Looks like Baker Mayfield to become FA

Gregg

36 minutes ago, H2o said:

I can see the Raiders going after Baker and giving him a middle of the road contract. 2 year deal in the $60M range. Their QB is Aidan O'Connell right now. He's also better than the soon-to-be-released Garoppolo. 

I'm not really dialed in on the Raiders but my guess would be they'd rather grab a QB in the draft than going from one bridge QB to another in Jimmy to Baker.

Baker is just inconsistent. When he's on, he's as good as anybody. When he's off, well it's ugly.

Reads defenses well, has a very strong arm. lacks mobility, and when bull-rushed up the middle, he's doomed. 

So yeah, sounds like about $20 million/season 😜

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, colin said:

i don't know what should work out price wise, but if he was the qb for sf, they beat kc in the bowl.

The lengths people will go to discredit Purdy are outright insane.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They will re-sign him before the league year opens. Not franchising him does not mean he will hit FA. 

Yeah I'd think if the team and Baker are both on the same page on a deal getting done it'd make more sense to use it elsewhere, if that's how that works, could also be cap implications however they structure that contract they end up giving him compared to early cap deadlines maybe.

31 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Sure but I doubt he’s gonna take 4m/year after last season. He’s a starter, like him or not, and should be paid like one. 

Yep he's getting paid money at QB that we're not going to put at backup QB, also he's not going somewhere to play backup QB.

• Like (+1) 1

Baker is a Geno Smith type talent in the league.  He can bring you into the playoffs if your team is strong, but he wont put you over the top.  For a team who has been average for a while (Raiders/Bucs/Saints) it makes sense to bring him in.

For a bottom dweller, draft a QB.  For a good team, you dont need to look his way.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I'm not really dialed in on the Raiders but my guess would be they'd rather grab a QB in the draft than going from one bridge QB to another in Jimmy to Baker.

It will depend on if they feel strongly enough about one of them. At #13, and without a trade up, they'll likely be left to decide between Penix and Bo Nix if it's a QB at that spot. Thing about it is they have 6 teams in front of them who could be vying for 5 QB's, and I say 5 QB's because I don't see McCarthy as a 1st Round prospect in any way. Cousins will likely be one of those 6 teams QB in 2024. That leaves 5 teams who could very well have Williams, Maye, Daniels, Penix, and Nix all off of the board. Not highly likely, but it could shape up just like 2011 where people started reaching for QB's out of need. 

image.thumb.png.05b0dd025461c2aef3684f30c7cc5a83.png

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/20/2024 at 7:11 AM, DrBob806 said:

Baker is just inconsistent. When he's on, he's as good as anybody. When he's off, well it's ugly.

Reads defenses well, has a very strong arm. lacks mobility, and when bull-rushed up the middle, he's doomed. 

So yeah, sounds like about $20 million/season 😜

Not sure I agree.  Outside of his injury year with the Browns, Baker has been pretty consistent. 

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

It will depend on if they feel strongly enough about one of them. At #13, and without a trade up, they'll likely be left to decide between Penix and Bo Nix if it's a QB at that spot. Thing about it is they have 6 teams in front of them who could be vying for 5 QB's, and I say 5 QB's because I don't see McCarthy as a 1st Round prospect in any way. Cousins will likely be one of those 6 teams QB in 2024. That leaves 5 teams who could very well have Williams, Maye, Daniels, Penix, and Nix all off of the board. Not highly likely, but it could shape up just like 2011 where people started reaching for QB's out of need. 

image.thumb.png.05b0dd025461c2aef3684f30c7cc5a83.png

I wouldn't be surprised if Vegas trades up. I definitely think they'll gauge Washington and New England's interest in moving down. Antonio Pierce is the guy that brought Jayden Daniels to Arizona State. But even if that doesn't work out, I could see them moving up for JJ McCarthy.

Had darn good stats last year. Can only think he’d progress. But he is Baker.

47 million dollars in cap space without restructuring or any other cap friendly moves.  Can certainly afford him, back load the contract and see if you can get an out if he regresses.  Or maybe strike a 2 year deal?  Although I’m sure he’d like to parlay last year into a payday.  Like others said, the Bucs may be willing to let him set his market and go from there.

Edited by davefan66

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

This would be a pretty big challenge. He's already had Darnold and Mike White. He could sign Josh Rosen tomorrow if he wanted. Besides the heavy lift of getting Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson, he would have to get Kyle Lauetta, Luke Falk, and Tanner Lee out of retirement. Then there is Danny Etling, who is in the UFL, and Alex McGough and Logan Whiteside who are on the Packers' and Falcons' practice squads, respectively. That leaves good 'ole Mason Rudolph. 

I wager he would settle for the 'Big 5'.  Already tried Darnold, and he could get Rosen, Mayfield, Lamar, and that 'baby faced' kid from Wyoming.  Can't recall his name now. 🤔

I thought 'Mason Rudolph' were two of Santa's reindeer.

2 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

Sure but I doubt he’s gonna take 4m/year after last season. He’s a starter, like him or not, and should be paid like one. 

I just don't know if he is the type of guy that a team wants to give $20 or $30 million a year to. I could be wrong

• Like (+1) 1