As a Buffalo fan - who is your MLB & NBA team? Help needed

Bills!Win!

Growing up in WNY there’s no other option - I’m a Bills and a Sabres fan. 

As an 8 year old I became a bills fan in 1999 and a sabres fan a few years later. I casually watched baseball when there was nothing else on. Every now and then it would be a Yankees game because of the YES network. Around that same time I found myself watching Lakers games during intermissions of the Stanley cup playoff games because they were a very talented team and always making championship runs 

Fast forward to 2010. I met this Yankees fan from the Albany area who is a drop dead gorgeous 10. In 2014 I marry her and move east to the Albany area. Now that I’ve lived here for almost a decade I have come to despise the downstate fans with a passion. 

As far as the NBA, the last game I watched was when Lebron won the championship with the Cavaliers. It has become too political since then so I’ve lost interest. Now that Lebron is a Laker it just rubs me the wrong way. Jordan will always be the greatest. 

I have the sudden urge to become more of a baseball fan this summer and I’m not sure why. My heart says to follow the Blue Jays because of their geographical location to Buffalo and because Josh Allen went and did a batting practice with them which I thought was cool. That really rooted some interest for me. I get the sense that they’re almost like a defacto team for Buffalo fans. My fathers family is from Canada and as a casual baseball fan I really enjoyed the Bautista Bat Flip as well. 

Here is my dilemma, I would like to root for the Blue Jays, however, my Yankees fan wife said she would not be happy if I became a fan of any other team besides the Yankees. I don’t think I can bring myself to root for the Yankees because I find their fans (and my inlaws) so fairweather. The team has also become pretty flat and stale in my opinion.

Here is where it gets tricky. She is as loyal as they come when it comes to being a fan of her sports teams. She hated football until I took her to a Bills game in 2022 and now she is a bigger fan of the Bills than I am. I finally converted her to the follow the football team that I love. If I go against the baseball team that she roots for so loyally, that will be a dagger in her heart. 

What do I do? 

Edited by Bills!Win!

Love my hometown Orlando Magic!

Looking like a playoff team this year after over a decade of “re-building”.

They are a team to watch over the next 5+ years, as they have a great young core of players.

Go Magic!!

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Success said:

Root for the Yankees.  Soto & Judge back to back in the line-up is going to be all kinds of fun.

I'm Yankees & Knicks.  NY all the way.

Lol Soto is great.  Enjoy your one year of the Boras client.  Judge is still crying about his boo boo foot.

NBA: Dallas Mavericks, because of Dirk (I am German).

MLB: Atlanta Braves. When I came to the States and got interested in baseball, they had the "Big Three" (Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz) that were fascinating to watch.

Edited by DrW

MLB- San Francisco and Toronto.  One from each league. SF because when I lived in Northern California, I went to a lot of games during their World Series run last decade. Great fans and a fantastic ballpark. 

Toronto because they're the closest.

NBA- None. I'm a cheap date when it comes to basketball. I'll watch the Final. 

I loved the Braves…….but they moved. (You might have heard.)  I enjoyed the Bird/Magic era and watching Jordan, but my interest has waned to right about zero now. IF I had a favorite team, it was probably the Celtics who knocked us out of the playoffs regularly. Go figure.

When they talk NBA now, I listen to music. I don’t even watch the Finals. They ticked me off by coasting thru regular season games we paid a fortune to attend with our kids. My son turned to me and said “They’re not even trying!” Yep.  

My son was a very good little baseball player. They called after one season and asked if he wanted to play 2nd base and be leadoff hitter on the All-Star team. He said “Do I have to? Half the guys are just standing around, and the other half are sitting.”  That was music to my ears! From the mouthes of babes. 

I’m pretty much just a Bills fan, and I enjoy my college hoops team. My son went to FSU and his wife went to UGA, so I watch a good bit of them too living in Atlanta. 

Edited by Augie

Growing up in Rochester when they were an Orioles farm, I immediately latched on to the Birds.  Saw Don Baylor, Bobby Grich, Mike Flanagan, Al Bumbry, Mike Mussina, Mike Boddicker, Cal and countless others at Silver Stadium on their way to the bigs.

NBA? Meh...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As a kid I adored Rickey Henderson and became an A's team and been with them ever since. Yet with them moving to Vegas I might have to move on to Toronto since their proximity to Buffalo/playing here during Covid. I really don't follow the NBA, I liked the Nuggets during the Motombo era but not really followed anyone to say I'd say they're my team.

• Agree 1

I am still loyal to the Buffalo Braves/San Diego/Los Angeles Clippers. I was a hardcore Buffalo Braves fan in there Kleinhan’s Junior Braves club. I liked the Buffalo Braves more than the 1970’s Buffalo Bills that weren’t very good. The Buffalo Bills were third for me as a kid. I preferred the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Braves over the losing Buffalo Bills that had to deal with Ralph Wilson’s cheapness and meddling. It’s not my fault the Buffalo Braves moved from Buffalo when I was 10 years old. I never stopped rooting for the San Diego/Los Angeles Clippers. It was hard in the beginning when they moved from Buffalo because all you got was newspaper box scores to see how Randy Smith and Swen Nater did that night. The San Diego/Los Angeles Clippers were rarely on television.

Today with streaming services you get all the Los Angeles Clippers games on television and they still honor their Buffalo Braves heritage so the Clippers are my favorite NBA team and the New York Yankees are my favorite MLB team. I grew up with the Thurman Munson, Reggie Jackson Yankees with the Burger King cards and the Reggie Bars and the Yankees were good and on television and radio here. Also I already know if the Buffalo Bills or Buffalo Sabres ever moved out of Buffalo potentially I would still follow the Bills and Sabres franchise in their new city. Because it’s not my fault as a Buffalo sports fan that the teams got a better deal and our area leaders let them potentially walk because of money. I don’t make those decisions. I am not giving up something I grew up with for years and enjoyed. The poor Western New York economics has nothing to do with me as a Buffalo fan. The only way I switch teams is if Buffalo got a replacement team in NFL, NHL, NBA etc. I have no connection to other NFL, NHL and NBA city franchises so why would I become a fan of the enemy team because the Buffalo Braves moved it makes zero sense. I can’t stand the New York Knicks or the Boston Celtics or the Philadelphia 76ers they were our Atlantic Division rivals so hell would freeze over before I start rooting for the Knicks or Celtics or 76ers. As a Los Angeles Clippers fan I am very excited about the new Intuit Dome opening up for my Clippers next season. It’s going to be one of the best NBA arenas in the United States no corners were cut. Steve Balmer is a fabulous NBA owner who will win multiple NBA championships it’s just a matter of time in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Sabres! Go Clippers! Go Yankees! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan

Moved to Houston and adopted the Astros and Rockets.  I did not care about basketball or baseball while living in WNY but now I'm a loyal fan whenever the Stros and Rockets are in the post season.  Otherwise I don't give two f@#$s about either team.

MLB? Phillies because I've lived here longer than NY at this point and I can't stand the Yankees and Blue Jays. Only championship a team that I watch and semi care about has won, so thanks for that adopted home.  I was a Mets fan when I was a kid, but then I learned they were all on coke so that kind of wrecked the innocence of it for me. Piss on the Mets, so that lines up with being a Phillies fan as well.

The NBA is dead to me.  I liked the Patrick Ewing/John Starks/Charles Oakley era Knicks but I haven't paid any attention to the NBA in almost 20 years now. 

MLB.  Red Sox.  In fact, it was my first major league game -- back in 1995.  They suck once again, and probably always will, now that ownership doesn't want to spend anymore, and now that they are spending again consistently do so foolishly.  I can't quibble with 4 championships in my lifetime, so here I am, but again, they suck.  The Boston Bisons were my gateway drug to baseball; having grown up in the region I became obsessed as a teen when they built "Pilot Field".

NBA.  I enjoy watching games, but I don't have a team.

Edited by TheCockSportif

• 2 weeks later...