Mr. Pegula please read Tyler Dunne’s newest article

On 1/23/2024 at 5:28 PM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Ohh I know that, but I'm not blaming him this time... our defense was ravaged and finally couldn't overcome a two time Super Bowl champion.

But our D (and ST) has let us down year after year, along with offensive mistakes. Scott Kacsmar makes a good point about our D, which Tyler Dunne re-tweeted:

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Talking mainly Chiefs offense (Reid) vs. Bills defense (McDermott). The difference may have simply been player execution. But Chiefs offense moved the ball at will. To put Klein on Kelce was mind-boggling. Reid also took advantage of Bills' base nickel D by putting in three tight ends on running all over them. 

Yards per Play:

Chiefs - 7.7

Bills - 4.7

That's a significant difference. Bills were very fortunate they were a FG attempt away from tying under 2 minutes to go.

I don't think the defense played well. That was not my argument. I think it was mainly Kansas City taking advantage of where we were down to backups.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

McDermott saved his job with late season run and team not quitting on him. However, he needs to be put right back on the hot seat this upcoming season. Losing again in the playoffs is another mark against him. However, going into the KC game felt the offense needed to put up at least 30 to have a shot against the Chiefs. We played a good first half but only managing to put up 7 in the second half was bigger issue with depleted defense.

McDermott should bring in some OC candidates and do his due diligence. I am not handing Brady the job immediately. The running game was much improved but both personnel and scheme left much to be desired on the passing side. It was like pulling teeth when it came to passing the ball and nothing came easy. How much of it was personnel or scheme who knows but it looked to be a combination of both to me.

So hopefully primary focus is adding more weapons on the offensive side. Draft becomes more important now due to being up against the salary cap. McDermott needs to work on integrating younger players who are potential fringe starters into roles sooner. Going to need to learn and live with some of the mistakes because team will be better off in the long term.

• Agree 1

So much Tyler Dunne hate here when the conclusion to this season was exactly what his work indicated late in the season: McD doesn't get it done. He gets tight, makes head-scratching calls, and chokes.

Anything different to close out the year? Maybe let's recognize good journalism that was well-sourced and not at all one-sided rather than complain about it with no critical framework.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, chongli said:

But our D (and ST) has let us down year after year, along with offensive mistakes. Scott Kacsmar makes a good point about our D, which Tyler Dunne re-tweeted:

Year after year? I don't think they did last season either against Cincy... Josh and Dorsey STUNK in that game. This year they did but when you put it into context with regards to injuries, I stand by my statement.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/23/2024 at 8:11 PM, NeverOutNick said:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-buffalo-bills-have-a-decision

Tyler Dunne is spot on. Great article I don’t understand how at the very least we couldn’t have told Sean McDermott hey we’re going to explore other options at head coach in the next few weeks. We are not firing you unless we find someone we think will maximize Josh Allens talents and get us to a Super Bowl more than you can.

It’s an off-season that has Hall of Fame coaches just sitting there for the taking. Why not at least check it out.  What’s the worst that happens if we do that? McD gets pissy and resigns. Well thank God for that. 

This is 2024 sports journalism at it's finest! Tell your head coach we're looking for someone better? I can get behind some of what he said but you can tell he is going out of his way to get views/clicks or just flat out doesn't like McDermott. Another tasteless piece by a mediocre journalist in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, FLFan said:

Yes, I am quite sure the self made billionaire will take his advice in a Bills Coach from a failed journalist.  Makes perfect sense.

Dunne didn't give anyone advice.

The guy is a pretty successful journalist and he is widely respected for his thorough approach.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, wettlaufer said:

Dunne didn't give anyone advice.

The guy is a pretty successful journalist and he is widely respected for his thorough approach.

Welcome back Tyler Dunne!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think the defense played well. That was not my argument. I think it was mainly Kansas City taking advantage of where we were down to backups.

Yes.  What’s more, I think McD knew that was going to be a problem given the coaching and QB he was facing.  Hence the strategy to limit Chiefs possessions.  This was correct in my opinion.  Did you really want to see KC have the ball 3 or 4 more times?  Blowout City.  I do not believe the Bills offense as constructed and down Davis as well ever had a chance to keep up with a scoring track meet with KC. Two weeks ago it might have been different with much more confidence in D.  

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Talking mainly Chiefs offense (Reid) vs. Bills defense (McDermott). The difference may have simply been player execution. But Chiefs offense moved the ball at will. To put Klein on Kelce was mind-boggling. Reid also took advantage of Bills' base nickel D by putting in three tight ends on running all over them. 

Yards per Play:

Chiefs - 7.7

Bills - 4.7

That's a significant difference. Bills were very fortunate they were a FG attempt away from tying under 2 minutes to go.

I don’t understand this argument that our base nickel D was getting run on, but we want less linebackers in coverage. 

I guess you wanted to start out with more dime looks? Or you wanted Matakevich out there in coverage? Neither of those sound like solutions to me.

To me, the one of the biggest injuries prior to this game was Rapp. I think this game needed our big nickel 3 safety look that we had been going with occasionally. But we couldn’t, because everyone was hurt.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Year after year? I don't think they did last season either against Cincy... Josh and Dorsey STUNK in that game. This year they did but when you put it into context with regards to injuries, I stand by my statement.

Go look at the drives cincy had....McDermott defense played worse than allen......our oline was completely dominated by bengals it wasn't even a battle for bengals dline....they destroyed our line all game...but burrow just couldn't be forced off the field either....I think Cincinnati didn't punt until late 3rd quarter maybe 4th

52 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Go look at the drives cincy had....McDermott defense played worse than allen......our oline was completely dominated by bengals it wasn't even a battle for bengals dline....they destroyed our line all game...but burrow just couldn't be forced off the field either....I think Cincinnati didn't punt until late 3rd quarter maybe 4th

We scored a grand total of TEN points for a game at HOME... that's not the defense's fault. It's the reason why Dorsey is out of a job because it bled into the 2023 season.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

9 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Anyone email Terry the article yet? 

terryp@buffalobills.com

Terry wouldn't listen to any media or fans views of McDermott. If he did value someone else's opinion of Sean it would probably be Beane. Beane already said Sean did a great job this year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

Terry wouldn't listen to any media or fans views of McDermott. If he did value someone else's opinion of Sean it would probably be Beane. Beane already said Sean did a great job this year.

Im sure he doesn’t value this guys opinion… but I hope he has someone outside the organisation who’s opinion he values 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

We scored a grand total of TEN points for a game at HOME... that's not the defense's fault. It's the reason why Dorsey is out of a job because it bled into the 2023 season.

Cincinnati offense controlled that game no problems

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

That's because THEY KNEW we couldn't score points to threaten their lead, period.

They knew just keep allen and an offense that can score in an instant off the field.....both offense and defense stunk vs Cincinnati but let's not act like this offense hasn't carried the weight while the defense completely collapses every season NUMEROUS times...if it wasn't for allen this team is sitting at .500 at best the last 5 seasons

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

They knew just keep allen and an offense that can score in an instant off the field.....both offense and defense stunk vs Cincinnati but let's not act like this offense hasn't carried the weight while the defense completely collapses every season NUMEROUS times...if it wasn't for allen this team is sitting at .500 at best the last 5 seasons

We don't disagree on most of it, but the offense has failed to back the defense NUMEROUS times as well, and we ended up winning some of those games, especially the Chargers game where we had a -3 turnover ratio. Everyone knows Josh is the difference between over 10 wins and a losing season.

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

I don’t understand this argument that our base nickel D was getting run on, but we want less linebackers in coverage. 

I guess you wanted to start out with more dime looks? Or you wanted Matakevich out there in coverage? Neither of those sound like solutions to me.

To me, the one of the biggest injuries prior to this game was Rapp. I think this game needed our big nickel 3 safety look that we had been going with occasionally. But we couldn’t, because everyone was hurt.

For Klein to receive 98% of snaps alone is absurd. Dorian Williams received SIX snaps.

They needed Dorian's athleticism. McDermott is so controlled by fear-based decision making that he would rather fail with an over-the-hill veteran with 0 athleticism left in the tank and who has no business being on an NFL football field anymore than go with a rookie who might make a mental mistake once in a while but will make up for it with superior physical talent.

Or he could've come up with a gameplan to use Siran Neal on Kelce more. Anything would have been better.

7 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Anyone email Terry the article yet? 

terryp@buffalobills.com

As someone who has had to support very high level executives before... There is no way Terry is checking his own E-Mails.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

why would Terry read something about what he already has the best seat in the house to view up close? 

That's why consultants in the world have a job. To tell the owner/company what they are unable to see because it's too close to their nose 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

On 1/23/2024 at 7:27 PM, NeverOutNick said:

Bingo! 

And honestly teams can do whatever they want. The cubs just did this same situation with David Ross when they dismissed him for Craig Counsel as their manager. 

I’d just fire him straight up but at least this gives the warm and fuzzies to him for his years of service and ultimately lets him make the decision if he wants to fall on his own sword before being put out of his misery. 

I assume you have never been a manager of people?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

For Klein to receive 98% of snaps alone is absurd. Dorian Williams received SIX snaps.

They needed Dorian's athleticism. McDermott is so controlled by fear-based decision making that he would rather fail with an over-the-hill veteran with 0 athleticism left in the tank and who has no business being on an NFL football field anymore than go with a rookie who might make a mental mistake once in a while but will make up for it with superior physical talent.

Or he could've come up with a gameplan to use Siran Neal on Kelce more. Anything would have been better.

Yeah yeah, and if Dorian Williams gets spun around on misdirection on runs like he has ALL SEASON, and Pacheco had 120 yards at half, you’d be playing Monday morning coordinator questioning the decision to put him out there when Klein led the team in tackles the week before. Dorian doesn’t even have experience with the green dot, you think he should be QBing the defense in that spot?

”anything would have been better” is not a sufficient answer. And honestly, I don’t think it’s true.

Edited by FireChans

10 hours ago, FireChans said:

Yeah yeah, and if Dorian Williams gets spun around on misdirection on runs like he has ALL SEASON, and Pacheco had 120 yards at half, you’d be playing Monday morning coordinator questioning the decision to put him out there when Klein led the team in tackles the week before. Dorian doesn’t even have experience with the green dot, you think he should be QBing the defense in that spot?

”anything would have been better” is not a sufficient answer. And honestly, I don’t think it’s true.

Always with the excuses for McDermott.

Who said anything about Dorian quarterbacking the defense? Dodson was playing, and he played great. Klein was a train wreck from the very first snap of the game.

Considering the Chiefs averaged 7.7 yards per play against McDermott's defense on Sunday - their highest ypp average of the season - I would say, yes, "anything would have been better". In fact, Chiefs only averaged more than 7.0 yards per play in one game out of their 17 this season. They averaged 5.6 yards per play on offense in 2023. For reference, the 49ers led the league in yards per play with 6.6. Again, Chiefs had 7.7 against the Bills on Sunday. 

Once again, McDermott falls flat on his face in the playoffs.

The man has peaked.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Always with the excuses for McDermott.

Who said anything about Dorian quarterbacking the defense? Dodson was playing, and he played great. Klein was a train wreck from the very first snap of the game.

Considering the Chiefs averaged 7.7 yards per play against McDermott's defense on Sunday - their highest ypp average of the season - I would say, yes, "anything would have been better". In fact, Chiefs only averaged more than 7.0 yards per play in one game out of their 17 this season. They averaged 5.6 yards per play on offense in 2023. For reference, the 49ers led the league in yards per play with 6.6. Again, Chiefs had 7.7 against the Bills on Sunday. 

Once again, McDermott falls flat on his face in the playoffs.

The man has peaked.

Dodson doesn’t wear the green dot lol. They even made a point of it because Klein exited the game when he got hurt

and they had to switch helmets. 

This is what I’m talking about with the criticisms. We should have guys like Dorian Williams and Tyrel Dodson (who have no experience organizing the defense) do it  because we know the defense looked bad otherwise. 

Its nonsense. 

14 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Dodson doesn’t wear the green dot lol. They even made a point of it because Klein exited the game when he got hurt

and they had to switch helmets. 

This is what I’m talking about with the criticisms. We should have guys like Dorian Williams and Tyrel Dodson (who have no experience organizing the defense) do it  because we know the defense looked bad otherwise. 

Its nonsense. 

Is Dodson deaf? Why wouldn't he be capable of wearing the helmet with the radio and lead the defense? He's a four-year veteran in this system, he competed for the starting MLB job all preseason, he's started 10 games this year. And we're supposed to believe that he can't call the defense and instead we need a guy with no athleticism left who was sitting on the couch just a couple weeks ago to be in on 98% of snaps against the defending world champs in the AFC Semifinals?

This is a very weird take you're clutching onto. The depths the McDermott excuse-makers will go...

• Disagree 1

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

Is Dodson deaf? Why wouldn't he be capable of wearing the helmet with the radio and lead the defense? He's a four-year veteran in this system, he competed for the starting MLB job all preseason, he's started 10 games this year. And we're supposed to believe that he can't call the defense and instead we need a guy with no athleticism left who was sitting on the couch just a couple weeks ago to be in on 98% of snaps against the defending world champs in the AFC Semifinals?

This is a very weird take you're clutching onto. The depths the McDermott excuse-makers will go...

Okay, I guess if Dorian Williams is a career bust and never shows any ability to start in the NFL, let alone a playoff game, you’ll retract this take?

Seems odd to have so much belief in a player at this stage, but hey, do you. I’m sure you won’t just pivot to “another wasted defensive draft pick” tired takes.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.