So how are we feeling about Coach McDermott?

11 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I don’t know. Depends on what happens.

I will laugh at the Harbaugh love if they get bounced in the playoffs again early and ask if he’s still such a better coach.

I’ll also laugh when McDaniel gets trounced and bounced and ask if he’s still such a better coach.

I have no doubt that the Dolphins will not win another game this season. Personally I think the Ravens lose their first playoff game also. That doesn’t mean I think Harbaugh is a bad coach. I think Lamar is trash. I think the Dolphins have a good team but are decimated by injuries. And the fact they will be playing on the road doesn’t bode well for them. They are good but aren’t good enough to compete with good teams. McDaniels will absolutely get owned by the Bills and by whoever they play in the playoffs. But I’d still rather him as our HC than McD. And I absolutely hate McDaniels. Just looking at him makes me want to punch a baby. Again, that should tell you how much I believe in McDermott. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/1/2024 at 11:32 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Has anyone changed their opinion of him over the last month?

This will be an emotional weekend. I’m prepared for a lot of McDermott threads Sunday night if things go poorly. I want to see how we’re feeling entering the biggest regular season game of his head coaching career.

Nothing really changes for me unless we win it all. I want him out. We need an offensive guy Brady started off hot but seems like he’s not the answer as OC . It’s really head scratching to me the way he uses Diggs. Get me Harbuagh he’s perfect for Josh Allen 

58 minutes ago, mrags said:

I have no doubt that the Dolphins will not win another game this season. Personally I think the Ravens lose their first playoff game also. That doesn’t mean I think Harbaugh is a bad coach. I think Lamar is trash. I think the Dolphins have a good team but are decimated by injuries. And the fact they will be playing on the road doesn’t bode well for them. They are good but aren’t good enough to compete with good teams. McDaniels will absolutely get owned by the Bills and by whoever they play in the playoffs. But I’d still rather him as our HC than McD. And I absolutely hate McDaniels. Just looking at him makes me want to punch a baby. Again, that should tell you how much I believe in McDermott. 

Before the injuries the Dolphins couldn’t beat anyone good I don’t think there a good team I think there a bunch of bullies . Lamar is definitely not trash either. 

• Disagree 1

On 1/2/2024 at 12:24 AM, RkFast said:

There have been FOUR head coaches in the modern NFL free agency era who have won more than one SB. Belichick, Reid, Shanahan and Coughlin. Im not counting Jimmy Johnson, as his two Cowboys teams were built prior to the introduction of NFL free agency. So youre setting the highest of high benchmarks for McD, which really is unfair. 

Beyond that, there seems to be this pervasive thought in WNY that some sort of "perfect" coach is out there. Young, dynamic, and free of faults. We are looking for a unicorn here. 

If Belicheck is available go get him u see what he’s doing with that Roster in NE ? I would also love to hire an offensive minded head coach but that would be my 2nd option here because Bill Belicheck is the best and he knows the formula and can get us that elusive ring.  Just make sure he’s not the GM just the head coach . 

2 hours ago, mrags said:

I hope I’m wrong and McD proves me wrong. And if he does I’ll gladly say I was wrong. The question is, if he fails again at the worst time like .13 seconds, like multiple other screw ups. When it means the most. How will you react. You still going to make excuses for him? 

13 seconds was a screw up. If he screws up like that again he should be fired on the spot. I'll give anyone a mulligan. I won't give them two. 

The problem is the people that don't like McDermott want to turn everything into a McDermott screw up. The last two weeks are proof of this. The last two weeks the Bills coaching has been better than the Bills Quarterbacking and the Bills execution in most spots. Put simply they have coached better than the players have played. And yet... two weeks of people trying to pin failure to blow out the Chargers and Patriots on McDermott. People are so convinced that McDermott is the problem they see every mistake, every missed opportunity, every poor outcome through that prism. It makes a proper conversation about the merits of the situation really difficult to achieve. Because the McDermott outers are disingenuous about the things that are actually on him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

13 seconds was a screw up. If he screws up like that again he should be fired on the spot. I'll give anyone a mulligan. I won't give them two. 

The problem is the people that don't like McDermott want to turn everything into a McDermott screw up. The last two weeks are proof of this. The last two weeks the Bills coaching has been better than the Bills Quarterbacking and the Bills execution in most spots. Put simply they have coached better than the players have played. And yet... two weeks of people trying to pin failure to blow out the Chargers and Patriots on McDermott. People are so convinced that McDermott is the problem they see every mistake, every missed opportunity, every poor outcome through that prism. It makes a proper conversation about the merits of the situation really difficult to achieve. Because the McDermott outers are disingenuous about the things that are actually on him.

I’ve been very vocal about the fact I think McD is a decent coach but nothing special. And he has made multiple screw ups this year. There’s the kneel down decision in the game that went to OT that there was more than .13 sec left. So despite having .13 done to him, he had zero faith in his Alien QB to do the same. We lost that game. Eagles if I remember correctly. Then there was the bitching of the Broncos game. Then his defense went full stupid against multiple teams and either allowed them to score with no time left like the Pats, but almost lost other multiple games in the process. You say things like “it was a screw up, and if he does things like that again he should be fired on the spot” but you don’t believe that. If you did, he wouldn’t be here right now. He constantly makes the same mistakes and never learns from them. His terrible clock management and horrible use of challanges and timeouts should get him fired alone. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’ve been very vocal about the fact I think McD is a decent coach but nothing special. And he has made multiple screw ups this year. There’s the kneel down decision in the game that went to OT that there was more than .13 sec left. So despite having .13 done to him, he had zero faith in his Alien QB to do the same. We lost that game. Eagles if I remember correctly. Then there was the bitching of the Broncos game. Then his defense went full stupid against multiple teams and either allowed them to score with no time left like the Pats, but almost lost other multiple games in the process. You say things like “it was a screw up, and if he does things like that again he should be fired on the spot” but you don’t believe that. If you did, he wouldn’t be here right now. He constantly makes the same mistakes and never learns from them. His terrible clock management and horrible use of challanges and timeouts should get him fired alone. 

No I believe he has had some bad moments this year. He has made some mistakes. The Broncos game and the New England game I was very ciritcal of. I was critical of the Tampa game too even though we won. Don't think the Bills were particularly well coached in any of those games. But they are not screw ups like 13 seconds was a screw up. The kneel down at the end vs Philly? Sure I'd maybe have liked them to try a play and see if they could get close but the fact is his kicker had missed twice from well inside 50. His confidence in how close he needed to get was probably not super high. 

If you want an NFL Head coach who hasn't made a single mistake this year then I am here to tell you that you won't find one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/1/2024 at 4:32 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Has anyone changed their opinion of him over the last month?

This will be an emotional weekend. I’m prepared for a lot of McDermott threads Sunday night if things go poorly. I want to see how we’re feeling entering the biggest regular season game of his head coaching career.

If they come out on Sunday trying to run the ball and again struggle on offence costing them the division then I will be pissed and point the finger at him. Even Brady conceded that part of the reason Diggs is not getting the type of production is the Bills trying to run the ball more. Sunday should be about passing the football ,  you paid your QB and top WR loads of money.  Win or lose with those 2

“I don’t think it’s any one thing,” Brady said when asked about Diggs’ part of the equation. “I think it’s a combination of we have been trying to run the ball a little more, I think other guys are continuing to step up, and naturally the focus is always going to be on Stefon Diggs. When you play teams, that’s where the focus is going to be. I have to continue working through just finding ways to get him the ball regardless of that.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

Sean McDermott ranked 8th in fourth down aggression index a few years ago. Kinda tough to argue with that stat.

What? I said the Niners. Did you read my post?

You named a lot of teams.  

You're also leaning defense, which has failed us in the playoffs.

The question should be, and is, can other coaches get more out of Allen and therefore the Offense.  

That's hardly a stretch.  It's difficult to envision anyone getting less out of him and this offense. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

No I believe he has had some bad moments this year. He has made some mistakes. The Broncos game and the New England game I was very ciritcal of. I was critical of the Tampa game too even though we won. Don't think the Bills were particularly well coached in any of those games. But they are not screw ups like 13 seconds was a screw up. The kneel down at the end vs Philly? Sure I'd maybe have liked them to try a play and see if they could get close but the fact is his kicker had missed twice from well inside 50. His confidence in how close he needed to get was probably not super high. 

If you want an NFL Head coach who hasn't made a single mistake this year then I am here to tell you that you won't find one.

I understand you won’t find one. I’d sure like one that doesn’t continue to make the same mistakes with clock management. Timeouts. Challanges. And on field decisions like the Philly debacle. The fact that you were in the exact position on the opposite side of the ball in what was your worst blunder of your career. And you didn’t even give your team and your Superman QB a chance to do the same. Tells me everything that I need to know about him. He’s a conservative coach that is defense minded and doesn’t like to take any chances whatsoever. At that point his season was all but on the line. The other day the Lions went for 2 multiple times to win the game and win the better seed. They didn’t get it but they should have. It’s coaching like that, that I want for this team. Not some scared little turtle tucking his tail inside. 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Watching these games - there is so much bad coaching in the league.

I started a thread saying that I wanted to move on from McD - it was either after Philly or Denver.  But I was wrong.  He's a very solid coach, and that's good to have in this league.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Watching these games - there is so much bad coaching in the league.

I started a thread saying that I wanted to move on from McD - it was either after Philly or Denver.  But I was wrong.  He's a very solid coach, and that's good to have in this league.

I have a theory that 32 teams is just too many.  There aren't 32 starting caliber QBs in the league.  There aren't 32 HC caliber guys in the league.  Hell, there aren't even 32 starting caliber punters in the league.  If it weren't for sports betting and fantasy football you'd have tons and tons of unwatchable NFL games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

On 1/3/2024 at 6:03 AM, GunnerBill said:

there are mistakes, then there are the 13 second, 12 men, kneel down, game blowing mistakes that mcd makes way too often.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

there are mistakes, then there are the 13 second, 12 men, kneel down, game blowing mistakes that mcd makes way too often.  

I don't consider the kneel down a game blowing mistake. 12 men was. 13 seconds was. I can't come up with too many others over 7 years.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't consider the kneel down a game blowing mistake. 12 men was. 13 seconds was. I can't come up with too many others over 7 years.

Most people are going to say Hail Murray, the Jefferson catch, the Hurricane Game, etc. 

Yes, I know those aren’t game blowing mistakes… but others do not. 

Edited by JGMcD2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

None of those were big coaching errors. 

Hail Murray is a terrible example, players chase the rabbit out of the pocket he escapes heaves it down field where like 3 or 4 defenders all surround Hopkins and none of them knock it down or break it up.

Just now, Charles Romes said:

Peterson and McD switched places over the last 5 weeks 

Naaa, McD is nothing like Peterson. He has consistently has his teams interested in winning a division and battling those ups and downs in the process. That is probably what he has done better than anything else. Where he has struggled is in big moments and big games in the playoffs  which is the opposite of Peterson. That seems to be where Peterson tends to do the most damage.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Naaa, McD is nothing like Peterson. He has consistently has his teams interested in winning a division and battling those ups and downs in the process. That is probably what he has done better than anything else. Where he has struggled is in big moments and big games in the playoffs  which is the opposite of Peterson. That seems to be where Peterson tends to do the most damage.   

Correct.

Folks out here loving Dougie Pederson, they just lost a win and in against a 4 win team lol. After starting out 8-3. An actual epic collapse.

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 2

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The problem is that the worst ones are in the playoffs to end out hopes.  

Let's see what happens this season yet.  Who knows, we may win it all and then we're all whistling past the graveyard in a manner of speaking.  

Beginning of the season, progress was defined as making it past the divisional round of the playoffs.  Crappy early season performance lowered the bar.  If the Bills can't win more than 1 playoff game again this year, I will be ok if they keep McDermott, as long as they change their mailing address to 1 and done Bills Drive. 

Another poster earlier posted "win the Super Bowl and I will be happy to have him here for life".  I think that sums up my feelngs, and many others as well. 

59 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Peterson and McD switched places over the last 5 weeks 

Add Nick Siriani to the epic coaching collapse list

The iggles haven't done anything since the refs gave them the W against the Bills

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

McClappy survives another year whatever happens next. Playoffs 5 yrs can’t argue. May always blow the biggest games

Every game has been pretty big since 6-6. We’ve done okay.

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m staying consistent. He gets this team to the Super Bowl or he gets replaced. I’d listen to the AFC Championship game (maybe). The window is open and with Josh Allen you need to go further than before. Hoping that he makes it happen…

You know you want to believe in Sean!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

BTW, you had asked earlier where/when we had discussed coaching before saying we hadn't.  This thread is one of the several places.  

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

BTW, you had asked earlier where/when we had discussed coaching before saying we hadn't.  This thread is one of the several places.  

No I asked where we had discussed your analysis of what has lead to the underperformance of the offense. That is not in this thread.

• Eyeroll 1

The only problem is the entire coaching staff is at best only middle of the road.  Our Special teams play this year has regressed, = Coaching. 

Our D has just started to round into shape but it still had to many issues this year with getting the opposing team off the field when it mattered, = Coaching.

The Offense as of late has been more run oriented and has lost the passing edge we had early this year and we need to get that back ASAP.  We need JA-17 playing like he did against Dallas, Philly and Miami earlier this year, = Coaching.

Coaching control and elite game management does not = McD's best traits.   You either hate where our coaching is right now or try and live with it,  but right now we are who we are.

There are a number of area's that need to be addressed and to ask for a run of an additional 5 more games with out a loss, do to a coaching screw up, is asking for a lot.

We can only hope they can string together 5 more wins.  Its is not going to be easy but hey anything is possible.

Edited by Toyo321

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.