Steelers @ Bills. Monday, January 15th at 4:30pm.

Einstein

8 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Yeah.....I don't get this spread at all.  We have been big favorites in recent weeks and have never come close to covering those numbers.  In fact, we haven't covered most of the year in general.  With a physical Steelers team that is going to look to come in here can control the game and time of possession on the ground, with the added weather element, this seems like an easy cove on the line.  I'd be more tempted to take the Steelers on the moneyline than I would be to take the Bills and lay the points.  I think that number in a Playoff game is almost ridiculous in perfect weather let alone what these teams are potentially dealing with Sunday.  Seems like a very strange spread all things considered.

Vegas has had an inexplicable adulation for the Bills the last 3 years. But that alone doesn't explain how the line has only dropped to -9.5 after the lake effect forecast. What is going on here? I like the Bills to win, but you would be insane to bet on Buffalo covering

• Like (+1) 2

Well, flight from the west coast is cancelled, so I am putting away my coat and mittens and will watch the game in the 70s by the pool. Should be a better view, but I'm so sad to miss the snow game experience in person.

If the Bills spread the field they will find better running lanes for Josh and the RBs, but also be able to complete 5-15 yard passes regardless of weather. We are not built to play eight offensive linemen in I formation no matter what the weather, so I hope we can be creative and not just be ourselves like there isn't weather, but also not act like a 1950s Chicago Bears team thinking we have to.

We will try again next weekend if there is a game and there is an airport.

Go Bills

• Sad 3

31 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Josh has thrown 1 or more INTs in 15 of the 17 games this season, including all 3 of the most recent 3 games.  Only recent game with 0 int was Dallas, where we rushed 49 times and passed 15 times.  So that part of their opinion would appear to be grounded in Fact.

I don't understand the viewpoint that the Bills defeat the Steelers easily, even if the weather were perfect.  The Steelers have a very solid defense, #6 in the league for points.  #8 for take-aways.  They have wins against the Browns, Ravens (2x), Rams, and Packers, all playoff teams; they also won against Cincy (2x) and the Seahawks, teams expected to contend.  Like the Bills, they have somewhat inexplicable losses to teams they really should have beaten, namely the Patriots and Cardinals.  They have a talented 1-2 punch at RB in Harris and Warren.  They have a solid coach in Tomlin, and a QB hungry to play whose body is "early in the season" for bumps and bruises.  It's very shallow trendy analysis, IMHO.

I think you slipped and fell into his Sar Chasm ⛰️⛰️

because the Bills are clearly a better football team in almost every aspect, but most importantly the difference at QB is as large as you can get in the NFL.

The Bills have played down to their opponents for the most part this year and bad weather, those are the things Steelers fans are holding onto.

1 hour ago, Buffalo619 said:

Safety. It’s a little snow. Why overreact?

Not an overreaction. Bunch of people died in the last one. So guess thats the overreaction. I would be thrilled to be wrong about the state of emergency situation. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Koufax said:

Well, flight from the west coast is cancelled, so I am putting away my coat and mittens and will watch the game in the 70s by the pool. Should be a better view, but I'm so sad to miss the snow game experience in person.

If the Bills spread the field they will find better running lanes for Josh and the RBs, but also be able to complete 5-15 yard passes regardless of weather. We are not built to play eight offensive linemen in I formation no matter what the weather, so I hope we can be creative and not just be ourselves like there isn't weather, but also not act like a 1950s Chicago Bears team thinking we have to.

We will try again next weekend if there is a game and there is an airport.

Go Bills

Can’t you fly into Rochester and Lyft or find a bus into Orchard Park? Where there is a will there is a way. 

32 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Vegas has had an inexplicable adulation for the Bills the last 3 years. But that alone doesn't explain how the line has only dropped to -9.5 after the lake effect forecast. What is going on here? I like the Bills to win, but you would be insane to bet on Buffalo covering

Agree that has to be the best bet all season. The Bills typically don’t cover big spreads. Oh and apparently the weather is gonna be bad. 

31 minutes ago, Milanos Milano said:

Can’t you fly into Rochester and Lyft or find a bus into Orchard Park? Where there is a will there is a way. 

I like your thinking. Been trying everywhere, but I think we are going to have to root for another opportunity next weekend. Go Bills!

1 minute ago, Koufax said:

I like your thinking. Been trying everywhere, but I think we are going to have to root for another opportunity next weekend. Go Bills!

Fly to Cleveland and drive up. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Anyone know when the Steelers are traveling to Buffalo?  

Presumably they're flying.  

Will the airport even be open?  

Yes. They’re supposed to leave Pittsburgh at 3pm, arrive in Buffalo at 4:15pm 

4 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Yes. They’re supposed to leave Pittsburgh at 3pm, arrive in Buffalo at 4:15pm 

Isn't that supposed to be like the peak of the wind?  They were showing a graphic on the Weather Channel today (which admittedly was probably exaggerated) that showed Buffalo getting 60-75mph winds tomorrow afternoon.

All I know is if they are flying in and it's even blowing 35 steady with gusts above that everyone on that plane better bring a barf bag and wear their brown pants. Pilots included.  

Edited by That's No Moon

1 hour ago, chongli said:

I didn't realize he was this good:

Oh, dear.  Well, that makes him sound splendid.  But saying he's averaged 24 passing attempts and 234 yds per game (of which 60% are YAC), and has a total of 3 passing TDs in 3 games, might make him sound a bit more ordinary?

He's certainly elevated the QB play in Pittsburgh, but the bar was kinda low.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Isn't that supposed to be like the peak of the wind?  They were showing a graphic on the Weather Channel today (which admittedly was probably exaggerated) that showed Buffalo getting 60-75mph winds tomorrow afternoon.

All I know is if they are flying in and it's even blowing 35 steady with gusts above that everyone on that plane better bring a barf bag and wear their brown pants. Pilots included.  

I dunno about peak, but the NOAA forcast calls for 32-37 mph winds possibly gusting "as high as 65".  I would guess that number has an error bar which is where 60-75 might come from, but that would seem like the upper end of the upper end.

Still, if I were a Steeler, I'd be wondering if a 3 hr bus drive to hotel near Highmark Stadium might be preferable to a bus to the airport, 1:15 flight, bus to hotel.

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Exactly. It's bizarre that the weather seems to be worsening on a few sites while others just update a few things here or there. I've never seen accurate weather models shift so much in so short of hours. Granted I don't keep an eye on buffalo weather but for about half the year I check weather 3-4 times a day in NC.

The officials making the decisions - well, I think if this was any other weekend it'd be no story at all.  People would just go on living. 

Lake effect bands are perhaps the most unpredictable weather patterns. Winds can be a fickle thing. 

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Anyone know when the Steelers are traveling to Buffalo?  

Presumably they're flying.  

Will the airport even be open?  

They are in trouble if they are flying JetBlue like I was...but currently showing more than half the flights tomorrow cancelled already. Would be awesome if they had some extra hassles to deal with between now and kick off...

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Exactly. It's bizarre that the weather seems to be worsening on a few sites while others just update a few things here or there. I've never seen accurate weather models shift so much in so short of hours. Granted I don't keep an eye on buffalo weather but for about half the year I check weather 3-4 times a day in NC.

The officials making the decisions - well, I think if this was any other weekend it'd be no story at all.  People would just go on living. 

Where I am

https://www.nws.noaa.gov/wtf/MapClick.php?site=BUF&textField1=42.7833&textField2=-78.7467&lg=ep

Doesn't seem to have changed much as far as wind.  They've taken the snow accumulation predictions off of Sunday and Monday, maybe that's just an error with the updated forecast and they'll add it back in.

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I dunno about peak, but the NOAA forcast calls for 32-37 mph winds possibly gusting "as high as 65".  I would guess that number has an error bar which is where 60-75 might come from, but that would seem like the upper end of the upper end.

Still, if I were a Steeler, I'd be wondering if a 3 hr bus drive to hotel near Highmark Stadium might be preferable to a bus to the airport, 1:15 flight, bus to hotel.

Seriously. "Sorry Coach, I'll meet you guys there, I'm gonna drive today."

Much of this  thread is Buffalo's going to lose because of the weather or Mason Rudolph is going to beat the Bills because he is the best Qb in the league right now. I wasn't particularly nervous about this game but all this talk is starting to get me down. Man it would be a shame to lose this game to this team or the circumstances.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Where I am

https://www.nws.noaa.gov/wtf/MapClick.php?site=BUF&textField1=42.7833&textField2=-78.7467&lg=ep

Doesn't seem to have changed much as far as wind.  They've taken the snow accumulation predictions off of Sunday and Monday, maybe that's just an error with the updated forecast and they'll add it back in.

That's not an error. It just means they don't know, which is disturbing.  They don't want to have a huge miss on either side.

1 minute ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Much of this  thread is Buffalo's going to lose because of the weather or Mason Rudolph is going to beat the Bills because he is the best Qb in the league right now. I wasn't particularly nervous about this game but all this talk is starting to get me down. Man it would be a shame to lose this game to this team or the circumstances.  

Dry day, no wind, Bills roll, very little question in my mind.  With the weather it enters all sorts of variables and it triggers all of our accumulated and collective PTSD.

I'll say this.

1. I'm glad we have shown that we can run the ball more this year

2. I'm glad Murray and Playoff Lenny are on the team.

3. God Bless Daquan Jones, Ed Oliver, and Linval Joseph

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

That's not an error. It just means they don't know, which is disturbing.  They don't want to have a huge miss on either side.

Dry day, no wind, Bills roll, very little question in my mind.  With the weather it enters all sorts of variables and it triggers all of our accumulated and collective PTSD.

I'll say this.

1. I'm glad we have shown that we can run the ball more this year

2. I'm glad Murray and Playoff Lenny are on the team.

3. God Bless Daquan Jones, Ed Oliver, and Linval Joseph

I agree. The ptsd is real. 
it's a funny thing when we have Allen yet when there's snow, it seems more people have faith in Rudolph. (At least there's a ton of talk about how great he is). They are without Watt. I feel that the running game is about even for both teams given the weather. Idk, I'd take Buffalo no matter the weather. But all the talk has shaken me

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

It’s not an equalizer, the Bills remain the superior team in any weather. Stop being chicken little

We are a speed and finesse team on both sides of the ball.

It’s the NFL,  the margins between good and bad are not big. You have no clue who is superior when you can’t execute basic passing plays.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 7
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, QLBillsFan said:

Not an overreaction. Bunch of people died in the last one. So guess thats the overreaction. I would be thrilled to be wrong about the state of emergency situation. 

The "last one," being the 2022 Christmas Blizzard, was 4-7' over three days. Whereas this one is 2' over 36 hours. All storms are not created equal. While the memories of those lost are to be remembered and the lessons of that storm learned in their honor, we all have lifetimes of experience dealing with dozens of storms like THIS one.

We're gonna be ok.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, rayray808 said:

Perfect weather = Mason Rudolph goes for a deep shot once in awhile

Bad weather = Mason Rudolph goes for mid passes once in a while

Awful snow/wind = Mason Rudolph hardly ever passes and if he does - quack quack quack Mr. Ducksworth

Perfect weather = Allen passes and runs for first downs

Bad weather = Allen passes and runs for first downs

Awful snow/wind = Allen passes and runs for first downs

This weather helps us. Don't get overly concerned about it.

That would be cool and all if that’s how it’s played out, but that’s not how it’s played out. Allen did not carry us like that in Bengals game or the Patriots game and in both games we were bullied on the ground. While I think we fair better than we have as we likely have learned a bit, this team is built with speed and to defend the pass. Not to defend a power run scheme. We have a finesse offense as well. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I agree. The ptsd is real. 
it's a funny thing when we have Allen yet when there's snow, it seems more people have faith in Rudolph. (At least there's a ton of talk about how great he is). They are without Watt. I feel that the running game is about even for both teams given the weather. Idk, I'd take Buffalo no matter the weather. But all the talk has shaken me

Rudolph doesn't bother me. Pickens bothers me because he's the sort of guy who can go catch a windblown jump ball over the top of 3 DBs just because.  Najee Harris really bothers me. Really really bothers me.  

James Cook excites and terrifies me simultaneously. He's a Miami kid who I've never seen in really lousy weather. I saw him in the rain in Philly and he dropped a TD. That plants Ronnie Harmon thoughts in my head.  I don't need Ronnie Harmon thoughts in my head.  Josh Allen is at the same time the most exciting player we've ever had and the most butt clenching roller coaster ride there is.  In a super windy, super snowy game the need for him to do a thing becomes greater. The danger involved when he goes and tries to do said thing is greatly amplified.  His typical roller coaster from hell becomes a light speed space flight weaving through an asteroid belt with one hand on the wheel while pounding a 40 of OE 800.

Now. Things that are keeping me sane. Pickens could also be the sort of guy who steps out of the locker room on a day like that and says no thank you. For those of you old enough, Haywood Jeffries used to be a guy like that. The last time Dionte Johnson was here in the winter he couldn't catch a tennis ball with velcro gloves. TJ Watt isn't playing.

This is very much a game where scoring early will matter. Scoring going into the wind will be huge. Demoralizing the Steelers early and often, remind them that they don't belong there and it's really cold and they just would really rather go home.  Keeping them in the game does the opposite of that.  Turning the ball over does the opposite of that.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

We are a speed and finesse team on both sides of the ball.

I think we are better equipped to win a slug fest this year than we were last.  I'd be happier if Dodson hadn't just wrecked his shoulder.  I had that same injury. He's not going to be fine.  Maybe they can shoot it up, but that arm isn't going to work right and it's going to hurt like hell when he tries to use it.

Sitting Miller has to be a serious consideration.  Does he have confidence and the strength in his leg to be able to rush, and more importantly, anchor on a field like that?  Rousseau, Lawson, Epenesa, heck I'd even toy with having Oliver outside with more beef inside as part of a rotation though the DTs in this game are going to be huge for both teams. Any pressure is going to come up the middle rather than the outside and those guys need to jam up the inside running lanes as well.

IF we advance, the following results seem to be the best outcomes

If KC Wins, we wanted CLE.  
Browns have best chance to win in Baltimore IMO.

Mahomes again: less than ideal. Even if here.

AFC Champ appearance vs CLE if we’re lucky 

If MIA Wins, we wanted HOU.
Early forecast is more of the same later next week.  Sean’s D against a rookie QB (as good as he seems) who I don’t think has ever played in anything close to this.

AFC Champ appearance vs MIA if we’re lucky

a LOT of IF’s obviously.
Fun to think about though

I expect Miami to be absolutely destroyed tomorrow

Edited by Warriorspikes51

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I expect Miami to be absolutely destroyed tomorrow

That game is bonus joy for me either way.  Whoever loses, that's just fantastic.  Let them beat the mess out of each other on that frozen rock of a field while they are at it.

That said, Miami's misdirection game could be big for them.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, That's No Moon said:

That game is bonus joy for me either way.  Whoever loses, that's just fantastic.  Let them beat the mess out of each other on that frozen rock of a field while they are at it.

true!  If KC and Buffalo meet in the Divisional AGAIN…both teams will have gone through a brutal game to get there

I gotta admit, the Steelers have a better shot because the weather but still be shocked if Buf lost but this weather takes away our biggest advantage in a sense, our QB play,  to a certain extent. But we still have a defensive advantage,  home field, overall better team. 

In perfect conditions I got Bills by double digits. 

In these conditions I have Bills by 3-7 points

24 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Rudolph doesn't bother me. Pickens bothers me because he's the sort of guy who can go catch a windblown jump ball over the top of 3 DBs just because.  Najee Harris really bothers me. Really really bothers me.  

James Cook excites and terrifies me simultaneously. He's a Miami kid who I've never seen in really lousy weather. I saw him in the rain in Philly and he dropped a TD. That plants Ronnie Harmon thoughts in my head.  I don't need Ronnie Harmon thoughts in my head.  Josh Allen is at the same time the most exciting player we've ever had and the most butt clenching roller coaster ride there is.  In a super windy, super snowy game the need for him to do a thing becomes greater. The danger involved when he goes and tries to do said thing is greatly amplified.  His typical roller coaster from hell becomes a light speed space flight weaving through an asteroid belt with one hand on the wheel while pounding a 40 of OE 800.

Now. Things that are keeping me sane. Pickens could also be the sort of guy who steps out of the locker room on a day like that and says no thank you. For those of you old enough, Haywood Jeffries used to be a guy like that. The last time Dionte Johnson was here in the winter he couldn't catch a tennis ball with velcro gloves. TJ Watt isn't playing.

This is very much a game where scoring early will matter. Scoring going into the wind will be huge. Demoralizing the Steelers early and often, remind them that they don't belong there and it's really cold and they just would really rather go home.  Keeping them in the game does the opposite of that.  Turning the ball over does the opposite of that.  

Great points

STs will also be huge imo in a game like this

7 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I think we are better equipped to win a slug fest this year than we were last.  I'd be happier if Dodson hadn't just wrecked his shoulder.  I had that same injury. He's not going to be fine.  Maybe they can shoot it up, but that arm isn't going to work right and it's going to hurt like hell when he tries to use it.

Sitting Miller has to be a serious consideration.  Does he have confidence and the strength in his leg to be able to rush, and more importantly, anchor on a field like that?  Rousseau, Lawson, Epenesa, heck I'd even toy with having Oliver outside with more beef inside as part of a rotation though the DTs in this game are going to be huge for both teams. Any pressure is going to come up the middle rather than the outside and those guys need to jam up the inside running lanes as well.

Agree. Miller has to sit here and yes, we could see a “big” 3 DT package. My hope is McD has to know even when you think it will limit you, it’s another conversation being in it. The New England game should have taught him some lessons. No point in even trying to run our Nickle base here. Which is difficult because we aren’t flush with LB’s at the moment.As many big bodies as possible

We just don’t know in a lot of respects. I mean to your point, Cook has probably never played even a back yard game in the snow. But same with Davenport outside his time with Pitt (another Miami kid). Does a McCoy like player exist on either team? Nobody knew McCoy could do what he did until the Lions/Eagles but watching his two snow games it was like he was playing on a different field. Something so small could make a difference. 

2 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Agree. Miller has to sit here and yes, we could see a “big” 3 DT package. My hope is McD has to know even when you think it will limit you, it’s another conversation being in it. The New England game should have taught him some lessons. No point in even trying to run our Nickle base here. Which is difficult because we aren’t flush with LB’s at the moment.As many big bodies as possible

We just don’t know in a lot of respects. I mean to your point, Cook has probably never played even a back yard game in the snow. But same with Davenport outside his time with Pitt (another Miami kid). Does a McCoy like player exist on either team? Nobody knew McCoy could do what he did until the Lions/Eagles but watching his two snow games it was like he was playing on a different field. Something so small could make a difference. 

Jaylen Warren played at Snow College. Can't make this up. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Since1981 said:

Just sayin’
In 1975, the season ended on Jan. 12 SB. In 2024, the playoffs start on Jan. 13.

If they'd kill the stupid pre-season they could start in August.  Of course, Miami in August would be the opposite issue we have now.  Maybe the season is too long now, Rog? Naaaaaah, we can slide at least one more in there.

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I gotta admit, the Steelers have a better shot because the weather but still be shocked if Buf lost but this weather takes away our biggest advantage in a sense, our QB play,  to a certain extent. But we still have a defensive advantage,  home field, overall better team. 

In perfect conditions I got Bills by double digits. 

In these conditions I have Bills by 3-7 points

Great points

STs will also be huge imo in a game like this

you might not see a lot of STs outside of kickoffs. FGs and XPs will be difficult along with punts.

3 minutes ago, chongli said:

This Is Fine GIF 

And you all were worried about Kathy freaking Hochul.  I totally saw that ad already today so it's not really "new" on Sunday. That probably helps. Right? Yes. Definitely.

Also, who among us hasn't yelled "SILENCE, JIM NANTZ!" at least once?

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Weather this severe really evens everything.  It’s a shame it’s going to come down to something flukey 

This will likely be the case for the next 30 years of bills football in January. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

If they'd kill the stupid pre-season they could start in August.  Of course, Miami in August would be the opposite issue we have now.  Maybe the season is too long now, Rog? Naaaaaah, we can slide at least one more in there.

There is no reason (other than greed) for the season not to start Labor Day weekend.  It always used to, until around 2000. As a result (and because of the extra game) we get wild card playoff games in mid January in the Northeast and upper Midwest.  Just asking for trouble, and absolutely ridiculous to play your most important games in the worst conditions.  

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.