Divisional Playoffs - Chiefs at Bills - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

In all fariness, there are not a lot of teams recently that can point to their D being the difference in playoff games with the way the NFL is designed these days.  It favors the offense pretty heavily. See the Chiefs - Eagles Super Bowl last year.

True but then many of those teams select offensive minded coaches and focus the lions share of their franchises resources on the offense.  It doesn't always work out because no matter how smart the offensive minded coach is or how much they send on the O if they don't have the QB there are limits to how far they can go.  But the Bills have the QB and IMO are now wasting his best years.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

But it was a “mash” unit bro. 

I mean that is true.  The Chiefs continuously took advantage of the Bills weaknesses in the middle of the defense and there wasn't much the Bills could do to stop them.  The Bills did a better job slowing down Kelce in the 2nd half and then the Chiefs just started running the ball on them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

I know. Same story every year. One injury and the defense falls apart to the tune of forcing one punt… can’t be a scheme or coaching issue though? 

One injury?  Half the defense was out and the guys who were playing obviously were not anywhere close to 100%, especially Douglas who I thought had by far his worst game as a Bill and should have been benched for Elam in the 2nd half. 

Moreover the injuries kept being at the same position so 4th and 5th string players were being called upon, which is a recipe for disaster against a good team and coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I know. Same story every year. One injury and the defense falls apart to the tune of forcing one punt… can’t be a scheme or coaching issue though? 

What "scheme" are you going to come up with that doesn't allow Klein to be abused in the middle of the defense?  You can only polish a turd so much...it still smells like a turd tho when you get close enough to it.  The man was on the couch ready to head to Key West in an RV with his family last week, came back on Wednesday before the Steelers game and was pressed into duty for most of the 2nd half of that game and all of this game...then he rolled his ankle late in the first half to boot, so his already limited athleticism took another hit.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Cold fact that the Bills are the only home team to lose this weekend.  Tear down and rebuilding is needed.

I mean, this season was weird, and we could've missed the playoffs entirely.

But at the start of the season we were in our normal mode for the last few seasons - we play the entire regular season schedule to try to secure home field. And then we get it and it doesn't matter.

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

McD stuck w Klien waaaaaaaay toooooooooo looooooong.  Soon as Siran came in Kelce had no impact.  Sad to say but better team on the field won.  Bills D was decimated.  Not McD's fault.....Diggs was WIDE open twice.......who knows what happened there??  I HATE to say it but Von actually looked good the few plays he was in....

I was shocked to see that Klein was the dime backer and Dodson came off the field, this was after the unathletic Klein turned his ankle. Just piss poor personnel management. I would’ve rather had the team go with Elam and Dorian in place of Klein and Douglas. Two healthy players that can run. Bills defense was overmatched athletically all night. 

6 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

might as well throw my 2 cents in.

thought Brady did well in the first half but what started out as a good mix of throws and runs 

became a one dimensional run game.   then after the half when the chiefs were starting to shut it down i 

felt he got off his game plan.   we started taking low percentage shots and bad run calls up the gut with the

entire chiefs D there. 

the long pass to sherfield....either he had to run faster or the ball needs to be a bit shorter.  the chances of running full out and 

then pretty much have to be extended fulll out and not having the ground take it away is pretty slim.  

the deep ball to diggs, looks like he miss judged it but that was trying to track a 65 -70 yard throw at full speed with the Defender in your hip pocket.

the bills needed more plays between safe and 10% chance of completion.   

who ever thought having a washed up guy off the couch defending kelse wasnt very smart.   

The D was decimated and it showed.   backups can only do so much and it wasnt enough.  

If the Bills are every going to win a championship...they are going to have to plan smarter...draft smarter and play smarter.  

Idk how to feel about Brady but he dialed up the deep shots and they were there…nobody made a play 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Is it injuries, and bad luck, and just brilliant coaching on the other side that causes our defense to get annihilated every playoff ending game? 

You can keep believing that. I’m good. 

Not sure what to tell you.  Defenses don't make much of a difference in most playoff games these days unless a team is clearly overmatched like the Texans were yesterday.  The biggest difference they make is with a timely sack or takeaway now, but rarely are you seeing teams shut other teams down. Chiefs - Eagles Super Bowl is a prime example.  Neither team stopped the other all game for the most part.  Just a play here or a play there that made the difference.

If you think the 86 Bears defense is coming back and making a difference nowadays in the playoffs, I am sorry to burst your bubble. It's an offensive league, and you basically are just relying on your D to make a play here or there now against quality teams in the playoffs.

Edited by Big Turk

Yea… which is why there is literally no reason for McD to be here while the team bangs its head against the wall stacking defensive personnel year after year. 

They drafted Offense mostly this year.  This team would likely have been giving up 25-28 points a game under a different DC with the personnel they had the 2nd half of the season.  I think McD did a pretty remarkable job on D with what he had to work with the 2nd half of the year.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

In all fariness, there are not a lot of teams recently that can point to their D being the difference in playoff games with the way the NFL is designed these days.  It favors the offense pretty heavily. See the Chiefs - Eagles Super Bowl last year.

How can you distinguish "the Bills offense didn't do enough" from "the Chiefs defense made the difference"?

Mahomes and the Chiefs offense scored 27 against an injury plagued Bills defense which was solid before injury.

Allen and the Bills offense scored 24 against a mostly healthy (but less so after injuries in game) Chiefs D that was ranked like #2 in some stats.

I don't see that you can easily say which one "made the difference". If our defense was healthier, maybe the Chiefs only score 20 or 23.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

How can you distinguish "the Bills offense didn't do enough" from "the Chiefs defense made the difference"?

Mahomes and the Chiefs offense scored 27 against an injury plagued Bills defense which was solid before injury.

Allen and the Bills offense scored 24 against a mostly healthy (but less so after injuries in game) Chiefs D that was ranked like #2 in some stats.

I don't see that you can easily say which one "made the difference". If our defense was healthier, maybe the Chiefs only score 20 or 23.

If Allen's shoulder doesn't get hit by Dawkins being driven back into him while he was throwing it would have been 31.  But yeah...the margins are incredibly small in these games and the Bills were always up against it not only due to the crazy number of injuries on D but also the extra 2 days the Chiefs had to rest. I mean sure there were some plays the Chiefs likely don't make if the Bills had Bernard in there...but at the end of the day all you can do is play the hand you are dealt in a game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

The bottom line is there is a reason that the Kansas City Chiefs are Super Bowl champions and the Buffalo Bills are contenders but not championship level

good enough. Bills fans have to get it out of their heads that the Buffalo weather is going to get the Bills anywhere the Chiefs just beat us in our home stadium with the wind and the Buffalo weather because they are champions that is what champions do. Champions don’t need to rely on weather and tricks they just go out and beat you regardless of the adversity that you face during the season. Because the bottom line the Super Bowl isn’t hosted in Buffalo. The Bills flat out aren’t good enough compared to the Chiefs. Congratulations to the Kansas City Chiefs and for my Bills maybe next year in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Too many fans were underestimating KC before the game. There were people thinking the Bills might blow them out. KC just has the Bills number in the playoffs. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Why are we obsessed with TOP and yet the Chiefs don’t give a ***** when they score? 

The McDermott effect. 

Because when you are giving up 9 yards a play midway thru the 4th quarter, the fewer plays the other team has the better.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Why are we obsessed with TOP and yet the Chiefs don’t give a ***** when they score? 

The McDermott effect. 

That's a product of how our offense was functioning, we were running well and they were taking away any kind of deep passing game, so we slowly marched down the field and scored. So we took up a ton of time when we had the ball, they on the other hand did not.

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The McDermott effect. 

Cause it was all setup to score the game winning TD whole giving Mahomes no time left to score. 

1 hour ago, Success said:

Worst game I've seen from our defense this year.

Almost immediately, my hopes that the backups could fill in okay were dashed.  It definitely hurt that we were so banged up.

Well, I certainly commend your optimism right or wrong. Maybe others can see my points of view a little more clearly too. 

There's always next year! 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

Worst game I've seen from our defense this year.

Almost immediately, my hopes that the backups could fill in okay were dashed.  It definitely hurt that we were so banged up.

Worst game I saw from our defense was the first Pats game and it isn’t even close. What is more embarrassing than getting carved up by Mac Jones and a bottom-3 offense in the league?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

They drafted Offense mostly this year.  This team would likely have been giving up 25-28 points a game under a different DC with the personnel they had the 2nd half of the season.  I think McD did a pretty remarkable job on D with what he had to work with the 2nd half of the year.

That’s my only fear really….i think another second round bounce or two in the playoffs and we’ll be firing mcd which seems deserved but the defense is gonna regress even further so we’ll end up in the same boat or worse 

8 minutes ago, Punch said:

This is such a nightmare:

It was a weird game though…usually top is an indicator that one team isn’t doing much on offense but the chiefs were just scoring very fast lol 

Honestly I get we are all upset and want to put blame on someone but in all honestly this game went the way it should all the way until the last 2 minutes of regulation.

-Was there missed call by the Refs that favored the Chiefs? Yes, but not in a way that made a game changing moment, had they scored instead of going 3 and out then I would be calling for the Ref's head.

-Did our defense stink? Depends, we're missing our 1st and 2nd stringer playing with players that are practically practice squad members against a team fully healthy. So I say our defense did the best it could with what they had, and that says much cause Frazier with all the pieces would have been ran through.

-Offense, did great until again 2 minutes left. Sorry but that's on Allen for passing it to Shakir for a TD with 1:50 left instead of Diggs under, get a 1st down and run out the clock and get a TD with little time as possible. Allen did great and everything he could just bad read that one play sadly cost the game. No reason to have to go three and out there, we had the weapon and scheme, we jut fizzled up.

-Bass, listen we can oust, get his head on a stick. That kick was just not going to happen and he shouldn't have been put in that situation at that moment. Also odd Reid called a TO to ice Bass, but the refs ignored it once it was a miss... pretty odd.

-Coaching, wasn't as bad as the other playoff lost, this was strong till the end for once, it looked like the team finally had it figured out, but once again bad 2-3 decisions cost us at the worst time to make mistakes.

-Diggs, we should probably stop being against him with his attitude and adopt that attitude, he is a competitor with a killer mindset, we gave up on him this season, totally unforgivable, sorry but these routes are atrocious and difficult to follow, the routes are as bad as Rex ryan's Defense playbook, there's no fluidity and nothing that is medium 10,15-20 yards plays. the lack of pass plays in this playbook is terrible.

-NFL, cmon you guys knew they want T swift and the NFL sweetheart team to win. I hate seeing how the other AFC fanbases in the NFL laughing at us, they should be cheering us on trying to take down the NFL's favorite team and their obsession with Taylor Swift. The Bills aren't trying to be Dynasty the Bills are trying to be the underdog team that is trying to give the NFL the biggest middle finger possible for treating certain team with more specialty than others. The Bills, Browns, Lions, Titans have been the NFL's whipping boys taking the garbage to the face while the Patriots, Chiefs, Broncos, and Ravens are given 5-star cuisines. It's about time there's a major change in the NFL. The NFC have different representatives every year but yet some how it's been patriots, ravens, broncos, patriots, broncos, patriots, patriots, patriots, patriots, Chiefs, Chiefs, bengals, and chiefs. Like this repetition on a apparently "super stacked" AFC is outright outrages and unbelievable to the point that I don't even bother with the super bowl anymore, all I care is that we make the playoff at this point because if you're not the Chiefs you're not going to the big one, it's been made so clear.

32 minutes ago, Punch said:

This is such a nightmare:

They also became the 1st team since at least 1991 to rush for 124+ yards in the first half of a playoff game lose.  Teams were 20-0 when they had done that.

26 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

That’s my only fear really….i think another second round bounce or two in the playoffs and we’ll be firing mcd which seems deserved but the defense is gonna regress even further so we’ll end up in the same boat or worse 

It was a weird game though…usually top is an indicator that one team isn’t doing much on offense but the chiefs were just scoring very fast lol 

When you are averaging 9 yards per play midway thru the 4th quarter it doesn't take many plays to score.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, weebdestroyer12 said:

Honestly I get we are all upset and want to put blame on someone but in all honestly this game went the way it should all the way until the last 2 minutes of regulation.

-Was there missed call by the Refs that favored the Chiefs? Yes, but not in a way that made a game changing moment, had they scored instead of going 3 and out then I would be calling for the Ref's head.

-Did our defense stink? Depends, we're missing our 1st and 2nd stringer playing with players that are practically practice squad members against a team fully healthy. So I say our defense did the best it could with what they had, and that says much cause Frazier with all the pieces would have been ran through.

-Offense, did great until again 2 minutes left. Sorry but that's on Allen for passing it to Shakir for a TD with 1:50 left instead of Diggs under, get a 1st down and run out the clock and get a TD with little time as possible. Allen did great and everything he could just bad read that one play sadly cost the game. No reason to have to go three and out there, we had the weapon and scheme, we jut fizzled up.

-Bass, listen we can oust, get his head on a stick. That kick was just not going to happen and he shouldn't have been put in that situation at that moment. Also odd Reid called a TO to ice Bass, but the refs ignored it once it was a miss... pretty odd.

-Coaching, wasn't as bad as the other playoff lost, this was strong till the end for once, it looked like the team finally had it figured out, but once again bad 2-3 decisions cost us at the worst time to make mistakes.

-Diggs, we should probably stop being against him with his attitude and adopt that attitude, he is a competitor with a killer mindset, we gave up on him this season, totally unforgivable, sorry but these routes are atrocious and difficult to follow, the routes are as bad as Rex ryan's Defense playbook, there's no fluidity and nothing that is medium 10,15-20 yards plays. the lack of pass plays in this playbook is terrible.

-NFL, cmon you guys knew they want T swift and the NFL sweetheart team to win. I hate seeing how the other AFC fanbases in the NFL laughing at us, they should be cheering us on trying to take down the NFL's favorite team and their obsession with Taylor Swift. The Bills aren't trying to be Dynasty the Bills are trying to be the underdog team that is trying to give the NFL the biggest middle finger possible for treating certain team with more specialty than others. The Bills, Browns, Lions, Titans have been the NFL's whipping boys taking the garbage to the face while the Patriots, Chiefs, Broncos, and Ravens are given 5-star cuisines. It's about time there's a major change in the NFL. The NFC have different representatives every year but yet some how it's been patriots, ravens, broncos, patriots, broncos, patriots, patriots, patriots, patriots, Chiefs, Chiefs, bengals, and chiefs. Like this repetition on a apparently "super stacked" AFC is outright outrages and unbelievable to the point that I don't even bother with the super bowl anymore, all I care is that we make the playoff at this point because if you're not the Chiefs you're not going to the big one, it's been made so clear.

The assumptions made on this board are comical.  So the Bills should pass up a sure TD when it's there and just assume nothing bad would happen if they threw it to Diggs and he got a first down. You know like a fumble, INT, sack/strip, tipped ball INT, etc?  In the NFL you don't have the luxury of taking things for granted like all you Madden lovers can in the video game world. It's just an automatic TD some other play down the line?  Like the Bills are playing against air?

I cannot give Diggs anymore passes because when the Bills need him the most he performs the worst.  In the last 3 games the Bills have been eliminated in the playoffs, Diggs has 10 catches on 24 targets for 63 yards and 0 TDs.  Sorry, but he is here to be a difference maker.  When your #1 WR is averaging 3.3 catches and 21 yards a game, that just flat out isn't good enough.  And it's not like he didn't have chances to make plays this game, he simply didn't.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

He did … until last night. 

And most us no longer care about what he does in the regular season, provided he makes the playoffs. 

Last night, he had a chance to win most us doubters over and he failed in spectacular fashion.  

I didnt expect a dominant performance given the injuries… but I sure as **** didn’t expect that.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He did … until last night. 

And most us no longer care about what he does in the regular season, provided he makes the playoffs. 

Last night, he had a chance to win most us doubters over and he failed in spectacular fashion.  

I didnt expect a dominant performance given the injuries… but I sure as **** didn’t expect that.  

Douglas shouldn't have been playing.  He had his worst game as a Bills by far and clearly was a shell of himself.  Should have gotten benched in the 2nd half for Elam.  Bills were up against it versus any competant offense and for as not so great at the Chiefs were on offense this year, being down that much on D against someone as creative as Reid and Mahomes that could exploit it over and over again was not ideal.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Douglas shouldn't have been playing.  He had his worst game as a Bills by far and clearly was a shell of himself.  Should have gotten benched in the 2nd half for Elam.  Bills were up against it versus any competant offense and for as not so great at the Chiefs were on offense this year, being down that much on D against someone as creative as Reid and Mahomes that could exploit it over and over again was not ideal.

No, it wasn’t ideal.  I agree - It was a tough spot. 

But I can’t keep giving a defensive head coach excuse after excuse as to why his defense fails us against good offenses in the playoffs every year. 

That performance was horrific.  Beyond anything I could have possibly predicted.. especially given our offense played ball control all game. 

At some point, it’s him .. not the mental exhaustion or injuries or team not being ready for the moment yet or miscommunication/confusion on a late drive with 13 second left. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

No, it wasn’t.  It was a tough spot. 

But I can’t keep giving a defensive head coach excuse after excuse as to why his defense fails us against good offenses in the playoffs every year. 

At some point, it’s him .. not the mental exhaustion or injuries or team not being ready for the moment yet or miscommunication/confusion on a late drive with 13 second left. 

Can you name a single coach that is going to take 4th/5th string players at LB and at DB along with 2 of the players playing well below 100% clearly and "scheme" something up that would allow them to not get smoked?  Because I don't really know of one off the top of my head.  Especially when he has only a single game to try and get them playing together and a new "QB" of the defense making adjustments on the field?

Respectfully, not even Belichick is making that D look good.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

No, it wasn’t ideal.  I agree - It was a tough spot. 

That performance was horrific.  Beyond anything I could have possibly predicted.. especially given our offense played ball control all game. 

Exactly...he's the HC.  His specialty is defense.  Find a damn way of keeping half your players from getting injured all the time. Is the Bills conditioning staff awful or what. Figure out that dilemma and maybe we can field a full defense one of these years.  We put zero pressure on Pat tonight. 

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I've been saying we're becoming the Rivers Chargers teams for a while now 

I've made a similar statement and got roasted. Most here aren't objective enough to be critical of the team, players, coaches, and organization. I doubt this is a wake up call. 

The Bills will run it back with McD. The posters here in August and September will be full of optimism. It will be another super bowl appearance for sure. 

Some things are very predictable. One of them is the Chiefs beating the Bills in the playoffs. 

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Poor coaching decision then? 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.