Looks like Baker Mayfield to become FA

Gregg

19 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

at least call Mike Evans agent to see if he would have interest in coming here.  We could create the cap room for him if we actually wanted him. 

So different teams/GMs have different strategies and sometimes it works, sometimes not.  For example, Denver has developed a pattern of trying to “buy greatness” at QB.  They managed it with Peyton Manning on the shoulders of a fantastic defense, but with Russ Wilson it fizzled.

Beane and McDermott have been trying to “buy greatness” at Edge/DL and WR, because our attempts to develop it have been “good not great” (AJE, Rousseau, and Basham at Edge, Harrison Phillips at DT, Zay Jones, Gabe Davis, and Khalil Shakir at WR)

The intrinsic problem with that is Old Bodies with a lot of football miles on them, don’t hold up through a long season as well as young bodies.  And if they try to save themselves by taking themselves out for breathers or taking plays off, well, that gets to be a habit.  Then you’re paying them to be great, but they’re good.  Double whammy.

Could the Bills make cap room for Evans, I’m sure, but they’d for sure be giving up talent in other areas to do that, and then See Above on the intrinsic problem.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 2/20/2024 at 10:23 AM, Cray51 said:

Baker is a Geno Smith type talent in the league.  He can bring you into the playoffs if your team is strong, but he wont put you over the top.  For a team who has been average for a while (Raiders/Bucs/Saints) it makes sense to bring him in.

For a bottom dweller, draft a QB.  For a good team, you dont need to look his way.

Bring you to the playoffs, but not put you over the top. That sounds like a Head Coach that we all know and love.

• Like (+1) 2

This seems to be a theme with Baker . He goes to the Browns has a really good year then gets hurt & plays any way but can't play well so they get rid of him then after a year with the Panthers and doesn't do very well but in Tampa takes them to the play offs & gets his money & a thank you for participating .

2 hours ago, BBFL said:

I can’t see what avenue the Pats choose him over Mayo getting a guy for the future. Especially when they are sitting at #3 and can get one of the trio you mentioned. Plenty of cap space to build a team for whomever they draft. Throwing anywhere from $25m-35m on Baker would be a huge loss if they’re sitting in that position. 

While I get your thought process it isn’t the best option for that organization to give the keys to a guy who’s had ups and downs that found himself in the right situation last year. 

Rookie QBs are cheap, they could easily have Baker as the bridge guy if they wanted.

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

Rookie QBs are cheap, they could easily have Baker as the bridge guy if they wanted.

Yeah, they could but I don’t see why you enter the Mayfield race if that’s the idea. You could pick up Brissett (familiar to the franchise), Tannehill, Minshew, Darnold or Drew Lock if you’re looking for a guy to just sit in the seat until you feel the rookie is ready. All 5 of them should be significantly cheaper than Baker. 

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Fields is terrible. People keep trying to make him some guy who has just been overlooked but he hasn't been much better than Tyson Bagent this year. He's just too streaky to be the guy and if you are asking after 3 years, you already know the answer

He's inconsistent. His deep ball is good and obviously the rushing ability. He struggles with short and middle throwing. I think you get him to a QB guru and he's easily a top 15 QB

4 hours ago, H2o said:

I guess you couldn't catch on to the sarcasm in that statement :thumbsup:

On the Andy Dalton talk though, he's washed. He's nothing more than a journeyman backup at this point, I don't care who you put around him (minus that 49ers team. I think Shanahan could make any QB look serviceable). Baker is definitely a better option than him, on any team. 

I disagree.  Easy for Baker to look good with the talent he had around him in Tampa.   He's fools gold.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Fields is terrible. People keep trying to make him some guy who has just been overlooked but he hasn't been much better than Tyson Bagent this year. He's just too streaky to be the guy and if you are asking after 3 years, you already know the answer

Spoilers: the dude who had to change schools because he couldn’t beat out JAKE FROMM may not be any good.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dma0034 said:

He's inconsistent. His deep ball is good and obviously the rushing ability. He struggles with short and middle throwing. I think you get him to a QB guru and he's easily a top 15 QB

Easily? He’s sucked as a passer for 3 years. It’s not like he hasn’t had proper coaching or good talent. Kmet is good TE and their running game has been very good while he’s been there. This year with DJ Moore he had 1 game over 300 yards.  That’s not a high bar for him to overcome and he just hasn’t done it. Is that suddenly going to change in year 4? I highly doubt it 

6 hours ago, BBFL said:

I can’t see what avenue the Pats choose him over Mayo getting a guy for the future. Especially when they are sitting at #3 and can get one of the trio you mentioned. Plenty of cap space to build a team for whomever they draft. Throwing anywhere from $25m-35m on Baker would be a huge loss if they’re sitting in that position. 

While I get your thought process it isn’t the best option for that organization to give the keys to a guy who’s had ups and downs that found himself in the right situation last year. 

I think you misread my post.  I hope the Pats sign Baker and pass on a qb for the reasons you just laid out.

Edited by Doc Brown

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I disagree.  Easy for Baker to look good with the talent he had around him in Tampa.   He's fools gold.  

Baker looked good a couple of years in Cleveland too, without Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. They almost beat the Chiefs in the Playoffs. Andy Dalton on the other hand is on the tail end of a solid, but not spectacular career. I know Baker will want to maximize his value while he can, but he's still gonna have to take what he will get. No one is saying he is elite or deserves elite money. I can see someone giving him a Geno Smith type of contract. He (Geno) got paid off of a single year worth of production while having some good talent around him as well. And Geno had done absolutely nothing in his career prior to that single season. Just because you don't like him doesn't mean no one will take that chance, especially with a QB. Your feelings about Baker are probably on par with mine about JJ McCarthy from Michigan. 

28 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I think you misread my post.  I hope the Pats sign Baker and pass it n a qb for the reasons you just laid out.

Oh, I thought you were implying that’s something they should do. 

49 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Oh, I thought you were implying that’s something they should do. 

Yeah.  They're at a super interesting spot in the draft and it all depends on how they feel about the top three QB prospects.  If the Bears stick with Fields then I could see the Patriots trading their 3rd overall to jump up and draft Caleb Williams.  I could also see them staying put and drafting Jayden Daniels or Drake Maye at three.  They could also trade back if the value is right for a team that falls in love with one of the top three QB's available.  They also could just draft Marvin Harrison Jr. at three and sign a veteran QB like Mayfield.  Tough decisions in Foxboro.  

4 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Bucs are gonna Buc.  They are idiots, best QB in years for them and they don't want to pay him. 

Um Hello, three years ago Tampa won the Super Bowl with Tom Brady,  Two years ago they went 13-3 with him.  Last year he was dregs, but in 2020 and 2021 Baker couldn’t tie Brady’s shoelaces or carry his jock.

4 hours ago, dma0034 said:

The problem is what are you going to do with a top 15 QB that's going to get paid nearly as much a a top 5 guy ? His comparables are guys like Daniel Jones and Derek Carr. Maybe you can make the wildcard while paying a QB like that but you'll never go far

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Baker looked good a couple of years in Cleveland too, without Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. They almost beat the Chiefs in the Playoffs. Andy Dalton on the other hand is on the tail end of a solid, but not spectacular career. I know Baker will want to maximize his value while he can, but he's still gonna have to take what he will get. No one is saying he is elite or deserves elite money. I can see someone giving him a Geno Smith type of contract. He (Geno) got paid off of a single year worth of production while having some good talent around him as well. And Geno had done absolutely nothing in his career prior to that single season. Just because you don't like him doesn't mean no one will take that chance, especially with a QB. Your feelings about Baker are probably on par with mine about JJ McCarthy from Michigan. 

I just don't see the appeal of a middling QB that won't lead you to a Super Bowl.  

May as well sign Brissett or Flacco for cheaper.  

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Captain mediocrity

Career record of 17-4 with a career QB rating of 111, and 44-15 TD to INT. If that's mediocrity,  sign me up.  Especially for a 2nd year QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, dma0034 said:

“”Easily a top 15 QB”

I could be mistaken, but I don’t think you want to pay a guy whose ceiling is perceived as “top 15 QB”.  

That’s probably not the path to a championship

In a way he is just a guy, but he did a lot of good for the Bucs.  Living in Tampa for 30 years I’m very fond of the Bucs.  I say this every time, but I’ll die bleeding red, white, and royal blue.  With that said, I’ve come to root for the Bucs in the NFC.

I believe the Bucs are just playing the negotiating game with Mayfield.  I truly believe they will make some offer at some point.  He’s good for the Bucs, and he had probably his best year.

13 hours ago, cle23 said:

Career record of 17-4 with a career QB rating of 111, and 44-15 TD to INT. If that's mediocrity,  sign me up.  Especially for a 2nd year QB.

Cool, let's see him do that on a team like, say, the Jets.

The man is the beneficiary of the most talented offense in the league, a HOF RB, and a coach that made Matt Ryan look like a football god

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

The man is the beneficiary of the most talented offense in the league, a HOF RB, and a coach that made Matt Ryan look like a football god

That's not fair though.  Josh Allen wouldn't look like Josh Allen on the Jets either.  He'd still be very good, but he wouldn't be as good as he is now.  

Purdy definitely benefits from a good offense, but he himself is very good too.

• Disagree 2

2 hours ago, cle23 said:

That's not fair though.  Josh Allen wouldn't look like Josh Allen on the Jets either.  He'd still be very good, but he wouldn't be as good as he is now.  

Purdy definitely benefits from a good offense, but he himself is very good too.

That's nuts. Purdy doesn't have the physical gifts to overcome a lack of talent around him. Mediocre arm strength, not great size.

• Agree 1

On 2/22/2024 at 2:45 PM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

That's nuts. Purdy doesn't have the physical gifts to overcome a lack of talent around him. Mediocre arm strength, not great size.

You're just making stuff up at this point.  Yes, Purdy isn't 6'5" 240, but he is 6'1" and 220.  Again, not many are like Allen.  Not everyone has a rocket arm.  And that's ok.  Plenty of top tier QBs didn't have elite arm strength.  Plus, Shanahan's offense doesn't ask a quarterback to throw down field non stop.  He asks for more timing, crossing routes, which Purdy is excellent at.  

Purdy is a bit of a system QB, but to act like ANY QB can be a system QB is insane.  Lance was gabage in the offense. Garrapolo wasn't much better.  Suddenly, Purdy comes in and the offense takes off but has nothing to do with him?

Edited by cle23
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

If Baker likes living in Florida maybe his agent should check out the Finns. I think they'd be better off paying Baker than Tua. At least he wouldn't continuously underthrow Hill and Waddle. Probably much sturdier than Tua as well.

Not happening but if I were a Finnfan I'd rather have Baker.

• Agree 2

On 2/20/2024 at 9:29 AM, BBFL said:

If the Pats and Jets beat us with rough QB play I’d rather he stays out of the division. Guy looked pretty competent and played very well last season. That could be a flash in the pan year but he’s certainly shown the substance to be a starter in this league. A competent one who can win games at that. 

Feel there will be several teams reaching out to his agent for his services, those two you mentioned would have to be included. 

We had trouble with the Maytag repair man with the Chargers , yeah I’d rather not see him in our division.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Yeah, scouts just missed on him. I get it, he doesn’t look like a pro QB, but he’s the real deal

Have to agree, but his OL and skill players are exceptional at all levels.  Give something like that to Josh and this offense would never punt, even when we do shotgun handoffs and awfully designed WR screen plays. 

• Eyeroll 2

Baker was not ready for NFL and was rebuilt by Alex Van Pelt.  They took away is ability to ad lib restricting offense until he learned how to read correctly.

Looked for article on it but cannot find it now.

Former Browns OC Alex Van Pelt is now OC for P*ts.  

Baker would be a good addition for them. 

Bucs interviewed Van Pelt for OC and choose someone else which might hurt them.

Patriots Offensive Free Agent Targets For Alex Van Pelt Ft. Mike Evans, Tee Higgins & Baker Mayfield

https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/new-patriots-oc-alex-van-pelt-reveals-traits-he-values-most-in-qbs/589860/

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2024 at 7:33 AM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

You realize Matt Ryan was a top 5 QB before Shannahan and after.  In fact, 2 sesason after Shannahan left, Ryan put up nearly an identical season to his MVP season.  

The amount of over exaggeration Shannahan gets about Matt Ryan is insane.  In fact, the fact that Shannahan is even considered a QB guru in the first place is a joke.  The first QB he has ever developed in his career is Purdy.  Kubiak found and developed Schaub who was as good after Shannahan left.  He was only with Ryan 2 seasons in his prime who put up similar seasons without Shannahan...he was fired in Washington and a disaster in Cle before Atlanta.  In SF Jimmy G was the same stiff he was when he left as when he got there.  None of the other QB's panned out and he blew 3 first round picks on a QB he couldn't even develop into a backup to a 7th round QB.

• Like (+1) 2

Baker and the Bucs have a 3-yr deal worth 100M with 50M guaranteed.

Ian Rapoport on X: "Sources: The #Bucs are closing in on a deal with QB Baker Mayfield, helping Tampa Bay become home for their starter. He gets a 3-year deal worth $100M with $50M guaranteed.   The Bucs continue to work on keep their core. https://t.co/Ir28N6cDt1" / X (twitter.com)