardi.

This is the playoffs level I’m hoping Allen can get to at some point. Where everyone knows he will lead the Bills to a winning score regardless of the defense he’s up against. More playmakers will definitely help with that cause for sure, to your point. 

• Haha (+1) 1

What do you do when you hated someone coming out of college and that person has succeeded all expectations? 

You put that person under a microscope and critique everything he does. 

Anybody here that has ever had haters in their life knows what’s going on. 

The same people that worship Mahomes will try to find the cloud in the silver lining if/when Allen wins a Super Bowl. “Oh his team carried him, he only had 200 yards.”  “He’ll never win another one.” “The refs rigged it for him.”  

37 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

I agree with 13 sec. Allen did his job. Coaching staff screwed up. Also credit should be given to Mahomes and KC for taken advantage of that situation.

In elimination games elite QBs like Mahomes will score with the ball last and game on the line regardless of what defense it is. Eagles and SF had top defenses in the last two Superbowls and couldn’t get stops to secure a Lombardi.

This is the playoffs level I’m hoping Allen can get to at some point. Where everyone knows he will lead the Bills to a winning score regardless of the defense he’s up against. More playmakers will definitely help with that cause for sure, to your point. 

He did lead them to the winning score, he got to that level.

The fact McDermott folded like a cheap lawn chair with 13 seconds remaining doesn’t eliminate that fact.

Edited by julian
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Of course not.  I'm curious how that impacts the comments that I made about his '21 season playoffs.  

Maybe instead of a comment like that, point out how much you'd like him to improve from posting two games with the following stat lines: 

308 Passing Yards, 5 Passing TDs, 157.6 Rating, 6 Carries for 66 Rushing Yards 

329 Passing Yards, 4 Passing TDs, 136.0 Rating, 11 Carries for 68 Rushing Yards 

In the other games, maybe point out where he failed while the rest of the team stepped up.  

Let's stay focused here instead of going off on tangents having little if anything to do with the original point.  

There's not a playoff game that we've played where anyone, national media, Bills fans, non-Bills fans, etc. can honestly say that we lost because of Allen with most much less all of the rest of the team having played a great game.  Once again, that points to something beyond merely Allen as to why we do not advance.  

I would suggest that if Josh had taken the shorter throw instead of trying to hit Shakir, we could have run more clock and beaten KC.  Josh is an immense talent.  No one denies that.  I’m glad he’s our QB.  But his improvement will come not in the physical but the mental part of the game, knowing when to take the shorter option as an example.  I expect the more seasons under his belt the more we’ll see that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, julian said:

He did lead them to the winning score, he got to that level.

The fact McDermott folded like a cheap lawn chair with 13 seconds remaining doesn’t eliminate that fact.

Yes he did…in a game that was 2 years ago. It can’t be just 1 time. We’re talking about playoffs here. Where the cream rises to the top. It has to be consistent. 

All was on a platter for him this past playoffs game against KC, at home no less. Had the ball with a chance to eliminate Mahomes and KC. Home crowd cheering on. It would’ve changed his whole narrative this offseason. So how did he answered that opportunity? By  being impatient at the worst possible moment and ultimately didn’t even advance the team to the red zone. Giving his struggling kicker a tough kick in that condition. So the narrative will continue. He has to improve his mental game to take it to level where Mahomes is operating. Until he does Bills will be going home early in the playoffs as always. 

37 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I would suggest that if Josh had taken the shorter throw instead of trying to hit Shakir, we could have run more clock and beaten KC.  Josh is an immense talent.  No one denies that.  I’m glad he’s our QB.  But his improvement will come not in the physical but the mental part of the game, knowing when to take the shorter option as an example.  I expect the more seasons under his belt the more we’ll see that.

It was the right throw, he just didn’t make it (we all know why, and it wasn’t because of Josh)! Why do we still need to keep talking about it? Yes Diggs was open, so was Shakir! Maybe they still only get a field goal with a pass to Diggs, then Mahomes still gets the winning drive…or is that not part of the narrative you want on that? 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Yes he did…in a game that was 2 years ago. It can’t be just 1 time. We’re talking about playoffs here. Where the cream rises to the top. It has to be consistent. 

All was on a platter for him this past playoffs game against KC, at home no less. Had the ball with a chance to eliminate Mahomes and KC. Home crowd cheering on. It would’ve changed his whole narrative this offseason. So how did he answered that opportunity? By  being impatient at the worst possible moment and ultimately didn’t even advance the team to the red zone. Giving his struggling kicker a tough kick in that condition. So the narrative will continue. He has to improve his mental game to take it to level where Mahomes is operating. Until he does Bills will be going home early in the playoffs as always. 

How many times did Harrison Butker bail out Mahomes and the Chiefs w/ insanely clutch 50+ yarders ? Or tons of other kickers have done against Buffalo in big games ? That kick was on Bass and it is not Allen’s fault that he missed an easy FG w/ 83% probability rate. He got paid top kicker money so he should routinely make those. It’s not the Scott Norwood days where a 40 yarder is a hit or miss. If Bass was so shaky then they should’ve went for it on 4th down. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

It was the right throw, he just didn’t make it (we all know why, and it wasn’t because of Josh)! Why do we still need to keep talking about it? Yes Diggs was open, so was Shakir! Maybe they still only get a field goal with a pass to Diggs, then Mahomes still gets the winning drive…or is that not part of the narrative you want on that? 

Don’t give me the narrative crap.  I think there is plenty of evidence to say that you don’t want to give Mahomes the ball back with time left.  A first down let’s you run more clock, then kick a FG from closer in and with a lot less time on the clock.

Did Josh lose the game?  Of course not - the D with all the injuries needed to hold one more time and couldn’t.  Is Josh great?  Yes.  Can he be even greater?  Also yes.

12 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

How many times did Harrison Butker bail out Mahomes and the Chiefs w/ insanely clutch 50+ yarders ? Or tons of other kickers have done against Buffalo in big games ? That kick was on Bass and it is not Allen’s fault that he missed an easy FG w/ 83% probability rate. He got paid top kicker money so he should routinely make those. It’s not the Scott Norwood days where a 40 yarder is a hit or miss. If Bass was so shaky then they should’ve went for it on 4th down. 

In the history of the NFL there are only two instances of a QB accounting for 50+ regular and postseason TDs while failing to get to the championship game and Allen has both of them

Anyone able to see that as a failing of the quarterback can be safely ignored

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

In the history of the NFL there are only two instances of a QB accounting for 50+ regular and postseason TDs while failing to get to the championship game and Allen has both of them

Anyone able to see that as a failing of the quarterback can be safely ignored

None of the other players accounting for  50+ TDs had to play Patty.

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

What's he done?

Well, he's beaten Josh Allen in the playoffs. 

His career passer rating is 6 percentage points higher.  6!   He has better completion percentage, yards per attempt, and fewer interceptions.   

Other than that, he hasn't done anything. 

Shaw I think your explanation in the previous post is fine except for bringing Burrow into the conversation and putting him above Josh.

I think Burrow is the most overrated QB in the NFL. That's not because I don't think he's really good. It's because he's less of a Tractor and more of a Trailer than Mahomes, Josh and Lamar. Burrow has been widely talked about by many (not all, but a significant and loud enough portion of the national sports media) as the 2nd best QB in the NFL when I think he’s more clearly the 4th or 5th. Aside from his injury history and the whole "the best ability is availability" thing, Burrow had arguably the best WR corps I. The NFL the last few years along with a top 10 RB group.

I used to question Mahomes's greatness because he had 2 HOF players as his #1 weapons in Hill and Kelce. I can't question that anymore. I frankly look at Burrow and wonder why the label of greatness was given to him so quickly by so many. I can answer my own question and get to the Super Bowl appearance, but let's be honest, there's a lot of luck involved in winning in the playoffs and getting to the Super Bowl.

Fact is that Burrow and Mahomes both began their careers with at least a couple E.lite weapons in the passing game and were able to grow into being great QBs with that crutch (along with an Offensive HC of course) and are only now backsliding a little into losing those weapons and needing to be the full Tractor. Mahomes is that Dude. I'm honestly skeptical of Burrow being there considering since his National Championship year in College he's always had more than 1 Elite weapon.

And by the way, Burrow has had 2 great seasons total in the NFL. That's it. And he only reached 40 TDs in one of those seasons. And it's not like you can say he was incredible protecting the Football because he had at least 15 turnovers in both of those seasons.

Contrast those 2 with Josh Allen, who has been given the opposite trajectory. A horrible roster and no weapons in year 1. A couple pretty good weapons finally in year 2. It wasn't til year 3 he finally got an Elite weapon in Diggs, but he's never had 2 the way Burrow and Mahomes have for multiple years at the beginning of their careers. Hopefully next year is the year he finally has 2+ of them through some combination of Diggs, Kincaid, Cook, rookie WR, etc. But that would be his 7th year before he finally got what Mahomes and Burrow started their careers with.

Josh Allen is better than Burrow. He's been the ultimate Tractor carrying this team since his rookie year. If the real criticism of Allen with relattin to this Burrow vs Allen argument is #QBwinz then maybe what McDermott really needs to consider is going old school and start using Allen on D as an LB as well as our QB. 

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

How many times did Vinatieri bailed out Brady? That’s not the point as Brady is considered the goat. 

Let’s say Bass made that kick. So now Mahomes has 1:45 roughly to take his team down for a winning fg. You’re confident that Bills would be able to stop him?

Whenever this topic gets discussed it’s always all the other part of the team that needs improving except the main part. Allen is a top 3 qb in the league but he does have room for improvement. Just like all other QBs, including the best guy in Mahomes. 

Edit:

Regarding your op I haven’t seen the national media crapping on Allen. I watch alot of national sports shows. The narrative of Allen is not being able to get past Mahomes in the playoffs. Even though Allen lost to Burrow that’s not really discussed at all. If you’re reading comments on Twitter and YouTube etc then it’s a different story and one that should be ignored. 

Edited by 90sBills

7 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Shaw I think your explanation in the previous post is fine except for bringing Burrow into the conversation and putting him above Josh.

I think Burrow is the most overrated QB in the NFL. That's not because I don't think he's really good. It's because he's less of a Tractor and more of a Trailer than Mahomes, Josh and Lamar. Burrow has been widely talked about by many (not all, but a significant and loud enough portion of the national sports media) as the 2nd best QB in the NFL when I think he’s more clearly the 4th or 5th. Aside from his injury history and the whole "the best ability is availability" thing, Burrow had arguably the best WR corps I. The NFL the last few years along with a top 10 RB group.

I used to question Mahomes's greatness because he had 2 HOF players as his #1 weapons in Hill and Kelce. I can't question that anymore. I frankly look at Burrow and wonder why the label of greatness was given to him so quickly by so many. I can answer my own question and get to the Super Bowl appearance, but let's be honest, there's a lot of luck involved in winning in the playoffs and getting to the Super Bowl.

Fact is that Burrow and Mahomes both began their careers with at least a couple E.lite weapons in the passing game and were able to grow into being great QBs with that crutch (along with an Offensive HC of course) and are only now backsliding a little into losing those weapons and needing to be the full Tractor. Mahomes is that Dude. I'm honestly skeptical of Burrow being there considering since his National Championship year in College he's always had more than 1 Elite weapon.

And by the way, Burrow has had 2 great seasons total in the NFL. That's it. And he only reached 40 TDs in one of those seasons. And it's not like you can say he was incredible protecting the Football because he had at least 15 turnovers in both of those seasons.

Contrast those 2 with Josh Allen, who has been given the opposite trajectory. A horrible roster and no weapons in year 1. A couple pretty good weapons finally in year 2. It wasn't til year 3 he finally got an Elite weapon in Diggs, but he's never had 2 the way Burrow and Mahomes have for multiple years at the beginning of their careers. Hopefully next year is the year he finally has 2+ of them through some combination of Diggs, Kincaid, Cook, rookie WR, etc. But that would be his 7th year before he finally got what Mahomes and Burrow started their careers with.

Josh Allen is better than Burrow. He's been the ultimate Tractor carrying this team since his rookie year. If the real criticism of Allen with relattin to this Burrow vs Allen argument is #QBwinz then maybe what McDermott really needs to consider is going old school and start using Allen on D as an LB as well as our QB. 

Thanks for this.  I don't disagree much - you raise some really good points.   

I don't think Josh being the ultimate tractor carrying his team, which he is, makes Josh a good QB.  Michael Vick carried his team, too.   What I said about Josh, and have said for a long time, is that his number one job is to execute the offense at a very high level, and although he improved a lot at it last season, he still isn't elite.  

I've said something like this before.   Maybe you've got 40 offensive plays in the game, and the QB's job on 30-32 of them is to execute the play as designed, on schedule, making the right decisions and quality throws on 100% of them.   Mahomes does that.  Burrow does that.  Brady did that.   On the other 8 or 10 plays, the QB has to bail his team out, go off script and make something happen.   Allen may be the best in the league at that, and only Mahomes compares with him.   And in that category that Burrow falls down.   He's more like Brock Purdy or Tua on steroids - he's superb at all the throws that he can make on script, but if the on-script play isn't there, things tend to fall apart with him.  

Josh needs to be better on those on-script plays.  

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, FireChans said:

None of the other players accounting for  50+ TDs had to play Patty.

It's actually 2/3 w the other being Manning 04 now that I fact check ESPN

Point still stands tho

and the Bengals have proven getting torn apart by Mahomes in the playoffs isn't an inevitability 

27 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Don't give in on Mahomes yet. Wait til Kelce retires. That's when the real judgement begins. 

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

and the Bengals have proven getting torn apart by Mahomes in the playoffs isn't an inevitability 

Only the Bills have this problem every year. The Chiefs were shut out in two entire halfs over the AFCCG and Super Bowl. Every defense they've ever faced from the divisional round on has put up a better fight than we ever have. I'm not asking for us to shut them out for an entire half. Just a decent defensive performance would practically guarantee us a win.

Edited by HappyDays

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Only the Bills have this problem every year. The Chiefs were shut out in two entire halfs over the AFCCG and Super Bowl. Every defense they've ever faced from the divisional round on has put up a better fight than we ever have. I'm not asking for us to shut them out for an entire half. Just a decent defensive performance would practically guarantee us a win.

He’s 15-3 in the playoffs, with two losses to Brady.

I would argue pretty much everyone seems to have a problem with the big homie.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Nah. Burrow always skates and Lamar's in the HOF already. Allen gets judged on a different criteria

If both of those guys keep failing to win the Super Bowl, they'll face the same criticism. Jackson is overrated, but still gets plenty of flack. Allen gets plenty of praise along with it. He's not a pariah.

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

Don't give in on Mahomes yet. Wait til Kelce retires. That's when the real judgement begins. 

Why stop there. Let’s see what happens after Reid retires. Even then there’s still plenty of space to move those goal posts. 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Nah. Burrow always skates and Lamar's in the HOF already. Allen gets judged on a different criteria

There’s a better chance of Josh making the HOF and Lamar missing it than vice versa. At this point, there’s simply no way to say that Allen isn’t a top 2 QB.  Arguments can be made that in any given year he didn’t produce at a top 2 level, but that’s him against the field.  Burrow may have had a better three years ago, and Hurts may have had a better season two years ago, and Lamar may have had a better season last year, but on the whole Josh is easily better than all of them.  20 years from now, nobody is going to rank Lamar above Josh on the all time list.  I’m a huge Lamar fan, but any list that has Lamar on it is a pretty long list.

Josh could be better.   Anyone could be better.   The media talking about a top five guy getting better in Buffalo is missing a more important conversation.   Twenty one other starters and a coaching staff improving even marginally could make Allen among the best of all time.

It’s like Da Vinci being told Mona could’ve smiled a little bit while he’s sitting next to me in my middle school art class.