Bills Draft Rd 1 - Pick 28

boyst

37 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

That's one of the good things about Beane, he will find 3-4 starters in this draft.  In fact, we can expect that and factor into our roster assumptions moving forward.

Last year he got 2 solid starters who are going to be stars but 2 isn’t enough. 3-4 this draft is a must. 

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Last year he got 2 solid starters who are going to be stars but 2 isn’t enough. 3-4 this draft is a must. 

We only made 6 picks last year, and he got 2 potential stars and what looks like a decent pick in Dorian Williams.

We have 9 picks going into this draft, so no reason to think we can't hit on 1 more player.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Will he be there in the third?

James Williams? I'd imagine so. There's the risk someone will fall in love with his measurables size speed combo and over draft him. But 3rd is a good spot for him.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. I get it because I liked him just watching a couple of Florida State games this year. But the more you really dig into him the more red flags there are. I think he will be a faller in the process. I definitely don't think he ends up going round 1. I think the Thomas, Legette, Franklin tier will rise. They are all going to test well I think and honestly I think all of their tape has more to get excited about when you think of NFL transition.

The other two WRs from Washington have me excited. Polk and McMillan, both have size and did different jobs at Washington. Polk was the sure handed over the middle need a catch in the clutch guy, and McMillan was your third option that abused the slot/overmatched coverage. Against Texas he was unstoppable.

17 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I get it. But the main thing we really need out of that mold is someone that can deal with press coverage so that our smaller guys don’t have to deal with it. That’s what made DK so special and it’s what makes Legette a disappointing prospect IMO. That along with the fact that it took him 5 years to do anything at all in college; which is pretty much always an indicator of a WR that will bust in the NFL. 

There are exceptions to every rule obviously. Let someone else take a chance on the exception. Too many other top end receivers in this draft. Unless he's still there in R3 then I say pound it all day

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think you'd have to go massive to get any of the top 3... MHJ, Nabers, Odunze. I am not giving away all my mock v1.0 secrets (you have a week or so to wait) but I agree with DJ's v1.0 the other day. I see it being 3 QBs then 3 WRs in the first 6 picks. Don't have the order exactly the same but that is the way the first 6 looks like shaking out to me without trades.

Agreed.  It’s a deep WR draft, but there are a LOT of teams who are WR-needy and they are going to come off the board fast.  I do see the Bills taking a WR, but with a trade up into the 20-24 range to avoid losing out, like we did last year with Addison and Flowers…at this point, it’s anyone’s guess who Beane will target, but Troy Franklin makes an awful lot of sense.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

I'll take best player available provided we do some cap magic and sign Mike Evans

Evans would be a great signing but he's a legend in TB and I suspect pretty much a fixture there. We shall see. And he's got enough gas left in the tank to command a very good payday. I very much like the idea of signing a veteran player though and drafting a WR in round 1. Even in a strong class like this one there are probably only three or four guys who by draft day are regarded as guaranteed immediate impact players (MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Franklin?) and I would expect them all to be gone before 28. An aggressive move up would probably be necessary to land one and the opportunity might well not even materialize. But the class is not only very strong but also deep. There are going to be prospects pegged as late second/third round guys and later who in a more normal class would be rated higher. I wouldn't put it past the Bills brain trust given their track record and inclinations to wait and look to shore up positions of need on the other side of the ball with early picks. Not what I'd like them to do but I wouldn't be surprised.

Edited by starrymessenger

2 hours ago, wppete said:

To be fair, Alex Austin ended up playing starting time with NE to end the year, but we had to cut him due to roster overflow and couldn't stash him on the PS.  that along with Dorian Williams who I expect will continue to improve gives us 3-4 guys from the draft.

But to your point, 3-4 guys would be great, and achievable looking at the depth of the draft in position of need.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon

FWIW Draftek (the site which our own Astro used to contribute on and in general is a decent indicator) currently has Franklin at #28 on their Big Board. I would be ecstatic if that's how it went down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

To be fair, Alex Austin ended up playing starting time with NE to end the year, but we had to cut him due to roster overflow and couldn't stash him on the PS.  that along with Dorian Williams who I expect will continue to improve gives us 3-4 guys from the draft.

But to your point, 3-4 guys would be great, and achievable looking at the depth of the draft in position of need.

I just heard Beane the expect to get a 3rd round comp pick this year which will bring the draft picks up to 10 this year. Plenty of picks to trade up and get the right guys. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

Ohhh you KNOW they are going edge rusher or corner 

I'm fine with those things...in rounds 2-5.

I know BPA is a philosophy, but the Bills are paying Von Miller too much not to use him and Douglas/Benford are good enough to start next year. With the luck Beane has had getting late round CBs as starters? 

19 hours ago, peterpan said:

Dude

send the scouts home, we found him.  

Leggette from South Carolina.

watch his highlights.  He jumps up and high points the ball.  He brings down contested catches.  He catches with his hands.  He is super fast.  He plays  WR like Josh Allen would play WR! 

he’s built like DK Metcalf and runs like him too.

complementary football!? This dude is the WR the Bills need to perfectly compliment Allen’s skill set.  No more tiny shifty guys trying to catch Allen’s bombs.  

we beat the chiefs yesterday if this guy was on the team!!!

send the scouts home early, trade up and just get draft him already. 

Yeah the guy has a dominating way of playing on the field from what it looks like in those highlights, but it makes me worry he's going to rise out of our range. But if he's there, hell yes.

@GunnerBill Have you watched UCF's Javon Baker at all? I haven't scouted him personally but some of the clips I've seen and some of the metrics have me circling his name as a potential underrated fit for us out wide. I'm sure Bills fans would be totally fine replacing Gabe Davis with a big vertical threat from UCF 😁

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/22/2024 at 9:20 AM, billieve420 said:

I am moving up if the right WR is available in the general area where we are going to pick. I would also consider Safety if we stand pat and we don't like any of the WRs in that spot.

If we stand pat and take a safety at 28 then BOTH the 2nd & 3rd round picks better be WR's. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

@GunnerBill Have you watched UCF's Javon Baker at all? I haven't scouted him personally but some of the clips I've seen and some of the metrics have me circling his name as a potential underrated fit for us out wide. I'm sure Bills fans would be totally fine replacing Gabe Davis with a big vertical threat from UCF 😁

No not yet. I haven't got deeper into the class yet. 

On 1/22/2024 at 9:20 AM, UKBillFan said:

Trade down for a couple more round two picks.

I only agreed , because Bills have a lot of needs. More draft picks will matter. Bills up against the cap again pretty hard.

thanks von/Mcbeane

But you love a player ay 28 , you take him. Obviously. Looking forward to more Wizardry. Beane will have dig deep into his bag.

Ps Bills need impact players asap

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

I only agreed , because Bills have a lot of needs. More draft picks will matter. Bills up against the cap again pretty hard.

thanks von/Mcbeane

But you love a player ay 28 , you take him. Obviously. Looking forward to more Wizardry. Beane will have dig deep into his bag.

Ps Bills need impact players asap

I was being a bit sarcastic, as I know how Beane likes collecting draft picks. If a WR is there who would work for the Bills, he has to be taken.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I can't remember if I've posted about him yet, but I have to imagine Beane will be giving Xavier Worthy a very hard look for our 1st or 2nd round pick. Maybe the youngest WR in the class or close to it, track star speed, and what seems to be very good ball tracking down the field. He's gotten some comps to Zay Flowers, who was probably my favorite WR in the class last year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I can't remember if I've posted about him yet, but I have to imagine Beane will be giving Xavier Worthy a very hard look for our 1st or 2nd round pick. Maybe the youngest WR in the class or close to it, track star speed, and what seems to be very good ball tracking down the field. He's gotten some comps to Zay Flowers, who was probably my favorite WR in the class last year.

I get that he's very fast and good route runner/hands, also that he could play as a boundary receiver in college, but I had him as a slot guy next level and that appears to be Shakir's role going forward. 

10 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Im way down on Worthy - I just dont think he separates well even with his speed.  He struggled against good talent as well, I think he is a great college guy but not as good of a pro.  I'm actually higher on Mitchell than Worthy

BTW I personally really like Troy Franklin.  He has a size speed combo that we just dont carry in this offense.  His ability to separate early and then own the middle of the field would do a lot for us.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Im way down on Worthy - I just dont think he separates well even with his speed.  He struggled against good talent as well, I think he is a great college guy but not as good of a pro.  I'm actually higher on Mitchell than Worthy

BTW I personally really like Troy Franklin.  He has a size speed combo that we just dont carry in this offense.  His ability to separate early and then own the middle of the field would do a lot for us.  

How do you feel about Brian Thomas? Looks like just what the doctor ordered and pre-combine at least one might expect the Bills to have a shot. Of course he might be a big riser by draft day.

20 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I have loved watching him play at Texas.  He is dynamic.   Crazy twitched-up and talented.   His size and tendency to disappear at times(like that semi-final game) gives him a very high bust rate though, IMO.   Not sure he has the dog in him.      

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

17 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I get that he's very fast and good route runner/hands, also that he could play as a boundary receiver in college, but I had him as a slot guy next level and that appears to be Shakir's role going forward. 

I think he can play out wide or in the slot; probably more of a Y-receiver than anything else. He's played the vast majority of his snaps in college out wide but he does shift to the slot sometimes.

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This surprises me a bit because he is, in a sense, a faster Gabe Davis and I know you have not been a Gabe lover. He is a speed / size guy and he runs the go routes well but I don't really know how else you use him. To me among that little group with Franklin and Legette he is the least versatile. I don't think you are getting anything in the intermediate game with Thomas. 

I think I'd like him more as a fit for the Bills if I was sure I still had prime Stef. But I think given there are questions about whether you have that you need a guy who has a few more strings to his bow.

EDIT: I do agree he won't make it to the Bills anyway. He is going somewhere between 15 and 25.

Yeah I agree that he has some very Davis-like concerns but he's just a lot more talented/athletic.    I also agree that the Bills needs at WR have changed.   They need a Stef replacement now,  not just a Stef complement.   AND they need a complement to THAT guy.   They've got TE and slot covered with really talented players in Kincaid and Shakir.   Problem is that you aren't likely to be getting a first round talent WR outside of the top 18-20 picks anymore.  You are getting guys with potential but with holes in their game.   I've never warmed to Franklin as a 1st round pick but it's entirely possible that I am under-rating him.    I like Legette more than him.  He is a beast but he's pretty raw for a 23 year old one-year-wonder.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I agree that he has some very Davis-like concerns but he's just a lot more talented/athletic.    I also agree that the Bills needs at WR have changed.   They need a Stef replacement now,  not just a Stef complement.   AND they need a complement to THAT guy.   They've got TE and slot covered with really talented players in Kincaid and Shakir.   Problem is that you aren't likely to be getting a first round talent WR outside of the top 18-20 picks anymore.  You are getting guys with potential but with holes in their game.   I've never warmed to Franklin as a 1st round pick but it's entirely possible that I am under-rating him.    I like Legette more than him.  He is a beast but he's pretty raw for a 23 year old one-year-wonder.

Yep. I am not opposed to trading up a bit this year because this ain't 2014 and the Bills have a window to keep in mind.

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yep. I am not opposed to trading up a bit this year because this ain't 2014 and the Bills have a window to keep in mind.

A lotta' teams realized how badly they need playmaking WR's this year.    An already high stock only went higher.   I expect 6-8 to go in round 1.   The Bills need more than 1 from this draft.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Cray51 said:

I'm loving people taking notice of Troy Franklin. 

On top of all the polish, has a knack for finding the soft spots in zones as well.  The total package.  I have no idea why he's penciled in as a 2nd rounder, but I'm glad he is.  

18 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I can see the concern about his frame, that is just not something I personally worry about. People criticized Devonta Smith over his frame. I think NFL strength and conditioning can help him fill out a bit, and more importantly his other athletic traits more than make up for it.

I don't expect him to be a great contested catch WR and that isn't what you draft him to be. Just separate and then catch the ball when it hits him in the hands. That is all I want out of our next WR investment.

I remember identical highlight videos for N'Keal Harry. Just isn't my kind of WR personally. I want separation first and foremost.

Ditto on all of this.  N'Keal Harry was the first name that came to mind watching Coleman.

• Shocked 1

52 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yea agree with all that. They need a guy who by the end of his rookie year is the best receiver on the team. Then either later in this draft or in next year's they gotta find the compliment to that guy's skillset. 

And agree re. Legette. He turns 23 in a week. That means 5 year contract he is 28... even if you do the extension at the 4 year mark as you'd presume they'd want to if he pans out that is 27.... I like him and I'd be willing to do it but you have to do it conscious that there is a chance you do a 1 contract, or one contract and tag type situation. 

I'd be willing to guarantee 6 minimum in round 1. As you say 8 would not be a shock. Demand is high and especially for outside guys it comes after a year without many true #1 type outside receivers. It was like last year everyone was a slot or inside/outside move guy. This year everyone (except Nabers) is an outside vertical guy. 

• Agree 2

On 1/22/2024 at 9:20 AM, UKBillFan said:

Trade down for a couple more round two picks.

I would look hard at a trade down if I had the opportunity.  Beane relies heavily on the scouting department's grading of players.  There is a strong likelihood that there will be no players left that carry a first round grade for the Bills.  With a bunch of free agents on the team combined with a tight cap, it's likely the Bills will want to hold on to and use their draft picks for as many players as they can draft rather than trade them away to move up and get a player with a first round grade.  If I could trade down into the top 5 or 10 spots of the second round, I might take a chance on Xavier Legette, a WR from South Carolina with elite measurables.  He does not carry a first round grade to most observers because he's got some shortcomings to his game.  If he interviews well and the Bills think he's coachable, he could be a steal.  I assume the Bills would get at least a third round pick out of that deal.  

23 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I mean it's highlights but he definitely seemed really good in them, not sure about the competition he was up against though.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I mean it's highlights but he definitely seemed really good in them, not sure about the competition he was up against though.

To me he is second tier in this class. Haven’t seen him other than highlights though. Apparently he does not get much in the way of separation and in college ranks he is good at getting contested balls but you have to wonder whether that translates to the pros given his size. He is definitely not a burner either. Will likely run in the 4.5s somewhere. Also questions regarding his release off the line against the step up in athleticism he will face with pro DBs. I would pass.  

Edited by starrymessenger

22 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

But for which WR?  I see 3 WRs with obvious WR1 upside and they’ll all be gone by 15, maybe too 10.  I group the rest in together as WR2s.  Leggette is probably the only guy I’d trade up for as he could have wr1 upside

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.