Brandon Beane was right and we were wrong.

Rigotz

Thought it might be interesting, as we head into the playoffs, to discuss a few times in recent seasons that we were all wrong and Brandon Beane was right:

- "Wrong Josh" - don't you wish you had Josh Rosen right now?

- "Undersized LB" - letting Tremaine Edmunds walk and replacing him with a tiny LB in Terrel Bernard?? Disaster!

- "Pay Shaq! Pay Phillips! Pay Poyer!" - Beane let all of them walk and all of them came back on cheaper contracts.

- "Don't pay Ed!" - Remember your reaction when you saw the big Ed Oliver contract?

- "Another RB who can't handle a full workload!" - Cook is way too small to ever be a true lead back.

- "Pay Gabe Davis" - what a difference a year makes. Wish we locked Gabe up last year at $12M/yr.

- "FIRE MCDERMOTT" - this would have been Beane's call, if it happened.

I'm sure there are many more, but those are just from the top of my head.

How about that Rasul Douglas trade?

2022 Draft Class:

1st - Elam - TBD

2nd - Cook - STUD

3rd - Bernard - STUD

5th - Shakir - STUD

6th - Benford - STUD

7th - Spector - Possibly good depth!

2023 Draft Class:

1st - Kincaid - STUD

2nd - Torrence - STUD

3rd - Dorian - TBD

5th - Shorter - TBD

7th - Broeker + Austin - our team was too deep to keep them

Beane has been en fuego.

Do you have any others?

• Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I very much appreciate how many legitimate NFL players he has been able to find drafting where we have 

My quibble is that we haven't gotten true difference makers and we haven't done enough on offense

Kincaid and Cook aren't difference makers? 

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Rigotz said:

Thought it might be interesting, as we head into the playoffs, to discuss a few times in recent seasons that we were all wrong and Brandon Beane was right:

- "Undersized LB" - letting Tremaine Edmunds walk and replacing him with a tiny LB in Terrel Bernard?? Disaster!

- "Pay Shaq! Pay Phillips! Pay Poyer!" - Beane let all of them walk and all of them came back on cheaper contracts.

- "Don't pay Ed!" - Remember your reaction when you saw the big Ed Oliver contract?

- "Another RB who can't handle a full workload!" - Cook is way too small to ever be a true lead back.

- "Pay Gabe Davis" - what a difference a year makes. Wish we locked Gabe up last year at $12M/yr.

2022 Draft Class:

1st - Elam - TBD

2nd - Cook - STUD

3rd - Bernard - STUD

5th - Shakir - STUD

6th - Benford - STUD

2023 Draft Class:

1st - Kincaid - STUD

2nd - Torrence - STUD

3rd - Dorian - TBD

5th - Shorter - TBD

Beane has been en fuego.

Do you have any others?

Bye and large I see your point and agree... however to the bolded:

Cook has been phenomenal. However it remains to be seen if his body can withstand the kind of workload it saw this year, year in and year out. My guess is we bring in another back to give him somewhat of a decrease in snaps throughout the season to save some wear and tear.

Gabe Davis: A bit too soon to spike the football on this. It still wouldn't shock me it he gets signed after the season. They love him. 

Not firing McD has NOTHING to do with Beane. That is a Pegula call. The way the chain of command is is that Sean and Brandon are on equal footing. They both report to Pegula. Neither is they others boss.

But again, agree with the tome and general point here.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Sorry - you were right about everything. I'm sure many others were also right about everything. Must feel awesome.

In limeaids defense you did say "we were all wrong". You can't get salty at him for stating that not all

posters shared in all of those thoughts. 

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

2022 Draft Class:

1st - Elam - TBD

2nd - Cook - STUD

3rd - Bernard - STUD

5th - Shakir - STUD

6th - Benford - STUD

2023 Draft Class:

1st - Kincaid - STUD

2nd - Torrence - STUD

3rd - Dorian - TBD

5th - Shorter - TBD

Beane has been en fuego.

Do you have any others?

Gabe Davis at 12M a year would be an absolute disaster. They will re-sign him but they shouldn't. He is the same or worse than he always has been. Calling Elam TBD is a stretch, McDermott doesn't like him despite what he says publicly. 

Edited by MWK
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Imo not yet no

Cook finished 6th in the NFL in total yards, 18 yards from 4th. What does he need to do, finish 1st and have a 1000 yard lead over 2nd place?

Kincaid broke the Bills franchise reception mark in a season for TEs in his rookie year. He has been increasingly a difference maker as the season has gone on and will be headed to elite territory in the next year or two.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Big Turk said:

Cook finished 6th in the NFL in total yards. What does he need to do, finish 1st and have a 1000 yard lead over 2nd place?

I like cook, he's got a lot of potential

But if your go to play on third/fourth and short is still QB keep you don't have a great RB

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

As much as we like many of the guys we have drafted, most of them just add to the depth of the team which is strong I might add. We need a couple legit home runs. A couple josh Allen's at different positions. 

It's a lot harder hitting homeruns with playoff draft slots.  The homeruns, on a % basis, are mostly top 10 picks.  Remember when Cincy beat us last year & everyone was pointing to their draft pick homeruns Burrow & Chase who were top pick & top 5 pick. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I like cook, he's got a lot of potential

But if your go to play on third/fourth and short is still QB keep you don't have a great RB

That's a silly statement. Why would you trade a play with a near 100% success rate for one that has about a 60% success rate AT BEST?

No NFL coach in their right mind is trading as close to a guarantee for something slightly better than 50/50 and if they are, they won't be an NFL head coach too long.

This isn't 1970 anymore. Gotta stay with the times.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

2022 Draft Class:

1st - Elam - TBD

2nd - Cook - STUD

3rd - Bernard - STUD

5th - Shakir - STUD

6th - Benford - STUD

2023 Draft Class:

1st - Kincaid - STUD

2nd - Torrence - STUD

3rd - Dorian - TBD

5th - Shorter - TBD

Beane has been en fuego.

Do you have any others?

Diva Diggs who is in reality the fiery leader and all pro ? 

6 minutes ago, boater said:

To quote others here sometime ago: Beane is a Wizard.

He has a huge salary cap problem in 2024. Watching him address that will be primo entertainment.

The Von Miller deal could derail all of the good that he has done... I don't want it to be his albatross, I am rooting for him to put on his Creative Cap cap and make it all better.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I very much appreciate how many legitimate NFL players he has been able to find drafting where we have 

My quibble is that we haven't gotten true difference makers and we haven't done enough on offense

This is all that needs saying. That is the report card on Brandon Beane in two sentences. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

2022 Draft Class:

1st - Elam - TBD

2nd - Cook - STUD

3rd - Bernard - STUD

5th - Shakir - STUD

6th - Benford - STUD

2023 Draft Class:

1st - Kincaid - STUD

2nd - Torrence - STUD

3rd - Dorian - TBD

5th - Shorter - TBD

Beane has been en fuego.

Do you have any others?

I didn’t want Josh Rosen. I wanted Baker Mayfield. Allen was 2nd on my board

16 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

2022 Draft Class:

1st - Elam - TBD

2nd - Cook - STUD

3rd - Bernard - STUD

5th - Shakir - STUD

6th - Benford - STUD

2023 Draft Class:

1st - Kincaid - STUD

2nd - Torrence - STUD

3rd - Dorian - TBD

5th - Shorter - TBD

Beane has been en fuego.

Do you have any others?

I don’t disagree with most of this. But the bold is just comically wrong. Elam can easily be labeled a bust. You don’t draft a CB in the first round and expect him to be inactive every game and roasted when he is active. Elam is absolutely a bust. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Imo not yet no

What? Cook is top 5 yards from scrimmage and Kincaid just set a TE catch record for the Bills. 

If those aren’t “difference makers” what exactly are you looking for?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It's a lot harder hitting homeruns with playoff draft slots.  The homeruns, on a % basis, are mostly top 10 picks.  Remember when Cincy beat us last year & everyone was pointing to their draft pick homeruns Burrow & Chase who were top pick & top 5 pick. 

Yeah your right for sure. It's the downside of being a really good team. (As odd as that sounds). I really think Beane has done a great job and wouldn't change being great for picking high. Go bills!!

20 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

The only thing you got really wrong.

McD does not report to Beane. Beane has no say over McD's job, and McD has no say over Beane's job.

They both report directly and separately to Terry Pegula. Pegula, and only Pegula, decides who gets fired and when.

If Terry wanted to fire McD, the only decision he'd leave to Beane is if Beane wanted to go with his buddy or keep his job.

7 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I don’t disagree with most of this. But the bold is just comically wrong. Elam can easily be labeled a bust. You don’t draft a CB in the first round and expect him to be inactive every game and roasted when he is active. Elam is absolutely a bust. 

He was inactive due to an undisclosed injury.  If he had spent the whole season on IR, would you still be considering him a bust, or would you be willing to give him one more chance?  

I'm in the wait & see corner.  However, if Beane trades him in the offseason, then I can move him into the bust column.  Otherwise, I'm willing to see what he does next year.  No matter what, he is unlikely to open next season as a starter because Benford, Douglas and possibly Tre are ahead of him on the depth chart.  I think if Tre is back at 100%, Elam will be gone, but that's a big if.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

15 minutes ago, boater said:

To quote others here sometime ago: Beane is a Wizard.

He has a huge salary cap problem in 2024. Watching him address that will be primo entertainment.

Hugely overstated. Watch how much the cap goes up.

• Agree 2

Overall, he’s been solid minus Miller and Teller, which were big ouches. He has not done enough for Allen, which is my biggest quibble.

Allen finally does have a decent line this year.

WR must be addressed.

28 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

2022 Draft Class:

1st - Elam - TBD

2nd - Cook - STUD

3rd - Bernard - STUD

5th - Shakir - STUD

6th - Benford - STUD

2023 Draft Class:

1st - Kincaid - STUD

2nd - Torrence - STUD

3rd - Dorian - TBD

5th - Shorter - TBD

Beane has been en fuego.

Do you have any others?

Who is “we” exactly?

And McDermott doesn’t report to Beane, he reports directly to Terry. That’s been widely and repeatedly reported. So your little attempt to scold people is, on its face, incorrect.

Edited by JoPoy88

I think this offense really takes off when Hines comes back and we get a better #2 WR option.

Hines can be what he was brought here to do...be that fast catching receiving back option.  I think his hands are more reliable and picks up the blitz better.

Cook can be our regular bell cow back with carries and shorter route throws.

31 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

2022 Draft Class:

1st - Elam - TBD

2nd - Cook - STUD

3rd - Bernard - STUD

5th - Shakir - STUD

6th - Benford - STUD

2023 Draft Class:

1st - Kincaid - STUD

2nd - Torrence - STUD

3rd - Dorian - TBD

5th - Shorter - TBD

Beane has been en fuego.

Do you have any others?

James Cook great back but has stone hands lock him on the jugs machine 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

La Porta

The only difference between Kincaid and LaPorta isnt talent. It's scheme and usage.

Swap players and teams and Kincaid has the better numbers on Detroit with the hottest OC, while LaPorta struggles with underqualified OCs and interim OCs.

• Agree 3

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

The only difference between Kincaid and LaPorta isnt talent. It's scheme and usage.

Swap players and teams and Kincaid has the better numbers on Detroit with the hottest OC, while LaPorta struggles with underqualified OCs and interim OCs.

Maybe

I think he's legit, looks like an absolute natural

Kincaid is really nice for a rookie but LaPorta moves like a 10yr guy out there

if he can move stuff around and keep the team improving/staying where it is i'll say he's a top flight (as in, top 5) GM.  as mentioned before, his lack of super stars on O is the issue (altho, i even check myself cuz allen, kinkaid, cook, you are getting there pretty fast).

18 minutes ago, eball said:

What? Cook is top 5 yards from scrimmage and Kincaid just set a TE catch record for the Bills. 

If those aren’t “difference makers” what exactly are you looking for?

~600 yards and 2 TD’s is an improvement over McKenzie totals.

I have high hopes for Kincaid’s future after what I would consider a good rookie season, but imo, he needs to be an unquestioned top 6-8 TE to be considered a difference maker.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I agree with this. Honestly I wouldn't swap players at this point. Come back to me in a year and I might but right now I would stick with Kincaid.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Not firing McD has NOTHING to do with Beane. That is a Pegula call. The way the chain of command is is that Sean and Brandon are on equal footing. They both report to Pegula. Neither is they others boss.

Correct.

Coach McD was actually here prior to Beane no matter what the conspiracy buffs think.

Beane was recommended by Coach McD and have been lock stepped in extensions.

Edited by Limeaid
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Maybe

I think he's legit, looks like an absolute natural

Kincaid is really nice for a rookie but LaPorta moves like a 10yr guy out there

On this point, another quibble I have with Beane is his lack of patience in the draft. He always seems to trade up but there’s almost always better players that go later in the position he traded up for. I could list a ton of players that would’ve helped us in the 4th round where those picks were burned.

Let the draft come to you, Beane!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.