What's Wrong With The Passing O?

Donuts and Doritos

1 hour ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

I think it's a combination of all the issues raised.

Where Josh is concerned, my thoughts shortly after the Patriots loss were that he put on some weight (I doubt he is 237 pounds these days) and spent too much time in the off-season playing golf and doing podcasts, and that it was the first summer he didn't attend Jordan Palmer's QB academy. I have seen nothing recently to change that viewpoint. 

Allen's production this year is equal to or better then previous years with an uptick in INT's and reduction in lost fumbles.  The Bills O remains near the top of the league in offensive stats and the team is playing for an 11 - 6 record and a division title.  Similar to previous season results.  And they're doing this with a collection of offensive skill players that are not as good as those from previous years. 

I just don't see the evidence that Allen's off season activities has hurt his game compared to other far more likely explanations of his occasional struggles (coaching changes, injuries, uneven O line play, poor skill player performances, a D that has struggled due to injuries).

One big issue that has impacted Allen IMO is the defenses performance as a result of all the injuries.  Allen gave the Bills the lead with less then 2 minutes to play in 3 of the games they lost.  Had they held the lead in just 2 of those 3 games (playing against very bad Offenses in Denver & NE) the Bills would be 12 - 4.

• Like (+1) 1

On the other hand, there were times when Brady drew up a really well designed play. For example, this pick play. 

It was ran perfectly on the weak side of the field and Shakir got wide open, but Allen simply never looked over there. He was locked onto the Diggs/Knox combo.

Here is the full progression:

IMG-5986.jpg

IMG-5987.jpg

IMG-5988.jpg

IMG-5989.jpg

IMG-5990.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

It’s really frustrating that two years in a row, we have massive WR questions down the stretch. 

Our most reliable weapons are a 2nd year RB, rookie TE and a 2nd year slot WR.

We have a WR1 who can’t get open and takes himself off the field every other play and a WR2 who’s the same boom/bust guy he’s been his entire career.  

It didn’t have to be this way, but hopefully our defense carries us if the offense can’t get it together because all the potential WR money for someone like Hopkins is on that side of the ball in Floyd & Poyer. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

We might be the only team that doesn’t have a RB screen in our tool box. Teams are blitzing Allen up the middle and an effective screen would quickly neutralize that. Teams are also spying on Allen preventing the run and yet it seems our WR’s/TE’s rarely beat their man. We seldom run crossing routes or even roll Josh out to put added pressure on the D.

In a nutshell, I don’t know what our offensive identity is any longer. Do they not have play designs to get Diggs open. The quick passing game is missed and it seems we are back to long developing plays rather than taking the easy stuff to open it up for deeper throws.  

Sherfield and Harty have been bad misses in FA. We have no speed deep threat.

Josh is showing some bad tendencies recently by throwing on the run across his body to the other side of the field. Those throws have been coming up short resulting in TO’s. 

They better figure it out next week against the Dolphins.

Running game, with PA from under center would work. More 12 personnel and perhaps putting Shakir in the one and Diggs in the slot. Remember Diggs got to where he is by being an incredible slot receiver.

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

New England was also holding a lot, and the refs were not calling it.

Three examples (two in one play). None were within 5 yards of the LOS:

IMG-5983.jpg

IMG-5982.jpg

I saw holding all day too. A lot of holds not called. But, that's football. It goes both ways. But I hear what you are saying as it chnages the outcome of a potential play being made. December football.....

1 minute ago, Matt_In_NH said:

He has always done that 

No he hasn’t. Not like this.

Diggs averages 80%+ every season he has been in Buffalo.

The past 3 games it has been 46%, 60%, and 65%.

Thats his lowest three game total in his Bills career. By far.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

No he hasn’t. Not like this.

Diggs averages 80%+ every season he has been in Buffalo.

The past 3 games it has been 46%, 60%, and 65%.

Thats his lowest three game total in his Bills career. By far.

You are right about the percentage.  He has had lots of 60s and 70s in 22.  The 46 was the cowboys game when they were running it.   I was just saying since he has been in buffalo he is often seen taking himself out.   They need more out of him and they say there is not injury.  He does not seem overly unhappy.  It is weird.   Things have changed in a bad way in terms of passing offense recently.  

One of the things that bugs me about the over the top criticism of Allen from a minority of posters that shows up on 2BD after Allen has an average game is just how perfect a fit his is for the Bills & Buffalo.  I can't imagine any QB available since 2017 that could have replicated Allen's success with the Bills.

How about 1st round picks in 2017?  Let's start with the best of them in Mahomes.  I doubt that he would have thrived as he has in KC under a defensive focused franchise with a defensive minded head coach.  Sure Mahomes would still have been good but he lacks some of Allen's attributes (proactive running ability) that was a unique fit for a Bills organization without great Offensive skill players and spending draft picks & FA money on building an elite D. Sorry but Bengamin at WR and Clay at TE were not going to make anyone forget about Hill & Kelsey.

Then there's Turbisky & Watson.  Enough said or is someone going to argue for those two over Allen?

In 2018 we have the busts like Darnold & Rosen and the average play of Mayfield.  Then there is Jackson who is likley to win a 2nd MVP but has only ONE playoff win on a team that makes the playoffs a lot.  No way he thrives on a Bills team that is unlikely to have put in a custom made O just for him.  They haven't done it for Allen so why do we think they would have for Jackson?

Burrow would have been nice but we would have needed to have the first pick in the draft to get him.  And do people think he would have thrived in Buffalo versus Cincinnati that had all those great WR's?

Or we could have waited until later drafts and grabbed "elite" talents like Zack Wilson, Justin Fields or Danial Jones (all of whom went higher then Allen).  Even Trevor Lawrence doesn't look like he's going to be anywhere near as productive as Allen.

Did I miss anyone?

So Allen is the perfect fit for the Bills and the city of Buffalo.  He is an elite QB who is ridiculously productive.  Is he perfect? No.  Can he play better, particularly cutting down TO's and being more consistent? Yes.  But even if Allen stops improving he is the best QB option we could have gotten over the last 7 years and we're damn lucky to have him.  And even if he doesn't improve any further he is more then good enough to lead the Bills to a Super Bowl win. 

So instead of worrying about what Allen needs to do to get a little better we need to focus on making sure the Bills - like the Chiefs, Bengals, Ravens and other teams with elite QB have done - focus the franchises resources against surrounding their top QB with all the necessary tools to optimize his performance.  Anything less and we'll be crying about what could have been for decades.

• Like (+1) 2

Brady got a bounce after Dorsey was fired. I think the players felt liberated. But the same problems keep reoccurring. The offense is way to vanilla overall and Brady cannot adjust that mid season. It was nice to see an actual sweep yesterday but thats all too rare. Their blocking schemes on run plays yesterday were too predictable and their lack of screens to burn the Pats constant blitzes and pressure were infuriating. That stupid lateral "hitch screen" like play should never be run again. it rarely goes anywhere and has been flat out dropped probably 10 times this season. I keep saying that they should attempt more gadget plays but when they have done them, they look so poorly executed it's as if they have been practiced once or twice. 

Overall, I think the Bills are not good enough on offense to be one of those old school teams that just tells the opposition, this is what we are going to do and we dont care if you know it, you cant stop it. They have to have some misdirection, trickery or cunning to their offense. It cannot win with just vanilla.

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Brady is a clear upgrade over Dorsey. However, the Bills passing offense isn't clicking. Its been problematic for multiple games. More specifically, Allen isn't playing or passing nearly as well as he's capable of. His vision seems off and maybe lacking some confidence, WR issues a plenty with stops not getting open, and or disappearing. That includes Diggs. The oline is leaking in pass protection. It's not just one issue that needs to improve or get corrected. It's a multitude of issues which likely isn't going to get fixed this year. 

Alpha trust your eyes and be honest here. The Bills passing game isn't anywhere near what is could or should be. It's taken a plunge from the offense of a few years ago. Don't get lost in statistics. 

I'm not saying the Bills offense sucks. Please don't take it that way. To its credit, Allen and the offense has done enough when it counts in crunch time. What I'm saying is the offense should be better. It has to be better to match on into the playoffs. It's fair to be concerned about the offense. It's fair to think maybe Brady's tendencies are being figured out. 

That wasn’t the discussion…he was defending Dorsey and saying he should still be here.  Which is just ludicrous 

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Allen's production this year is equal to or better then previous years with an uptick in INT's and reduction in lost fumbles.  The Bills O remains near the top of the league in offensive stats and the team is playing for an 11 - 6 record and a division title.  Similar to previous season results.  And they're doing this with a collection of offensive skill players that are not as good as those from previous years. 

I just don't see the evidence that Allen's off season activities has hurt his game compared to other far more likely explanations of his occasional struggles (coaching changes, injuries, uneven O line play, poor skill player performances, a D that has struggled due to injuries).

One big issue that has impacted Allen IMO is the defenses performance as a result of all the injuries.  Allen gave the Bills the lead with less then 2 minutes to play in 3 of the games they lost.  Had they held the lead in just 2 of those 3 games (playing against very bad Offenses in Denver & NE) the Bills would be 12 - 4.

His accuracy has been off the past 2 games.  He hasn't been terrible.  But certainly not spot on with his ball placement-not even close.  Our receivers do not get much separation if any at times.  But he still has missed some throws that he should make.  

If we are going on a run at least to the AFCCG he needs to be better regardless of the pieces around him.  He is the straw that stirs the drink-if you remember that saying from Reggie Jackson w the 1970's New York Yankees I believe.

21 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

CC: Joe Brady

I don’t think it had anything to do with them suddenly thinking Lamar was lefty lol it had everything to do with them thinking that weird body motion was Lamar handing off the ball to the rb and them getting confused by the presnap motion 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lenigmusx said:

Running game, with PA from under center would work. More 12 personnel and perhaps putting Shakir in the one and Diggs in the slot. Remember Diggs got to where he is by being an incredible slot receiver.

we are simply lacking speed in our WRs.  Defenses are challenging our WRs to burn them and they haven;t been able to do it.  This has made the 10-15 yard area very crowded.

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Josh needs a lot less golf and a lot more work on his mechanics and chemistry with his receivers this coming offseason.   He talked about getting back to his offseason mechanics training in the postgame today........but he's clearly not putting in the work he was prior to the 2021 season.    After 13 seconds I think he thought he had neared the pinnacle of his profession but he's regressed back closer to Cam Newton 2.0 than the passer he was then.   Time for him to get serious about winning before his own talent regresses back to the pack.

I am also wondering whether he prepares less during the weeks leading up to a game where they expect a ton of man coverage - “I’ll just see it and throw it” - but that doesn’t work too well when the o line is getting beat and his time to see it is limited.  The throws end up late and erratic.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

On the other hand, there were times when Brady drew up a really well designed play. For example, this pick play. 

It was ran perfectly on the weak side of the field and Shakir got wide open, but Allen simply never looked over there. He was locked onto the Diggs/Knox combo.

IMG-5986.jpg

IMG-5987.jpg

IMG-5988.jpg

IMG-5989.jpg

IMG-5990.jpg

Yikes shakir with an easy TD 

Allen has had a hard time finding the open guys (because they have been open)all year.  He also holds the ball for the guy 15 yards down the field until the short pass is no longer there and then he gets chased around and sometimes he makes a big play and sometimes he gets sacked.  Defenses are all playing for the deeper passes and throwing in blitzes and the short passes are (and have been) there every single game and Josh turns them down over and over again.  I for the life of me can't understand why Cook doesn't get more simple swing passes (as an extension of the running game) for the easy and 5 or 6 yards.  We start killing people with short passes they will have to adjust their defenses but to this point they adjusted by run blitzing more but ultimately they still play deep coverage because we just don't throw it short consistently.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Some pretty bad takes on here about Brady.  He is part of the reason we are in the playoffs.  Team clearly played more balanced offense despite passing game struggling at times.  The struggles of the offense are poor execution by qb and wrs.  Simple as that.  Weird pattern of blaming coaches on here for anything that doesnt work on the field.  Same with the "McD doesnt have these guys prepared" takes when they arent up by 3 TDs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

16 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Diggs is either aging before our eyes or carrying an injury

Most likely an injury. You don't have a great first half of the season to suddenly losing to "age"!

People are so fickle. Lots of guys play hurt. I'm guessing JA is too (before this game even happened).

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Some pretty bad takes on here about Brady.  He is part of the reason we are in the playoffs.  Team clearly played more balanced offense despite passing game struggling at times.  The struggles of the offense are poor execution by qb and wrs.  Simple as that.  Weird pattern of blaming coaches on here for anything that doesnt work on the field.  Same with the "McD doesnt have these guys prepared" takes when they arent up by 3 TDs. 

Absolutely right

”the team is too Josh Allen reliant”

has now switched to cook and the run game getting 30-40% more offensive touches 

soooo yeah passing numbers down

i see crazy complaints just look at it

”we are down in passing !!!”

yeah

didnt have to throw against Dallas - we hammered their weakness / smart move!

los Angeles 

we travel out west - it’s their superbowl - yes they played us tough - lots more at play than “oh we suck!!!”  Tough place to be o and play really - interim coach and new mojo to prove a point - we won 

this last game - idk - I maybe giving belechek more credit for his defense than I should but they have been playing excellent football on the defensive side of the ball.

two game winning streak against Pitt and Denver - playoff teams 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

If anything thank god for Brady because he is willing to lean on the running game which has been our best offense and probably saved us from more turnovers because I'm not sure throwing it 50 times in the last 4 or 5 games would have produced better results.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Dorsey was never the problem all long. Shocking… not. The guy was fired after a game in which the players shot themselves in the foot four times to lose the turnover battle 4-0.

The Giants game was wildly misconstrued as a bad game by the OC. The offense was nearly perfect in the second half of the Giants game and in the first half we had two drives end by WR’s getting their feet tangled up with the DB’s and Allen throwing an INT. 

The good news is the Dolphins defense should be the cure for our offensive woes. 

4 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Absolutely right

yeah

los Angeles 

we travel out west - it’s their superbowl - yes they played us tough - lots more at play than “oh we suck!!!”  Tough place to be o and play really - interim coach and new mojo to prove a point - we won 

this last game - idk - I maybe giving belechek more credit for his defense than I should but they have been playing excellent football on the defensive side of the ball.

I agree with all of this pretty much. 

I’ll be concerned if the offense doesn’t have a good game against the Dolphins trash defense. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Drew21PA said:

Absolutely right

yeah

los Angeles 

Numbers are one thing but the eye test is another.  WRs don't get seperation, Allen refuses to use the underneath short pass game, and Diggs is not playing like he was at the beginning of the season. 

Yeah everything is fine. 

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Dorsey was never the problem all long. Shocking… not. The guy was fired after a game in which the players shot themselves in the foot four times to lose the turnover battle 4-0.

The Giants game was wildly misconstrued as a bad game by the OC. The offense was nearly perfect in the second half of the Giants game and in the first half we had two drives end by WR’s getting their feet tangled up with the DB’s and Allen throwing an INT. 

The good news is the Dolphins defense should be the cure for our offensive woes. 

I agree with all of this pretty much. 

I’ll be concerned if the offense doesn’t have a good game against the Dolphins trash defense. 

Trash Defense?????????????

Outside yesterday's game, their defense has been on the rise and were holding teams to under 22 points in 7 of their last 9 games. Yeah their trash. 

I've been watching how defenses play Josh all season. One thing is 2 high safeties on most passing plays making it difficult to go deep. The other thing, teams are really bringing some heat with the pass rush.  Allen is constantly having to move from his stance after dropping back. He isn't able to go through his progressions and throw with timing. People talk about timing with other QBs all the time but we've been so spoiled with Allen's escapability, that it doesn't even occur to us, that he too must throw with timing when you are looking to dink and dunk. It is so critical to be able to throw those quick hitters when the defense is taking away the deep ball. Defenses have found a way to force short passes and also disrupt his timing. Allen loves those 15-30yd passes. That's what he excels at, but it's not available because of the way defenses are playing. Allen can play the short passing game, but it just seems he has a hard time getting into a rhythm.

Often what happens is Allen scrambles and the WRs have to also adjust to help him out. Allen excels at that backyard game, but it is not a sustainable way to play because it also can result in interceptions. Bottom line, Allen needs to keep working on those timing throws and so do the receivers. Sometimes he throws a perfect strike but man he puts some serious mustard on them and the WR can't catch that bullet. Allen is a great QB, but he isn't without his flaws. I hope he gets better at timing and touch.

Another thing that seems off is an ability to draw up lots of quick hitters. Plays where it's just a quick 3 step drop and the ball is out. We see it from time to time, but man, this team is super inconsistent with that. I think the offense has been working on evolving in many areas. The run game, better game planning, etc. Those timing passes need to be done over and over in practice though. Enough so that there is no thinking. It's just muscle memory. I think we're starting to see that with Shakir. Maybe, the coaches and practices are all ready working on these things.

Disclaimer: I am no coach and certainly no expert. Everything I've mentioned are just musings from a longtime fan. Every week there seems to be new challenges and new adjustments. I have no idea what is talked about in meetings or what the focus is in practice settings. I do get the impression though that the offense is constantly evolving, working and trying to find answers.

Just now, Jrb1979 said:

Trash Defense?????????????

Outside yesterday's game, their defense has been on the rise and were holding teams to under 22 points in 7 of their last 9 games. Yeah their trash. 

they’ve historically been really bad against QB’s that can run the ball and extend plays. Look at their last two games against the Ravens and the numbers Lamar has put up on them and the last 10 or so games Allen has played against them. 

Again I see it different against a good defense in NE

4 drops I think on the top of my head

does 20/30

1 TD oassing

2 TD running

200 yards passing look better?  

that’s would it should have been easily 

3 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

I've been watching how defenses play Josh all season. One thing is 2 high safeties on most passing plays making it difficult to go deep. The other thing, teams are really bringing some heat with the pass rush.  Allen is constantly having to move from his stance after dropping back. He isn't able to go through his progressions and throw with timing.

he’s been unbelievable and his year in keeping his sack numbers and sack yardage low this year. He’s going a great job of getting rid of the ball when he is under duress.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

IMG-5986.jpg

IMG-5987.jpg

IMG-5988.jpg

IMG-5989.jpg

IMG-5990.jpg

Allen can't be part of the issue. The WR's don't get separation. Next....

2 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Again I see it different against a good defense in NE

4 drops I think on the top of my head

does 20/30

1 TD oassing

2 TD running

200 yards passing look better?  

that’s would it should have been easily 

If we were playing ifs and buts then we could add in drops and we could also imagine that Allen hit his deep throws and didn't throw low and behind on half his throws and then he would have been 25 of 30 for 300 yards 2TD's passing and 2 rushing but it doesn't work like that.  WR's need to be better as much as Allen but Allen has the ball in his hands every play.

3 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

If we were playing ifs and buts then we could add in drops and we could also imagine that Allen hit his deep throws and didn't throw low and behind on half his throws and then he would have been 25 of 30 for 300 yards 2TD's passing and 2 rushing but it doesn't work like that.  WR's need to be better as much as Allen but Allen has the ball in his hands every play.

Ohhhhh kay

hey quickly do you consider the patriots defense excellent the last month and a half ?

24 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Most likely an injury. You don't have a great first half of the season to suddenly losing to "age"!

People are so fickle. Lots of guys play hurt. I'm guessing JA is too (before this game even happened).

If that were the case then he is effectively hurting the team. Have some one fully healthy step up, I'd like to see what Shakir or Kincaid could've done

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.