DE Austin Johnson visiting the Bills today - UPDATE: DaQuan Jones says we got him

16 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I don't think that Armstead visited.  I think that he's a free agent and his wife has ties to the Buffalo area, so someone wrote an article suggesting that he was interested in signing with the Bills.  I don't know that there was anything else to the story.

he had a verbal agreement with the Bills and then chose the Jaguars 

18 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

I’m getting so old I don’t know 90% of these free agents. I think it’s because I stopped playing madden and fantasy football 

The only reason I know who guys like Toohill are is just all the deep dive studying of the draft. Also getting old. 

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Isn't he a 3T?   He played DE in a 3-4 

He's a 1 Tech. DE's in 3-4 are usually bigger bodies. I just think he was a bad fit out there for the Chargers. He's a 4-3 1 Tech in his best situation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The only reason I know who guys like Toohill are is just all the deep dive studying of the draft. Also getting old

This is true of everyone, some of us just have more experience at it.

12 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

He's a 1 Tech. DE's in 3-4 are usually bigger bodies. I just think he was a bad fit out there for the Chargers. He's a 4-3 1 Tech in his best situation.

That's what we need. Hope he signs with us.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Know we’re not big fans of PFF on TBD but it’s just interesting to see their opinion--they gave Austin Johnson an overall rating of 45.7 which is very low compared with what I’ve seen with other players. 

By comparison Daquan was an 86.0.  Which is why we paid him $8M per. Calais Campbell at 37 yrs old got an 80.0. That’s why he got $7M last year and will likely be close again.

Not expecting a low cost FA DT to be rated very high but with Johnson getting such a low rating makes me nervous. Jerry Tillery got a 67.7 and $2.75M for one year. Settle a 57.1 and got $3M per for two. Just gives you some comparative analysis so we can be realistic with our expectations (whether or not we agree with PFF). FWIW.

Edited by biggerdaddynj
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, biggerdaddynj said:

Know we’re not big fans of PFF on TBD but it’s just interesting to see their opinion--they gave Austin Johnson an overall rating of 45.7 which is very low compared with what I’ve seen with other players. 

By comparison Daquan was an 86.0.  Which is why we paid him $8M per. Calais Campbell at 37 yrs old got an 80.0. That’s why he got $7M last year and will likely be close again.

Not expecting a low cost FA DT to be rated very high but with Johnson getting such a low rating makes me nervous. Jerry Tillery got a 67.7 and $2.75M for one year. Settle a 57.1 and got $3M per for two. Just gives you some comparative analysis so we can be realistic with our expectations (whether or not we agree with PFF). FWIW.

Well, I'd rather take my chances than pay Settle that. Gabe Hall is probably better.

Edited by nosejob

14 minutes ago, biggerdaddynj said:

He was playing out of position he wasn’t a DT last year he was out of his element playing end. Plus the Chargers defense was a damn mess under Staley 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills defense will be significantly less talented this year. McDermott has his hands full. But that’s his job.

But...less talented than what?

Definitely less talented than last September.  Probably more talented than the D we had in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

If the dude is 315 and plays both DE and DT he could take the role that Basham failed at as well as allow Groot to avoid inside snaps also. 

I think he would be the immediate backup for the 1&3.  Personally I would run a 5-2  with him as the Shade over the Center.  It would allow Von and Groot wide while he,DQ and Oliver collapse the middle

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think you mean "jabroni".   Gotta' be careful because if you use it but don't know how it's spelled then it makes you a jabroni.

https://parade.com/living/jabroni-meaning

Grammar police alive & well. They understand the point but can’t respond intelligently so they go for the typo. Classic 😝😝😝😝😝

19 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Grammar police alive & well. They understand the point but can’t respond intelligently so they go for the typo. Classic 😝😝😝😝😝

It's slang so it's not a grammar issue.   The point is that you are ignorant of the root of the term.   

Jambroni, jambroni, jambronibronibronbroni

• Awesome! (+1) 1

As a rotational DT who will likely be the main one tech backup I honestly don’t mind the move. He’s had 55 starts in his career so he’s experienced. I think he will take the Poona Ford spot of being the main backup “run stuffer” in case Daquon goes out.

Hopefully it plays out better than Ford did as Ford got off to a very slow start to the season to the point where he quickly fell out of the rotation. Then when given the chance to play when Daquon went out he was so bad that they had to go out and sign Lincal Joseph.

Of course Ford did have some flashes towards the end of the season but overall the signing was mostly uneventful. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills defense will be significantly less talented this year. McDermott has his hands full. But that’s his job.

I am not sure it’s that much less talented. Poyer and Hyde while still effective safeties were past their primes. Edwards and Rapp aren’t going to be special but are they going to be that much worse? Leonard Floyd is a major loss but I think Von will bounce back and fill in that talent gap.

The rest of the losses on defense were either depth (Dane Jackson and Dodson) or marginal rotation defensive linemen who didn’t have a major impact (Shaq, Settle, Ford and Phillips). Tre White has been effectively replaced by Douglas so there’s no net loss there.

What’s going to be a challenge for McD in my opinion is hitting on the draft to add more to the defense both in terms of filling out depth (probably want to find a corner to replace Dane and a safety to develop) and finding good defensive linemen to add to the rotation. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, nosejob said:

Well, I'd rather take my chances than pay Settle that. Gabe Hall is probably better.

And, we definitely one draft too—if things fall the way it appears we might go DL first (could be very good value there—BPA) and then trade up in the 2nd to get our future WR1 (a year to develop as Samuel takes some heat off of Diggs and then three years of production and cap-tastic fun courtesy of the rookie contract—gotta nail this pick 🤞).  Thanks. 

3 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

He was playing out of position he wasn’t a DT last year he was out of his element playing end. Plus the Chargers defense was a damn mess under Staley 

Thanks for the great inside scoop, gonzo. Could be a nice (smart) snag by Beane. He’s surely locked in (probably hasn’t finished his brackets yet!).  

On 3/20/2024 at 1:30 PM, Dunkirk Donski said:

Dont you want a 315 lb DE ? 

Sure, if he can run a 4.6 40.

I like Johnson's versatility.  Obviously, Daquan Jones is the starter at 1 Tech, just as Oliver is the obvious starter at 3 tech.  Still, McDermott likes to rotate his defensive linemen.  He also greatly values versatility.  I could see the Bills lining Johnson up outside in a heaver lineup in obvious run situations.  I think Buffalo would use him primarily as a 1 Tech, but it would be encouraging to know he can shift to 3 Tech or DE should that be necessary or it gives the Bills a situational advantage.

Edited by BigAl2526
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I am not sure it’s that much less talented. Poyer and Hyde while still effective safeties were past their primes. Edwards and Rapp aren’t going to be special but are they going to be that much worse? Leonard Floyd is a major loss but I think Von will bounce back and fill in that talent gap.

The rest of the losses on defense were either depth (Dane Jackson and Dodson) or marginal rotation defensive linemen who didn’t have a major impact (Shaq, Settle, Ford and Phillips). Tre White has been effectively replaced by Douglas so there’s no net loss there.

What’s going to be a challenge for McD in my opinion is hitting on the draft to add more to the defense both in terms of filling out depth (probably want to find a corner to replace Dane and a safety to develop) and finding good defensive linemen to add to the rotation. 

Milano back and Douglas for full season. Floyd is a loss but I actually think by mid season this D assuming 3-4 rotational players drafted will be a top 10 D. If so with what the O should bring puts the Bills in the mix. They need to be healthy and peaking in the playoffs. If they get in, they will have a viable shot. KC is has a great HC and QB but has been blessed with minimal key injuries.AFC remains the power conference and the Bills will compete for supremacy. 

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Sign the papers man!  Then get Calais Campbell & Blackmon or Simmons in here

& we are good to DRAFT 

I don't know why you always have to double down. It's some kind of compulsion. I'd love to get this guy. You're not getting him and Calais Campbell.

It was Blackmon or Edwards. It's not going to be Simmons. The S upgrade, if it comes, will be in the draft. (They'll definitely draft one, don't know how early.)

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I don't know why you always have to double down. It's some kind of compulsion. I'd love to get this guy. You're not getting him and Calais Campbell.

It was Blackmon or Edwards. It's not going to be Simmons. The S upgrade, if it comes, will be in the draft. (They'll definitely draft one, don't know how early.)

It's extremely bizarre.

I remember last season him banging the table to get a DE. Then when we signed Floyd, instead of being happy about it, he immediately started banging the table to sign BOTH of Melvin Ingram and Justin Houston too.

It's always manic behavior like that during the Offseason. I guess most people just ignore him - but the non-stop over the top ridiculousness irks me, obviously as I've earned a reputation of being a "party pooper" by constantly refuting his posts.

Blackmon has "several suitors". He wasn't interested in signing when he was here and it's no coincidence we then brought in Edwards the next day and signed him the day after. If he wasn't interested in signing with us before we signed Edwards - why would he come back to us now and be part of a 3 man competition for 2 spots with Rapp and Edwards - when he'll surely have better options for a more secure role and/or a more secure contract?

Though I will say, as unlikely as that it is, it's WAY more likely than Justin Simmons. What about what we've been doing with the Safety room in re-signing Rapp, visiting with Blackmon, and signing Edwards says we're interested in signing the most expensive player at that position (besides McKinney)?

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's extremely bizarre.

I remember last season him banging the table to get a DE. Then when we signed Floyd, instead of being happy about it, he immediately started banging the table to sign BOTH of Melvin Ingram and Justin Houston too.

It's always manic behavior like that during the Offseason. I guess most people just ignore him - but the non-stop over the top ridiculousness irks me, obviously as I've earned a reputation of being a "party pooper" by constantly refuting his posts.

Blackmon has "several suitors". He wasn't interested in signing when he was here and it's no coincidence we then brought in Edwards the next day and signed him the day after. If he wasn't interested in signing with us before we signed Edwards - why would he come back to us now and be part of a 3 man competition for 2 spots with Rapp and Edwards - when he'll surely have better options for a more secure role and/or a more secure contract?

Though I will say, as unlikely as that it is, it's WAY more likely than Justin Simmons. What about what we've been doing with the Safety room in re-signing Rapp, visiting with Blackmon, and signing Edwards says we're interested in signing the most expensive player at that position (besides McKinney)?

Yes, I'm more interested in where we might be going in the draft for S at this point. At DL, I am hoping for Austin Johnson. I think he'd be a good signing, and perhaps plausible. But so far as Warriorspikes51's enthusiasms, he's rather like Toad in The Wind and the Willows. You just have to let them run their course. Trying to contain them is like trying to eradicate Kudzu in Georgia.

• Haha (+1) 4

53 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, I'm more interested in where we might be going in the draft for S at this point. At DL, I am hoping for Austin Johnson. I think he'd be a good signing, and perhaps plausible. But so far as Warriorspikes51's enthusiasms, he's rather like Toad in The Wind and the Willows. You just have to let them run their course. Trying to contain them is like trying to eradicate Kudzu in Georgia.

Austin Johnson and Teair Tart represent the best fits for what's left in my opinion, which funnily enough, when I was looking up the correct spelling, I just noticed someone updated his Wiki to say he's a Bill and I just had to go back and check the board to see if we had signed him lol Campbell, as good as he still was last year, will be 38 years old when the season starts. I'm not interested in giving money to a 38 year old.

At just about 9m under, I think it's all in on DT help and then it's probably on to the Draft. Whatever we don't adequately fill out in the Draft, we'll address later and/or with Tre's money post-6/1. Factoring in where we're at financially, where we're at with DT, and money we'll need for Draft picks - things like expecting a 3rd Safety signing right now (and specifically Simmons) seem silly to me.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

43 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Austin Johnson and Teair Tart represent the best fits for what's left in my opinion, which funnily enough, when I was looking up the correct spelling, I just noticed someone updated his Wiki to say he's a Bill and I just had to go back and check the board to see if we had signed him lol Campbell, as good as he still was last year, will be 38 years old when the season starts. I'm not interested in giving money to a 38 year old.

At just about 9m under, I think it's all in on DT help and then it's probably on to the Draft. Whatever we don't adequately fill out in the Draft, we'll address later and/or with Tre's money post-6/1. Factoring in where we're at financially, where we're at with DT, and money we'll need for Draft picks - things like expecting a 3rd Safety signing right now (and specifically Simmons) seem silly to me.

It's all McDermott and Beane view on thing's imo. Just waiting patience on what ever they do.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan