So we're firing McD, right?

Heavy Kevi

Should the Bills Fire McDermott?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Fire McDermott?

• Yep. Too many bad losses and bad coaching in the playoffs
    • Heck No. Playoffs year after year, and we're one of the best teams on NFL

11 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I know Josh has had down times, but when it matters he shows up. Yet again Josh turns in a gutsy performance in the playoffs and we still effing lose the game.

Obviously this has been a common theme throughout the last several years, with Josh being overall unbelievably good in playoffs only to get sent home.

This cycle has too many good coaches available to keep this guy McD around any longer.

We desperately need to make the switch. We needed to last year, maybe even the year before; but the reality here is that McD is COOKED

What about Bass missing the game tying FG, what about Diggs dropping the pass that probably would have been a TD, what about Cook dropping another pass that hit him in the hands as he was once again WIDE OPEN with no body around him ? 

Yah that F N McD is a POS HC & he probably coached those guys to miss all that stuff yep it's all about the coach & has absolutely NOTHING to do with the players !!! 

There's a hole lot more to this loss and this season than the HC to reinvent a team with as many all pro starters out for the season as they had and to put a defense on the field with tape & bubble gum to get to the second round of the play offs . 

Never mind its useless ...

To Sean's credit in his post game he said, " we didn't do enough in 2 of the 3 phases of football, starting with defensively and special teams!" He said offensively we did we some really good things. I think this goes to his playing complimentary football mantra. Our offense was our best defense last night, and our kicking game sucked.

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

I'm not on the fire McDermott train yet, but I will say if they don't greatly improve the offensive players this off season (like better wide receivers) I'll definitely jump on that train. Allen is a beast, and they're handicapping him with the offensive weapons they're giving him. Harty and sherfield were absolute busts this season. Shakir and kinkaid were really the 2 bright spots. Who knows with Diggs. They need to invest heavily in the offense this off season 

If there is an offensive mind available that is an upgrade I would consider it like a Harbaugh. I am less interested in going the Belicheck route. I want to pair offensive mind with Allen to take team to the next level. Much easier to find someone on the defensive side versus the other way around. 

21 minutes ago, boyst said:
45 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s up to you! 

It's not my place and would directly out my source, unfortunately. I simply cannot

It's pretty messed up you would post this then. You shouldn't have said anything.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Well, IF the report of a mystery team being interested in Belichick but not having an opening is true maybe Pegula would do that.

To be clear, I would rather have Harbaugh but we're stuck right now. With Allen McDermott will always win enough games that "you can't fire the coach!" 

Sean McFontes

For those too young to know Wayne Fontes was the coach during Barry Sanders career who kept winning enough games that kept him back year after year.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, T master said:

What about Bass missing the game tying FG, what about Diggs dropping the pass that probably would have been a TD, what about Cook dropping another pass that hit him in the hands as he was once again WIDE OPEN with no body around him ? 

Yah that F N McD is a POS HC & he probably coached those guys to miss all that stuff yep it's all about the coach & has absolutely NOTHING to do with the players !!! 

There's a hole lot more to this loss and this season than the HC to reinvent a team with as many all pro starters out for the season as they had and to put a defense on the field with tape & bubble gum to get to the second round of the play offs . 

Never mind its useless ...

Well you can point at a lot of individual plays. But overall the D could barely stop KC on any plays. That is beyond injuries and is about game plan. McD did not have an answer to what KC was doing. They could move the ball at will from the start. Change the players and o don’t see the result being that different. Kelce one on one with a clean release is not working if you have Bernard. Broken coverages in the secondary are happening without injuries. No sacks and minimal pressure is happening without the injuries. 

If we score a TD or the tying FG I have zero confidence KC doesn’t march down and score. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Punch said:

It's pretty messed up you would post this then. You shouldn't have said anything.

it's not messed up. it's to let people know the media in Buffalo are sitting on stories that they do not release.

in this direct case i cannot discuss this story because it would compromise the person who told me this which could lead to professional punihsment.

• Dislike 1

I continue to hold out HOPE that breaking news will come some time, probably TODAY, that McDermott has been relieved of his duties.

This place will meltdown, and everyone will say "wow, I didn't see THAT coming.  I really didn't."

If that news is coming, we only have a few hours of hope left.

If we make it to 5pm and it didn't come, it probably won't and we are stuck with McDimwit for another year.

I suppose there is always the chance of a bizarre, deadly Bible club accident, but thats's stretching it.

10 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

>9.5 yards per play.

5 third downs all game.

9 plays of 20 yards or more. 

a HORRENDOUS fake punt. 

Still not McDermott? God people

And while it didn't end up hurting us on the scoreboard, he made another clock management error in the first half when he took our first TO immediately after the play that got us down to the 13.  You don't need or want 44 seconds left at that point when you still have 2 TO's remaining and only have a handful of plays left at most. Should have let it run a down more before he took the first TO.  Gave the ball back to Mahomes with 28 seconds left.       

• Like (+1) 1

It's all been said ad nauseam.  The whole organization has shite the bed.  They did the best they could but it's over.  There a lot of comparison's of Josh to Phillip Rivers and that's completely wrong.  The comparison is to John Elway.  You know how Denver finally won the Super Bowl?  Yeah, they changed regimes.  This is the way.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

it's not messed up. it's to let people know the media in Buffalo are sitting on stories that they do not release.

No one needed you to tell us that, most fans should surmise as much. As it is, this is a big LAMP.

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

Sean McFontes

For those too young to know Wayne Fontes was the coach during Barry Sanders career who kept winning enough games that kept him back year after year.

All we need is Josh to dress up as McDermott for Halloween to complete the cycle.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Punch said:

No one needed you to tell us that, most fans should surmise as much. As it is, this is a big LAMP.

i don't need anyone to look at me. i don't need any attention. if i wanted attention i'd do some classic trolling and do what made me famous by run over anyone and everyone.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, boyst said:

i don't need anyone to look at me. i don't need any attention. if i wanted attention i'd do some classic trolling and do what made me famous by run over anyone and everyone.

"I know something everyone would be interested to hear, but I can't say" is the definition of a classic troll. If you're acknowledging you're famous for trolling, then I won't dispute it.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

There is one major story that I hope makes it out this week that will make everyone realize is a nail in the coffin for McDermott. It is not my place to share this but it will show everyone that McDermott is not the leader of this team that he needs to be.

Can't imagine what it would be if praising the 9/11 terrorists didn't do it. He must have pictures of Pegula cheating on his wife or something. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Talk about dumb stuff! Jeez

Talk about dumb stuff? 

27-24 - Josh Allen and offense 4 plays 7 yards (fake punt)

27-24 - Defense causes fumble - touchback 

27-24 - Josh Allen and offense 3 plays -2 yards

27-24 - Defense forces Chiefs punt

27-24 - Josh Allen and offense drive down the field and come away with zero points

27-24 - Defense allows first down to end the game

But sure. The defense lost us the game.

So many opportunities for Josh to put this one away. He fell short. He will get back up and we will be in the thick of it next year.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 4
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

SHOULD we? Yes. Heck, bring in Vrabel at this point.

WILL Terry nut-up and pull the trigger? Absolutely not. We're stuck with this for at least another year.

See, this is the stuff that drives me nuts. Vrabel? Hes McDermott, just a foot taller and ten thousand times less of a decent human being. 

You want to fire the coach, knock yourself out. But be ready to "waste" another year of Josh while the new coach puts his program and regime in place. Also, if you go the hotshot young gun new HC, be ready to also "waste" a few more years because the number of rookie HCs that won the Super Bowl is.....TWO. 

Again, Im totally fine with letting McD go. But this idea that we plug and play a new HC, especially a rookie one, and its "Super Bowl, baby!!" is just mindless.

Edited by RkFast
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And Kansas City just attacked the middle of the defense all day. Kelce and outside zone to get the linebackers (including Mr Miami retirement home) running laterally. Other than that they had one play outside to MVS (he made a good play when well covered) and a deep shot on McDermott's 6 man pressure (which I do put on a damn stupid play call). 

Otherwise everything was aimed at exploiting the linebackers. For all the noise about Rice they barely used him. They din't want to throw outside. They just wanted to keep going at the backups. 

That is called getting outcoached and out coached badly. Happens all to frequently with McDummie, way to large of a sample size now to be anything other than being a bad coach, and nothing will ever change with this block head.

He has to be fired if the organization wants to move forward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, jhh9327 said:

And while it didn't end up hurting us on the scoreboard, he made another clock management error in the first half when he took our first TO immediately after the play that got us down to the 13.  You don't need or want 44 seconds left at that point when you still have 2 TO's remaining and only have a handful of plays left at most. Should have let it run a down more before he took the first TO.  Gave the ball back to Mahomes with 28 seconds left.       

Allen took that timeout, you could literally see him call for it on the broadcast.

Just now, RkFast said:

See, this is the stuff that drives me nuts. Vrabel? Hes McDermott, just a foot taller and ten thousand times less of a decent human being. 

He is 1000x better at situational football decisions coming from years of studying under the master of situational football. He already used Belichick's dark magic against him a couple times with some of those "stretching the rules" situations to win games. Situational Football is McD's biggest weakness.

He isnt "just a DC". He's on overall Head Coach, who hires coordinators and then assumes his position of overseeing the entire team, not just Defense.

Lastly, it seems we need less of a decent human being and more of an ass-kicking football player to set the tone for this team.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

I give him a lot of credit for what he did the last half of the season. But he also deserves blame for what happened the first half of the season. He's an above average coach.  It will be a risk to move on from him. Its a risk I believe we need to take. It's worked for other teams,  it can work here. Allen is a future HOFer and we are wasting his prime.  We need to move on for him.

4 minutes ago, RkFast said:

You want to fire the coach, knock yourself out. But be ready to "waste" another year of Josh while the new coach puts his program and regime in place. Also, if you go the hotshot young gun new HC, be ready to also "waste" a few more years because the number of rookie HCs that won the Super Bowl is.....TWO.

Next year will be a waste with McDermott here. Then, if the Bills sack him at that point, 2025 will be the rebuild instead and another year wasted.

The Bucs realised the die was cast with Dungy. Same with Reid at Philadelphia. Next year is going to be a rebuild of sorts anyway so may as well let a new HC oversee it.

Even though I fully realise it won’t happen.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He is 1000x better at situational football decisions coming from years of studying under the master of situational football. He already used Belichick's dark magic against him a couple times with some of those "stretching the rules" situations to win games. Situational Football is McD's biggest weakness.

He isnt "just a DC". He's on overall Head Coach, who hires coordinators and then assumes his position of overseeing the entire team, not just Defense.

Lastly, it seems we need less of a decent human being and more of an ass-kicking football player to set the tone for this team.

Look, I like Vrabel I think he runs a good program. But I thought the whole reason for dumping MdD was for an "offensive minded HC." Is Vrabel that?

Also, to that end...remember who the Bills' HC was when the Bills and Allen were throwing the ball around like maniacs and scoring a ton of points?

4 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

McD coached out of his mind to get that D & team to the #2 seed. At some point the injuries were going to catch up to them that day was Sunday. & They still had a chance to win. He didn't miss kicks, drop passes, miss blocks or throws or tackles. This loss was about the Jimmy's & Joes more than the Xs & Os. He's staying no matter what any of us think or want.

No he didn't the QB played out of his mind and wouldnt let the team lose.

McDummie cant coach out of his mind as he is incapable of that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, RkFast said:

Look, I like Vrabel I think he runs a good program. But I thought the whole reason for dumping MdD was for an "offensive minded HC." Is Vrabel that?

Also, to that end...remember who the Bills' HC was when the Bills and Allen were throwing the ball around like maniacs and scoring a ton of points?

First, my original statement was "heck, bring in Vrabel at this point". Meaning, even tho he isnt what we're looking for, he'd still be better than McD. So dont get mistaken that Vrabel is even close to my top choice or prototypical HC. My only point is: Vrabel isnt even a perfect answer but still better than McD.

Second, yes, you'd love to bring in an Offensive mastermind to take Josh to all new levels, and so we dont have constant OC turnover. But I dont see a candidate out there that fits that role. Maybe one of the hot OCs like Johnson or Slowick, but there isn't enough tape on those guys to believe they'd be the answer. Maybe Johnson since Detroit is still in it and their O is actually functioning in the playoffs.

To me, and IMO, McD's biggest weakness is situational football as a HC. He doesnt have the knowledge/experience/brain to know the right move to make when it comes down to in-game strategy. Vrabel has that in spades.

I'd rather have a true HC mastermind than just a glorified OC-made-HC.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

First, my original statement was "heck, bring in Vrabel at this point". Meaning, even tho he isnt what we're looking for, he'd still be better than McD. So dont get mistaken that Vrabel is even close to my top choice or prototypical HC. My only point is: Vrabel isnt even a perfect answer but still better than McD.

Second, yes, you'd love to bring in an Offensive mastermind to take Josh to all new levels, and so we dont have constant OC turnover. But I dont see a candidate out there that fits that role. Maybe one of the hot OCs like Johnson or Slowick, but there isn't enough tape on those guys to believe they'd be the answer. Maybe Johnson since Detroit is still in it and their O is actually functioning in the playoffs.

I understand. I agree Im not sure if there is a plug and play guy out there. And thats my overall point. A LOT of the chatter thats been out there is that there is. New HC and done deal, they win it all. I dont see that, especially in this sport. Thats MUCH more of a baseball or basketball type of thing. In football, which is a much more complex sport to coach and manage a team, you need to build the whole PROGRAM. And that takes a lot of time. 

Edited by RkFast
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, RkFast said:

Again, Im totally fine with letting McD go. But this idea that we plug and play a new HC, especially a rookie one, and its "Super Bowl, baby!!" is just mindless.

then don't get a "rookie" HC.  There are others available.  Bellicheck, Harbaugh, etc.  

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Question for Terry Pegula to think about: Why are the Bills 3-1 against the Chiefs in the regular season but 0-3 in the postseason? Sitting available right here right now is Jim Harbaugh. You can do it if you want to.

Harbaugh

Vrabel

Pete Carroll

Belichick

and whole bunch of young up and coming creative offensive minds that would absolutely without hesitation love to have Josh freaking Allen as their centerpiece, oh the possibilities, c'mon Terry DO IT! 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Another if McD stays question is who this team is.  Do you trust McD to create an identity that works for this roster and adjusts to what is working in the league? Are we a grind out the clock O that we saw last night? Is that even sustainable or why you pay Josh $50m? Are we better running the ball 50/50 or should we be airing it out? Is the lack of wr production due to talent or scheme? A lot of questions to be answered. I don’t what the identity of this team is and I don’t know if I trust McD to figure that out. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.