Bills Cap Status - Approx $4.25 under cap 4/03/2024 (added roster change summary)

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

This is all great in theory, but until it’s done, it’s not done. Beane has until 4pm on March 13th to get his top 51 contracts under the 2024 cap. Even if he accomplishes that goal, he still needs to clear another 10-11 million to sign his draft picks and at least 20 mill more to complete his roster unless he chooses to just use draft picks and guys on futures/reserve deals as his depth next season.  

A team with 101 million cap space beat us with a max capped roster last year, plus Zach Wilson, and Russel Wilson.  Can't wait to see what Mcdefense has to offer this year.  It should open some eyes at least

• Vomit 2

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

This is all great in theory, but until it’s done, it’s not done. Beane has until 4pm on March 13th to get his top 51 contracts under the 2024 cap. Even if he accomplishes that goal, he still needs to clear another 10-11 million to sign his draft picks and at least 20 mill more to complete his roster unless he chooses to just use draft picks and guys on futures/reserve deals as his depth next season.  

Didn't you just say he has until 4pm on March 13th so it's not optional. Don't worry bud, every year he gets where he needs too.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Didn't you just say he has until 4pm on March 13th so it's not optional. Don't worry bud, every year he gets where he needs too.

I think you missed the point of my post.  Getting under the cap isn’t really the issue.  Getting far enough under the cap to sign the draft picks and build roster depth is.

• Disagree 1

Just now, GASabresIUFan said:

I think you missed the point of my post.  Getting under the cap isn’t really the issue.  Getting far enough under the cap to sign the draft picks and build roster depth is.

We aren't going to be players in FA for the first wave,we just can't do it.

We will most likely wait until after we draft to make moves and or after June 1st cuts.  When you start 50 mill over the cap,that's just how it usually pans out.

We have to finally rely on the team they have already drafted and hopefully developed along with this year's draft picks.

It's just time for one year to put the brakes on spending,and I for one am ok with that.   Which means Beane will ha e some massive FA move day 1 on Free agency 🤣

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I'm sure he'll have enough to get his draft picks signed. On the other hand, high priced FAs on opening day of FA is likely not in the works.

Even though we don't have much cap space (currently none at all).. I'm still pretty excited about this upcoming week.

For me, it's going to tell quite a bit about the direction of this organization.  

The Bates trade was an interesting move I hadn't really thought much about until it happened.   Do we see more of that?  Or do we get the Allen restructure plus a couple extensions and call it a day..  For some, that's all they want.  It would signify that they're "running it back" to the extent they can.  For others, like myself, I want to see a vision beyond that.. because that has not been enough.  

Edited by SCBills

Lost a bit of my enthusiasm when Beane signalled we're keep an older costly average center in Morse. Likely he'll be extended which is just a miss in my book. All these extensions may put us in dead cap Hell again. Follow KC's lead and move on from older or expensive players. Draft well and play them, not observe them for a few years like McClappy is inclined to do.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2

26 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Lost a bit of my enthusiasm when Beane signalled we're keep an older costly average center in Morse. Likely he'll be extended which is just a miss in my book. All these extensions may put us in dead cap Hell again. Follow KC's lead and move on from older or expensive players. Draft well and play them, not observe them for a few years like McClappy is inclined to do.

Morse is older - but he isn't old in terms of linemen just yet.  He played great in '23 and could easily have at least 3 more years at a high level.  

I think the team is moving more youthful in quite a few areas, but keeping a few vet leaders around is always a good idea.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

Morse is older - but he isn't old in terms of linemen just yet.  He played great in '23 and could easily have at least 3 more years at a high level.  

I think the team is moving more youthful in quite a few areas, but keeping a few vet leaders around is always a good idea.

True OL's can play into their 30's. I just don't think Morse is worth his cap hit. 

7 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Does anyone have any updated number for the cap and where we are at after all the moves made so far today?

Please and thank you. 🤘

It's moving so fast that nobody knows.

By the end of the day we will be $100m under the cap lol

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

This aged well 😂 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

8 moves today - Cap savings up to a net of just over $33 million.

Moves coming so fast it's hard to keep up.

A Josh restructure will put us on the positive side of the ledger, but who is going to play center with Morse and Bates cut or traded?  I suspect they'll re-sign Morse once the FA period starts.

With Haack's return, how soon until Martin is released.

Edited by GASabresIUFan

4 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

I gave you the eyeball roll reaction but this post aged quite nicely for you, apparently Beane agrees with you! Props, I didn't see it coming. Maybe Beane was playing his cards close the vest or Morse wasn't willing to play ball with a restructure. Either way, with the news on McGovern moving to center and Edwards to LG (and of course the cap savings) I'm starting to see the light.

Edited by vtnatefootball11
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Success said:

Anxiously awaiting one of our cap/math wizards to give us a new total w/ the flurry of moves today....

Spotrac is fully updated:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap//

We are still $19,782,663 OVER the cap, but a simple restructure of Allen's contract will get us under. And there are still plenty of potential moves to be made.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

We are still $19,782,663 OVER the cap, but a simple restructure of Allen's contract will get us back in the positive. And there are still plenty of potential moves to be made.

Hines still on Spotrac so not officially released yet

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, HappyDays said:

We are still $19,782,663 OVER the cap, but a simple restructure of Allen's contract will get us under. And there are still plenty of potential moves to be made.

Came to post this.

Fully updated with today's move including Douglas, but Hines is oddly still there. Not sure if they don't think it's official or what.

So if Hines is really released, we are at -$15m.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Hynes is still there though.  So probably closer to $15m over right now.  And if Beane is cutting Poyer and Morse, gotta think Tre and Von don’t survive.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Hynes is still there though.  So probably closer to $15m over right now.  And if Beane is cutting Poyer and Morse, gotta think Tre and Von don’t survive.  

Von will survive, it's too prohibitive to cut him outright this year. Plus there is a chance he rebounds to near 2022 form and we are thin at DE on the roster as is. Tre will likely restructure but if he's unwilling then yeah he's a goner. There is just no way he can be an elite corner again after those back to back major lower body injuries. 

Edited by vtnatefootball11
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

*Marked Safe* from being released by Brandon Beane. 

Seriously, Tre White is the only big ‘cap savings’ guy left. 

Tre cut per Schefter.  Don't know how to embed tweets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We are still $19,782,663 OVER the cap, but a simple restructure of Allen's contract will get us back in the positive. And there are still plenty of potential moves to be made.

yes, Tre is a likely the next cut as doing it before 3/18 saves us an additional 1.5 million (6 million total toward the cap instead of 4.5 after 3/18)

others to watch out for are Taron who if cut would save 7.5 million (though maybe they extend him instead). Gilliam would save about $1.9 million and Sam Martin about $1.3 million.

Good thing we have all those draft picks this year!

Edited by LEBills

Not certain if all these moves are the right ones — though I'm leaning most if not all are necessary — but the wholesale cutting spree is oddly satisfying and cathartic.

Most logical people though we couldn't "run it back" and expect better results with an aging roster.

• Like (+1) 1

Edit by BuffaloBill (moderator):

I thought I would create one thread and do the following:

• Merge the current cap projection threads
  • Provide a daily update for 2024 in the first post from sportrac and over the cap as being primary sources
  • While not a reliable # yet, update daily, in the first post, the 2025 projections from the same sources
  • The remainder of the thread will contain “normal” chatter on the topic.

2024 projections 3/7/2024 - 9:00 AM:

Sportrac $7,462,633 Over

Overthecap $9,052,381 Over

2025 projections 3/7/2024 - 9:00 AM:

Sportrac $38,898,522 Under

Overthecap $29,041,425 Under

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Original Thread Start by SoonerBillsFan:

Just checked,they seem to be keeping up in real time. But...I don't see how the moves today get us from 42 over to just 19 over.  Something has to have happened we haven't heard about yet?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3