KC makes Sneed available for Trade

5 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

I mean it’s not unwarranted right? They’ve been the most successful team the last 5-6 years. Winning 3 Championships while not being cap strapped. Drafting and developing players to turnover roster after roster without skipping a beat. That’s admirable. They’ve been better than everyone else at doing that. With a copy cat league like the NFL other teams will try to emulate as they should. 

It's way over the top.  We didn't post this much about the Patriots when they ran the division for 2 decades.

I almost feel like this is a KC board, between the worship & some of their fans taking over the conversations (and literally within days of winning their 2nd consecutive, which I will never understand, like ever).

Used to be a good safe space for a Bills homer like me to post.  Kinda miss those days.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This is literally bull####
You have absolutely no idea what their plans are

You’ve gotten angry in your age sir. I’m used to you just saying we have two elite players in response to stuff like that.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Success said:

It's way over the top.  We didn't post this much about the Patriots when they ran the division for 2 decades.

I almost feel like this is a KC board, between the worship & some of their fans taking over the conversations (and literally within days of winning their 2nd consecutive, which I will never understand, like ever).

Used to be a good safe space for a Bills homer like me to post.  Kinda miss those days.

I hear ya. Not just here but also every football show seemingly leads with KC headlines. We just have to come to term with KC being a dynasty now. Personally, I try to leave the emotions out of it. They’re at the top and deserve the respect. You can’t beat your opponent if you don’t respect and learn from them. Just my view.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Success said:

Yeah I’m a proud homer, it’s tough to sit back and not jump into some of these over the top conversations and try to defend some deserving players, but it’s like whack a mole, the next thread is up before you get outta the last one.

I do think the fact the pretty much everyone was in the same boat with knowing would couldn’t compete with NE, had lots to do with why there was much less NE threads, we all know the Bills are more than capable of beating KC so it lends to much more discussion.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

I hear ya. Not just here but also every football show seemingly leads with KC headlines. We just have to come to term with KC being a dynasty now. Personally, I try to leave the emotions out of it. They’re at the top and deserve the respect. You can’t beat your opponent if you don’t respect and learn from them. Just my view.

Don't forget Mahomes & Kelce in every other commercial!

I respect KC.  I respected the Pats, too.

I'm just getting annoyed w/ the state of this board.  I don't really come here to lavish praise on the Chiefs all of the time.  Some discussion is fine, but it's bordering on obsession these days.  

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This is literally bull####
You have absolutely no idea what their plans are

This is putting KC in a win/win scenario.

Let Sneed's agent go out there and find a team that will trade for him and give him $$$.  KC will probably get a 1st and a lower round pick for him.

IF Sneed can't find any takers, well, resign him to a long term deal...

Worst case scenario, nobody wants him, can't resign him and your stuck w/ the Franchise tag on him.

When are Franchise tag designations need to be turned in to the NFL?

Maybe you get the deal done even before you have to tag him??

2 minutes ago, julian said:.

I do think the fact the pretty much everyone was in the same boat with knowing would couldn’t compete with NE, had lots to do with why there was much less NE threads, we all know the Bills are more than capable of beating KC so it lends to much more discussion.

This is such a great point!

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Don't forget Mahomes & Kelce in every other commercial!

I respect KC.  I respected the Pats, too.

I'm just getting annoyed w/ the state of this board.  I don't really come here to lavish praise on the Chiefs all of the time.  Some discussion is fine, but it's bordering on obsession these days.  

I agree completely about the commercials. They’re getting out of hand. Can you imagine how many more are on the way this offseason? If Taylor Swifts ends up in a commercial with the Chiefs I might puke. Fudge. 

As for the discussion topics I think because KC is our main obstacle any Bills discussion of being successful will involve them. So be it. If the first page ever gets filled with all KC threads I’ll be on the picket line with you protesting. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

Came here to post just this.

Meanwhile we're over here with post-injury Tre and 30 year old Douglas, acting afraid to do anything with either of them. 

Afraid? Douglas is signed for next year. And Tre was playing well after his AC, and why would you do something with him until you know how his is when recovered? Either you have a great trade piece if they chose, or a guy who at worst is CB2.

Douglas is prime for a contract extension. He definitely has potential to be our CB1 with the way he played at the end of the year with a 1/2 season on our team.

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 1

The Chiefs are not giving a 27-year old CB (with zero Pro Bowls or individual awards) who played great in a contract year the long term contract in the ballpark he's looking for.  That contract would be one only the Saints would love. 

4 minutes ago, dpberr said:

The Chiefs are not giving a 27-year old CB (with zero Pro Bowls or individual awards) who played great in a contract year the long term contract in the ballpark he's looking for.  That contract would be one only the Saints would love. 

He’s the best CB in the league.  If the Chiefs don’t retain him, it’s because they can’t afford him.  It would have nothing to do with his lack of talent.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Huh. You realized this is the first year Spags has a top defense for KC right? It’s because of them drafting and developing players like Snead. Spags system didn’t produce him. His ability (along with McDuffie’s) locking up opponents’ receivers is what enabled Spags pressure packages to work so effectively. 

I hope another team ponies up for his services. Because if he’s back with KC next season expect their defense to keep being one of the best. 

I mean it’s not unwarranted right? They’ve been the most successful team the last 5-6 years. Winning 3 Championships while not being cap strapped. Drafting and developing players to turnover roster after roster without skipping a beat. That’s admirable. They’ve been better than everyone else at doing that. With a copy cat league like the NFL other teams will try to emulate as they should. 

I hope someone ponies up for Sneed as well.  I just don't want KC to receive draft capital for him and that's my point.  Go ahead and offer Sneed the big bucks as a free agent, but if he's tagged, keep your 1st round pick and draft a CB in the first round and let KC be on the hook for the big payout.

I don't disagree that Sneed is an outstanding corner.  However, haven't there been players that were probowlers on one team and just ordinary on the next?  (Wasn't there a CB on the Panthers that did just that?)   When I said difference maker, my point was a team has to ask itself will Sneed be the difference maker to propel my team into the SB?  There aren't many teams that could say that...and in the meantime, you've just awarded KC more draft capital to replace him and save the huge cap dollars.

50 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Afraid? Douglas is signed for next year. And Tre was playing well after his AC, and why would you do something with him until you know how his is when recovered? Either you have a great trade piece if they chose, or a guy who at worst is CB2.

Douglas is prime for a contract extension. He definitely has potential to be our CB1 with the way he played at the end of the year with a 1/2 season on our team.

Rasul Douglas will be 30 years old when the season starts.   He’s good. Is that where we want to spend 10M?   Is that the type of player we should extend in the Secondary?

Tre White is coming off two major injuries.   We will have no way of knowing what he is until late in camp.. at best.  He took a while to come back off the last injury.  Now it’s two.  

Cutting both of them and going young in the Secondary makes us players for a Hollywood Brown or a multiple pieces on the DL (for example). 

It’s a risk, but Benford is very good.  Elam has shown flashes but is not someone we should count on.   So we draft 2-3 corners in Rounds 3-6 and tell Elam it’s his job this summer to fight off the draft picks for CB2. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 90sBills said:

The NFL Network especially!  The Chiefs are great.  We all get it.  However...outside of KC fans...we're all tired of being reminded.   As soon as I see them heading toward the KC love fest, I change the channel.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Rasul Douglas will be 30 years old when the season starts.   He’s good. Is that where we want to spend 10M?   Is that the type of player we should extend in the Secondary?

Tre White is coming off two major injuries.   We will have no way of knowing what he is until late in camp.. at best.  He took a while to come back off the last injury.  Now it’s two.  

Cutting both of them and going young in the Secondary makes us players for a Hollywood Brown or a multiple pieces on the DL (for example). 

I loved how Douglas played for us this year.  But I agree w/ this - let's roll w/ Elam, Benford & Johnson.  And they can grab someone later in the draft, too.  If there is one position that this staff knows how to develop, it's CB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think the Chiefs are going to keep Sneed. I think it's a clear tag-and-trade situation. In a perfect world, they'd trade Sneed for an elite receiver, which would then give them the flexibility to get a receiver in either Rd 1 or Rd 2 of the draft. If they don't get a veteran receiver pre draft, I think it's a near certainty that they draft receiver in the first round.

The most likely scenario is they trade Sneed for draft picks to help them rebuild their wide receivers and add depth at OL. 

The Chiefs have four very cheap options at cornerback already with McDuffie on a rookie deal, plus Joshua Williams and Jaylen Watson also on rookie deals. Nazeeh Johnson, a former 7th-round pick, was actually slated to be a starting cornerback for the Chiefs this year before his injury. He will be back in the fold. And yes, he's on a rookie deal. 

“I’m really sad to see that happen [to] Nazeeh [Johnson],” Spagnuolo said. “He was really climbing. If you guys notice he was taking reps with the first group because he had earned it. He’s got a really good corner skill set. I mean, he played safety in college, but so hopefully, you know, we’ll pray he gets healthy real quick and gets back.”

Spagnuolo has plenty of options remaining in the secondary, but the loss of Johnson was clearly disappointing to the veteran coordinator, who seemed to have big plans in store for the rising young defender.

Playing Williams and Watson only 30-40% of the snaps—and Johnson perhaps the same or less—doesn't make any sense. Those picks were hits and you get them cheaply. Letting them ride pine in favor of an expensive veteran mitigates the advantage they've earned to go extremely cheap at the position. 

Just now, Success said:

I loved how Douglas played for us this year.  But I agree w/ this - let's roll w/ Elam, Benford & Johnson.  And they can grab someone later in the draft, too.  If there is one position that this staff knows how to develop, it's CB.

Yup.  

This isn’t a knock on Douglas.  He’s very good.  Played great for us until he got hurt, which unfortunately lined up with the KC game. 

This is about roster construction and asset allocation now, and moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I hope someone ponies up for Sneed as well.  I just don't want KC to receive draft capital for him and that's my point.  Go ahead and offer Sneed the big bucks as a free agent, but if he's tagged, keep your 1st round pick and draft a CB in the first round and let KC be on the hook for the big payout.

I don't disagree that Sneed is an outstanding corner.  However, haven't there been players that were probowlers on one team and just ordinary on the next?  (Wasn't there a CB on the Panthers that did just that?)   When I said difference maker, my point was a team has to ask itself will Sneed be the difference maker to propel my team into the SB?  There aren't many teams that could say that...and in the meantime, you've just awarded KC more draft capital to replace him and save the huge cap dollars.

That’s why I think KC will tag him. For the picks. Detroit is a good spot. Their secondary needs help. 

1 minute ago, 90sBills said:

That’s why I think KC will tag him. For the picks. Detroit is a good spot. Their secondary needs help. 

Detroit has drafted well.  They'd be better served taking one of the top corners in the draft.  They should be in a position to get one.

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

I agree, but that’s why I’d draft a couple corners in the mid-rounds.   Benford & Elam both going into Year 3 and then draft 2-3 guys to compete with Elam Rounds 3–6. 

I don’t expect them to do that at all, but if I ask myself what would KC do?… they’d probably use 10M + Tre’s money somewhere else besides a CB coming off two major injuries and another turning 30 by the time the season starts. 

Who is to say that they will not do that they’ve been pretty good about drafting at least one cornerback every year

13 hours ago, ngbills said:

Plus $14M to Dawson Knox which is essentially Kelce money and 5 times what they pay Gray as TE#2.

Between Miller, Tre and Knox that is $55M in cap. 

the injuries to Von and Tre are not on the team.  just unfortunate events.   If Chris Jones and Kelce went down for the year, does that mean Reid should be fired for going 8-8?   

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

It’s a risk, but Benford is very good.  Elam has shown flashes but is not someone we should count on.   So we draft 2-3 corners in Rounds 3-6 and tell Elam it’s his job this summer to fight off the draft picks for CB2. 

I get what you are saying. 

Tre could give us a discount.  Doubt it. Douglas is 7 million this season, no corner his ability would come that cheap.  He played exceptionally well at the end if the season.  Yes. Benford played very well but Douglas is better.  Not counting Tre out until we see how he performs.

As for Elam? I wouldn’t count him as more than CB4 if he improves.  He has skills staying with his man for sure. He is a liability tracking the ball and the ability to play the man and the ball simultaneously.  Yeah, he had a nice end zone int.  That was a flash, not consistent enough.

I’d make sure the defensive backfield is well stocked. If they fo their job It makes the defensive line better.  Even if we were loaded with studs on the d-line, low talent, or unproven defensive backs can kill you.

And don’t forget. Whatever money we have, we have to address our safeties.

Edited by davefan66

Looks like KC has a plan and aren't afraid to roll with it every season. I mean, they look like a franchise who just seems to "get it"......i kind of wish our FO actually knew what the hell they were doing, instead of looking like they are just making stuff up as they go.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

I love how they plan to be healthy in the playoffs...

Except for several starters being out this postseason, several injuries to key players last postseason, and their entire OL in 2020. 

But there is some planning involved in avoiding a rash of injuries. There’s a reason that teams like the Titans and Ravens seem to always have numerous injuries and KC doesn’t. 

13 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Belichick playing solitaire 

So that’s what it’s called nowadays…, 

Edited by Don Otreply

12 hours ago, Success said:

KC worship & KC paranoia are getting pretty carried away on this board.

I get that they have been a nemesis in the playoffs, but some fans are getting way over the top.

True, I mean this board is unreadable sometimes.  It's not like KC hasn't made mistakes (Toney trade, drafting CEH round 1, drafting Sky Moore, etc)

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, 90sBills said:

Praising their success is warranted.

Pretending that every move they make is genius... that's just going too far.  

It reminds me of watching the NFL Draft and how every analyst would LOSE THEIR MINDS when Bill Belichick made a trade.  "OH MY GOSH!  HE MOVED DOWN THREE PICKS.  HE'S PLAYING CHESS WHILE THE REST OF THE LEAGUE PLAYS CHECKERS."  Well, not exactly.  Now we see that without Tom Brady, the guy is actually a blow average GM and not really great at building a roster.

I mean, Sneed is a good player.  He's a free agent.  The Chiefs have some options, and are considering tagging him and trading him.  Maybe a team will give them a 1st Round Pick.  Maybe not.  Who really knows?  And just because they were able to continue success without Tyreek Hill, doesn't mean they will have no issues getting rid of their top corner.  

As I've said before.  It's amazing how a few close plays/games can totally change the narrative.

The Chiefs barely scraped by the Bills, Ravens and 49ers.  They easily could have lost any of those three games, if only a play or two were flipped.  And if that happened, they would be getting tons of criticism for failing to surround Patrick Mahomes with enough receiving weapons, and protecting him with mediocre tackles.  Instead the story is that Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson and Kyle Shanahan are postseason chokers, and the Chiefs are going to match the Patriots dynasty.

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, Success said:

I get that they have been a nemesis in the playoffs, but some fans are getting way over the top.

I agree, one more completion in the playoffs and this would be moot.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I love how they plan to be healthy in the playoffs...

It’s kind of embarrassing that we didn’t think of that first. Time to sharpen the pitchfork and load up on torch fuel. 

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Praising their success is warranted.

Pretending that every move they make is genius... that's just going too far.  

It reminds me of watching the NFL Draft and how every analyst would LOSE THEIR MINDS when Bill Belichick made a trade.  "OH MY GOSH!  HE MOVED DOWN THREE PICKS.  HE'S PLAYING CHESS WHILE THE REST OF THE LEAGUE PLAYS CHECKERS."  Well, not exactly.  Now we see that without Tom Brady, the guy is actually a blow average GM and not really great at building a roster.

I mean, Sneed is a good player.  He's a free agent.  The Chiefs have some options, and are considering tagging him and trading him.  Maybe a team will give them a 1st Round Pick.  Maybe not.  Who really knows?  And just because they were able to continue success without Tyreek Hill, doesn't mean they will have no issues getting rid of their top corner.  

As I've said before.  It's amazing how a few close plays/games can totally change the narrative.

The Chiefs barely scraped by the Bills, Ravens and 49ers.  They easily could have lost any of those three games, if only a play or two were flipped.  And if that happened, they would be getting tons of criticism for failing to surround Patrick Mahomes with enough receiving weapons, and protecting him with mediocre tackles.  Instead the story is that Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson and Kyle Shanahan are postseason chokers, and the Chiefs are going to match the Patriots dynasty.

Agreed. Not every KC move needs to be lauded as genius. What’s more important to me is their overall philosophy of doing business when you have the guy at QB. It affords them the ability to move on from great players, still in their prime, to accumulate pieces for the team. 

They drafted Snead in the lower rounds and developed him. Now they’re reaping that reward. By tagging him they will get a first if someone else wants him. It also allows the market to set his price and have the right to match. It’s not genius but it’s definitely a great move.

NFL teams are closely matched because of the cap. It’s a design purpose. So when you say a team ‘scraped’ by another team that means they beat them. There aren’t style points in the NFL. Great teams make those extra 1 or 2 plays to get the win. In KC’s case this year they did that 3 times in a row against very good teams in the highest of pressured situations. That’s not easy to do. Bills, Balt, SF couldn’t do it. 

Unfortunately Bills are a good team but not a great team yet. So that leaves us fans with a lot of feel good ‘what if’ scenarios. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Success said:

Don’t forget to add a dash of Buffalo defeatism.

A couple weeks ago, Joe Marino did a whole episode on the Chiefs’ MO and how they got where they are.  It’s definitely with a listen and highly relevant given that the Chiefs are the Bills’ primary rival and share fact that they are able to build around a top tier franchise QB.  Marino noted that the Chiefs have only three starters from their 2020 Super Bowl team, and that since drafting Mahomes, they’ve spent 17 of their 24 premium draft picks on defense. Getting ready to move on from Sneed seems consistent with their long-term philosophy.

Edited by mannc
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, SCBills said:

Came here to post just this.

Meanwhile we're over here with post-injury Tre and 30 year old Douglas, acting afraid to do anything with either of them. 

I think Beane has done okay on getting value in our second contracts with players, which is what KC has failed to do here. I’m not sure what your point is.