Plans at WR?

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yes exactly! Give me your best reason why they didn’t take all the cap they could from Josh Allen? Remember that Josh Allen isn’t going anywhere in the next 10 years. Meaning they can push his cap hits for at least 10 years.

Maybe it has to do with a possible extension during the summer or next offseason?   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

With the state of the defense, I think it is imprudent to trade next year’s picks.  A future draft pick is usually devalued by a round in a trade, so next year’s 2nd is worth about the same as a 3rd this year.   In addition, I think the Bills could be drafting earlier next year due to a step back on defense.  If that happens, I would not want to be sitting at about the middle of the 2nd next year wishing we had a pick because we traded it for a late 3rd in the 2024 draft.

I was thinking that since we'll be picking 26 to 32, I would trade next yrs. 1st to get another 2nd this year.  Wash. at 36 or Giants at 39?  We gotta get another pick there....and keep 60. We also have to find a way to get into the 3rd.

Edited by nosejob

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Trade for Sutton, sign Samuel and draft another

I would be pumped to have Samuel and I think Brady would do well find ways to get him involved.  My main concern is someone replace Gabe.  Last year the offense stalled because there was no threat to go deep and outside of Diggs no other receivers could beat man coverage.  They need a solid WR that can do both.  Hopefully round 1

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/11/2024 at 2:02 PM, TFBillsfan said:

Are we going dumpster diving in Free Agency and then hoping we hit in the draft at WR?

Yes I think so.  Diggs, Shakir and Kincaid are better than many think.  You will see a vet probably but at the right price.

7 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Yes I think so.  Diggs, Shakir and Kincaid are better than many think.  You will see a vet probably but at the right price.

I think it’s fair to assume Kincaid will ascend. With Shakir, who knows? He came on late, but Robert Foster (or was it Forster, the guy from Jackie Brown) was exciting for a minute as well and he ended up being an absolute nobody. 

Diggs, I think people are just being too hopeful. Dude fell the f uck off at the end of ‘22 and ‘23. Claims to be “him” yet when he had the chance to show us in the post season it slipped thru his hands. Maybe at one point he was THE difference maker, but I don’t see any more Minneapolis Miracles coming from him anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Sam Monson on WGR advocating for us to sign Tyler Boyd. He suspects he'll go to KC if we don't

Boyd our 2017 hero is 29,  6'2 200 lbs.  Has been a pretty consistent producer.  He is capable of playing outside. 

image.thumb.png.8ff5e472ca40678ab51e166156da6e5a.png

The problem with Tyler Boyd and Curtis Samuel, is both are slots. Neither do anything to replace the hole we have on the boundary and you can't put them, Shakir, and Kincaid on the field at the same time in standard sets. You can in 4 WR sets with Kincaid on the line with his hand in the dirt, which isn't where he's best (and takes Knox off the field) - but that isn't a frequent occurrence.

For guys split out Wide right now, we have just Stefon Diggs on the Outside and then Kincaid and Shakir in the slot. Adding another Slot, especially a high paid one like Boyd, simply moves Kincaid or Shakir to 3rd Slot option - when you mainly only have one on the field to begin with. 

Cover 1 did a good job breaking down our WR position and what we should be looking at in FA last night. Boyd wasn't even talked about bc of the price point and his role on the team. Starts at 18:55. Specific talk on Curtis Samuel's fit at 22:34:

Edited by BillsFanForever19

18 minutes ago, Craig Oi said:

I have a feeling if we dip into the FA pool it will be someone like Josh Reynolds (that is if he does doesn't break the bank as well somewhere else)...

Or Donovan People's Court Jones. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Craig Oi said:

I have a feeling if we dip into the FA pool it will be someone like Josh Reynolds (that is if he does doesn't break the bank as well somewhere else)...

I think Josh Reynolds probably is the most likely acquisition. It's probably not going to be someone who's at a big time price tag like Hollywood or Ridley, effectively locking them in at WR2 for the price point we'd be paying.

It's going to be someone who's a True Outside guy at a price point of WR3, but has the experience and play worthy of being WR2 in the event that our Round 1 WR takes a little bit of time to catch on. I think Reynolds fits that perfectly.

In the Cover 1 video I posted above, they said they're all in at looking at Tier 1 being Hollywood (probably too expensive, but maybe), Darnell Mooney (off the board now), and Josh Reynolds.

After them, they'd pivot to DJ Chark, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, K.J. Osborn, or Quez Watkins. And after them, Van Jefferson or Donovan Peoples-Jones. My guess is probably Reynolds or someone from this list. OBJ (if his market is dry) or Mecole Hardman could be Wild Cards as well.

Then a WR in Round 1 and another in the mid rounds.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The problem with Tyler Boyd and Curtis Samuel, is both are slots. Neither do anything to replace the hole we have on the boundary and you can't put them, Shakir, and Kincaid on the field at the same time in standard sets. You can in 4 WR sets with Kincaid on the line with his hand in the dirt, which isn't where he's best (and takes Knox off the field) - but that isn't a frequent occurrence.

For guys split out Wide right now, we have just Stefon Diggs on the Outside and then Kincaid and Shakir in the slot. Adding another Slot, especially a high paid one like Boyd, simply moves Kincaid or Shakir to 3rd Slot option - when you mainly only have one on the field to begin with. 

Cover 1 did a good job breaking down our WR position and what we should be looking at in FA last night. Boyd wasn't even talked about bc of the price point and his role on the team. Starts at 18:55. Specific talk on Curtis Samuel's fit at 22:34:

we need to sign a veteran to take Sherfield / Harty spot - hopefully at an increased role

14 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think Josh Reynolds probably is the most likely acquisition. It's probably not going to be someone who's at a big time price tag like Hollywood or Ridley, effectively locking them in at WR2 for the price point we'd be paying.

Think this is correct. He’s 6-3. Love that.

And then Draft your guy in Round 1.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

With Harty released and now Gabe signing with the Jags, what is the strategy/approach for WR? Are we going dumpster diving in Free Agency and then hoping we hit in the draft at WR?

Our current roster is Diggs, Shakir, Sherfield and Shorter (inactive all season). Currently not scaring anyone and probably in the bottom 10 as a WR group.

Anyone else uncomfortable? That’s a lot of pressure to hit on WR that is impactful in the draft! Do we trade up? 

Thoughts or perspective on Beane’s approach?

Game day signing for the parking lot try outs….

5 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

get as many weapons as possible and let them fight to get on the field

Exactly.

We need at least 4 quality WRs for depth and to plan for Stephs eventual demise. 

We also run enough 4 WR sets or have sub packages to give guys a rest, etc...

It's no coincidence one of Allen's best passing seasons was with Steph, Beasley, Sanders and Davis. All brought different, complementary skills to attack the defense at multiple levels

29 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

we need to sign a veteran to take Sherfield / Harty spot - hopefully at an increased role

Yeah, but you're not paying Samuel or especially Boyd the price tag they'll command to replace Sherfield or Harty - guys we paid 1.7m minimum to Sherfield and slightly above that for Harty.

Harty barely got any snaps as WR4/5. Stars like Boyd aren't going to accept a diminished role like that.

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Glad we aren't jumping on this ridiculous WR market, and I hope Beane doesn't get desperate and buckle.

People are freaking out about Noah Brown and Darnell Mooney.  Last year the names were Jakobi Meyers and Parris Campbell.

These guys are mediocre complimentary pieces who need to be 4th-5th in the target hierarchy.  Maybe $2-3 million per year.  Not $8-10 million.

Stefon Diggs is our #1 target.  Dalton Kincaid is #2.  Khalil Shakir should be #3.  We still have Dawson Knox and James Cook.  I get the need to add another receiver.  But everyone needs to calm down.

Agree.  Beane will draft a WR high and maybe add a vet after June 1st.  If no vet, maybe a flyer on a Day 3 WR/PR if someone falls on their board.

Beane has no real money to do anything big.

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Agree.  Beane will draft a WR high and maybe add a vet after June 1st.  If no vet, maybe a flyer on a Day 3 WR/PR if someone falls on their board.

Beane has no real money to do anything big.

I think a physical Wideout is the real need. Doesn't necessarily have to be a true #1, just the ability to go get the ball in 50/50 situations. 

Just now, Southern_Bills said:

I think a physical Wideout is the real need. Doesn't necessarily have to be a true #1, just the ability to go get the ball in 50/50 situations. 

I would go along with one of those.

On 3/11/2024 at 11:02 AM, TFBillsfan said:

With Harty released and now Gabe signing with the Jags, what is the strategy/approach for WR? Are we going dumpster diving in Free Agency and then hoping we hit in the draft at WR?

Our current roster is Diggs, Shakir, Sherfield and Shorter (inactive all season). Currently not scaring anyone and probably in the bottom 10 as a WR group.

Anyone else uncomfortable? That’s a lot of pressure to hit on WR that is impactful in the draft! Do we trade up? 

Thoughts or perspective on Beane’s approach?

Beane called me and told me he’s going WR with first 4 picks so don’t worry.

4 hours ago, DapperCam said:

In theory, the Bills could be fine or even improved from last season if the following happen:

- Diggs returns to form (maybe he was injured) 

- Kincaid improves from his rookie year (likely)

- Shakir maintains his effectiveness with increased targets.

- Cook continues to improve as a pass catcher (he improved last year, why not again?)

- Knox plays well when he’s on the field (hopefully he his fully healthy this year).

Davis’ targets going to Kincaid, Shakir and Cook could be okay.

With that being said, it feels like FA is shaping up for a 1st round WR and a couple depth vet FAs.

Wishful thinking ,  wr position has been in decline for past 2 seasons and it has reflected with how we see the Bills play

• Agree 1

Add one impact WR, and you're looking at that guy, Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid, and Cook. With Allen behind a decent line, that's a scary lineup to face. One home run, and they go from meh to "Wow!"

• Like (+1) 1

Looks to me like kj’s stats last year were worse than 2021 and 2022

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Wishful thinking ,  wr position has been in decline for past 2 seasons and it has reflected with how we see the Bills play

Bit on a 1st rd wr and that changes quickly 

10 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I hate when people associate players that played at UB as Buffalo natives. Case in point Osborn is from Michigan. He has been a good WR3 in Minny and wouldn't mind him in same role here. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I hate when people associate players that played at UB as Buffalo natives. Case in point Osborn is from Michigan. He has been a good WR3 in Minny and wouldn't mind him in same role here. 

Once a Buffalonian.. Always a Buffalonian!! Him and Mack would be AWESOME grabs

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Bills need an outside receiver/downfield threat.

Hunter Renfrow is a slot guy.

No, I get that. But we need more than one WR brought in and my memory of him was he excels at route running. Could be the new Beasley and allow Shakir to work inside and outside.

Any idea where to find slot vs. wide %? Struggling to find Renfrow’s stats for that.

IF we assume the plan is to use the 1st on a WR to eventually take over the #2 WR then Beane will be looking at a 1 year replacement to take Gabe's outside receiver role. Pretty hard to predict who that'll be with Buff salary cap limits but a few I've been eyeing that they have had interest in in the past would be DJ Chark, Beckem, or Samuel. I am also curious if they would look at MVS for a very low deal basically faster Gabe with worse hands. I know most would hate it but with all these guys the plan would be to ease in the 1st round rookie with average WR4 play behind Diggs, Kincade, and Shakir.

17 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

No, I get that. But we need more than one WR brought in and my memory of him was he excels at route running. Could be the new Beasley and allow Shakir to work inside and outside.

Any idea where to find slot vs. wide %? Struggling to find Renfrow’s stats for that.

The Bills don't need as many WR bodies as everyone seems to be implying.

Going into the season, they will only have 5-6 guys.

Stefon Diggs, Khalil Shakir are the obvious ones.  They also really like Justin Shorter.

I'm absolutely certain Beane is looking to add a WR on either Day 1-2 of the draft.  That already brings you to four guys.

Add one more cheap veteran in Free Agency.  Then vets Andy Isabella and KJ Hamler have the potential to contribute.  Tyrell Shavers also showed some promise in preseason/training camp last year.

1-28: WR, Brian Thomas Jr.

2-60: S, Cameron Kinchens

4-128: DT, McKinnley Jackson

4-134: WR, Brenden Rice

5-144: CB, Kalen King

5-160: DE, Nelson Caesar

5-163: OL, Roger Rosengarten

6-189: WR, Luke McCaffrey

6-200: CB, Johnny Dixon

6-204: LB, Braiden McGregor 

7-248: OL, Charles Turner III

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The Bills don't need as many WR bodies as everyone seems to be implying.

Going into the season, they will only have 5-6 guys.

Stefon Diggs, Khalil Shakir are the obvious ones.  They also really like Justin Shorter.

I'm absolutely certain Beane is looking to add a WR on either Day 1-2 of the draft.  That already brings you to four guys.

Add one more cheap veteran in Free Agency.  Then vets Andy Isabella and KJ Hamler have the potential to contribute.  Tyrell Shavers also showed some promise in preseason/training camp last year.

I think they need to add at least three guys including a WR2 and two others who figure to at least compete for WR4/5. Whether that’s two FAs/one draft or vice versa I do not know although with such a deep draft I hope it is the latter. Not necessarily banging the drum for Renfrow but do not think the slot label should preclude us from signing someone.

4 hours ago, Kaenon said:

1-28: WR, Brian Thomas Jr.

2-60: S, Cameron Kinchens

4-128: DT, McKinnley Jackson

4-134: WR, Brenden Rice

5-144: CB, Kalen King

5-160: DE, Nelson Caesar

5-163: OL, Roger Rosengarten

6-189: WR, Luke McCaffrey

6-200: CB, Johnny Dixon

6-204: LB, Braiden McGregor 

7-248: OL, Charles Turner III

Kinchens is a fringe athlete for a safety and I don’t think he will go in round 2, but the Bills did hire his coach from Miami…

50 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Right here 

I’m not grooving on Mitchell or Franklin or Coleman or Worthy in the first.  Of that group, I guess I’d take Mitchell, but athletic ability aside I worry a bit about his effort - both from game tape and scouting write-ups.  Doesn’t seem very much like Beane/McDermott type.