Gabe Davis: Puts out an Instagram Video…good watch and could be sign he’s leaving

Alphadawg7

Davis is a heck of a player and seems like a genuinely good dude.  

The instagram montage helped me remember all the good plays he has been a part of.  Not sure why the regression this year.  If he played to that level this year? Probably would have helped us to more wins, and maybe deeper into the playoffs.

Guy can catch the tough ones, toe drag swag with the best of them, but his mental lapses with Josh this year were frustrating.  Someone will pay the man.  I feel he will be a great number two somewhere, but money is tight and it probably won’t be here.  Would love to see him elevate his play here and help us make the next step in the playoffs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I am NOT looking forward to him going to KC and putting up 1300 and 13 TDs. Because I could totally see it happening. A fresh start for him and chemistry with Mahomes would be a nightmare

I always figured Sammy Watkins would go on to have career years after leaving the Tyrod era Bills. That never really happened. I think Sammy's best year was still a year he played with Tyrod. One okay year with the Rams and absolutely nothing after despite playing in elite offenses with talented QB's. It's very possible Gabe just isn't very good just like Sammy. 

Even when Sammy was healthy he wasn't contributing much. 

I’m fine with him leaving though it may have been a dagger when moronic bills fans were hurling insults his way at the end of the Chief game. The fan base with the cumulative lowest IQ in the league struck again. That video is great for prospective free agents to see..good thing he didn’t post that..”Bills Mafia”.

• Agree 1

The one site that I looked at that "guesses" on contracts, suggested that he'll get a 4 year 52M contract ... That's 13M per that the Bills can't afford to pay and shouldn't.

Thanks for your time here Gabe, I hope you get that kind of contract and earn every penny of it ... In the NFC.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Excited to see him go. Next up Dawson Knox and Tre White. And let's not forget possibly the worst contract in Bills history, Von Miller

Well said. The Knox contract is right up there. You can get his play style/stats from an average backup. Pays to be Josh Allen’s buddy. 

• Like (+1) 2

Gabe is a good guy, had some shiny moments here, sadly he dropped 45% of his opportunities during his career in Buffalo, when your #2 wr is known more for his blocking than his catching it’s time to move on, anyway, good luck to Gabe in his future, 

I think I echo most of the sentiment here..

Good player, not great, but for a RD4 pick - an absolute hit.

I'd love to keep him here as a WR3/4, but we just don't have the money to be doing that, and he shows flashes of WR2 ability.. of which I'm sure he wants to get paid accordingly and show that he truly is that. 

It's probably better for all sides if he leaves, but dang.. it doesn't make watching that IG video hurt any less.  You can tell he wants to stay, but sometimes staying in a relationship isn't the right decision, no matter how much you want it to work out.  I think Gabe knows that.. and I think the Bills know that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I like Gabe but I'm OK if he leaves and gets paid or overpaid somewhere else.  I think it will be proven out that having Allen as his QB, really maximized some of his big downfield plays over the past few years.  

Looking back, it seems simple: Gabe Davis is the NFL's best WR4.

Brandon Beane defined a WR4 as a guy who can play both outside positions and the slot, and is first off the bench for all three spots. He can contribute in spurts and splashes and, based on the passing rate and spread personnel rates in the modern NFL, actually get to play quite a bit.

WR4 was when Gabe was at his best. 

They gave him a shot to be the consistent WR2, and he just never really consistently produced as that guy.

He mentions in his "farwell" video that his target rate was 47th in the NFL the last few years, but one can only wonder "why was he targeted so infrequently?", and the answer is that his route tree and his route running are not particularly sharp or advanced, and he ultimately is not great at creating separation.

Gabe Davis is what he is: a downfield threat, a splash player, a boom or bust guy that doesn't give you much in the short or intermediate areas of the field. A guy who became too easy for defenses to read and predict and to take away. He's an excellent run blocker, by all acounts a great team guy, and will likely have a 10 year career in the NFL. He'll produce for somebody. He'll make big plays some weeks that will make Bills fans groan and say "why'd we let him go again?"

The Bills should not pay Gabe Davis a high end WR contract. If he was willing to get paid at his actual value and accept a WR4 role going forward, I'd be all for keeping him around. But that's not reality. Someone will fall in love with his big weeks and his "boom" games and think they can fix him. Someone will pay him top-of-market money for 800 yards and 8 TDs a year. I just don't think that team will be the Bills.

So long, Gabe. Thank you sincerely for your contributions, effort, hard work, and for some great memories these past several years. Best of luck in future endeavors.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good dude who did come up big when we needed him. Those first 2 years were pretty special especially in the playoffs. Nagging injuries and drops have been problems the last 2 years, but that being said he was likable and I will miss him on gameday. I hope wherever he goes he finds success, so long as it isn’t in the AFC ;)

Edited by KingBoots8

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.