Bills sign a safety!!!! Mike Edwards a Bill

DJB

This thread proves that most of us can be talked into liking just about any signing.  Pretty much everyone would have preferred Blackmon before this signing, and some still do, but it is only a matter of time until we are enamored by his 2 SB rings, impressive stat line despite only 28 career starts and the fact that he “would have” been a starter had he been on a different team, he’s cheaper for the Bills  (oh and he hasn’t torn an ACL / Achilles yet either) ….. and therefore he’s a better signing than Blackmon.  Just wait. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Lewis isn't even a safety and people mention him before Hamlin. Sad.

Was Hamlin not inactive for most of the season while Lewis was? Did the Bills not just give Lewis a new 2 year deal. I'd say hes more in their future plans than Hamlin.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Cover One says Bills liked him at Senior Bowl.

The Bills usually sign guys they've followed for a while.  They generally know what they're getting.  They must like him as a sleeper starter.  

As another poster referenced, he has 8 INT, 5 Fumble Recoveries and 4 TDs  in 28 starts.   

Bonus 3 playoff INTs.   7 tackles and a Pass Defended in KC SB win 

He can line up at FS, SS or Nickel 

• Like (+1) 4

42 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

8 ints and 5 Fumble recoveries in 28 starts is actually very impressive. 

Remember Poyer before coming here was considered depth n turned into an all pro. McD is a DB whisperer and he clearly has some potential to work with

Elam must be hard of hearing then … the whispers aren’t registering 

• Haha (+1) 6

16 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

There’s only 59 players on the roster, including future/reserve contracts. We’re adding somebody…

Yea I said a draft pick and then we will add some UDFA safeties after the draft as well.

Coming off a good stretch of play.  I think he starts.  Time will tell.  An interior Dlineman and interior olineman and you could turn your attention to the draft for the most part imo.

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

As another poster referenced, he has 8 INT, 5 Fumble Recoveries and 4 TDs  in 28 starts.   

Bonus 3 playoff INTs.   7 tackles and a Pass Defended in KC SB win 

He can line up at FS, SS or Nickel 

Exactly the kind of characteristics McD likes.  3rd round pick.  Still, only a one-year deal, so he will be competing for a job. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

If there is a position I trust McDermott with, it is safety. If he thinks he can make it work with Rapp and Edwards, that works for me. But they may also draft a guy. We'll see.

I see a 2nd or 4th round rookie safety pushing Edwards and Rapp for a starting position.

Hamlin having to fight off competition for S#4.  Hope Beane double dips with a 5th-6th rounder to compete.

You guys kill me. All humour. Edwards AND Rapp start. Case closed. We have our Safety tandum. LOVE IT!!! dude can ball. He hits hard like Rapp, and can cover ground.

Now move up in draft and get us the DE we need! LATUUUUUUUU

Also - the little birds are chirping... Hyde might come back to Buff. Veteran presense - but with Edwards and Rapp we good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Was Hamlin not inactive for most of the season while Lewis was? Did the Bills not just give Lewis a new 2 year deal. I'd say hes more in their future plans than Hamlin.

Lewis is to Safety what Matakevich is to LB. He's the last version of McD's Tolbert on this team.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Younger rising talent. Fine by me. Still would have liked Blackmon better. 

You have to figure Blackmon wanted a bigger contract.  If that was the problem, I'm on board for going cheaper.  But if the FO doesn't do any other S moves I think the likelihood that they draft a S in the first 3 rounds increases.

I'm hoping they do another safety move, I liked the wild card Hyde call above.  That would move safety down the draft list and we would look solid IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

not a single post mentioning the inside info we can gain from the Chiefs Defense! 

Inside info on what?  

These aren't PeeWee coaches.  They analyze and understand schematics to the extreme level, they don't need "inside info". 

KC has a better/faster defense than we've had.  Snead, Jones, McDuffie, faster safeties, etc. 

We have talented guys too, but our lack of a true game wrecker up front is the main difference, then KC had two top DBs too.

• Vomit 1

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

You have to figure Blackmon wanted a bigger contract.  If that was the problem, I'm on board for going cheaper.  But if the FO doesn't do any other S moves I think the likelihood that they draft a S in the first 3 rounds increases.

I'm hoping they do another safety move, I liked the wild card Hyde call above.  That would move safety down the draft list and we would look solid IMO.

Hyde should not be back IMO…

He shouldn’t be mucking around any longer with that neck problem … particularly in a limited role moving forward 

9 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Lewis is to Safety what Matakevich is to LB. He's the last version of McD's Tolbert on this team.

I seem to recall Cam Lewis playing quite a bit of safety last year something Matakevich never did and Hamlin never did until he was literally the last human on the roster who could play it.

4 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

They can go into the season with Edwards/Rapp and groom Cole Bishop who they'll draft in the later rounds

I think Edwards is a starter based on our current roster. But he is a low end starter. I am worried about the safety position.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Edwards is a starter based on our current roster. But he is a low end starter. I am worried about the safety position.

IMO it's still quite possible we bring in Blackmon or Simmons to make Rapp the 3rd Safety.  Then draft one in Round 4-5  

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I was always more concerned about Poyer's and Hyde's lack of speed when the games really mattered. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1